Rumor: Concept Designs for Nintendo's "Project Cafe" Surface

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rumor: Concept Designs for Nintendo's "Project Cafe" Surface

Grainy photos of what could be the Nintendo Wii successor are now available for perusal.

An overwhelming number of rumors have nearly confirmed a future E3 2011 Nintendo announcement of a new home console, possibly called "Project Cafe" and more powerful than the Xbox 360. Adding to the heap, three images of rumored Project Cafe concept art have now surfaced.

Project Cafe is said to feature a controller with an embedded touchscreen that might also stream games. These images show a touchscreen controller and accompanying text talks about "Screen Stream." The readable text says: "Screen Stream takes the 1080p image and pushes each rendered quarter to the player's personal screen." Following text hints that the television can then be turned off during a multiplayer game, allowing for private, local multiplayer. Further, a second paragraph of text may indicate that two players using the same Project Cafe can play different Virtual Console games on their controllers at the same time.

This would also seem to confirm that Project Cafe will bring Nintendo into the true HD era, as the Wii only supported a resolution of 480p. Super Mario Bros. in 1080p? Say it ain't so.

The problem with these images is that Project Cafe mock-ups have been flying around the internet since it was first unveiled by the rumor mill. These are pretty good fakes, if they're fake, as some of the little details in the images give them an official air: the side diagrams, the text that's only partially revealed, etc.

Of course, they could just be pretty good fakes designed to not look fake. Of all places, they were apparently first revealed on notorious message board 4chan. Nintendo is pretty good at keeping the lid on things, so we may have to wait a month-and-a-half until E3 2011 begins on June 7 to find out the truth.

Source: Reddit

That's... interesting
I think it could work if handled correctly.

"Of all places, they were apparently first revealed on notorious message board 4chan."

I lol'd.

OT: Even if its fake that looks damm fine. It could bring nintendo back into the brutal AAA war.

Crappy pun: That controller, it looks so touching

EDIT: So many puns in here. It makes me sad that mine sucked.

All that effort spent on ridding myself of the habit of looking down at the lights on my controller... meaningless!

Eh. Am I the only one who thought that the controllers were some kind of PSP?

Ok now I'm gonna call BS, 4 controllers each with it's own touch screen? A console powerful enough to rival the PS3 and 360? No, there's no way such a thing will exist without running over $600 (and I'm being generous). Also, if we get another new console, say goodbye to seeing less than $60 games cause it ain't happening as long as we keep investing in gimmicky and ludicrously expensive game consoles

I'm not feeling it.
See what I did there?
Cus the controllers have touch screens?
Feeling it?

Never mind.

Four Swords Adventures 3 anyone?

I would assume a real controller would look more like the DS than those controllers up there. I'm going with fake.

HankMan:
That's... interesting

Agreed.
For the sake of argument, and they are indeed real. (No project dolphin? Disappointing =()
If anyone could pull it off, it would be the big N.
I mean, they are at the forefront of the latest interface hardware, and seem to be more interested in incorporating it into gameplay rather than basing it around one off gimmicks that the game revolves around these days. (The other two seem perfectly happy to run with the 'me too' equivalents they bring to the table, much like the Wii did with it's initial lineup.)

Time will tell I suppose.

Like Gamecube controllers can be used with the Wii. Here's my money on the 3DS being an accepted substitute controller for whatever the final spec's of next gen is. Its already got the built in screen and motion control.

Well nintendo's investors meeting is the 26th so if they are making a new system im sure they would want to reassure their investors of it

qbanknight:
Ok now I'm gonna call BS, 4 controllers each with it's own touch screen? A console powerful enough to rival the PS3 and 360? No, there's no way such a thing will exist without running over $600 (and I'm being generous). Also, if we get another new console, say goodbye to seeing less than $60 games cause it ain't happening as long as we keep investing in gimmicky and ludicrously expensive game consoles

Why do you say that? Sony is finally profitable with the PS3 hardware at $299; by the time Nintendo launches its Wii 2 (assuming this is all correct) I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't launch a PS3-comparable console at that price range, even with the touch screens. Keep in mind that it'll likely only include one or two controllers bundled in.

