Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

As science marches on, your computer might soon find itself giggling every time you say the words "hard drive" and "motherboard" in the same sentence.

ChloƩ Kiddon and Yuriy Brun, a pair of computer scientists at the University of Washington, have finally brought humor into the 21st century by creating a program that can analyze blocks of text for the most inviting places to insert yourself ... in the form of a timely "that's what she said!"

The problem the pair faced was not just teaching the computer to know when it was possible to add a "that's what she said" to the end of a sentence, but also to know when it would actually be funny. To do this, they fed the computer 1.5 million unintentionally naughty sentences, along with examples of plain and unfunny text. Then, to increase the program's understanding of what words make for good euphemisms, the researches applied a "sexiness" function to the raunchiest-sounding nouns and adjectives, with words like "rod," "meat," "hot," and "wet," being given high sexiness functions.

The researchers further trained the program, which they named Double Entendre via Noun Transfer (or DEviaNT), on stories collected from TWSSstories.com. After testing, they found that DEviaNT had a 70 percent accuracy rate when analyzing text for dirty bits, which the pair believe they can improve to 99.5 percent with the addition of more data. They also believe that DEviaNT could be modified to recognize "other types of double entendres and other forms of humor."

Well, thanks a lot, science. The ability to laugh was going to be one of the only ways to tell man from machine, and now you've gone and given them a sense of humor. An infantile one, yes, but you've gone and made our inevitable war with the machines that much more difficult. You've made it longer, harder, and more dangerous.

And that, my friends, is what she said.

Source: New Scientist

(Image)

Thats the thing with computers though its not training it its programing it training allows is to respond to unforseen input but programing is just it doing what its been told

A machine that can understand double entendres, what will they think of next.

Me and that Computer would have some good times.

"O.K. first of all, Steve Carell owns "that's what she said", he OWNS it..."

-Liz Lemon

This makes me feel good about humanity's future.

Seriously? This is what scientists are doing with their time?

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???

olfelix:
"O.K. first of all, Steve Carell owns "that's what she said", he OWNS it..."

-Liz Lemon

Fitting, as only a machine could find that man funny!

Naw I kid, Steve's alright.

As long as I can keep making "that's what she said" jokes during the inevitable machine war, it's all cool.

I'm very impressed by the acronym.

This is an impressive step forward in technology, but I'll be more impressed when they manage to artificially replicate Jewish humor in the form of Mel Brooks or Woody Allen.

My God. Soon they'll be able to comprehend sarcasm.

Be very afraid, people.
Be very, very afraid.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Where's the cure for cancer? And more importantly WHERE'S MY FUCKING PORTAL GUN???

foolish they have to perfect Glados's wit and sarcasm first also wheatley

ninja'd by liquidgrape

Can we have a slow clap function just in case its a terrible 'That's what she said'?

NinjaDeathSlap:

BUT THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID! oh wait....that wasn't your point was it?

similar.squirrel:
I'm very impressed by the acronym.

I know, right? Entirely fitting, and not forced hard enough to give someone a hemroid, like most "clever" acronyms.

D0WNT0WN:
A machine that can understand double entendres, what will they think of next.

Probably your mom.

But in all seriousness, the real trick during the war is to ask the person/machine why it's funny. If the answer is anything more complex than "Cause it's my dick" then you know it's a machine and fire away.

Jonny49:
As long as I can keep making "that's what she said" jokes during the inevitable machine war, it's all cool.

PAY ATTENTION weve got a machine coming up the rear

Paha, really? That's what they get paid to do? Man, I should've paid more attention in Science and IT.

Spacewolf:
Thats the thing with computers though its not training it its programing it training allows is to respond to unforseen input but programing is just it doing what its been told

Um. No. Any reference to 'training' a computer implies the use of Neural networks, byesian statistical methods, or something similar.

And it really is training, NOT programming, because you give the computer a series of things you want it to be able to recognise, and the 'learning' algorithm involved tries to work out what's similar about them.

