Notch Requiring Licenses for Minecraft Mod Developers

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Notch Requiring Licenses for Minecraft Mod Developers

Mojang is implementing a plan that'll give players the power to become officially licensed Minecraft mod developers.

One of the primary issues Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has been deliberating over for the final version of the game is how he wants to handle mods, a term typically used to refer to user-made alterations of a game's basic components. For example, this. He and Mojang have come to a decision on the matter which will create an official Minecraft mod developer license deal.

Notch recently wrote on his blog that two major issues were making him hesitant to create an official Minecraft mod API. They include "preventing people from making money off [Mojang's] work (unless they have a license deal with [Mojang])" and "making sure mods don't break with each game update." So, official mod developers will now have to sign up for a license deal. Problem solved.

As a licensed mod developer, users will be able to download Minecraft's source code direct from Mojang, and it'll be updated anytime a change is made. Each developer, which could refer to a team of people, will receive a unique certificate to sign his/her/their mods. This will enable players to know who's making what and to return to developers they enjoy.

The plan was originally going to cost money to weed out those that weren't serious about mod making, but a negative response caused Notch to scratch the monetary entry fee about 15 minutes after it was first announced. Notch adds that Mojang might end up purchasing the best mods and selling them, possibly through a mod marketplace, or it might integrate certain mods into the main game. There's no timetable for when this system will be in place, but it'll likely come before or around Minecraft's official release date of November 11, 2011.

sounds like pulling a kotick

Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.

Its good they scrapped the paying idea, but the damage to notch's reputation is already done.

wow, he went from bedroom indie to 'Apple style' overwatch in record time!!

seriously... you would think developers in the 90s didn't make any money at all...

wtf!? they gave you free dev tools, un-managed lan multiplayer ect... they basically just gave you the game and let you do what ever you wanted with it! they didn't go bust!??

I hear that even to play lan minecraft you have to have a net connection to sign into some mojang server...

wtf is wrong with people... surely this guy is already set for life...

As a modder, fuck you and your license notch.

Prof.Beany:
Selling mods?
Unless the mod devs get 100% of the profit I think thats a bit of a dick move, Notch getting paid for what was already meant to be free and all that.

considering Mjoang will buy the mod, Im also sure the people will receive a portion of the sale in the marketplace.

Still though, releasing your source code is tricky to say the least, this might of been a better idea then just going at it without getting a license.

Well, you can never have too much money!

But I don't care for mods anyway so it won't affect me in any way.

Prof.Beany:
Selling mods?

After he already bought the mod from the devs. Valve does that, its not that unusual.

If im reading this right, this licence will allow modders to easily update their mods with each new patch, and will also make it easier to determine which mod belongs to which modder. Is that about right?

Fair enough.

Before, people moaned that the mods would break on an update. Now, he tries to fix that, and everyone calls him a fucking twat (essentially). Right then.

jawakiller:

Prof.Beany:
Selling mods?

After he already bought the mod from the devs. Valve does that, its not that unusual.

I'll say. That's what I thought of first when I heard about Notch doing this. "Oh, he's doing a Valve thing." Which isn't too bad, but as someone mentioned above, releasing source-code is a tricky business.

WanderingFool:
If im reading this right, this licence will allow modders to easily update their mods with each new patch, and will also make it easier to determine which mod belongs to which modder. Is that about right?

Its already easy to do without a license and is already done. This is just another layer of shit.

It's still early and still a mess, after he changed the price part the whole subject got blurry, and he still has to work the changes with his lawyer to release a new explanation of how it will be, I think he means the mods will be sold by the developers in a minecraft store, not sure how it will be work.

MasterSaji:

jawakiller:

Prof.Beany:
Selling mods?

I'll say. That's what I thought of first when I heard about Notch doing this. "Oh, he's doing a Valve thing." Which isn't too bad, but as someone mentioned above, releasing source-code is a tricky business.

