Writer Says L.A. Noire Melds Story and Gameplay

Writer Says L.A. Noire Melds Story and Gameplay

The designers of L.A. Noire answered questions after screening the game at the Tribeca Film Festival.

Everyone here at The Escapist office is looking forward to what L.A. Noire brings to the videogame industry. Using the facial animation tech combined with gameplay that promises more than just shooting a gun, Rockstar's homage to the corruption of 1940's Hollywood might just change the mainstream's perception of games. Last night, L.A. Noire became the first videogame presented at the Tribeca Film Festival as an official selection and the game's writer/director Brendan McNamara stayed for a panel afterwards to answer questions from the packed house. McNamara wants L.A. Noire to shoot the moon and become a seminal moment in the development of the medium.

"We wanna get out of science fiction, fantasy in the back of the bookstore," McNamara said. "We want to get into the front, the more general section, and bring that audience in.

"One of the things we wanted to do was take exposition away from cut scenes and make that part of the game. We didn't want to do 'exposition, game, exposition, game.' It's all part of an attempt to address a potentially bigger audience," he said.

McNamara knows that he can't predict how his game will be received but he desperately wants it to be well-respected. "Ultimately, we'll have to judge by whether the audiences buys into this - whether it's a good game that they want to go out and buy, and a watershed-moment type of game," McNamara said. "It might be hugely egotistical, but we're hoping for both of those things."

One of the reasons that McNamara thinks that L.A. Noire has a soul is because he could provide a singular vision by being the lead writer and director. "I think that as much as there are a lot of people working on a game, they are kind of personal statements in a way," McNamara said. "If you have the opportunity to work on a big forum, you should have something that you want to say."

I'm not sure that McNamara can be called a game auteur like Sid Meier, Warren Spector or Peter Molyneux, but if Noire works when it comes out on May 17th, he may get on the short list.

Source: Wired

I WANT THIS GAMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEE!!!

just love mysteries

this is interesting how he wants to push the medium of gaming and blend that with the level of films but how was the response to the game from the viewers at the festival?

I'm guessing I am alone in still hoping this will be a GTA IV clone? Rockstar are clearly going for something very different (a rather pedestrian homage to Hollywood and film noir(e)). Still perhaps there will be a GTA announcement at E3.

tigermilk:
I'm guessing I am alone in still hoping this will be a GTA IV clone? Rockstar are clearly going for something very different (a rather pedestrian homage to Hollywood and film noir(e)). Still perhaps there will be a GTA announcement at E3.

I don't know why you don't want something different.
Also, I doubt it will be "pedestrian." Rockstar has been doing complex stories very well

Good, one thing that I didnt like in their previous games was how the characters were so alive in the cutscenes but then in the gameplay they just wandered around stupidly without any interaction beetween you and the character, I often found myself rushing the mission just to watch the next cutscene.

It's being released on May 17th?

Wow, I didn't know that. Shame there's no PC release, but my 360 totin' friend's been looking forward to this one for years, so I'll no doubt get to see the game in action through him.

tigermilk:
I'm guessing I am alone in still hoping this will be a GTA IV clone? ... Still perhaps there will be a GTA announcement at E3.

A weird hope to have. If they're gonna go with a different IP they may as well try and experiment. If you're into your GTA I'm almost positive they'll have more of that in the works; GTA 4 sold like hot donuts (which I maintain to this day are nicer and more worthy of purchase than hot cakes).

I trust Rockstar to move the medium forward more than David Cage.

The game seems to be a Telltale game with action bits, which is the highest praise I can muster for it.

That said, this amazing face recognition technology to me looks like everyone's been posessed with evil animated rubber masks. Obviously my standards are that much higher than everyone else's.

Psychotic-ishSOB:

tigermilk:

Also, I doubt it will be "pedestrian." Rockstar has been doing complex stories very well

I don't want something different as I loved GTA IV (my favourite game in over 20 years of gaming).

