Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sony Warns That PSN May Be Offline for Another Couple of Days

PSN is still down, and Sony is still keeping quiet about what's causing it.

If you were hoping to spend the Easter weekend playing on your PS3, you might want to stick with single player games thanks to Sony's ongoing network problems. Sony's Patrick Seybold has posted on the official PlayStation blog, saying that it might be a day or two before PSN is back up and running.

Seybold thanked PS3 owners for their patience, and said that he would keep them updated with any new information. Sony is yet to reveal the cause of these outages, although yesterday Sony's James Gallagher wrote on the European PlayStation blog that it might be the result of a third party deliberately targeting the service and attempting to bring it down. His post has since been edited and now also sports a warning that the service might be offline for an extended period.

If a third party really is causing the outages, the most likely candidate would seem to be Anonymous, which has recently attacked Sony for its actions against hacker George Hotz. As part of "Operation Sony," the group assaulted Sony-owned websites with denial of service of service attacks. PSN was also affected, but Anonymous later apologized for this and said it would leave the service alone in the future.

Unfortunately, Anonymous is not one cohesive whole, as demonstrated by a splinter group that was gathering up personal information like addresses and phone numbers about Sony executives and people involved in the trial for harassment purposes. This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children. It's not outside the realms of possibility that some other group has decided to attack PSN directly.

Whatever the reason it's down, hopefully, the service will be back up and running sooner rather than later, and the two-day warning is just a worst-case scenario.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Anonybugs? nasty.

I bet Sony ran the Playstation Network through a single fiber optic cable, and someone accidentally dug it up and damaged it in the process.

Well this sucks, first time I get time off work in ages and all of psn down for a couple of days.

If a certain group were deliberately trying to harm Anonymous, this would be an excellent frame.

Equally if an interested party was too require the network to be down for some time and wanted someone to blame.

While Anonymous splinters, the power to do something like that often rests in the hands of more than a splinter.

"If you were hoping to spend the Easter weekend playing on your PS3, you might want to stick with single player games"

That's what I planned anyway so no change for me. If it is Anon, IF, then it's probably going back to doing what they know they can do since their protest was pretty much a huge flop.

The Artificially Prolonged:
Well this sucks, first time I get time off work in ages and all of psn down for a couple of days.

Yeah I know what you mean, I finally done studying and this happens :(

Apparently, the problem's in Japan.
Source.

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.

Well, this is bad. Hopefully they can fix it fast. Feel sorry for the PS3-players out there who want to play on-line.

And i wonder what the cause is... Can it truly be some group who just wants to harm Sony? Or something else?

EDIT: and as I made my post, someone already posted a Tweet about the problem being in Japan. Well i guess i got quarter-ninjad or something like that. Poor me.

Mortal Kombat was released here yesterday. I bought it yesterday. LET ME PLAY MK ONLINE!

Well, that sucks. Good thing I bought Portal 2 for the 360. I haven't tried to get on the PSN for a few days. I didn't even realize there was a problem.

The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!

I doubt Anonymous is responsible for this. I think at this point they want to use Anonymous as a scapegoat as opposed to "Sony made a major whoopsie that we don't know how to resolve yet." I don't play PSN games so this doesn't affect me in that regard BUT I do like using Netflix on my PS3 and not being able to use that does piss me off quite a bit.

Not to start a fanboy war, but really, even before these attacks, the PSN's uptime compared to Xbox Live has been nothing but atrocious. I think Live goes down for like 3 days of total time in a given day, while the PSN seems to be down for a week at the most inconvenient times.

SamFisher202:
I bet Sony ran the Playstation Network through a single fiber optic cable, and someone accidentally dug it up and damaged it in the process.

looks like the little old lady from Georgia strikes again!!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.275652-Elderly-Woman-Pokes-Cable-Cuts-Internet-Access-in-Three-Countries?page=1

yourbeliefs:
I doubt Anonymous is responsible for this. I think at this point they want to use Anonymous as a scapegoat as opposed to "Sony made a major whoopsie that we don't know how to resolve yet."

Wait a minute, who would try to use Anonymous as a scapegoat...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108015-Anonymous-Hacks-Westboro-Baptist-Church-on-Live-Talk-Show

OMG!!! Westboro Baptist Church is HACKING PSN!!!111oneoneone!!!

The-Epicly-Named-Man:
The day Portal 2 comes out in Europe, and along with that Steam Cloud on PS3, is the day that they decide attack PSN! F*ck you Anonymous, f*ck you in the face with a screwdriver!

Pretty much this. No, exactly this.

This is also, in fact, the only weekend i'll get a chance to play portal 2 for a month, and I was looking forward to doing it on my pc.

Bah.

Edit: I actually haven't checked just throwing in the online code into steam first, since it said you had to sign into steam via ps3 first in the game box. So I'll have to try that, really, if I can just use this code and play portal 2 as normal, well...

