Anonymous Says It's Not Finished With Sony

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Not exactly germane, but I had a girlfriend in college that insisted on having me wear a Ronald Reagan mask whenever we did the nasty. Weird, huh? But I didn't care. It was some damn good nasty.

Sony has had this coming for a long time.

I was all for boycotting Sony after they forced their consumers to install a root kit virus on their machines in order to use the products they purchased. For Anon to come out and say "Boycott Sony" makes them seem like, I don't know... posers?

thaluikhain:

Snowalker:
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.

Though that's true, many people favouring that mask wouldn't have heard of him, and most wouldn't be interested in him at all otherwise.

Yeah, true, but its better that people know the history of things, don't ya think? I mean, sure most that don that mask hardly knows what it stands for, but don't you think they should?

linwolf:
To be fair I do agree that it was wrong of the court to let Sony "forced" sites like YouTube and PayPal to give up personal information about people who had watched GeoHot's videos or donated money to him. For me that is the same as giving the mop a list over people that speak against them.

But for me that is a problem with the court not Sony.

That's a good point. If anyone's to blame, it's the Magistrate that issued the subpoenas. If there was something foul afoot, it's the Magistrate's job to deny the subpoena request. Just because you ask your parents if you can eat nothing but ice cream for dinner doesn't mean that they have to grant that ridiculous request.

Snowalker:

thaluikhain:

Snowalker:
Not trying to be a dick, but Alan Moore isn't the one who came up with that mask, its a Guy Fawkes' mask... from, well, Guy Fawkes... just go look it up.

Though that's true, many people favouring that mask wouldn't have heard of him, and most wouldn't be interested in him at all otherwise.

Yeah, true, but its better that people know the history of things, don't ya think? I mean, sure most that dawn that mask hardly knows what it stands for, but don't you think they should?

If they are using it as a symbol of something, absolutely. And particularly because the person who chose to use that symbol in the piece of fiction they like didn't do so at random.

You mean "don that mask", I think.

People need to cut this crap out.

GeoHot isn't a righteous freedom fighter, laying his life on the line in the service of some higher cause.

He's an immature douche bag and an attention whore.

thaluikhain:

Snowalker:

thaluikhain:

Yeah, true, but its better that people know the history of things, don't ya think? I mean, sure most that dawn that mask hardly knows what it stands for, but don't you think they should?

If they are using it as a symbol of something, absolutely. And particularly because the person who chose to use that symbol in the piece of fiction they like didn't do so at random.

You mean "don that mask", I think.

Yeah, I did, I'll fix that

While I know he didn't pick it randomly, I don't think he elaborated upon its meaning, though he did leave strong... no he just never directly stated, sure most get the meaning, but the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting for catholicism (Albeit, more than that, but that was his plan, we've kinda given its own meaning)might deter people... In no way was I saying that Alan more was wrong in using, no, I loved the way it was used... I just don't much care for Anons use of it, if that makes sense.

Snowalker:
While I know he didn't pick it randomly, I don't think he elaborated upon its meaning, though he did leave strong... no he just never directly stated, sure most get the meaning, but the fact that Guy Fawkes was fighting for catholicism (Albeit, more than that, but that was his plan, we've kinda given its own meaning)might deter people... In no way was I saying that Alan more was wrong in using, no, I loved the way it was used... I just don't much care for Anons use of it, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I get what you mean. What is appropriate in a fictional work based on real events is not always going to be appropriate for real events based on a fictional work based on real events.

Where is the Anonymous I know and love, which demands respect through fear? Who are these pussies they've been replaced with?

Following laws, looking down on Sony for getting Dox (something anon never does, ammirite?), standing outside sony stores.

Poor effort, Less Moralf*gs please.

I hope they have some effect, however, we had 500,000 people protest in London over national cuts, and our leaders reaction was 'oh they're just being silly, they don't understand, pass me another list of hospitals and libraries to close please!'

If 1% of an entire country can be motivated to get up and go out and travel to the nation's capital, and get roundly ignored, then whatever proportion of 3,400 show up at a Sony Store, I sense are going to be easy to brush off by Sony's bigwigs, while making the poor staff at each store horribly nervous.

I guess I'm more in favour of action that directly affects the company, not just bugging the bottom rung of kids working in stores on the weekend to earn some pocket money or pay for their university education.