HankMan:
That's... interesting

You good Sir, have placed me in stiches with your touching statement

But wait... if I read that broken off text right. You buy a console to place a 1080p inage onto the hand held system... PLEASE tell me a TV is involved here somewhere, and if it is, why do I wanna look at two screens at once (one up close on the hand held and one far away)

Well Movie Bob called it...I owe that man a beer. Still not buying this Nintendo I got enough consoles already.

The concept console looks like something MS would dream up for the next X-box release. I still like the look.
But the idea of touch screen controllers confuses me. I mean what's the point?
If they are trying to cross the lines between handheld and console gaming that fine and dandy. But how will it play? It seems kind of silly to be ignoring the TV and stare at the controller. If handled correctly it could make split screen shooters a great experience.
So yes I am apprehensive.
And await more news and confirmed specs.

tghm1801:
I'm not feeling it.
See what I did there?
Cus the controllers have touch screens?
Feeling it?

Never mind.

it's okay, trying to touch a sensitive subject like this can just be handling it all wrong

John Funk:

qbanknight:

Why do you say that? Sony is finally profitable with the PS3 hardware at $299; by the time Nintendo launches its Wii 2 (assuming this is all correct) I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't launch a PS3-comparable console at that price range, even with the touch screens. Keep in mind that it'll likely only include one or two controllers bundled in.

Oh I think they could enter the market for a decent price range, but whether or not they do is a different story. I get the feeling Nintendo might push something like this and try to get a bang for their buck. I'm estimating $499.99 - $599.99, as they state it's stronger than 360 and PS3, and I already know alot of people that wouldn't be able to resist that

didn't Kotaku reveal these days ago saying they were found on 4Chan's v/ board?

That controller looks like someones answer to "What do you get when you cross an XBOX360 controller with a PSP"

Tom Goldman:

How would Nintendo get the controllers to an adequate standard? The screen needs to be able to render the HD graphics to an incredibly high standard (I'm assuming it's not possible on the current DS handhelds). Would it be possible to do this and keep the controller a compact size? how do they plan to do the data transfer between console and controller? How much would something like this cost?

If this is truly real and Nintendo pull it off then it is beyond crazy awesome.

-Dragmire-:
That controller looks like someones answer to "What do you get when you cross an XBOX360 controller with a PSP"

You mean Gamecube controller.

So the touch screen appears to be just the tv screen shrunk down... lame.
I thought it would fuction like the DS's lower screen. Like here:
Would be pretty awesome playing SSFIV Arcade edition Café edidition... rite?

I hope those are fake. Those controllers look like a fan-made PSP design. And again, a bit expensive.

I'll just wait for Nintendo's official reveal though.

Celtic_Kerr:

John Funk:

qbanknight:
-snip-

-snip-

Oh I think they could enter the market for a decent price range, but whether or not they do is a different story. I get the feeling Nintendo might push something like this and try to get a bang for their buck. I'm estimating $499.99 - $599.99, as they state it's stronger than 360 and PS3, and I already know alot of people that wouldn't be able to resist that

It's not that difficult to build a system that rivals the competition(new tech vs old(er) tech). Your probably close on price, the controllers will probably go for around $100. It'd be neat if the 3DS could be used as a controller as it has the same features.

I'm more interested in what format games will be released, I think we're close to console AAA titles being completely digital for many reasons(mostly cost and drm related). Right now however Nintendo lags behind in cd disk space because they didn't need it and no one wants to go back to 5 disk games.

bomblord:

>easy portability from PC and Xbox 360

Basically, that translates to "runs DirectX". Since DirectX is a Microsoft technology and I really doubt that Microsoft will give Nintendo such a leg-up, I'm going to assume that's phony.

That said, if it does turn out the controllers have touch screens, then I called it elsewhere.

ah, here it is:

http://kotaku.com/#!5794002/and-here-come-the-flood-of-fake-wii-2-mock+ups

Congratulations, you have just reported on a source THAT CAME FROM 4CHAN.

