Sony Sought Security Staff Shortly After Shutdown

Sony Sought Security Staff Shortly After Shutdown

Sony was already looking for an "Application Security Analyst" the day after PSN shut down following an external break-in.

It's been almost two weeks now since Sony's PlayStation Network shut down for reasons that were initially murky, but was later revealed to be in reaction to a massive information heist.

While the fallout from the PSN break-in is certain to continue for months if not years, and people point their fingers every which way in blame, people on the internet have unearthed an interesting coincidence: Sony posted a job offer for a Senior Application Security Analyst on CareerBuilder.com on April 21st - a day after taking PSN down in response to the attack.

According to the job posting, the Sr. Analyst position is responsible for:

Ensuring the system/network security architecture and relevant policy and procedures are adhered to for the business; monitor compliance to the organization's information security policies and standards among employees, customers, contractors, alliances, and other third parties; perform information security risk assessments and serve as the internal auditor in determining system vulnerabilities and recommending safeguards to mitigate risk and ensure optimal performance; provide security engineering and integration services to internal customers and participate in a wide range of security issues and discussions including architecture design, electronic data transmission, and network vulnerability assessment.

In other words, the position is responsible for quite a bit when it comes to safeguarding Sony's computer databanks. Which is exactly what the company needs right now, with its plans to beef up PSN security.

Now, I just want to make it clear - we here at The Escapist are emphatically not drawing any conspiracy theories here. We aren't saying that Sony knew its security was substandard, and we aren't saying that it did this before notifying customers - as far as we know, this is just an interestingly timed coincidence and nothing more. Sony is a big company, and it could be recruiting for IT security in departments that have nothing to do with PSN. And heck, that is a lot of Human Resources copy that needed to be written and approved in a short amount of time.

It's an interesting coincidence and it certainly makes you think, but that could very well be all it is.

Edit: Forum user JDKJ notes that Sony was looking to fill the position as early as April 17th, which was before the hack. Well, that changes everything. Clearly, this was an inside job/a Sony conspiracy/done by Elvis alien communists.

Probably not. It's still interesting, though.

(Thanks for the link, Biodisaster!)

Why is...the day...AFTER...suspicious?

The day before would be...but the day after?

Did George Hotz apply for the position?

Actually, it appears that Sony was seeking to fill that position as early as April 17, two days before April 19 when it became aware of the breach. http://nationaljobs.washingtonpost.com/a/all-jobs/list/q-Senior+Application+Security+Analyst/l-San+Diego%2C+CA

It's not a coincidence!! It's a conspiracy!!

*searching frantically for the ol' tinfoil hat*

I can't help but wonder what the pirates think of this. After all, the hackers only copied information (instead of stealing).

Lol.

Impressive alliteration in the title there. Just thought I'd throw that out there

Anyone besides me get a very Glen Beck feeling from the wording in this article?

Onyx Oblivion:

people could see it as "covering their tracks".

But then again, its more likely that they needed someone right after also to help with their investigations.

why I think its suspicious is though, maybe their ex-Application Security Analyst could of had some knowledge on the PSN, and maybe played a small part in the whole affair. Employee taking the proverbial office supplies after being fired, so to speak.

kajinking:
Anyone besides me get a very Glen Beck feeling from the wording in this article?

Coulda been worse. It coulda pulled an Adam Barnes (NowGamer) and been headlined: "Did Sony Know There Was A PSN Security Risk?"

Personally, I prefer my conspiracy theories to be thinly-disguised.

JDKJ:

No. It was Jorge Warmz.

Onyx Oblivion:

JDKJ:

No. It was Jorge Warmz.

Makes sense. The job's in San Diego, after all.

kajinking:

JDKJ:

kajinking:

Coulda been worse. It coulda pulled an Adam Barnes (NowGamer) and been headlined: "Did Sony Know There Was A PSN Security Risk?"

I'm certainly not trying to spread any conspiracy theories; just the opposite. Our job is to find interesting news, though, and it's an interesting coincidence - but probably just a coincidence.

John Funk:

kajinking:

JDKJ:

kajinking:

I'm certainly not trying to spread any conspiracy theories; just the opposite. Our job is to find interesting news, though, and it's an interesting coincidence - but probably just a coincidence.