It's the same reason I very rarely complain in a store, because it's very rarely the staff's fault, it's some dick bringing in some company policy designed to trim a few pence off the budget and make life worse for everyone. Write to the people up top instead. OR in the Anon/Sony thing, bugger about with their sites etc instead :)

Logan Westbrook:

Go ahead. An IRL protest isn't going to have the effect they think.

On the internet, a small group can appear to be a giant force. Since it's a world that is virtually all talk, you're as big as your words appear. In the real world, though, you can't fake numbers. You can't fake force. If nine guys show up to a Sony store, that just looks like "annoying pranksters with delusions of importance." And the truth shall set you free.

And only 3,500 on Facebook? That's all over. And do you think they'll all show up? (See "internet is all talk" above) With Anon, this one isn't even going to be as big as their last--despite it being a bigger issue, the "newness" of the Anonymous protest is gone. You aren't even drawing the bandwagon novelty crowd.

You know that all this discussion about wearing a mask, be it a Guy Fawkes mask or a Ronald Reagan mask, may be irrelevant? In most states (including the more populous ones such as California, Texas, and Florida) it is illegal to wear a mask in public. If local law enforcement decides to enforce the anti-mask-wearing statutes, ain't hardly nobody gonna be wearing no masks at no protests.

Archangel357:

GeoHot isn't a righteous freedom fighter, laying his life on the line in the service of some higher cause.

He ain't called "EgoHot" in some quarters for nothing. He recently boasts on his blog that he got covered by NASDAQ's newsletter. As if NASDAQ's newsletter's up there with the New York Times, the Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal. I've no doubt he'd do sexual favors for a reporter from the Boise-Idaho Register if he thought that'd get his name mentioned.

Inglip:

AnythingOutstanding:

Snowalker:

Who cares?

Yeah, who cares about important history. It's not like it matters, bro.

Don't take pride in your ignorance.

I'm confused, we never talk about Guy Fawkes wearing a mask when we celebrate Guy Fawkes' day, he never even wore one to my knowledge, he was just a fanatic.

Guy Fawkes' day is just when we all get to break out the fireworks, yaaaay! ;D

Kind of hard to make out the voice there, Anonymous. :S
Interesting to see how many people will actually go protest tho!

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: That TV man looks silly! :D

No Calumon YOU look silly (check my avatar ... dont worry Ill delete it)

they wont be attending themselves? hmm some of them should just to prove they are as willing to risk themselves as they are others.

Anonymous needs to fuck off. Sony didn't force youtube and paypal to do anything, the court did when they granted the subpoena or injunction or whatever it was. The only people who are going to be punished here are those who use sony products.

Anonymous is making the gaming world hate them more and more by the day.

Archangel357:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think there is a Sony store in Boro... i may go to point and laugh, just for shits and giggles.

"Oh no, they'll continue to slightly annoy us?! What ever will we do?!"

Except they're not even planning to continue DDOS, so I can only assume they're going to...

Do what, exactly? Stand around with 'longcat is long' and other old-as-fuck memes written on signs? I'm sure that'll scare them.

This just doesn't inspire me the same way as the previous anti-Sony video did. Mostly because they used the same voice as the Arbiter in Arby and the Chief.

brumley53:

Legion:
I wonder if every single member of Anonymous has gotten rid of all of their Sony products including their PS3's and games, as well as TV's and so on?

Somehow I doubt it.

They probably tried but mummy wouldn't let them.

I find it funny that a very large percentage of anonymous is "edgy" 14 year olds who don't even know what they're talking about the other half are the people that were going to use Geohotz stuff to pirate games. either way anonymous doesn't give a shit about anyones "freedom" they just wan't to be able to say "Yeah I was a part of that, Look I was cool and I had power." It's fucking pathetic.

Good job not commenting on whether or not their actions are right. Instead blindly insulting/attacking the people involved. You'd make a great politician.

TheFPSisDead:

Archangel357:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

And the bitter-sweet irony is that being an incurable attention whore is precisely what got his dumb ass in hot water. His fanboys like to act as if the reason he published his root key was to aid others in restoring OtherOS and that he was in so doing performing some sort of altruistic public service. Public servant, my ass. He did it for the attention. And deservedly got Sony's attention -- in a big way. Doofus.

The Courts gave Sony that information, Sony just requested it.

And even when they did get it, far as I know it was for Attorney's eyes only, not publicly available and only used as evidence.

