Rumored Tech Specs Give Wii 2 More Power Than Xbox 360

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

lastwanderer:
i would have to say this all seems a bit fishy, these details especially the stuff about the controller all seem a bit well odd and jumbled especially when you consider how different it sounds from the wiimote.

as for the compaints about power the 360 has hardware from 5 or 6 years ago inside and it has still managed to keep up. its easy to forget how much power is used by layers of operating system and middleware on PC's. That conbined with the optimisation towards gaming that all consolle have would probably make it more powerful than you think, if the specs are right

Consoles haven't kept up at all, PC's just haven't been pushed. Play crysis 1, a PC game from 2007 and you'll see the truth. It's multiplatform sequel couldn't even top it because of the console roots of the game.

woops sorry read under

Baneat:
More than a 360

So? I'd be very, very suprised if it wasn't.

bomblord:
Could any tech heads maybe do a comparison of these specs vs the 360

ATI R700 GPU - These are the GPU's found on your ATI 47XX-48XX series cards. One such example would be to look at the best consumer card that falls under this, the 4870. The 4870 is marginally better than a 9800GT, and the 9800GT was popular(as a high-end card) around the 360's release.

So yeah, a little more powerful than a 360's a fair bet.

That being said, there's way too much that hasn't been properly revealed to assess it properly, 512 megs of RAM is pretty shit no matter which way you cut it, most current PC games need more to run than that without frequent loading screens.

Tri-core CPUs were in the 360, good to see it's in the Wii2 also.

This console will not be known for its graphics, I can assure you.

So the question is how much more it can do with the marginal bump then again these specs may be entirely false and we don't actually know the actual version of the cards of the clock speeds of Processor so it could be a little more than marginal also another rumor says IBM is making a custom 3 core processor for it

Eeh, touchscreen on the controller? I like normal controllers :/

Interesting. If it has a better game line up, I may take a look. As it stands, I'm happy with my PS3, 360, and the...three Wii games I own.

bomblord:
512mb ram if you read the article is the minimum based on what the processor needs and supports but as long as it's a good Processor I'll be happy i never expect bleeding edge performance from Nintendo but I do expect something more powerful than the current generation

keep in mind that a console doesnt have to really run an os like a pc does, therefor you can get away with a piddly lil amount of ram but still Im unconvinced of these specs since they do seem a bit low end but as I said, its a console, they always have low end specs and if ms and sony are planning on keeping their systems around till 2015 then nintendo will have a decent amount of time having the prettiest graphics on a console

Smells like bullshit to me.
And the 360 is kinda... you know... OBSOLETE.

gigastar:
So where does this leave the PS3 in terms of power?

Forget that, where's it leave the NGP?

I really hope everyone is keeping in mind that it's nothing more than a rumor. Also the importance of RAM is rather diminished on a console, It doesn't need to run multiple processes and an OS over what it's doing.

TheComfyChair:

lastwanderer:
i would have to say this all seems a bit fishy, these details especially the stuff about the controller all seem a bit well odd and jumbled especially when you consider how different it sounds from the wiimote.

as for the compaints about power the 360 has hardware from 5 or 6 years ago inside and it has still managed to keep up. its easy to forget how much power is used by layers of operating system and middleware on PC's. That conbined with the optimisation towards gaming that all consolle have would probably make it more powerful than you think, if the specs are right

Consoles haven't kept up at all, PC's just haven't been pushed. Play crysis 1, a PC game from 2007 and you'll see the truth. It's multiplatform sequel couldn't even top it because of the console roots of the game.

No, but Uncharted 2 did top it.

Matt_LRR:
I should hope it would be more powerful than a 7 year old system.

-m

My first thought. The xbox 360 is /old/ now. If it wasn't more powerful i'd be extremely surprised.

Why do fancy graphics equate to 'hardcore', exactly?

What's that inner self? You have feelings of... of OPTIMISM for this console? No, no, remember the Wii, remember what a crippling disappointment that was...

yep, optimistic feelings all gone.

So they are purposefully shooting for a new underpowered system, wow consider me underwhelmed yet again...

Wieke:
(Seriously, the R700 was two generations ago.)

Yet still of respectable power.

OutrageousEmu:

gigastar:

Dont compare handhelds to consoles. You just dont.

Wieke:

It reportedly includes a three-core custom IBM PowerPC CPU, an ATI R700 GPU, and 512 MB of RAM.

Please let this just be a rumour, that is some woefully atrocious hardware. Only 512 mb and an old graphics processor. (Seriously, the R700 was two generations ago.) Personally i'm hoping it contains some of that sexy new AMD Fusion hardware but it's probably to early for those.

The problem with current Fusion APUs is that they're aimed at low to medium end general purpose and multimedia systems.. which is to say the netbook, low end laptop, office desktop and HTPC markets. Excellent for those markets (and profitable, too) but not really something you'd use for HD gaming. Also, there's no way AMD would let any of their Fusion tech be put on an IBM custom CPU.

I do have to wonder why Nintendo would use a custom CPU when using off the shelf served them so well for the Wii, though.

dogstile:

Matt_LRR:
I should hope it would be more powerful than a 7 year old system.

-m

My first thought. The xbox 360 is /old/ now. If it wasn't more powerful i'd be extremely surprised.

If it wasn't more powerful it'd be a calculator. :D

y u mad tho?

What is the big deal.. Exactly how much horsepower do you want it to have considering its just going to be rehasing metroid, mario, zelda, DK, smash bros and the like. As for the specs, they arent.... too awful. You also have to consider the conversion from PC to console and the added advantages of not having to limit the hardwares capabilitys due to Direct X. Still, inexcusable. Of course if your building a new console, you dont shoot for the tech specs of the current generation, you shoot for the actual next generation.

