Anti-Gaming Television Episode Earns Official Complaint

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

U.K. consumers group Gamers' Voice has filed a formal complaint over an episode of The Wright Stuff that used footage from Modern Warfare 2 while attempting to draw links between violent videogames and a real-life gang killing.

16-year-old Agnes Sina-Inakoju was by all reports a promising student who hoped to study at Oxford before she was gunned down by a pair of scumbags while ordering a slice of pizza. The duo, both of whom were recently jailed for life, apparently assumed that members of a rival street gang would be hanging around inside the pizza shop when they opened fire, so they didn't bother checking to see who they were actually shooting at. That sad incident was the focus of a recent episode of daytime television talk-show The Wright Stuff, but instead of looking at socio-economic factors or the influence of gun culture, the show apparently went for the easy mark: violent videogames.

Video from the Modern Warfare 2 mission "No Russian" depicting a terrorist massacre of Russian civilians was used to introduce the segment, while Daily Mail columnist and regular Wright Stuff panelist Anne Diamond said violent games were obviously to blame for causing violent behavior, and that reports claiming otherwise should be ignored because they're "obviously" funded by the games industry and thus completely biased.

"We don't really need reports to tell us [that violent video games cause anti social behavior] do we?" she asked. "Common sense tells you if you expose a child to violent imagery and a lot of it for many hours a day for many years on end, it's going to have an effect."

Rather than "sinking to the same level as Anne Diamond" by calling people names on the internet, Gamers' Voice called on gamers to respond "eloquently and intellectually." To that end it filed a formal complaint with broadcaster Channel 5 protesting both the "unbalanced content" of the show and the "inexplicable" use of footage from an 18-rated game on a daytime television show. "Apparently at 10.30 in the morning during the school holidays, it's fine to show scenes from an 18 rated game to set context of how it causes violence," the group wrote, "which goes in some way the level ignorance of all involved in the program on the subject being discussed."

Do follow up on this issue if there are further developments.
This is relevant with my interests.

Holy crap, gamers are actually responding intelligently :O

btw is "The Wright Stuff" the equivalent of FOX in the land of fish and chips?

Good to see that Gamer's Voice is keeping it classy and responding the right way, but its a shame to see that they had to.

BoredDragon:

Nah, it's a nothing show. I'm not just dissing it for hurting my beloved gaming either, it is of literally no cultural or political interest. They could say whatever they wanted and no one would hear it.

that is just sickening, their comparing a video game to the (incredibly sad) shooting of a young girl by a local gang. It really sickens me to see broadcasters taking such a low shot at gamers. It is also (in my opinion) deeply dis respective to the girls family, to say that video games caused (or were a contributing factor to her death) when it it clearly social deprivation and gang culture which caused this incident.

and on a side note: a journalist from the mail... giving such points... that doesn't sit right with me

wellthis was just sad...

Generic Gamer:

BoredDragon:

Nah, it's a nothing show. I'm not just dissing it for hurting my beloved gaming either, it is of literally no cultural or political interest. They could say whatever they wanted and no one would hear it.

Unfortunately a lot of stay at home mums and middle aged people do watch it and hang on its every word. Thankfully it's not entirely right wing garbage like fox news.

Generic Gamer:

BoredDragon:

Sooo.....

Pretty much just like Fox?

Anyways, I'm really getting tired of this kind of crap. Glad to see people are responding in an intelligent way though.

"We don't really need reports to tell us [that violent video games cause anti social behavior] do we?" she asked. "Common sense tells you if you expose a child to violent imagery and a lot of it for many hours a day for many years on end, it's going to have an effect."

The biggest flaw in this argument is that they are showing footage from an 18+ game. A child shouldn't be playing that anyway. Any parent that lets their kid play it should be taking responsibility for it anyway, even though they won't. They'll just not give a damn and then act surprised and point fingers IF anything happens. Which if it was going to happen, it would have anyway, regardless of what video games they played.

Wow..is someone getting more ignorant toward gaming then FOX?

BoredDragon:

Sort of, it's just a shit TV program on a really bad TV channel. Try the Daily Mail if you want our version of FOX.

OT: No surprises there then, especially from a Daily Mail columnist.

Andy Chalk:

"We don't really need reports to tell us [that violent video games cause anti social behavior] do we?" she asked.

Basically, "You can easily have valid reports stating the contrary, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story." Textbook Daily Fail there.

I grew up watching Terminator, Robocop, X-Files, playing rated M games and other such things and I've never fired a gun in my life and any fights I got into weren't started by me. Where's your common sense now?

BoredDragon:

More like a retarded version of oprah,

Skip to about 2:43

You would think the show world try to connect real life gang violence to video games about gang violence like grand theft auto and saint's row and not call of duty a video game not about gangs.

I'll reply eloquently, to quote 'In Bruges': "[Insert name of drooling Daily Mail/ Wright Stuff muppet here] let's face it. And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a cunt. You're a cunt now, and you've always been a cunt. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger cunt. Maybe have some more cunt kids."

Andy Chalk:

...panelist Anne Diamond said violent games were obviously to blame for causing violent behavior, and that reports claiming otherwise should be ignored because they're "obviously" funded by the games industry and thus completely biased.

Wow ok... That's fair... So basically if you don't agree with us, you are biased and we will ignore you.

BoredDragon:

Not quite. Its a day time chat show for naive, moral guardian-esque housewives on an incredibly unpopular TV channel.