The-Epicly-Named-Man:

I highly doubt it's anonymous, just due to the fact that in all of anon's history of operation they've never missed an opertunity to claim credit for their actions.

Sounds like this is probably Sony's problem. If it was from an outside attack they would have placed blame already. The fact that they are not saying anything makes me think it's solely their own fault and they majorly fucked up in some way.

Delusibeta:
Source.

I'm going to say that Anonymous isn't responsible for this, and rather someone in Sony of Japan cocked up.

More likely the result of the rolling blackouts caused by the earthquake. Even data centers are being affected. Sony's just trying to make Anonymous look bad.

Logan Westbrook:
This group is also interested in the families of those involved, with one member lamenting that no one had found any information on Sony CEO Howard Stringer's children.

I look forward to seeing how much anonymity will help these crazy "hackivists" while being pounded in some hellish prison.

Because deliberately targeting children for intimidation WILL get you in a metric shit-ton of trouble and get more than the Treasury Department involved, it'll get the FBI's Child Protection bully boys to kick down the door to your mom's basement and drag you away by your short and curlies.

Its much easier to blame anonymous than to admit they screwed up, BIG TIME! ... Denial of Service attacks end when they are ended. It'll be another 2 days? Either some equipment failed or someone internally really screwed something up.

Delusibeta:
Source.

I thought it was something like that when I first heard the news that psn was down. Sony is incompetent enough to do this to themselves.

First of all, if it was Anonymous, not only would they have admitted it but they probably would've even given us a warning.

But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves... like they did when it was last Leap Year and a similar thing happened.

The-Epicly-Named-Man:

Hmm... and every copy of Portal 2 on PS3 can unlock a version on Steam.

So this blackout would drive many PS3 users to try playing Portal 2 on Steam on their PC.

And Sony suggest a third party may be responsible;

I was told about this by a friend only a hour ago. They chose a good weekend to screw up.

Meh, I can't say that I'm worried. I've just been playing through Motorstorm and Killzone 2 so I don't really need online for now. And web browser still works so I can still watch videosþ

So Steam comes out on PS3 and then the PSN is down...

Interesting.

Someone spilled Coke on the console didn't they :P

Oh noo, people might have to find something else to do for a few days.. Seriously though, I have a friend who has an xbox, and he is into the whole console war thing. I have a ps3, but Im not an avid user, and when this happened a few months back he was all over this, like bees to honey. "ooh good service from your PSN there, network down for a day!" pfft..

GonzoGamer:
I thought it was something like that when I first heard the news that psn was down. Sony is incompetent enough to do this to themselves.

Snipped due to irrelevance.

But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves... like they did when it was last Leap Year and a similar thing happened.

Yes because rolling blackouts because of the sixth biggest earthquake ever recorded has nothing to with it. It's all Sony being incompetent and having crappy service...

Get over yourself man.

Really the only thing that sucks about this is Netflix requires me to be logged into the PSN to access it. I've gotten it for let me watch something once without being logged in, but now it outright refuses, and I don't like being locked out of a program I'm paying for.

That said, I'm not really angry about it. I understand that things happen, and they can take time to fix. Just kind of annoyed.

GonzoGamer:

But really I think Sony has proven that their support of psn/ps3 is crappy enough that the most plausible explanation is that they screwed it up themselves...

I wouldn't call it Sony's screwup if Japan suffers a catastrophic natural disaster, nuclear meltdown and decimation of their energy infrastructure causing rolling blackouts.

The only way this is "their screwup" is basing some of their servers in the country where their business is actually based! Which no one can fault them for.

icyneesan:
Someone spilled Coke on the console didn't they :P

It was beer... I would believe...

im not going to say anything until anonymous confirms or deny's if this is an attack, sony would say anything to protect its image and the last thing they want people to do is view them similar to that church.

Outright Villainy:

The-Epicly-Named-Man:

Pretty much this. No, exactly this.

This is also, in fact, the only weekend i'll get a chance to play portal 2 for a month, and I was looking forward to doing it on my pc.

Bah.

Edit: I actually haven't checked just throwing in the online code into steam first, since it said you had to sign into steam via ps3 first in the game box. So I'll have to try that, really, if I can just use this code and play portal 2 as normal, well...

I'm agreeing with you two. If it is Anonymous, then screw those guys. With a red hot steel cactus up the rectum. If it's just some stupid technical difficulties in Japan due to earth quake issues, then I wish them the best of luck coping with them over there. I don't mind Anonymous taking on groups like WBC who spew hatered and violence, but to knock out peoples' ability to enjoy their games just because some dumbass hacker is getting harassed by the company? Not cool.

HankMan:

Delusibeta:
Source.

More likely the result of the rolling blackouts caused by the earthquake. Even data centers are being affected. Sony's just trying to make Anonymous look bad.

Nah, they already did that by fucking with Sony's customers.

Regardless of what is the reason for this, today was the first time in owning my PS3 for four years that I tried to use the online, and of course it's down.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here