Dark Knight Rises Set Photo Hints at Lazarus Pit

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dark Knight Rises Set Photo Hints at Lazarus Pit

A photo from the set of Dark Knight Rises might reveal an important, life-rejuvenating plot point.

Christoper Nolan has been very secretive about the plot of Dark Knight Rises. We know about some of the film's cast, including Tom Hardy as Bane and Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle (who may or may not don her Catwoman costume), Marion Cotillard and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in unassuming roles, Josh Pence as young Ra's al Ghul, and that's about it. However, now that shooting is getting underway, a photo from the set in India may have revealed a plot device related to Ra's al Ghul.

In the Batman comic books, Ra's al Ghul stays eternally young and healthy through a pool of mystical chemicals called the Lazarus Pit. In the leaked photo, a large hole has been dug in the ground and green-screened so that effects can be added after filming. With the confirmation of a young Ra's al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises, it's entirely possible that this hole is a Lazarus Pit.

While the Lazarus Pit keeps whoever takes a dip in it alive, it also drives them mad. Nolan introduced Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins as a pretty crazy guy, what with him wanting to kill a mass of people to save the world and all. Though the idea of a Lazarus Pit seems a little out of Nolan's range, who previously used no "superpowers" in his Batman films, it still could fit from a scientific angle. Evidently, there's a mention of "The Pit" in Ra's al Ghul's journal from the Batman Begins novel, lending more credence to the theory here.

This might mean that the young Ra's al Ghul being played by Pence will actually be the present Ra's al Ghul rather than a version shown in flashbacks, perhaps being forced back into the Lazarus Pit to heal injuries sustained in Batman Begins. Of course, this is all speculation, but the coincidence of green-screened pit dug in the middle of India and the casting of a young Ra's al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises isn't exactly something that can be ignored.

Source: Comic Book Movie

Considering how Nolan was set on 'no supernatural elements' in his Batman movies I really wonder how this will pan out.

If he doesn't do chemical vats for the Joker, I wouldn't say there's much chance of a magic pit.

Woodsey:
If he doesn't do chemical vats for the Joker, I wouldn't say there's much chance of a magic pit.

But he didn't do vats for Joker for thematic reasons, not because it's unrealistic. Think about it, what's scarier: A guy scarred and driven crazy by chemicals out to cause anarchy, or just some dude in crumbling makeup out to cause anarchy for no reason?

Thematically, I do think the Lazarus Pit would fit with what Nolan's been doing with Ra's as a character.

EDIT: Before answering the above question, keep in mind what was in our heads about the Joker before DK.

Woodsey:

But he didn't do vats for Joker for thematic reasons, not because it's unrealistic. Think about it, what's scarier: A guy scarred and driven crazy by chemicals out to cause anarchy, or just some dude in crumbling makeup out to cause anarchy for no reason?

Thematically, I do think the Lazarus Pit would fit with what Nolan's been doing with Ra's as a character.

EDIT: Before answering the above question, keep in mind what was in our heads about the Joker before DK.

I still don't see it - at all.

Woodsey:

Woodsey:

You don't see the Lazarus Pits, you mean?

Woodsey:

No, I mean I don't see him including them.

I used the chemical thing as a comparison because its still kind of based in a realm of reality - its not magic. You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.

Woodsey:

Woodsey:

No, I mean I don't see him including them.

I used the chemical thing as a comparison because its still kind of based in a realm of reality - its not magic. You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.

That's what I meant.

Well, it wouldn't HAVE to be magic. It could be some sort of scientific thing. Still seems unrealistic, but I think Nolan's earned enough good will from me to give him a chance at this.

I think the Lazarus Pit is perfect for the Dark Knight
It drives you batty!

Christopher nolan's brilliant and all but i'm starting to get suspicious that this might be going down the spider-man route of "good first film, great second film, shitty third film".

Did the Batman movies really need this? I think it's an odd choice of direction.

We got cryptic snapshots for Dark Knight, so this pleases me we get them again for Rises. Frankly I am not even all that sure what we are looking at given the quality of the photo. I choose to just wait for the movie before speculating something that would just ruin it for me.
I am still not sure about Anne Hathaway as Selina. But perhaps she is up to breaking her mold as being a "wholesome" star and give us some nice surprises.

Tom Goldman:

While the Lazarus Pit keeps whoever takes a dip in it alive, it also drives them mad.

Yes and no, while madness is an after effect of the pit it is only a temporary effect, outside of the comics this was probably best shown in Batman the animated series, in "The Demon's quest" (I think it was part two but it may have been part one)

Man people are so desperate for news on Dark Knight Rises that a green hole in the ground makes the news rounds eh?

i don't really have high hopes for this movie, the inclusion of bane, selina kyle, and ras al ghul seems like it may be too much. that being said, if anyone can pull it off its christopher nolan.

All I care about is if this movie will be good.

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean, Nolan has, thus far, kept the films quite "realistic", and a puddle of luminescent green liquid that can - either by method of magic or science - keep one young seems a little far-fetched.

Additionally, if this is the case, why not reprise Liam Neeson for the role of Ra's? He's a tremendous actor and I think he did a great job in the first film. I know this Ra's is supposed to be a younger version of the Ra's in Batman Begins, but still....

My captcha is telling me to "practice staludi". I shall, captcha. I shall.

That pit is on the surface, the Lazarus pit would always be hidden or someone would have noticed it.

Woodsey:
You don't rebuild a franchise using a realist approach and then include magic pits.

Also that.

A green-screened pit could be anything. A crater from a crash or explosion, or an entrance to the bat cave.

Well it seems odd he would go down the magix path now, but then again he did wrap quite alot of supernatural stuff up in Hollywood reality quite nicely so I trust him to continue doing so.

Couldn't it be the venom for Bane? ...although that's a bit "unrealistic" as well (compared to what's been done in Begins and DK), but still less than Lazarus pitts (personally hate magic stuff in superhero stories, always seems like a they ran out of ideas or got into a dead end).

And arent Lazarus pitts yellowish, not green?

anian:
And arent Lazarus pitts yellowish, not green?

The pit wouldn't be green in the movie; they would use the method of green screening to apply the digital effects for the pit into the hole where ever the green screen covered.

OT:I still have no idea what I'm looking it. Is that a close up of a piece of wood with a green paint drop on it? I know what the article says I'm supposed to be looking at but all I see if a close up of wood.

Yeah I don't see it. I really doubt Nolan would include something to keep a character immortal, even if he explained it through some nanobot bullcrap it would still ruin his realist approach to things and wouldn't fit the other movies.

I don't think it's a Lazarus pit. To be honest a green screened pit could be anything.

.... That's just a green blob on some decking. What you lot seeing? Is this something like those magic eye pictures?Caz I can't see anything there either.

Still can't see why they didn't go for the riddler

I can't even remember who Bane is

My personal theory on this picture is that it's just green screen. Maybe it's an entrance to a cave that's way deeper than they could dig without problems so just green screened it.
I can't see this being the Lazarus pit, primarily because it would be too obvious. They know people think Ra's has more to do with it, so I think they're using this vague picture to stir up fans. Remember when Joseph Gordon-Levitt was "all but confirmed" as the Holiday killer? Every time there are assumptions made about Nolan's choices, he gleefully pulls the rug from under people's feet.

luvd1:
.... That's just a green blob on some decking. What you lot seeing? Is this something like those magic eye pictures?Caz I can't see anything there either.

KeyMaster45:

OT:I still have no idea what I'm looking it. Is that a close up of a piece of wood with a green paint drop on it? I know what the article says I'm supposed to be looking at but all I see if a close up of wood.

That's what I thought at first glance as well, but if you look closely, you'll see mountain formations from a bird's eye view. The dark lines running along the picture could be some form of window frame of a helicopter or building on higher terrains.

samsonguy920:
We got cryptic snapshots for Dark Knight, so this pleases me we get them again for Rises. Frankly I am not even all that sure what we are looking at given the quality of the photo. I choose to just wait for the movie before speculating something that would just ruin it for me.
I am still not sure about Anne Hathaway as Selina. But perhaps she is up to breaking her mold as being a "wholesome" star and give us some nice surprises.

That girl hasn't been wholesome in like 5 years, when she starred in Havoc and Brokeback Mountain. Pay attention

hmmm, we'll see how this pans out. I'd actually he rather not put in the silly parts of the Batman mythos as they'd feel awkward in his rendition of it.

I already know what's coming from the Lazarus pit.Heath Ledger!This is a horrible pun...

Sinclose:
Considering how Nolan was set on 'no supernatural elements' in his Batman movies I really wonder how this will pan out.

Okey, how will they work in Bane then? His strenght is "supernatural". Or does sci-fi not count as supernatural?

anian:
Couldn't it be the venom for Bane?

The photo does look more like a drop of venom on a wooden deck than a aerial shot to me.

HankMan:
I think the Lazarus Pit is perfect for the Dark Knight
It drives you batty!

This is appropriate

HerbertTheHamster:
Still can't see why they didn't go for the riddler

I can't even remember who Bane is

...Seriously?

From what was that picture taken? Its awful X_X
I mean it could be photoshoped for all i know o.O

Ra's al Ghul? Wasn't that just a title passed on from one to another, to create a myth of immortality?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.