Our equivalent of FOX is probably the Daily Mail (tabloid paper), which the stupid woman in the article writes for.

Wright himself is just a smug twat.

Rex Fallout:

Generic Gamer:

BoredDragon:

Sooo.....

Pretty much just like Fox?

Fox has a huge audience all gagging to hear about how anyone further Left than the Republicans are Commies waiting to tax them to hell and assimilate their brains. You shouldn't underestimate the weight that steaming pile of shit holds over the public's opinions.

Way to be classy and intelligent Gamer's Voice. That is just what we need.

Of course there's no need to listen to the arguments and studies that counter your own- what is this, intelligent television?

Seriously, I am tired of people going unchallenged when they make these claims- good on you for calling them out on it, Gamer's Voice.

At first I was mildly intrigued by this, then I saw the words "Daily Mail" and "Channel 5". It was here that I realised there was no chance of any form of intelligent disccusion about the game or its content, or any refernece to real world factors which could have had an influence, occuring within the presence of such biased influences.

Seeing as I've started playing M-rated games at 9, read some violent novels along the way and watched violent movies, the fact that I haven't turned into a gun-toting psychopath should be good enough evidence against your theory, Ms. Diamond.

So they're ignoring all the things that made these people turn to gangs and all that? Alright then.

Woodsey:

BoredDragon:

Not quite. Its a day time chat show for naive, moral guardian-esque housewives on an incredibly unpopular TV channel.

Our equivalent of FOX is probably the Daily Mail (tabloid paper), which the stupid woman in the article writes for.

I thought "The Sun" was your version of FOX?

Ninjamedic:

BoredDragon:

More like a retarded version of oprah,

So just like Oprah then.

jurnag12:
Seeing as I've started playing M-rated games at 9, read some violent novels along the way and watched violent movies, the fact that I haven't turned into a gun-toting psychopath should be good enough evidence against your theory, Ms. Diamond.

No, see that's just proof that you've hidden your murderous rampages really, really well.

This is not a convincing argument, this is a one sided argument that uses video images out of context. Yes this is a violent video game, yes this scene is something that has happened and can continue to happen to those who are in the wrong mind set. Though this a an 18+ video game. No minor is supposed to have their hands on such a title unless the parents give the ok to actually purchase such a game. Most parents don't even care what kind of games their kids play yet some want the government to do something about it. The idea of video games affecting teens on how they think and act is sort of double sided and can be expressed on all medium. As me for example been playing violent video games like dead space, fallout, assassins creed, prince of persia, all since i was like 12 and i could be like the nicest guy out there. Many of my friends are the same way and they are not going out commit such crimes. All it takes for such people to commit crimes like this, is abusive lifes, disturbed minds, short tempers, and easily manipulated to do anything.

Andy Chalk:
"Apparently at 10.30 in the morning during the school holidays, it's fine to show scenes from an 18 rated game to set context of how it causes violence," the group wrote, "which goes in some way the level ignorance of all involved in the program on the subject being discussed."

Oh ho! Now something like that would get under the skin of anyone targeted by such a blow. Can't fault the logic.

I agree with the complaint. To have an entire group of people on a talk show hold up violent games and say that they turn people into murderers and anyone who says otherwise is being paid by those people who make those games is being unjust. Could they themselves be being paid by people who can't stand to let violence in video games exist? Those groups undeniably exist and could easily do what they want to to make their opinions heard.

Anyone who wants to see the episode click here and see for yourself, so long as you live in the UK.

Calumon: If what they say is true, and a bajillion people bought the last army... Call of... what's it called... game, then why am I still able to talk to people without being afraid of them hurting me?

Anne Diamond- "We don't really need reports to tell us [that violent video games cause anti social behavior] do we?"

No, Judgmental Fcukheads like you who are to lazy to try to understand the REAL problems are what cause anti social behavior.

Not that I don't agree that Gamer's Voice did the right thing, for they did, but will anyone take them seriously? The stay-at-home moms and elderly already think we are delinquents for sitting alone and using that "damned interwebs", as far as I know.

That is a new low.

Hopefully anyone that also sees fit to e-mail these people on the matter will be thoughtful enough to make their complaints in a calm, rational, intelligent manner. The people who respond to stuff like this with profanity-laden hate mail almost wind up doing more harm than good... I know it's upsetting, all you're doing is reinforcing the stereotype.

Irridium:

Sort of, it's just more shouty and retarded and only requires a reading age of three.

I complained about that show too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lord knows I wasn't gonna make an impact by myself.

Wait a second . . . people watch stuff Channel 5?!

Because "common sense" is an acceptable substitute for formal research. Good to know.

Irridium:
So they're ignoring all the things that made these people turn to gangs and all that? Alright then.

Woodsey:

BoredDragon:

Not quite. They're the most popular paper and they're owned by Murdoch, but they weigh in a lot more on celebrities and sport then they do on politics, although they do sometimes try and take turns at the whole "moral guardian" act.

They lie about a fair few things, but noticeably less than the Mail, and they are far less racist - although perhaps they just hide it better.

The Sun is where the masses go to feel like they've done their bit in keeping up with current affairs, the Mail is where nutjobs go to reinforce their paranoia, and because they really believe the shit they're reading. Not to say The Sun isn't bad, just less so.

Oh, and The Sun wanks itself silly over the idea that they're fighting the next World War in Iraq and Afghanistan - anything and everything to do with the army refers to them as "Our Boys".

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here