Reapers Delay Mass Effect 3 Until 2012

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reapers Delay Mass Effect 3 Until 2012

By "Reapers," we mean "EA and BioWare."

Plenty of gamers loved Mass Effect 2, which means that plenty of gamers are looking forward to the upcoming Mass Effect 3. And why shouldn't they? So far, it looks like one hell of an epic conclusion to the saga of Commander Shepard and the crew of the Normandy.

Unfortunately, said gamers will be waiting a bit longer than initially planned: EA and BioWare have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will not be hitting its initial launch window of Holiday 2011, but will instead be hitting in early 2012.

"Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012," said executive producer Casey Hudson in a statement posted on Facebook and the BioWare message boards. "The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone's expectations. We'll have more details about specific dates as we get closer to release."

I don't mind delays, really. The best companies in the business delay games all the time; rushing a game out the door helps nobody. Besides, this just means that there will be more time for gamers to play Skyrim, Call of Duty: The Next One and Diablo III. Maybe not D3. Shut up, I can hope.

I am ok with it since I want an amazing and polished game we except nothing less from Bioware.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the citadel.

Better it released later than in the same state that Dragon Age 2 was.

Don't get me wrong, DA2 is a great game, but damn does it lack polish.

I'm actually glad for this. It gives me more time to get through Skyrim to an acceptable degree before starting another game I'm looking forward to.

Well, that hurts my heart to see, but I understand why and hope they make it three months better.

The screenshots they threw on Facebook were pretty awesome too.

I'm perfectly fine with ME3 2012. Too much awesome stuff coming out this year anyways.

Annoying, but probably for the best; prevents conflict between it and Skyrim for my attentions over the holiday period. I'd prefer they take their time and make it better than rush it out and getting burned for it.

John Funk:

I don't mind delays, really. The best companies in the business delay games all the time; rushing a game out the door helps nobody. Besides, this just means that there will be more time for gamers to play Skyrim, Call of Duty: The Next One and Diablo III. Maybe not D3. Shut up, I can hope.

I absolutely agree, on both counts. Need at least a month combined time of no new releases to play the new M&B.
As for the delay, it is infinitely preferable to me that a studio delays a game to add further polish, or even full gameplay or story or whatever, (which it seems Bioware may be going for with a larger window like this) than rush it out the door. I would have loved to play a polished version of Brutal Legend, which is probably my best example. Besides, this gives me time to play the first two ME games. If they don't go on sale this week, I shall be massively disappointed, I shall cry, then I'll go back to shooting Polish people in the head.

Good.

Now I can happily play away on Skyrim for a few months in the knowledge that Bioware are taking their time to make ME3 great.

Enough time to buy a 360 and replay the two Mass Effect on it... So I am Ok with it.

At first I was like
and then I remembered the other fantastic games getting released in Q4 2011 and the fact that I probably be going to school by then. And then I realised that this is actually way better. Now I don't have to choose between Skyrim and ME3 when I ruin my education!

Too bad we'll never get to play it... because in 2012, the Reapers will appear.

My day just got ruined. =(

I'm actually glad to see they are taking their time on this it would be a shame for it to get rushed out and not reach full potential, plus it will give me more time to play skyrim.

cool, more dev time, opens up the window for SW:TOR. I'm okay with this.

I guess they figured out that short development times and recycled levels tend to divide the fans. If it leads to a better product, go for it.

Frak.

Well, that's OK. I'll probably be broke due to Batman: Arkham City, Catherine, and other cool stuff coming out then.

Honestly? I kinda expected this sort of thing after Dragon Age 2 went down really, really badly. Plus, it gets them out of a crowded release window (as is the case pretty much every year).

This works out well for my wallet and expectations of the game, I personally thought it was a bit of a push for it come out this holiday season.

Uh.... we were expecting this, right?

I mean, Jebus, Bioware are epic, but even they can't complete Mass Effect 3 in a year and a half, as well as doing Dragon Age 2, Jade Empire, That Star Wars MMORPG and a butt-load of DLC.

Come on guys, get real. This was always going to happen.

It's good that some good games get delayed so I can have more time to save more money and play more games!
WhoO!

Damnit! Was totaly expecting to be playing this around chrismas!

Not bothered that much though because as a few has stated already its better they take the time they need than risking ruening the experience because they rushed it.

I guess this leaves the question... will game devs ever figure out a reasonable window to make a good game in? Or is "We're pushing it back" always be a sign that they're making a quality game?

Good. I was actually hoping for this because I feel as though they were rushing it. The last thing I want is for one of my favorite gaming franchise to flop right at the finishing line.

Good. I was actually kind of worried when I compared the development period between ME1(2007) and ME2(2010) and that of ME2(2010) and previous release date of ME3(2011). I'm guessing they're polishing it up more after the whole DA2 shenanigan...

I'm relieved to be honest, I always thought barley 2 years was a really short time for a game that ambitious. And with the recent Dragon Age II backlash in mind, it was probably a good decision to delay it.

Interesting. Since the announcement back in December I have had this feeling that this will delayed. Maybe I hoped for it too. 22 months seems like to little time for a game with such scope as Mass Effect 3. After all, we don't want another Dragon Age 2 now do we?

Well, well. More time for Battlefield 3. Yay!

Shaegor:
Too bad we'll never get to play it... because in 2012, the Reapers will appear.

The Reapers are supposed to arrive at the end of 2012, not the beginning. You can play to your hearts' content until then.

I was expecting this since they first announced it would come out in 2011, so I'm not complaining.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOokay.

I was initially disappointed but instead of remaining crestfallen I quickly consoled myself with the idea that this could mean a bigger, better and more complete game come mass effect 3. I guess I'm forced to wait a little while longer to find out if Miranda will be returning in Mass effect 3 but on the bright side, if you really really want something to make it into ME3 this gives you that much more time for death threats.

It's good that they are taking their time and making sure they get it right. I applaud that.

But with this delay, I have only two more games that I'm really looking forward to (with a bunch that I'm keeping my eye on): Skyward Sword and Skyrim.

Take all the time you need Bioware! I want to really see the differences in my endings between Conrad Verver trying to kill me, The Rachni Queen coming from nowhere with billions of warriors and, all of the other little things I may or may not have done.

Also Bioware: there are a lot of thermal clips in the Mass Effect Universe. Kill them all and bring back the original over-heat system. You can do it!! At least make that an option...ya know, for New Game+ or something.

I'm good with this - I was a little worried about how soon after ME2 the release for ME3 was. I'd much rather that BioWare take all the time they need to make ME3 an amazing game, rather than get something that clearly needed more time in development.

Don't get me wrong - I really liked DA2 but it was clear to me it was a rush job, and could have really benefited from a longer development cycle. They really can't afford to let that happen to ME3, I mean its supposed to be the grand finale to the trilogy - you only get one chance to make it suitably awesome. As far as I'm concerned they can take all the time they need.

Raiyan 1.0:
Good. I was actually kind of worried when I compared the development period between ME1(2007) and ME2(2010) and that of ME2(2010) and previous release date of ME3(2011). I'm guessing they're polishing it up more after the whole DA2 shenanigan...

Actually, the development time would have been roughly the same. ME1 was released at the end of 2007 and ME2 at the beginning of 2010. So the difference would have just been two or three months.

I was glad, as much as I loved Dragon Age 2 you could tell the short developmental cycle was detrimental, not it gives Bioware about two years since the release of Mass Effect 2, which I think is longer than the maybe 14 months between DA:O and DA2. Hopefully it'll mean it will have a lot more focus than Dragon Age 2 had. I don't mind waiting longer for a game which has a greater amount of polish and time in development.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here