Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Thief 4 Gives Deus Ex the Boot at Eidos Montreal

With work on Deus Ex: Human Revolution winding down and work on Thief 4 kicking into full swing, Eidos Montreal's floor space is making a major transition.

Many large videogame studios have multiple projects going on at any given moment, but - as with any office - space is usually a premium. Naturally, you want all your designers and producers in one spot to make communication easier, and they need to be able to zip on over to the artists and programmers when they need something.

According to Deus Ex: Human Revolution art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, the Thief 4 team has usurped the Deus Ex team's primary floor space at Eidos Montreal. "We've ramped down, and they've ramped up," Jacques-Belletete told Eurogamer. "The main production floor is occupied by them now. We're occupying a lesser space."

The transition felt a bit odd, said the Deus Ex director. "For the past four years all the directors on Deus Ex were sitting in the same area, with tons of concept art and design papers all pinned up on the walls ... the day we went to take them down all the directors of Thief were sitting in our places. It was a weird day." Of course they were sitting there, Jonathan. They're making a thievery game - they're bound to be sneaky.

While Jacques-Belletete was adamant that he couldn't reveal any details about the game - and that the Thief 4 team was entirely separate from the Deus Ex crew - he promised that the franchise was "in really good hands ... It's a really kickass team [on Thief 4]," he assured gamers, "some great people."

"I cannot say anything about the game apart from that it'll rock your shorts."

Eidos Montreal had previously confirmed Thief 4's existence, but the game still has yet to be formally revealed. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is out this August.

(Eurogamer)

Based on how good Deus Ex is looking, this just reminds me of how close it is to coming out.

Hopefully Thief 4 gets the same love that Deus Ex did. I haven't played any games in the series before but I've heard many good things about it.

I think I speak for everyone about Deus Ex when I say... please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck pleasedon'tsuck.

What's Thief 4? The only game I know of that sounds like that is Thi-Four-FFFF. Thief 4 does sound like a much better title for a game but hey I'M not in the industry so maybe I don't know.

rembrandtqeinstein:
I think I speak for everyone about Deus Ex when I say... please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck pleasedon'tsuck.

yes, you speak for me, that's for sure.

I'll add:
Dear Eidos Montreal,
Please don't mess up these games that were incredible PC franchises and completely ruin our nostalgia!
Thanks.

I hope Human Revolutions turns out to be Deus Ex Lundis.

Okay.. fuck Human Revolution, there's going to be a Thief 4?

Excuse me while I go jump around making squeaking noises.

Well, good to hear Deus Ex is getting completed. Hopefully they didn't rush anything and the game will be awesome as some sort of delicious sauce.

Deus Ex and Thief being revived has resulted in extreme excitement. I'm having a fanboy moment, folks! Even I'm surprised...

Yahtzee!
(in both the name and the term)

evilthecat:
Okay.. fuck Human Revolution, there's going to be a Thief 4?

Excuse me while I go jump around making squeaking noises.

^
This, very much this.

Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...

Deus mortuus est:
Now let's just hope that they go and do another Dark Project/Metal Age and don't mess it up like they did with Deadly Shadows. DS was a decent game, I admit, but the first two are some of my favorite games ever...

I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.

And there was much rejoicing.

Can't wait to hear Garrett's sexy voice again.

Goood News.... oh yeah, good news...

My shorts will remain purposefully aloof and detached from Eidos' attempt to rock them until I've seen how they've done with Deus Ex 3. I'd like to be hopeful but I live rather firmly in the "announce the game when you have something to actually say about it" camp.

Feels like it has been a lot longer since Thief 4 was revealed in that empty teaser site. Good to hear their team is going to be increasing their resources. I want it so much.

evilthecat:

Deus mortuus est:

I'm hearing that.

Sadly, there's a big problem and its called 'current generation graphics'. Making big, sprawling, non-linear levels without breaking them up will probably end up being too processor-buggering

Still Eidos, if you manage to solve that problem I could probably be coerced into offering sexual favours in return.

If Beteshda can do it in Skyrim, I do hope that Eidos can do the same to Thief. And yes, I do realize that buildings take more to generate than the same patch of land over and over again, but I'm willing to buy a new computer and have last year's graphics just to get my sprawling back :P

so Thief 4 team is like Ninja cat they just stuck up on them and took their seats without them noticing. Those are some sneaky cats.

Please let this mean we're going to get Thief 4 info. Please, Eidos, please. *begs* I'm dying for information here!

Didn't they name it THI4F instead of THIEF 4?

Yeah, not getting my hopes up...

This better be good...

Raiyan 1.0:
Didn't they name it THI4F instead of THIEF 4?

And this was the most retarded thing I ev4r heard of. Thank God they seem to have gone back to Thief 4.

Excuse me but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQT3638TZA
And yes, I can't wait!

At least they managed to make highlighting optional before moving out. I still don't understand why the called it Deus ex when that makes no sense in latin.