And perhaps... maybe, just maybe, given that Nintendo HAS been somewhat solid in hardware sales they are thinking that they can use inferior parts and just release new consoles more frequently. I mean it would make more sense in a way, considering they typically run cheaper than other consoles, it is logical to assume they would use older parts.

EDIT: BTW.. does anyone have a name for it yet? Is it going to be Wii 2... Or perhaps Wiiii

OutrageousEmu:

TheComfyChair:

lastwanderer:

No, but Uncharted 2 did top it.

Uncharted 2 is good, but not crysis 1 good.

UC: 720p, cartoon graphics with some nice styling but ultimately small maps disguised as something bigger than they are. It has better facial and character animation though

C1: 1080p, amazing vistas, a game where you will watch the sun rise and it WILL send a shiver down your spine. Words cannot describe how advanced it still is compared to any other game. It is still the best looking game out there, and anyone saying otherwise really needs to actually play it.

Play both and you will see.

P.S. I like uncharted.
P.P.S. If a game seriously as pretty as crysis 1 appeared on ps3 the fanboys would having an orgy.

gigastar:

OutrageousEmu:

gigastar:

Dont compare handhelds to consoles. You just dont.

Calling the NGP a handheld doesn't really do it justice, given the power it contains. Effectively, its a home console that happens to have a battery and be small enough to carry around. As such, I think comparrisons are valid.

viranimus:

EDIT: BTW.. does anyone have a name for it yet? Is it going to be Wii 2... Or perhaps Wiiii

It'll obvioulsy be called the W-II

MrShadowzs:
"Project Cafe"
OH GOD, it seems hipsters have taken over nintendo

This seems wholly appropriate for such a revelation...

Anyways, I am interested...

As I posted in an identical thread yesterday making something more 'powerful' than the 360 should only cost about $200 American, probably enter the field at $250 if they want to make a profit. (That number is based off current consumer electronics, these guy get wholesale manufacturing deals and cuts probably closer to $150ea to produce for them).

The big question is will it have the same always connected firmware that is in the 3DS that will disable your box if it detects a firmware or white list change or annoying DRM protection...

512MB of RAM?
The R700 cards all have 512MB or higher (I think; I haven't seen a 4xxx card with less),and having less "normal" RAM that video RAM makes no practical sense... RAM prices are at an all-time low nowadays, so 4/8GB makes more sense.

You'd also want to have the ability to run DX11 (just to open up possibilities for developers working on other current-gen systems) as well as 64-bit processes (we're moving forward, people, don't fall behind!). There is no reason to make something "new" when it is out-spec'd by 3-4 year old systems. It's not like the "Wii mk.2" is coming out tomorrow, after all.

Wake me when they put an intel i7 2600 in it. And give it mouse/keyboard support.

So what if it is more powerful than the 360. Last time I checked, the Xbox is due for a new console in about 1 to 2 years. I full heartily expect so sort of announcement for the 720(for lack of a better name) to be in 2012 with a release date in 2013.

more power to help play the garbage we make it for. doesn't make sense why make another system when they'll most likely make shovelware for it anyway

Oh sweet Jesus, Nintendo? Sounds to me like you're over-complicating the controller, and putting sub-par parts in your system.

Get rid of this motion control, touchscreen gimmicky bollocks, give it 2GB of ram, and a GPU of similar power to the nVidia 5xx cards, and then you'll have a decent next-gen console. Either that, or watch it turn even more obsolete, to the point of Ps2 standards in a year. 2 years tops.

dududf:
That doesn't really say much, as the 360 has some really fucken old tech.

Seriously. Like 6 year old tech. I just looked it up. Wait till they show their new console, then we can judge Nintendo for being woefully inadequate in the hardware department. Because Microsoft and Sony are just going to blow this out of the water.

So the controller is basically a DS?

I could imagine being able to connect your 3DS or something to your, I dunno, "Pii" and flail it about.

I have to wonder, though, if the Pii (yes, I am going to call it that until otherwise stated) is slightly more powerful than the 360, I can only imagine how powerful Microsoft's/Sony's next console would be to make the Pii look weak by comparison.

Technology is fun, eh?

similar.squirrel:

They really don't, at least not in my opinion. The point people are making, myself included, is that Nintendo is bragging that it is BARELY topping a 6 year old system with already way obsolete technology. Microsoft and Sony are due for new consoles right about the same time, and they will, without question, use modern, up to date hardware, and blow this away.

gigastar:

Also its not good to trust speculation.

I'd put more trust in it being more powerful than 5-year-old tech, than it being less powerful than it. I would hope at least - if not then this is just going to start getting ridiculous (more so than it is already).

They really don't, at least not in my opinion. The point people are making, myself included, is that Nintendo is bragging that it is BARELY topping a 6 year old system with already way obsolete technology. Microsoft and Sony are due for new consoles right about the same time, and they will, without question, use modern, up to date hardware, and blow this away.

I don't recall them bragging about mostly because, This is still a rumor and should be treated with a grain of salt. Until we actually hear it comes from their mouth directly it'll always be a rumor.

Hahahahahaha.Wow.Those specs suck.

So basically Nintendo want to make a console with near enough the same power as the other existing consoles and try and edge in on that market? How the hell do they think that will work? Why by a brand new, top price console, which a)isn't much better than your existing one, b)is expensive and c)will end up with the same games thanks to multiplatforming.

This smells of failure.

Druyn:

similar.squirrel:

Bragging?? this is a rumor it's probably false Im betting it will significantly more powerful than either like another rumor said

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.