Delusibeta:

bomblord:

>easy portability from PC and Xbox 360

Basically, that translates to "runs DirectX". Since DirectX is a Microsoft technology and I really doubt that Microsoft will give Nintendo such a leg-up, I'm going to assume that's phony.

That said, if it does turn out the controllers have touch screens, then I called it elsewhere.

Depends how much they paid microsoft. Pretty sure microsoft wouldn't say no to yummy yummy license fees.

Also, does anyone think microsoft would really defend the 360 or their future console if they can make tons of money from doing nothing extra? microsoft have as much loyalty to their platforms as the money they make off them. Look at how much they tried to destroy PC gaming in 2006/7 because the xbox could make them more money due to licensing fees from games and DLC. Microsoft would no doubt partner up with Nintendo it it meant free money.

GiantRaven:
How would Nintendo get the controllers to an adequate standard? The screen needs to be able to render the HD graphics to an incredibly high standard (I'm assuming it's not possible on the current DS handhelds). Would it be possible to do this and keep the controller a compact size? how do they plan to do the data transfer between console and controller? How much would something like this cost?

If this is truly real and Nintendo pull it off then it is beyond crazy awesome.

-Dragmire-:

You mean Gamecube controller.

Looks closer to an XBOX controller to me. Your right on the general shape but I was looking more at the button layout.

I don't think HD graphics are necessary on a controller, I think it'll be used in a similar way as the bottom screen on the DS ex. stats/inventory/map etc.. that way you don't have that info cluttering the screen and would allow for item use without slowing gameplay.
Besides HD looses value on a small screen where details are lost due to screen size as opposed to resolution.

-Dragmire-:
Looks closer to an XBOX controller to me. Your right on the general shape but I was looking more at the button layout.

Oops, you're right. A brain-fade on my part there. >_<

I don't think HD graphics are necessary on a controller, I think it'll be used in a similar way as the bottom screen on the DS ex. stats/inventory/map etc.. that way you don't have that info cluttering the screen and would allow for item use without slowing gameplay.
Besides HD looses value on a small screen where details are lost due to screen size as opposed to resolution.

The problem is with the idea that you can turn the television off and get privacy from other players in multiplayer games (mentioned in the article). The quality of visuals needs to be the same on the handheld and the television, otherwise...what's the point?

What you describe using a handheld screen for also sounds pretty awesome. Didn't certain Dreamcast games utilise a simpler version of the idea?

Something like this?

It's taken them this long to make something as good as/better than the 360/PS3? I cannot wait for the next console release from those two then..

GiantRaven:

-Dragmire-:

Oops, you're right. A brain-fade on my part there. >_<

Besides HD loses value on a small screen where details are lost due to screen size as opposed to resolution.

The problem is with the idea that you can turn the television off and get privacy from other players in multiplayer games (mentioned in the article). The quality of visuals needs to be the same on the handheld and the television, otherwise...what's the point?

What you describe using a handheld screen for also sounds pretty awesome. Didn't certain Dreamcast games utilise a simpler version of the idea?

I don't understand what turning off the tv has to do with privacy but I suppose it's convenient if you want to play and watch tv at the same time(I used to do it with the picture-in-picture feature on my tv). Seems odd to want extra privacy for multiplayer, I might be misinterpreting it, but it kind of defeats the purpose for multiplayer.

Tom Goldman:
The readable text says: "Screen Stream takes the 1080p image and pushes each rendered quarter to the player's personal screen."

This, to me, implies that the controller screen is not 1080p, but can condense a 1080p signal to whatever resolution the screen has.

Oh god... it's the DS Puns all over again!

If true, this is absolutely BRILLIANT. Why should I be forced to look at my ginormous HD plasma OLED 4D Megavision-enabled tv when I can spend that time staring at a crappy little game controller screen???

Sadly, I don't care enough to speculate whether these are legit or not. I'll just keep imagining everyone at Nintendo being sucked into a volcano with the little death animation Mario used to have... that 'feet in the air' death hop. Hehehe.

Wouldn't these screens be in Japanese? Or, Chinese? I'm not sure where Nintendo is based anymore, they're freaking everywhere.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.