THQ Blames Homefront Single Player for Lukewarm Reviews

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

THQ Blames Homefront Single Player for Lukewarm Reviews

Four hour campaigns apparently don't make for happy reviewers.

When near-future, "what if?" shooter Homefront came out in March, the reviewer reaction to it was rather subdued, with all three versions of the game chalking up an aggregate score of 70 on Metacritic. Now, a few weeks on, Brian Farrell, the CEO of publisher THQ, thinks that the game's single player campaign might have been to blame for the rather cool reception.

During a conference call following the release of THQ's third quarter and end of year financial report, Farrell said that the length of the campaign - or lack thereof, as many have placed its length at around four to five hours - contributed to the game receiving rather mixed reviews. Considering how much emphasis the game's marketing efforts placed on Homefront's story, it's not hard to see why reviewers might react negatively when they learned that the game's campaign was so short. In his review of the Xbox 360 version, The Escapist's Editor-in-Chief, Russ Pitts, said, "there isn't enough game in Homefront The Game to contain Homefront The Multimedia Concept," which seems a neat summation of the feelings of many critics.

But despite these lackluster reviews, Homefront has proven to be a strong earner for THQ since its release. Farrell said that THQ had shipped 2.6 million copies of the game, although didn't say how many of those copies had been sold. He added that not only was it a great start for the franchise, it was also a great start for "the strongest pipeline of AAA core games in [THQ's] history."

Source: Industry Gamers

"The Franchise"? We can expect more of these abominations?

Yup.

Short, utterly uninspired and desperately trying to be Call of Duty.

I would have been much kinder to it if they had just dropped the pretentions and said, "Yeah, we're making a multiplayer FPS themed around modern day warfare."

I think the fact that it still sold well says quite a bit about the industry.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I heard the next one takes place in London apparently.

I'd like to support a game that really tries for a gritty and emotional story, but seriously, I'm not too into multiplayer. If the main demographic is people like me, they've failed.

$100 for a game (AUD) that will last me four hours is pretty uninviting.

HankMan:
It doesn't take a genius to figure that out

I second this. All along right up until people release people had been asking questions about the campaign length, and THQ only have now realised that four hours of gameplay is not a good trade off for a £40 game.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Once they've made 4 or 5 of them you can combine them together into a decent length campaign. :D

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Oh god no...don't give us another Dick Van Dyke...please for all that's holy, stop them.

So will they learn from that mistake?

If they can come up with a solution to why the EU has done nothing in response to NK in their universe, I'd play another.

I think it's because the singleplayer wasn't SHORT ENOUGH. They shouldn't have bothered with the singleplayer in the first place. Just focus on the multilayer.

The_root_of_all_evil:

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Oh god no...don't give us another Dick Van Dyke...please for all that's holy, stop them.

I can just imagine it:

As Burt pulls the pin from his hand grenade and dives under the tank on London Bridge, he Yells out his last words of defiance,
"CHIM CHIM CHERROOOOO!" *BOOM*

At least they're blaming it on what actually did it.

Not a fan of games being released and expecting to do well just because it has multi-player re-playability. The single player campaign was too damn short regardless of how good the multi-player is.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the story, graphics, gameplay style (albeit generic) of the single player.

Length doesn't mean anything. My Dragon Age 2 save has 17 hours playtime on it and that was 17 hours of "Bleeeeeaaaaargh..." for me. Portal is 4 (5 if you're thick like me) hours and is one big tutorial but it was great.
There's potential in Homefront. The back story was really well done but the way it was presented was silly. Rebels and Guerilla fighting should have been going on. Not mini wars and 2 armies meeting in the middle of a bridge.
There's potential, they just need to know what to do.

See I wouldn't of had a problem with it if they had just set it in the NK vs USA universe and done a pure MP title like Battlefield 2

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:

HankMan:

I can just imagine it:

As Burt pulls the pin from his hand grenade and dives under the tank on London Bridge, he Yells out his last words of defiance,
"CHIM CHIM CHERROOOOO!" *BOOM*

I didn't even have to go on to your profile to tell if you were American.

"Oh, ho, ho, it's magic!"

OT: Homefront was a god awful COD clone, and i seriously don't want there to be another.

Or, THQ, how about you just accept that your game was shit instead of comming up with excuses? Better game designers are willing to admit their mistakes so what makes you think you can get away with it?

If they actually put some thought into the game it might have actually been worth something.

If you hadn't fucking hyped the campaign to hell and back it might have been a little better.

Half-Life 2 my ass.