Relax, John. I'm just yanking your chain. If you make it too easy for me to do so, you'll take all the fun out of doing it.

Onyx Oblivion:

I'd be more pissed at the fact THEY DIDN'T ALREADY HAVE ONE
I would be, but I don't have a PSN account OR much respect for Sony anyway.

So... your telling me from the moment the PS3 launched until the hack, Sony didn't have a proper PSN security team?

Really Sony? Really?

Or perhaps it was a replacement. Which would make sense.

Irridium:
So... your telling me from the moment the PS3 launched until the hack, Sony didn't have a proper PSN security team?

Really Sony? Really?

I don't think that's what anyone's trying to tell you. But since you appear all too eager to be told just that, feel free to take that ball and run with it as fast and as far as you can.

Irridium:

Really Sony? Really?

HankMan:

Onyx Oblivion:

I think this meant they were searching for a REPLACEMENT.

And the current guy saw this job search...AND THEN HACKED PSN AS REVENGE

Onyx Oblivion:

Irridium:

Really Sony? Really?

HankMan:

Onyx Oblivion:

Conspiracies theories. The possibilities are endless. So many possibilities, so little time. It's a crying shame.

Longer life!! I need a longer life!!

kajinking:

Not enough chalkboard/tears.

OT: Hey, someone is offering jobs these days at least.

JDKJ:

Onyx Oblivion:

Irridium:

Really Sony? Really?

HankMan:

Conspiracies theories. The possibilities are endless. So many possibilities, so little time. It's a crying shame.

Longer life!! I need a longer life!!

Well hopefully the internet will, in all its glory, conveniently set out all the conspiracies on a fan site or something that will compile the most awesome stories to come out of this.

Won't even need to do a lick of research!

noxymoron19:
Impressive alliteration in the title there. Just thought I'd throw that out there

I'm dissapointed with myself that I didn't catch that.

Onyx Oblivion:

Because they proceeded to sit on the fact that they lost millions of customers' personal information for another week.

If they knew information had been lost within 24 hours of the breach, and didn't inform the customers, they violated several privacy laws, and will be facing severe fines from several governments.

I'm almost completely certain that's not the case, but the fact that this exists does not bode well for Sony.

JDKJ:

Actually, it appears that Sony was seeking to fill that position as early as April 17, two days before April 19 when it became aware of the breach. http://nationaljobs.washingtonpost.com/a/all-jobs/list/q-Senior+Application+Security+Analyst/l-San+Diego%2C+CA

It's not a coincidence!! It's a conspiracy!!

*searching frantically for the ol' tinfoil hat*

It's easy to explain, hackers saw an opening in their defenses and took it. By the time the security team came online the hackers would have been long gone. It isn't a conspiracy, it only shows that the independent team of hackers were smarter than your average anonymous member or dead rat but that isn't saying much.

The fact that a company is hiring a security analyst doesn't mean they have no security team, just like a company hiring a programmer doesn't mean they have no programmers.

Ultratwinkie:
It isn't a conspiracy . . . .

Yeah. Right. That's the same thing the Warren Commission said about the Kennedy assassination. You believe that?

Holy alliteration, Batman!

Well I'm glad they thought about security so early on, can you imagine if they had a dodgy system up for like 5 years and damage that could cause.... oh, that's right.

// Sony's Master Plan
Hire ppl for security
if we sh1t on consumers that enjoy (linux) == We messed up

Seriously, If losing face were tangible these ppl would be M.J.

No shit guys... of course they're recruiting security now.

HankMan:

Onyx Oblivion:

Anyone thought that maybe they HAD a guy, they fired him and (s)he was involved in the attack?

Only the hackers will know what kind of connection there is. Maybe it was pure chance that their NOW HIRING ad got out after the big crack. Maybe somebody was fired and handed over the passwords needed to get in, or simply did it themselves. Or it could be a big PR stunt to try and make Sony look like a victim of the evil that is Anon, which backfired from the sound of things. (given how governments are getting involved, it would be one hell of a bad move)

That job was likely a repost. I'm in the field, and have been monitoring available positions in cali and specific cities. I also saw that post several months ago. Also, in large corporations, it often takes weeks or even months for a department to go from 'we need another headcount' to completing jump through the HR hoops that results in a public job posting. It's likely unrelated.

So Sony was just unlucky is the moral of this story?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.