Rockstar (circa GTA IV) did complex stories very well. Personally unless I was missing something I was let down by the story of RDR. In terms of LA Noire the trailers haven't really sold me on the dialogue (I find hard boiled dialogue is very rarely emulated well Brick (Johnson 2005)being a recent exception). I also felt there were often thematic problems in film noir(e)s where the protagonist was a police officer (The Big Heat (Lang 1953) being a noticable exception). Essentially I want more GTA and am a little to previous about film noir(e)s heritage.

tigermilk:

Psychotic-ishSOB:

tigermilk:

I don't want something different as I loved GTA IV (my favourite game in over 20 years of gaming).

Rockstar (circa GTA IV) did complex stories very well. Personally unless I was missing something I was let down by the story of RDR. In terms of LA Noire the trailers haven't really sold me on the dialogue (I find hard boiled dialogue is very rarely emulated well Brick (Johnson 2005)being a recent exception). I also felt there were often thematic problems in film noir(e)s where the protagonist was a police officer (The Big Heat (Lang 1953) being a noticable exception). Essentially I want more GTA and am a little to previous about film noir(e)s heritage.

I think you did miss something, because I thought RDR had one of the greatest stories of any vg. Moral ambiguity, social commentary, subtext, a deconstruction of the western, etc. L.A. Noire's dialogue seems very natural so far. I haven't gotten a 1940s cheesy noir vibe, because the only noir I know are L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, and Brick

Greg Tito:
"We wanna get out of science fiction, fantasy in the back of the bookstore," McNamara said. "We want to get into the front, the more general section, and bring that audience in.

And as usual science fiction and fantasy get shat on.

Psychotic-ishSOB:

tigermilk:

Psychotic-ishSOB:

I think you did miss something, because I thought RDR had one of the greatest stories of any vg. Moral ambiguity, social commentary, subtext, a deconstruction of the western, etc. L.A. Noire's dialogue seems very natural so far. I haven't gotten a 1940s cheesy noir vibe, because the only noir I know are L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, and Brick

While I could see the "death of the Western" being played out in RDR I guess there must have been something there I missed, I may well go back to it (or more likely do a couple of google searches). For me it just wasn't as biting as GTA IV's post 9/11 angst and general sombre tone, personally I considered it the greatest noir(e) since Blade Runner.

L.A. Confidential, Chinatown and Brick are all great films. If you get a chance I would recommend checking out some noir(e)'s from the "classic period".

EDIT: Perhaps the "Death of the Western" is an analogy for a post 9/11 malaise. Thankyou certainly food for thought.

tigermilk:
Essentially I want more GTA...

Then go play some more GTA. There's like five or six of them, not to mention competent copycats like Saint's Row.

Fronzel:

tigermilk:
Essentially I want more GTA...

Then go play some more GTA. There's like five or six of them, not to mention competent copycats like Saint's Row.

For me nothing compares to GTA IV, Saints Row 2 in my opinion was a crass abomination of a game. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I don't care what ANYBODY says, this game is going to turn out to be spectacular.
The trailers and gameplay videos are undeniably awesome. I have such high hopes for LA Noire.

And the best part is, it has no multiplayer! I don't have to be bothered by annoying idiots while I'm playing it!

Rock Star suck (at releasing games on the PC that is)

I'm getting a very "Phoenix Wrightish but with guns" vibe from LA Noire... Seeing as Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is my personal favourite game ever that's definately a good thing...

Please, Please, Please Don't let Cole Phelps have a turning radius!

Greg Tito:
I'm not sure that McNamara can be called a game auteur like Sid Meier, Warren Spector or Peter Molyneux, but if Noire works when it comes out on May 17th, he may get on the short list.

Huh, weird. I had just posted a thread on the subject of auteurs and I hadn't even read the article yet. Coincidence? Probably.

I do think that video games should adopt a more central, auteur style of developing as it generally leads to a more focused kind of game both in story and gameplay (depending on how competent the director is, of course). It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for L.A. Noire.

Color me extremely excited for this game.

It's beyond ridiculous how hyped up I am for this game. It's only going end badly for me now...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.