Source code for a major AAA title that has a huge online component is a problem, a hit indie game that is more Co-op than anything and is no where near as complex is not a problem.

This really goes against the spirit of modifications. They are done for free for the community.

AC10:
This really goes against the spirit of modifications. They are done for free for the community.

And this right here is the problem. All notch is doing is trying to keep the cash flow coming in but I make mods for fun if your a modder in it for money your not a modder your a Dev so go get a fucking job in the industry.

Woodsey:

Fair enough.

Before, people moaned that the mods would break on an update. Now, he tries to fix that, and everyone calls him a fucking twat (essentially). Right then.

My thoughts exactly.

Also I don't think anyone would be happy to hand over the source code of their game to ANYONE just like that, I understand why Notch and co. would have preferred the "pay for license" deal and he has every right to.

PettingZOOPONY:

MasterSaji:

jawakiller:

Source code for a major AAA title that has a huge online component is a problem, a hit indie game that is more Co-op than anything and is no where near as complex is not a problem.

I assume the problem is more in wanting to make sure your work is protected rather than the complications of the code.

If I'm understanding this correctly, your overracting a bit zoopony. He's only entertaining the idea of selling mods, and only after he has bought them from the mod dev. In addition, this is mostly a legal security measure, to ensure that anyone that has the source code and does something stupid like, say, try to make minecraft TEH RIPOFF with it, will be in a position to be seriouslly shat upon in courts. You'll still be allowed to make mods by yourself, this is simply a legal measure.

People really need to take the whole, "mods may be sold" thing with a grain of salt. Remember when torches were supposed to go out after some time and lanterns would be the new permanent light fixture? This is all subject to change but at its core it isn't about making money off of mods it's allowing modders to be able to not have their mods get screwy and go down for a week or more every time a new update comes out.

o ho ho ho, that will be interesting! im looking forward to see minecraft-crusaders trying to defend THIS!

RejjeN:

Woodsey:

Fair enough.

My thoughts exactly.

Also I don't think anyone would be happy to hand over the source code of their game to ANYONE just like that, I understand why Notch and co. would have preferred the "pay for license" deal and he has every right to.

People just bitch whine about everything Notch does or doesn't do. It's getting old.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is everyone whining about?

All the man is doing is attempting to increase the compatibility of his game with modders.

The license doesn't cost anything, so why not? Get yourself an official Mojang modder license. Sounds like a pretty awesome thing to have, in my opinion.

As for selling the best mods... as has been said, Valve does that. And people love them for it.

nyttyn:
If I'm understanding this correctly, your overracting a bit zoopony. He's only entertaining the idea of selling mods, and only after he has bought them from the mod dev. In addition, this is mostly a legal security measure, to ensure that anyone that has the source code and does something stupid like, say, try to make minecraft TEH RIPOFF with it, will be in a position to be seriouslly shat upon in courts. You'll still be allowed to make mods by yourself, this is simply a legal measure.

The problem is the source code has been out for some time now and no one has done anything with it but make mods better, only shitty modders bitch about patches breaking their mods, the good ones expect it. This is just another layer bullshit of Notch actually trying to control mods which goes against the whole modding community.

Bad move to have even suggested charging people to mod his game, very bad move and disappointing to see. Thank god he redacted it sharpish, lol!

Free licensing of mods is an interesting idea as a way of controlling his ip whilst aiming to make it as mod-friendly as possible - that's a problem many mod teams face; trying to do more than the code can support, but being unable to change the code as the developer needs to protect it. Heck, this way dedicated fans could even clean his code up for him XD

Take elder scrolls or most other games on pc as an exacmple. Elder scrolls have a lot of FREE NON OFFICIAL mods available. There are communities out there for Fallout 3 that have hundreds of mods to fix the game or make you a god. So having official api won't change anything. Unofficial mods will still be there to be used.

