Some Good News Surfaces Regarding PSN Catastrophe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Some Good News Surfaces Regarding PSN Catastrophe

Every cloud has a silver lining, and here are two ways in which Sony's PSN disaster isn't as bad as it could have been - if only slightly.

There's no question that Sony's PSN debacle - now including the full breach of all of your private information - is an unmitigated disaster. But Giant Bomb has done some digging to uncover some ways in which it's somewhat less terrible.

First, Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek got in touch with representatives at both Bank of America and Chase, who informed him that they had not been notified by Sony of any breaches regarding credit-card information. This doesn't mean that such breaches didn't happen, of course, but if they did and Sony did not notify banks then it's in a heap of legal trouble - which makes it less likely than it might have been.

Second, Valve says that anyone who linked their Steam account with PSN to play Portal 2 is not in danger (other than any information lost via PSN, of course). "Steam has nothing to do with the PSN outage," said a Valve representative. Good thing, too - I was getting worried about my TF2 achievements.

That's the silver lining, folks - two ways in which this tremendous screw-up is marginally less tremendous than it might have been.

The sad part is that this is the best news Sony might hear all day. Wow, that really puts it all in perspective, huh?

(Giant Bomb)

God. I haven't been to GiantBomb in forever. The forums there don't really like the Escapist, if my memory serves.

But my Steam account is getting a password change, anyway. It used the same one as my PSN account, after all.

Sony needs to stay on top of this legal shit. I don't blame them for being hacked, but I blame them if they hid this information from anyone.

So, my Steam achievements are safe, but Sony may be violating a federal law. That doesn't make me feel any better.

None of this news is making me feel all that better about this whole thing. I guess the credit card thing is good, I guess.
The Steam connection thing doesn't affect me, I never linked my PSN to my Steam. It's good news for those who have though.

Still pretty bad, still a lot of pissed off people with very few answers in sight.

Wow. That's some incredibly insignificant silver lining you got there. Cheers to Sony for the Megafail of the decade.

Yay! My non existent Steam account is safe!

So is my fucking toaster. How exactly is that good news? Thanks for trivializing the matter, Valve.

Steam is safe: Thank God No one touched Sasha!

Yeah, not really good news...
Sony may be facing a fraud charge (it is actually not unlikely) and I never had the chance to link my steam account since Portal 2 came out the 21st here (no portal on steam for me >.<)
Besides, it should be obvious that steam and psn are separate, but nice of them to confirm. Now maybe they could drop that damn link and let me use my code without PSN confirmation?? I mean, special circumstances?

They also didn't tell users about it until about a week after. That's likely why they're not admitting that the credit card info has been stolen, to cover their asses. That way if it turns out it was, they can just say 'oh, we didn't know it was stolen' and save themselves the legal trouble for the most part. And, in the very, very slim chance it wasn't stolen, they can avoid having to admit it's been stolen without being 120% sure it is. It all stinks of them covering their own asses more then protecting the people who use their service.

As for the Valve stuff... I'm really not that impressed by that, but any good news is welcome I suppose.

sir.rutthed:
Wow. That's some incredibly insignificant silver lining you got there. Cheers to Sony for the Megafail of the decade.

Really? This is the 'megafail' of the decade? It's horrible for PSN users, don't get me wrong, but there's so much worse going on on a much higher level in my opinion. I will say this is likely the worst thing to happen to gamers in particular in the history of gaming though. I can't think of anything worse then having every user of a single system losing all of their privacy information like that.

GeorgW:
Sony may be facing a fraud charge (it is actually not unlikely) and I never had the chance to link my steam account since Portal 2 came out the 21st here (no portal on steam for me >.<)

Off-topic: Not until 21st? Stores around here sold Portal 2 when the Countdown reached 00:00:00, 3 who days before it should xD

Won't be a good day to be working at Sony when/if they get sued =/

Here's hoping all I have to do is change my passwords.

well at least i think i dnt have to wrry about changing my credit card number...i think but just in case im goona run through a nice security check list just in case

For the first good thing, im not certain how thats a good thing, unless its a confirmation that we can break out the lawsuit papers.

For the second thing, living in Europe, by the time i got Portal 2, PSN was already down.

therandombear:

GeorgW:

Off-topic: Not until 21st? Stores around here sold Portal 2 when the Countdown reached 00:00:00, 3 who days before it should xD

Aw man, that's just evil >.< What store?

