Minecraft Plugin Lets Players Build With Portals

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Did Minecraft really think it could get away without its very own Portal mod?

A plugin developer known as "matejdro" has fused the world of Minecraft with the technology of Portal. His Minecraft "PortalStick" plugin gives players the ability to create both blue and orange portals and travel between them. And... cue hundreds of Portal-themed Minecraft worlds.

True to its name, PortalStick has players using a stick as a Portal Gun. To demonstrate his plugin, which doesn't require the use of client mods, matejdro put together a creative test chamber sequence.

As he moves through it, we see that the portals not only teleport players, but retain velocity and direction so that you can jump down into one and be flung out the other. In order for Minecraft builders to make their own test chambers just like you'd see in Portal 2, matejdro also implemented an emancipation grid material that destroys all unnecessary items from inventory and removes portals from their walls.

The portals even support the entry of boats and minecarts while players are in them, leading to some interesting possibilities for the, again, hundreds of test chamber worlds to come. Portal song "Still Alive" has already been played using Minecraft's musical blocks, and Minecraft even has cake, so this is just a match made in heaven.

To get the PortalStick plugin, go here.

*Update*: Readers have pointed out that there's an extensive Minecraft mod that goes a bit more in-depth than this plugin. I like the ingenuity of the plugin, using only what's already available in Minecraft's official code, but if you could care less about modding your client it's something you'll be interested in too. Check it out:

Thanks to everyone for the tip!

that's one crazily awesome plugin ^^

Oh my Lord...That is too awesome. Who needs Portal 2 now? ;D

Well that clever. Wounder which will be the next game to have portals? Metroid Portals anyone?

That is pretty awesome right there. How do they keep making all this awesome stuff?

Minecraft.

Now 56% more addictive!

That's really cool.

There's also the portalgun mod, it adds a portal gun, companion cube, weigthed cube, emancipation grid, shock absorbing boots Portal Gun

That's really cool, but have you seen the other one?

This is why I love gaming.

Not to sound like a douche, but there's allready been a more fleshed out and visually accurate portal mod for some time now. Complete with long-fall boots, companion cubes, and the launchers and targets.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=215961

EDIT: I appear to have been ninja'd.

Still a impressive mod though. Amazing what this game is capable of.

the portals look stupid but I'm quite digging this otherwise

I think I will be making some portal missions

That thing looks less like a portal and more like a doorway of some kind.

"And then everyone from the planet Earth disappeared forever locked away in there basements playing Minecraft"

Tom Goldman:

The good news'll be if Steam doesn't try to pull some mess about trademark infringement or somesuch. Sounds like a good mod, and a fun addition to the game.

He should get someone to design his portals for him. Portals themselves should be only 2 blocks high instead of being so unnecessarily huge. And the emancipation grill shouldn't be.....reeds.

Other than that, the way momentum is conserved is just downright Impressive!

InsanelyZanter:
Not to sound like a douche, but there's allready been a more fleshed out and visually accurate portal mod for some time now. Complete with long-fall boots, companion cubes, and the launchers and targets.

Sure but this is just a plugin... no client mod required.

Someone should report this to the developer of the origional Portal Gun mod on the Minecraft forums. This is just a cheap imitation that doesn't even add a Portal Gun.

There's a real Emancipation Grill, Momentum is still conserved, and you get a bunch of other stuff, too. I'm using HEP Launchers on the side of a boat on one of my Minecraft SSP maps as cannons!

Tom Goldman:

InsanelyZanter:

Sure but this is just a plugin... no client mod required.

Correct. But the full mod seems more worthy of the attention.

Oh hackers. Whatever are they gonna do next.

Agreed, the Portal Gun mod is far superior, with better aesthetics and more features (cubes, orb launchers etc.). The guy involved is even looking into letting you see through portals.

I agree the full mod is more worthy of attention than the plugin version.

Here's the Portal trailer using the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Ud9esotDU&feature=player_embedded

That's awesome!
Can you use it in your regular world? Oh man, the possibilities!

Is it true to form and only sticks on one material?

Now if he added a proper GLaDOS voice simulator so I could actually make the whole game proper Portal-fun I'd be more than happy to get it.

Agent Larkin:
Minecraft.

Now 56% more addictive!

65% more minecraft per minecraft! This is Cave Johnson. We're done here.

Dastardly:

Tom Goldman:

The good news'll be if Steam doesn't try to pull some mess about trademark infringement or somesuch. Sounds like a good mod, and a fun addition to the game.

I'm sure there shouldn't be any problems since it's a mod and not a new game feature. And the similarities with portal are too little in comparison with another mod already made(that one copies portal a lot more)

Agent Larkin:
Minecraft.

Now 56% more addictive!

so we are like 6574% more addictive now???? cuz the reasons go on and on

I kinda bugs me that the the plugin got the publicity when the full mod has so much more functionality and looks far more professional. Had they done their research when putting this out they might have found the mod and texture packs. This is really only a tip of the iceberg, and not really as good as the rest.

2xDouble:
That's really cool, but have you seen the other one?

The difference is that this is not a mod.

This is a server plug in, and everyone can play on it. They don't need a client side mode.

Although, I like the mode you posted. I've played a lot with it.

@TOPIC
This plug in is great. Now we just need a way to bring GLaDOS to Minecraft and there we have it, no need for Portal 2.
And the best thing is, there are unlimited testing chambers. Would be great if someone opens a server where people could build their own testing chambers.

more like a match made in the bowels of internet game nerd hell.

zombie711:
Well that clever. Wounder which will be the next game to have portals? Metroid Portals anyone?

Er, Metroid titles are pretty much never on the PC, so those have no mod dev kit.

OT: Portal 2's SDK is now redundant!

This is neat...but you know I was going to say something about maybe using this constructive energy for something more worth while like idk, but fuck it. That is really neat.

And so the universe did cometh to an end.

Dastardly:

Tom Goldman:

Valve are the company, and no they won't.

Apparently, the player does not have long-fall boots as they are hurt at 1:18

Raiyan 1.0:

zombie711:

Er, Metroid titles are pretty much never on the PC, so those have no mod dev kit.

OT: Portal 2's SDK is now redundant!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109809-Halo-Loving-Modder-Creates-Portal-Reach
Pshhhhh PC. Please. You dont need a PC to make stuff on a game, you just need inovation and tools.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here