Wicky_42:
Bad move to have even suggested charging people to mod his game, very bad move and disappointing to see. Thank god he redacted it sharpish, lol!

Free licensing of mods is an interesting idea as a way of controlling his ip whilst aiming to make it as mod-friendly as possible - that's a problem many mod teams face; trying to do more than the code can support, but being unable to change the code as the developer needs to protect it. Heck, this way dedicated fans could even clean his code up for him XD

They already have been without the license, the game is already mod friendly, the license makes it less so. The Mod community is fickle and will jump ship a lot already are.

Mr Thin:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is everyone whining about?

All the man is doing is attempting to increase the compatibility of his game with modders.

The license doesn't cost anything, so why not? Get yourself an official Mojang modder license. Sounds like a pretty awesome thing to have, in my opinion.

As for selling the best mods... as has been said, Valve does that. And people love them for it.

Lots of people on the internet read either just the tag line, or the tag line and a couple sentences in a news post like this before commentin. Sometimes its the Escapists fault for makin really terrible headlines that dont actually match what is said in the article (That one from way back where Obama was said to be "Attackin video games" then if you actually read the article all he says is he wanted kids to get out more often and barely mentioned video games). Other times its just people jumpin the gun and bein well...yeah.

Really theres absolutely nothin wrong with this plan. Its free and it automatically sends you source code updates without needin to figure out what changed on your own. Plus if someone has a great mod idea that Notch likes you can get some actually money for it. Whats not to like?

This thread should just get locked because Notch has already agreed to let everyone see his damn source code for his million dollar game for free. But this news thread will immortalize the time that he was DARING to think about putting a cost on seeing the source code obfuscated. How DARE Notch do that. How DARE Notch put a barrier between 12 year old script kiddies and getting the full un-censored code of Notch's breakout game?

Is the code really worth nothing to people?!

As a licensed mod developer, users will be able to download Minecraft's source code direct from Mojang, and it'll be updated anytime a change is made...

HerbertTheHamster:
sounds like pulling a kotick

How the HELL does THAT sound like Kotick to you? Notch has even made the license FREE. Notch will provide Mojang's personal SVN server to everyone who has registered to get the very latest minute code changes. FOR FREE. To ensure Mods won't break from version to version. This isn't anything like Kotick.

What a PERFECT first post for this thread! Q.E.D., this thread will never STOP being filled with whiners. Because of that first post and the thread title.

Can someone explain to me how this is a bad thing?

I mean with actual facts, not completely pulled-out-of the ass conclusions you've jumped to.

From what I can tell, he's just giving people the opportunity to make their mods more "official". Also from what I can tell, this wont affect anyone who is already making mods freely. This is only to prevent people from making money from their mods without a licensing agreement.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but both the blog and this thread seem to imply the same thing and I'm not sure where all these complaints are coming from.

AC10:

Mods will still be free. He's just making sure nobody out there is triyng to profit from mods or making mods that can fuck up the game.

PettingZOOPONY:

AC10:

And this right here is the problem. All notch is doing is trying to keep the cash flow coming in but I make mods for fun if your a modder in it for money your not a modder your a Dev so go get a fucking job in the industry.

PettingZOOPONY:

AC10:

This is mainly to prevent people from selling mods or making mods that fuck up your game. Assuring a certain level of quality.
You're still free to mod as much and for free as much as you want to, you're only required to register and accept the terms for free.
What effect does this have on people who mod for fun? No effect.
Prevents malicious mods? Yes.
Prevents sale/theft of the source code? Yes.
Makes it easier to implement great mods into the core game? Yes.

Woodsey:

Fair enough.

Remember Woodsey, we're all idiots, we can never make our mind up

A grim news indeed...

Isn't the point of mods to extend the life-time of a game for no price at all? And besides, it's extremely easy extract the game files and edit them already, so why would you need to lock the game only for modders? Unless Notch makes an extremely easy-to-use dev kit, I don't see the point of any of this. =\

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here