GeorgW:

therandombear:

GeorgW:

Aw man, that's just evil >.< What store?

GameStop, Game and other local electronics retail stores.

Kapol:

sir.rutthed:

Really? This is the 'megafail' of the decade? It's horrible for PSN users, don't get me wrong, but there's so much worse going on on a much higher level in my opinion. I will say this is likely the worst thing to happen to gamers in particular in the history of gaming though. I can't think of anything worse then having every user of a single system losing all of their privacy information like that.

Ya, that's what I meant. Sorry, should have been more specific.

Kapol:
They also didn't tell users about it until about a week after. That's likely why they're not admitting that the credit card info has been stolen, to cover their asses. That way if it turns out it was, they can just say 'oh, we didn't know it was stolen' and save themselves the legal trouble for the most part. And, in the very, very slim chance it wasn't stolen, they can avoid having to admit it's been stolen without being 120% sure it is. It all stinks of them covering their own asses more then protecting the people who use their service.

Considering "I didn't know" is less a defense than admission of guilt, I'd be more prone to say the "silver lining" is that is that it calls into question of the legitimacy of the claim.

Before about 4 hours ago, a lot of us were taking the hacker claims by Sony to be a lame defense for their unreadyness to deal with a malfunction, and not lose a good chance to take a jab at the pirates cutting into their sales. Now, well, my first instinct was to ask why not checking this information was somehow less imporatnt than trying to get portal 2 back online. That was followed by questions about if the authorities have been notified, or the banks. Heck, Sony didn't even claim the data was stolen, just that it "might have been". It reeks of someone not afraid of any littigation for an act (or rather a lack of an act) certain to get them sued either by private individuals, or the banks and insurance companies that'd get stuck for the fraudualant purchases made in the week they didn't tell us.

Granted, that's the conspiracy theory part of my brain talking. I don't normally listen to it and will still cancel my card.

Onyx Oblivion:
God. I haven't been to GiantBomb in forever. The forums there don't really like the Escapist, if my memory serves.

But my Steam account is getting a password change, anyway. It used the same one as my PSN account, after all.

Sony needs to stay on top of this legal shit. I don't blame them for being hacked, but I blame them if they hid this information from anyone.

How the hell are you nearly the first post in every thread I see?

And how is it that you basically summarized my thoughts?

I'm not too pissed at Sony to be honest, shit happens and there's not much you can do if you're hacked. What does piss me off, however, is that Sony have been keeping us in the dark with anything going on. Their communication skills with their customers have always been terrible, it's great to see they're continuing that tradition. All they've said is "we'll keep you posted," "we're working quickly to resolve the issue" "we're working day and night to ensure safety", that is not good enough. We need answers and we need them fast, especially in a situation like this.

Jumplion:

Onyx Oblivion:

With PSN down, I am LIVING off the Escapist.

Onyx Oblivion:

Jumplion:

Onyx Oblivion:

With PSN down, I am LIVING off the Escapist.

And only now have I realized we are not friends on PSN.

And I can't add you 3:

I want to play the Sly Collection but I'm too afraid to turn on my PS3 until this is all resolved.

sheic99:
So, my Steam achievements are safe, but Sony may be violating a federal law. That doesn't make me feel any better.

What's more likely, they're violating the law or that they haven't released the information because there's been nothing to release? All Sony said was they can't confirm either way what has been taken, if they knew for sure something had been taken they'd have a legal obligation to be honest about it and really I don't see them covering it up when it'd be very easily exposed. Keep in mind they've just come out of a legal battle that surely cost them quite a bit of money and that PSN was shut down as soon as they detected the intrusion so the hackers didn't have much time to access data.

This, along with the fact that my bank account hasn't been touched since 3 days ago, has put my mind at ease. Not that I'm going to stop keeping an eye on my statement or anything, I have confidence in Sony but not that much.

Jumplion:
We need answers and we need them fast, especially in a situation like this.

At any other time I'd agree completely but given the enormity of what the hackers might have accessed I think they wanted to get the best experts they could find to give their opinion, just think how badly they must have wanted to be able to conclusively say credit card information wasn't touched.

