Valve Writer Erik Wolpaw Divulging Portal 2 Secrets at NYU

Valve Writer Erik Wolpaw Divulging Portal 2 Secrets at NYU

Erik Wolpaw may reveal some insight into the creation of games such as Portal 2 at an upcoming NYU lecture.

Hardcore Valve fans have already been trying to learn Valve writer Erik Wolpaw's daily routine for years in an attempt to "accidentally" run into him at a nearby coffee shop or grocery store. I have good news: you can come out of those bushes and just head to New York University. Wolpaw will be part of an upcoming session of NYU's Game Center lecture series.

On Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 7PM, Wolpaw will make his way over to 721 Broadway, Room 006 in New York City and words will come out of his mouth that anyone listening will be able to hear. Specifically, he'll begin the session with a guided playthrough of the recently released Portal 2, followed by being yelled at for not posting a "Spoiler Warning" sign outside the door, followed by an interview and general discussion.

The audience is encouraged to join in and may bring questions on any subject that may relate to Wolpaw's work on videogame website OldManMurray.com, his writing for the Portal series, or just videogames in general. I personally have serious questions to ask about snacks and butter, but I may not be able to make it.

The event is open to both NYU students and the public, so you may want to try to RSVP here yesterday. NYU says that popular demand is already making it consider a move to a larger venue. It's going to be a packed house.

Source: NYU Game Center

What's the secret to creating a game like Portal? Two simple requirements:

One: A degree in computer programing
Two: A good bag a weed

'Hardcore Valve fans have already been trying to learn Valve writer Erik Wolpaw's daily routine for years in an attempt to "accidentally" run into him at a nearby coffee shop or grocery store.'

You stalkers are just fucking creepy.

OT: Nice that he is having an event, but I think it might do more harm than good. Do not send these types of people mixed messages.

EDIT: To the above post.... yeah dude, weed is totally the reason portal was great man, lets go kill more of our brain cells outside in the back. We can compare notes on the super awesome game that should have been created if we had the floor. Dude, that would be totally awesome man. For real.

To quote a guy supposedly named Tom... LOL!

Bleh, wish I could be there I loved the dev commentary for portal 2 though I wish there had been more. I hate that really important people never give lectures or talks at smaller universities; us non ivy leaguers would like to pick their brains as well ya know.

Sadly I know it's just not possible; there's so many universities and colleges that it's just easier to give presentations at the bigger higher profile ones. Unfortunately they all seem to be on the east or west coast and here I sit smack in the middle of country. Where it's too expensive to fly there and too far too drive there and not miss alot of school.

I really love that poster. It's so... I don't know, but I like it!

I personally would ask him about Old Man Murray and working with Tim Schafer, as much as I am a massive fan of Portal and its sequel. I don't know, I just feel like I already know as much as I'd like to know about Portal, and there's mysteries surrounding Double Fine and OMM that have never been divulged... so that's what I'd ask about.

Someone get a video of this. Please.

lozfoe444:

I second that motion. I would really like to see this.

Someone ask him if Chell is ########'s daughter!

I hope they livestream it! I don't think I'll be able to make it across the pond for this.

HankMan:

It can't be that they're talented? Or that they work really, really hard to syphon out every piece of unneeded garbage they can to produce a well paced piece of work?

manythings:

HankMan:

It can't be that they're talented? Or that they work really, really hard to syphon out every piece of unneeded garbage they can to produce a well paced piece of work?

I'm sure it was a joke, Valve make amazingly polished games. But you have to admit whenever you see Wolpaw he does look like he's tripping balls.

Coranico:

I'm sure it was a joke, Valve make amazingly polished games. But you have to admit whenever you see Wolpaw he does look like he's tripping balls.

Eric Wolpaw certainly is an interesting chap.

Orthon:

lozfoe444:

I second that motion. I would really like to see this.

Third.

I'd love to go, but it's a 10 hour flight, so I doubt it...

Hopefully this will be recorded: I'll take anything from a grainy YouTube video to a multi camera well lit starwipe affair.

HankMan:

Three: Drugs. Bags of them.* (That may apply to Super Mario Brothers more though)

*I'm being playful.

EDIT: Why didn't I read "Two:" ... I'm gonna have a nap.

Sober Thal:
You stalkers are just fucking creepy.

But you do have to admire their dedication, though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here