Deo ex mite b cool

Deus mortuus est:

evilthecat:

Deus mortuus est:

I'm hearing that.

If Beteshda can do it in Skyrim, I do hope that Eidos can do the same to Thief. And yes, I do realize that buildings take more to generate than the same patch of land over and over again, but I'm willing to buy a new computer and have last year's graphics just to get my sprawling back :P

But Bethesda most likely are not going to do it in Skyrim, as Bethesda programmers are incompetent chimps.

Bout time they're getting into full gear with T4 . . . I'm just hoping they hold true to what made the series so great. This is a title I'm actually anticipating for once . . . it's been too many years . . .

ForgottenPr0digy:
so Thief 4 team is like Ninja cat they just stuck up on them and took their seats without them noticing. Those are some sneaky cats.

I guess the team have gotten fully into character :p

YES!

Bringing back Thief is almost as good as Skyrim. Can't wait :D

I understand that people seem to dislike Thief: Deadly Shadows, or at least seem to be having a strong preference for its predecessors. Could anyone explain to me why that is exactly?
I'm not saying DS was actually better but seeing as I tried to play Dark Project and Metal Age but for some reason they wouldn't run on my PC (enemies would be invisible, colours would be messed up etc.) I couldn't find that one out for myself.

I do distinctly remember having the ability to shoot ropes onto a ceiling so you could climb up them in the first Thief game. I did like that mechanic. Is it scratched things like that that made DS less enjoyable?

I liked DS and maybe it's because I wasn't as spoiled by the previous games like most people. Let me know!

You guys hear that? Yahtzee is squealing like a school girl.

I hope so, because Thief is one of my favorite game series and I was kind of disappointed with Thief 3.
Also, if the new Deus Ex fucks up as bad as the first sequel did, I will go balistic, because Deus Ex is also one of my favorite games. It's in the top tier of my top ten.

hopefully it wont be full of dark murky evil goings on like in the last one

Sennz0r:
I understand that people seem to dislike Thief: Deadly Shadows, or at least seem to be having a strong preference for its predecessors. Could anyone explain to me why that is exactly?
I'm not saying DS was actually better but seeing as I tried to play Dark Project and Metal Age but for some reason they wouldn't run on my PC (enemies would be invisible, colours would be messed up etc.) I couldn't find that one out for myself.

Well, your second bit there, apparently the games don't work on new machines. Something about a conflict with the dual processor. I don't know the whole story as I still have an old machine, so I haven't bothered to try and put the older Thief games on my laptop.

Anyway, I said earlier that I was disappointed with Thief 3, but I won't say I specifically hate it, or even don't like it. I just prefer the originals. Here's why.

First of all, pretty much any time a story uses time travel, it looses a some credibility to me. This is an incredibly over-used plot device and I just plain don't like it. That said, not a game-breaker, just kind of an eye-roller for me.
Second, a lot of little details just got to me. Like seeing wanted posters with Garret's face on them. Sorry, I don't buy that. Garret always struck me as the kind of guy who stayed out of the public eye. There were a lot of little moments like that which just didn't feel in tune with the feel of the Thief world to me.
Finally, I didn't get where it was going thematically. The first game was about the forces of Nature trying to pull the world back into the way things were and ended with a note suggesting that a "Metal Age" was coming. The second game was about the forces of technology trying to destroy the forces of nature to make the world perfect and it ended on a note that there were prophecies of something big coming. The third thief game was about . . . what? A boogeyman using magical artifacts to screw things up. Sorry, I don't see any thematic significance to the plot.
That said, I think TDS is a good game. I like the open city exploration the story is compelling and the ending of the game brought things full circle in a way that I really appreciated. It's good, I just think the originals were better.
I'm a bit worried about Thief 4, though, because I don't see where the series should go at this point. It seems like a shameless and totally needless sequel that won't add anything meaningful to the series, especially considering how well Thief 3 closed the circle. I mean, I don't think it will be outright bad, especially if they've got a good team working on it, but I don't see that it will even be as good as Thief 3.
Could be wrong though. I'll wait and see.

You could say Thief 4 STOLE the stage...

YEAAAAHHHH!!!!

I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic about both Deus-Ex and Thi4f (or how ever the hell there spelling it now)

on an unrelated note, I am not nearly as hopeful in regards to the new X-COM game.

Atheist.:
You guys hear that? Yahtzee is squealing like a school girl.

Actually, since Yahtzee didn't like Deadly Shadows, I highly doubt he would be optimistic about this game.

Uuummm... Theif 4? Sorry to seem out of touch with the Thief series but when was Theif 2 or 3? A little help please. ("O_O)

*Explodes* Fuck yeah! Sorry Deus Ex, but it's still nice to hear some good news this week.

soulfire130:
Uuummm... Theif 4? Sorry to seem out of touch with the Thief series but when was Theif 2 or 3? A little help please. ("O_O)

Thief, Thief 2, and Thief: Deadly Shadows.
Deadly Shadows was great and I still shit my pants at the Shalebridge Cradle.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here