Sapient Pearwood:

sheic99:

What's more likely, they're violating the law or that they haven't released the information because there's been nothing to release? All Sony said was they can't confirm either way what has been taken, if they knew for sure something had been taken they'd have a legal obligation to be honest about it and really I don't see them covering it up when it'd be very easily exposed. Keep in mind they've just come out of a legal battle that surely cost them quite a bit of money and that PSN was shut down as soon as they detected the intrusion so the hackers didn't have much time to access data.

This, along with the fact that my bank account hasn't been touched since 3 days ago, has put my mind at ease. Not that I'm going to stop keeping an eye on my statement or anything, I have confidence in Sony but not that much.

Sony should have alerted the banks as soon as they suspected the hackers could have that information. And then begin their investigation to see if the took it.

That's weird, I just canceled my current credit card and the people told me that they were aware of what happened. Either a lot of people called or Sony sent out memos.

John Funk:

First, Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek got in touch with representatives at both Bank of America and Chase, who informed him that they had not been notified by Sony of any breaches regarding credit-card information. This doesn't mean that such breaches didn't happen, of course, but if they did and Sony did not notify banks then it's in a heap of legal trouble - which makes it less likely than it might have been.

Considering their track record I wouldn't bet on it.

sheic99:

Sony should have alerted the banks as soon as they suspected the hackers could have that information. And then begin their investigation to see if the took it.

I got the impression that's what happened, that's why it's taken a week to hear from them.

sir.rutthed:

decade just started lets not call it to soon this will be in the top ten tho

The more I read, the more I just shake my head and go, "Can I please just get back to syncing my trophies?"

Hey, you have to eat a poop sandwich, but as a silver lining, I'm sure it's not gonna give you cancer or anything.

sir.rutthed:

Give them a break. Its only been 4 (or 16) months. I'm sure someone will come along and knock that record down.

John Funk:

Or it's just as likely that Sony is continuing it's trend of piss poor handling of this entire incident. I'd still be really worried if I had left my CC info in my PSN account.

Sapient Pearwood:

sheic99:

I got the impression that's what happened, that's why it's taken a week to hear from them.

Sapient Pearwood:

sheic99:

Then why did it take them a week to contact banks, that their system was compromised. Both the consumer and the bank within the first day, instead of waiting all this time.

sheic99:

Then why did it take them a week to contact banks, that their system was compromised. Both the consumer and the bank within the first day, instead of waiting all this time.

Probably because they weren't sure. Just imagine the backlash they would have got if they caused their customers to cancel their credit cards if it turned out there was no reason to worry.

Sapient Pearwood:

sheic99:

Probably because they weren't sure. Just imagine the backlash they would have got if they caused their customers to cancel their credit cards if it turned out there was no reason to worry.

As compared to the backlash they'd receive from fraudulant charges made in the week.....waita minute. You may be right. I don't know what a credit card replacement fee is on average, but the cost of covering those in the event of them being wrong is probably a lot higher than the amount they'll proably have to cover in fraudulant charges made on those credit cards should a class action suit find Sony liable for any charges made in the week customers were unaware.

It's what we call in business class: a ford pinto moment.

Still, banks could have been contacted in private on day one to keep an eye open for odd charges, which is the point of contacting them in the first place.

Yeah Sony has messed up a lot however I highly doubt their legal teams would let them go without notifying banks that a major leak of credit and/or bank info has been leaked. Not telling the general public right away is one thing, as in not really a legal issue, however not notifying banks can cause legal repercussions and such so I doubt the legal dept. would not have notified banks(and I am sure Sony has a top legal dept. haha)
So to me that says that there is a good chance that no actually info has been leaked and this may be getting blown out of proportion as they have yet confirmed that info was stolen they have so far only used maybe, possibly and other terms for liability reasons so if someone says they never told anyone they can claim they notified users of the possibility.

Redd the Sock:
Still, banks could have been contacted in private on day one to keep an eye open for odd charges, which is the point of contacting them in the first place.

It does kind of come across as a textbook situation as to what to do when your system has been hacked this thoroughly, first take the system down, then get an expert in and if you can't absolutely confirm no credit card information was decrypted before they shut it down inform people about that possibility. As Saito said this is a massive company with trained lawyers who know exactly how much shit they'd be in if they didn't report to banks so my guess would be they're fulfilling their legal duties rather than admitting something probably was stolen. Or it could be they have contacted banks and requested that the banks don't report about it but I don't think that's likely since they're reporting it themselves.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.