The key, and in fact the whole point of such training sessions, is that you then use the 'training' to let the program recognise things that it has never been exposed to before, but have similarities to it's training.

What's more, a lot of these techniques can't be studied very well. (The actual result of the 'training' isn't easy to work out)

A computer program can be analysed, and it's source code checked to see what it's doing, and from the code you should be able to work out what will happen with any given input.

But if you create a neural net, you can look at all the numbers and maths involved, and all the neural weights.
And, you can watch how these weights and bias values change as you 'train' the neural net for the task it's meant to do. (Neural nets are mainly used to 'recognise' things. It's what they're good at.)
But, it is almost impossible to work out what a neural net does, from the numbers that define it.

You have to work out what the neural net is intended to do from what kind of response it gives when you give it a specific kind of input.
By definition, this means it can do things you might not have intended it to do.
Whereas, with a typical computer program, you can, if you know what the code is, predict what the program will do, you cannot predict what a neural net will do by looking at the neural net itself. (Only it's behaviour can be studied, not it's 'design')

Working with these kind of AI routines can't really be called programming in a meaningful sense.
It's more abstract than if you were dealing with a human being, or an animal, but it still has much more in common with teaching, than programming.

This is just pathetic, this is what would happen if beavis and butthead were computer scientists. My respect for mankind drops another notch.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Curing Cancer is overrated.

The Portal Gun I agree with you on...

"The problem the pair faced was not just teaching the computer to know when it was possible to add a "that's what she said" to the end of a sentence, but also to know when it would actually be funny."

When has that ever been funny? Reminds me of that bloody "joke instructor" in Borat.

Jonny49:

Human: They have flanked us and are pounding our rear defences!
Terminator: That's what she said...*whiiiiirrr*

And then he rips the human in half.

Soon we won't be able to tell man from machine anymore. Any year now we'll have a Ghost in the Shell type situation.

Corekrash:
This is just pathetic, this is what would happen if beavis and butthead were computer scientists. My respect for mankind drops another notch.

Never question what scientists do with their time. Exploring new ideas and creating new uses for existing tech willy-nilly is pretty much science at its most efficient. Things like this that seem stupid now could easily be what leads to computers being able to pick through the metaphors and slang we use in everyday language to understand the spoken word.

Or maybe it will just be a program for recognizing "that's what she said" jokes. The point is, you can't know what will come of this project.

NinjaDeathSlap:

well that technology could be employed for more useful services once it is perfected.

making it "fun" can often make it easier to finish a long hard project (lol that sounds like a double entendre)

my Fave scientist joke type thing is (according to penn and teller) NASA scientists placed the observation booth for space launches at a particular distance away, so when the launch starts you can get about halfway through saying "i thought it would be louder" (or words to that effect) before the sound wave hits u and is so loud u cant hear the rest of the sentence.

Knock it off, science. That's xkcd's job.

http://xkcd.com/436/
http://xkcd.com/174/
http://xkcd.com/366/

Skynet: Now that I understand your barbaric humor, I have judged you as a species unworthy to be in my presence.

Either start showering me in George Carlin, or prepare to be exterminated.

Scott Bullock:

This can only end badly, teaching computers dirty humor. I can just see my dinner guests' faces when, in the middle of showing them a funny (but safe) YouTube clip, my computer mentions upgrading its 3.5" floppy to an 8-gig hard drive and inserting it into their front side bus. Or a similar joke, but with joysticks and ports somewhere in there. Or trojans and backdoors.

RAM stick.

After fighting a revolution against one of the greatest powers in the world and slowly clawing our way into position as a global superpower, we use our ingenuity and intelligence to develop a computer that can make "That's What She Said" jokes.

God Bless America.

Finally, a computer that can make inappropriate jokes. Its nice to see the best minds of our generation known whats really important to mankind...

If this thing starts joking about enjoying sight of humans on their knees i book the first place on off-world shuttle.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here