Really, that's just pitiful, Kaos Studios. You said before that "Oh, we concentrated on multiplayer instead of singleplayer!" yet the marketing focus was entirely on single player ("From the writer of Red Dawn!.."...) and I had not seen one iota of advertising towards multiplayer. You go on to say "Oh, the singleplayer is only 5 hours if you're, like, really really good a FPSs" and it turns out it's 5 hours anyway. You go on and on how the story really hits close to home, with the writer of Red Dawn! writing the script, and it's just another stupid Call of Duty clone with a Wildcats fetish.

And now, THQ, not you guys, has to come out saying "Oh, the singleplayer kinda, sorta, was bad...". Friggin' stupid, if I do say so myself.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Please please please can we have a game about Mexicans complaining about all the US refugees illegally coming into their country and stealing their jobs.

This examplifies what is wrong with modern FPS games. They focus all on multiplayer, tack on a campaign and expect people to disregard the latter, which isn't going to happen (UT3 is an exception i guess.. i dunno why)

Good thing I avoided this game. The devs basically considered the single-player mode an afterthought since they put nearly all their time into multiplayer.

Blame singleplayer? No. Blame CoD for appearing before Homefront. If you make games to appease the plebs don't expect good reviews from people with a more sceptical opinion.

I don't blame the length of the singleplayer. That's just unfair. After all, the REAL problem with it is that the actual gameplay is just BAD. I mean, honestly, it's bad. I hated it. It's one of the few games that the gameplay is bad enough, in just the right way, that I couldn't finish it. I just, flat out, couldn't finish it. I have dragged myself through so many games with subpar gameplay, but I got to the point where loading up Homefront almost immediately made me angry, as soon as I loaded my save game, because of how bad the gameplay was.

I played at a friend's house,and I was facepalming the entire time.
They made an unbelievable universe with evil,gritty reboot of saturday morning cartoon villains,and duct taped it together with a story where you accomplish almost nothing.
Weapons are uninspired,sound effects are awful,characters are silly and the game is riddled by bad scripted scenes.
I mean,having to wait until all the npcs are up the ladder,then wait 2 seconds so you can press a button and a script will make your character play a ladder climbing animation.

I did not play the multiplayer,but I agree with their position,Homefront's singleplayer is awful for a AAA game.I would have accepted it if it was a studio with less budget/time,but this is just unacceptable.

Pathetic. Utterly derivative porridge that prematurely ejaculates in sloppy, predictable fashion all over the gullible faces of the regular gamer. Gee, thanks!

Not ONE THING remains with me after completing this "wack-a-mole-COD-clone", other than how much of an insufferable wank-rag Connor was throughout the entire affair. "Uninspired" would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions. "F" for "fail".

They should hang their heads in shame.

Seriously? That many sales? Does it mean that the sequel will be just as short, knowing they can make enough sales with a minimal amount of effort?

the length wasn't the problem... its the content and it was ARSE

Well, at least they know what the main problem was. Hopefully they also know what they need to do to fix it.

Ah, a lousy campaign leading to poor reviews, because said campaign was hyped to all the way to the dark side of Mercury? Good of you guys to address what is actually wrong with the bloody game. But let me tell you something right now: focusing solely on multiplayer wouldn't have made any difference. The CoD Ritalin popping brigade already has a monopoly on that, so you'd be at best getting a few crumbs rather than a slice of the success cake.

PS: WOLVERINES!!!

PPS: Yeah, the whole Red Dawn thing probably didn't help either.

I mean really WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING

I was seriously interested...you disapoint me Homefront

The single player was OK. Nothing special. What was particularly great though was that I couldn't play it online the week it came out, and whenever I tried, it crashed my router... If you're going to release a game that depends heavily on multi player, at least make it work.

HankMan:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yaay! Now videogames will have the additional dubious distinction of having started the second Red Scare.

The Korean War starts up again in 2014, everybody! Better start hitting the gym and buying life-insurance so that you're ready when the draft hits.

Well, probably not, but honestly, the free world has bigger problems right now than communism, like the fact that so many of our youth are becoming enamored with communism because apparently our school systems haven't done a good job of teaching our kids that communism sucks balls.

Aside from that, pretty much every communist country that hasn't embraced free-market capitalism to some extent, like China has, has pretty much collapsed on its own or just kind of withered away into third-world-ness. And if North Korea gets hold of satellites capable of EMPing an entire continent before any of the UN countries can do anything about it, I think we kind of deserve what we get.

If they're going to make it a franchise, they maybe they'll make one for Australia...

If this is the case, then any shortcomings in the first game are completely forgiven, THQ!!

To be honest, I really wouldn't care how unrealistic the situation is, how short the campaign is, or even if the Australians are the guys you're shooting (in fact, I reckon I'd prefer that), it'd just be INSANELY refreshing to see something not set in the US or in Europe; I'd buy it launch day.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here