Quite frankly, I don't feel the enthusiasm from Anon anymore. This lawsuit has been twisted and manipulated on both sides, all this is only serving to confuse the public even more.

We sheep are easy to sway, after all.

AnythingOutstanding:

Snowalker:

AnythingOutstanding:
You know, I liked Alan Moore's story and all but I am getting a little tired of seeing that damn mask.

Who cares?

You, apparently.

I'm intrigued to see how this whole thing turns out, Anonymous' influence is pretty damn strong.

Snowalker:

AnythingOutstanding:
You know, I liked Alan Moore's story and all but I am getting a little tired of seeing that damn mask.

I somehow doubt that Anonymous would sport them if Moore hadn't popularized them. Or rather, if the terrible film adaptation hadn't.

Vanguard_Ex:

AnythingOutstanding:

Snowalker:

Who cares?

You, apparently.

I'm intrigued to see how this whole thing turns out, Anonymous' influence is pretty damn strong.

So, too, is the genetic predisposition to retardation that courses through their DNA.

Holy crap a DDoS attack, that will show those corporate bastards that we can take down their website!

/facepalm

AnythingOutstanding:

Snowalker:

AnythingOutstanding:

Who cares?

Well, you apparently. *points out*

Jumplion:
The Courts gave Sony that information, Sony just requested it.

And even when they did get it, far as I know it was for Attorney's eyes only, not publicly available and only used as evidence.

Quite frankly, I don't feel the enthusiasm from Anon anymore. This lawsuit has been twisted and manipulated on both sides, all this is only serving to confuse the public even more.

We sheep are easy to sway, after all.

The Court authorized Sony to subpoena PayPal, Google, BlueHost et al. for the information. That alone doesn't guarantee that Sony would have ever actually laid their greasy mitts on the information. In fact, BlueHost, one of the recipients of those subpoenas, filed their objections with the Court and were taking the position that they didn't have to cough it up and many of the others, e.g., Google, were, at the time the case settled, completely ignoring Sony.

Anonymouse ain't doing much more than making a tempest in a teacup and a mountain out of a molehill.

This video warms my heart.. That is, all the negative commentary it's getting.

I thought the internet was going down the drain even further with many people supporting 'anonymous'.. But it's not that much after all!

From the comments, which made me laugh:

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We are the biggest twats the world has ever seen.

Amen to that.

You know, its gotten to the point where they seem more like cyber terrorists rather than revolutionaries. What sony did albeit of questionable ethics was still perfectly legal which is more than can be said for anon. What really gets me tho is that they seem to think that they are trying to do a good thing and "freedom of speech" and all that nonsense that they preach. to which I ask then why the hell are you wasting your efforts on a company thats following the rules.

If you really want to prove yourselves take on China, Egypt?, Libya? you know the places that have had trouble with freedom of speech? Why not bring internet to China? My guess? theyre either hiding behind a guise of "free speech"to propel selfish motivations or they really are not as powerful as they claim to be... probably both

I love all the people saying anonymous is not organised or is all talk, well what have they done in the last year

The mastercard fiasco
Got the chairman of the HBGary fired
DDOS'd quite a few websites resulting in loss of time, information and money
Been aired on TV against the westboro baptist church and hacked their site
Increased freedom of speech by allowing wikileaks to publish more content (e.g. Zimbabwe)

Those are the ones I can think of the top of my head in the last year, there are more. To say they do nothing now is just plain ignorant

creager91:
You know, its gotten to the point where they seem more like cyber terrorists rather than revolutionaries. What sony did albeit of questionable ethics was still perfectly legal which is more than can be said for anon. What really gets me tho is that they seem to think that they are trying to do a good thing and "freedom of speech" and all that nonsense that they preach. to which I ask then why the hell are you wasting your efforts on a company thats following the rules.

These technology and copyright laws are fairly new with grey areas and uncertainty, these new laws are likely to be changed and if it can force a company to give up information then it wouldn't surprise me if it will change

Just because something is lawful doesn't make it good, slavery used to be legal does that make it good?

Vanguard_Ex:

AnythingOutstanding:

Snowalker:

Who cares?

You, apparently.

a bunch of kids and teens supporting e terrorist actions stalling the use of products for their "rebellion" against sony was really immature. EX the PSN. They have no real support and the ones that due support are mindless idiots who probably think communism works.

Anonymous reminds me of myself so much... That's what I used to be like

When I was a teenager.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook