Portal 2 Player Doesn't Think With Portals, Wins Anyway

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Portal 2 Player Doesn't Think With Portals, Wins Anyway

You don't really need an Aperture Science Hand-Held Portal Device.

With its rigidly structured puzzles, you might not think that a Portal game would be the best kind of game to trick-run. After all, there are only so many ways you can put a cube on a button and walk through a door, right?

As we've already seen, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Portal players are already trying their damndest to thoroughly break Valve's Portal 2 in the most spectacular ways.

This particular trick-runner doesn't even need to use portals to beat test chamber 20 - instead, clever laser-bendy-cube positioning (and some glitches) do the job perfectly well.

As some Reddit commentators point out, it's not uncommon to play Portal 2, find a new mechanic like the laser beams or special paint, and then completely forget that you have a gun in your hand that shoots portals. As this video shows, sometimes that isn't such a problem.

(Reddit)

That puzzle took me the longest, iirc.

After about 10-15 minutes, I shot a portal above and below me, did the infinite fall thing...and THOUGHT about it for like 5 minutes.

Infinite falls are great when you need to think and clear your mind.

I should have just done what they did. >_>

That was pretty cool. I feel silly now for being stuck on that level longer than most.

That one was pretty easy to begin with, I didn't realize you could cheat it though >.>

He just looked at things objectively.
Everything's better with lazers!

HankMan:

I was hoping you'd make a funny joke.

At first I thought this was gonna be a story of how a guy went through the whole game without using on portal, or at least a very small amount of portals.

that's hilarious.
talk about emergent behavior :S

GLaDOS: "This chamber is.... ooooooh you cheeky f**ker!"

Know your thinking with lasers!

Fuck.
That was one of my top 3 hardest.

Onyx Oblivion:

I think I managed it with my first portal placement (practically walked straight through the room without thinking). My stupidity factor did come to life later in the game though, where it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get from one ledge to another.

Solution? Blue portal on my side, orange portal on the other side.

I was concussed from the /headdesk that occurred a few seconds later.

Pretty crafty, the people who do these speed runs should have been some of the testers of this game. No doubt they'd tighten the game up more if they did so.

Quiet Stranger:

HankMan:

At first I thought this was gonna be a story of how a guy went through the whole game without using on portal, or at least a very small amount of portals.

Sorry but the thing is...

Woodsey:

Onyx Oblivion:

I think I managed it with my first portal placement (practically walked straight through the room without thinking). My stupidity factor did come to life later in the game though, where it took me 20 minutes to work out how to get from one ledge to another.

Same here. This room didn't take me more than a minute. Personally, my brain went stupid during the first white gel test. Not only did it take me 5 minutes to figure out what the hell the white gel actually did, I didn't actually make it out of that room for another 20 minutes.

In fact, I don't even remember how I solved it. The whole thing went by one big angry blur, and by the time my rage subsided, I was standing in front of the exit.

Fuck, that guy made that puzzle seem so easy, but when I did it, it was the hardest puzzle in the whole game for me!

This game never seizes to amaze me!

I'm shocked how many people found this puzzle hard, this was one the easiest puzzles in the game for me...

...I'm being "that guy" again arn't I?

Woodsey:

Onyx Oblivion:

theres one of the coop maps where you use your pal to infinite loop you up to a ledge, then you can get THEM to the ledge with the exit. The pair of us then spent 5 minutes thinking how to get the first guy back to the start without losing the portals so that they could get up.

The answer? go through the portal that is 5 inches from where you are standing.

Even worse, when backtracking we got stuck at the same point.

SomeBritishDude:
I'm shocked how many people found this puzzle hard, this was one the easiest puzzles in the game for me...

It's okay, let's be "that guy" together! *high five*

This reminds me a lot of the commentary in the original Portal. In it Valve said one of their testers "broke" one of the test chambers by ignoring the entire chamber and trying to fling himself at the door to win.

Because the so-called "ninja solution" was so much harder to do than actually playing the level as intended Valve decided to just leave it in. Now, this is just a guess but I'm assuming that this laser trick might have been something discovered in testing that they just kept in anyway, and there are probably a lot more examples of that throughout the game that people can find...

It took me a little while. I worked out what I had to do fairly quickly, just the placement of portals and cubes was a bit awkward.

SomeBritishDude:

I too thought this was one was easy, got it withing the first 2 minutes, the gist of it that is ;)

I struggled way more with 19.

SomeBritishDude:

Same here, I recall that being one of those puzzles that didn't really require thinking, just sort of moved some things and walked straight through.

SomeBritishDude:

I also found it one of the easiest heck I even quipped "it's looking pretty easy too..." in reply to GLaDOS's looking pretty good comment.

I wonder if any of the other chambers can be solved without portals or if this is the only one?

SomeBritishDude:

Can I be "That Girl"?

Some other test's did stump me to shit for ages though, I had to leave the game for a bit with a genuine headache and come back, I solved said puzzled very quickly then!

I love the way he bum shuffles backwards into the door, though, haha!

when I did that for the first time I knew what I had to do so I just angled all the lasers to roughly one spot and stuck the portals so I could then adjust them into the right places once I knew where they went.

by pure luck Id got them all at the correct angles.

There's nothing impressive about this when it needs glitches to accomplish.

There's really nothing left to say.

Was this a triumph? I'm making a note here, "WTF".

Quiet Stranger:

HankMan:

Well, allow me to try one on ya...

*ahem*

IMA GLITCHIN MAH LAYZER!

Well, that was damn clever.
This one was pretty difficult, but for some reason, i solved it really fast.
I'm not sure why, but i just looked at the 3 lasers and then randomly made a portal, and another one.
To my surprise, it actually worked.
Blind luck indeed, especially when playing with lasers.

Very clever, didn't even think of trying anything like that during my run.

I love that test chamber. Its my favourite.

I think this shows the idea behind portal more than anything else, the point of the game is to think about things differently to how you would in a normal game, and this i think shows it best of all.
that said, it always annoys me when people rush through games like this, like that video of the guy who beat the first portal in under 10 minutes, and didnt stop to see all the great stuff in the games, the humour etc.
not saying this is it, but he did beat it in under a minute.

Didn't even occur to me to try that. I used portals to move the lasers around. That chamber doesn't take me long with portals, but still, wow. Well played.

SomeBritishDude:

Nope, I found it pretty simple too. One of the ones that I couldn't do was the one where there was a turret shooting at you behind a fence and there were hard light bridges involved. I was attempting random glitchy jumps to get to the other side of the room past the turret...then realised I could use a portal...

SirBryghtside:

Jack Cheal:
I think this shows the idea behind portal more than anything else, the point of the game is to think about things differently to how you would in a normal game, and this i think shows it best of all.
that said, it always annoys me when people rush through games like this, like that video of the guy who beat the first portal in under 10 minutes, and didnt stop to see all the great stuff in the games, the humour etc.
not saying this is it, but he did beat it in under a minute.

It's a speedrun - don't worry, they'll have played the game properly hundreds of times before.

It's not like you look at the game and suddenly have uber skills. It takes practice :)

I suppose, I guess I just don't understand the appeal of trying to do a speed run with a such machine-like precision, especially on a game like portal which is meant to be more about fun and the humour

crimson5pheonix:
That one was pretty easy to begin with, I didn't realize you could cheat it though >.>

Same here. It wasn't until much later that I actually took time to think about the levels and the reason for that is because there isn't a clear place you want to get to each time.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here