Square Enix Trademarks Hitman: Absolution for Rumored E3 Reveal

Square Enix Trademarks Hitman: Absolution for Rumored E3 Reveal

After five years, the fifth game in the Hitman series could finally have a name.

It's been a well-known fact that the Hitman series is getting a fifth installment, but developer IO Interactive and publisher Square Enix have remained tight-lipped concerning any details on the game, including the title. However, with a recent filing with the OHIM (which I can't help but pronounce as "Oh, him"), the EU's trademark and copywrite division, Square Enix seems to have finally given us something to call the upcoming stealth game: Hitman: Absolution.

It certainly sounds like the title of a Hitman game, following in the vein of previous titles Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money. It also comes at an appropriate time, if the game is planned for a June E3 reveal, at which the recent Hitman ARG seems to point.

The ARG also revealed what little information we have on the game, and when I say very little, I mean very little. Pretty much just that Agent 47, the protagonist of the previous games, will again be the lead role, so no surprises there. There's also been some speculation that the game will have something to do with Toronto, Canada, but it's not exactly what I would call solid.

A new Hitman game is certainly something to get excited about. The last one, Blood Money, game out in 2006, and introduced the staging of lethal 'accidents' and food poisonings to the series, which really makes you feel like a stealthy angel of death.

How do you top that? Allowing the player to rig up elaborate Rube Goldberg death machines?

Actually, that would be pretty awesome. You hear that, IO Interactive? Rube Goldberg death machines.

You're welcome.

Source: Joystiq

*clears throat*

YES! Finally some info, I LOVE Hitman, I can't wait for more garrotty-goodness! :D this had made my month

Time for new levels of frustration to be discovered

Scott Bullock:
Actually, that would be pretty awesome. You hear that, IO Interactive? Rube Goldberg death machines.

If they did include "Rube Goldberg death machines", This game would absolutely murder the competition when it gets released.

Best times I had in this game is where I was "The Ghost". I wonder how this one will end up being, but with that, I hope Square Enix doesn't cock it up.

I can't help but being sceptic. Looking at the failure that is kane and lynch 2, i fear square will fuck up the hitman series with a 3 hour long installment or some shit.

NicoDK:
I can't help but being sceptic. Looking at the failure that is kane and lynch 2, i fear square will fuck up the hitman series with a 3 hour long installment or some shit.

Don't blame Square. They didn't really influence the development. They're rather hands-off with their Western/Eidos studios, from what I hear.

That fail was all developer.

Quite possibly my favorite franchise. Cant wait.

If this is real, I have only two words to say about this. They are: DO WANT.

Can't wait. Still playing Blood Money from time to time. One of my favorite games of ALLLLLLLLLLL time. I hope they bring back the almighty coin.

Blood Money is one of the best games.

This is one of the few games I'm looking forward to without knowing anything about it.

I just remembered I bought the Hitman pack during the holiday Steam sale and haven't played it yet, score!

Deshin:
*clears throat*

YES! Finally some info, I LOVE Hitman, I can't wait for more garrotty-goodness! :D this had made my month

Surely you mean "sniping/silencer-goodness"!

And agreed, one of my favourite franchises, it's waaaaaaaaay overdue :D

Really happy to see it too, considering Splinter Cell tossed away the stealth and.. well, quality, there's too few stealth franchises on the market these days :(

Isn't Square Enix the company behind Final Fantasy games? Have they always had the Hitman franchise?

If not... then shit.

Square Enix purchased Eidos after Blood Money came out. Luckily they tend to be a hands off publisher, so the game should (hopefully) be good quality.

Yikes, "Absolution"... I sure hope nothing bad will happen to 47. Getting killed or leaving after just four games would suck, IMO.

First off, you could already kill people with poisoned food in Silent Assassin.

Speaking of which, I wish that they would return to the HUGE levels of that game - I liked Blood Money, but the levels, while varied, were a bit small for my tastes, compared to the Japanese mountains and that one ginormous hospital area from Silent Assassin.

Yay! Joy-gasms abound!

Hell.

Fucking.

YES!

*---List of Sequels That Are More Than Likely Not Gonna Be Made But Should---*
-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-

The Real Sandman:
Hell.

Fucking.

YES!

-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is meant to be actualy coming out... some time in the very distant future.

OT: JIZZ IN MY PANTS!

The Real Sandman:
Hell.

Fucking.

YES!

-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-

TimeSplitters 4 was also in pre-production for a long time before the company was sold off. Whoever hold the rights now has likely begun that process.

As for myself, I really hope this doesn't turn into vaporware, because if it does, I'll have to vaporize a few people.

HankMan:

If they did include "Rube Goldberg death machines", This game would absolutely murder the competition when it gets released.

You have to stop doing that dude. You're killing me.

How has it taken this long just to get the possible title of the next installment of what is one of the best game series ever? I mean, who doesn't like Hitman?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here