Rumor: Dark Tower Films May Be Dead

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Dark Tower Films May Be Dead

News pouring out of Hollywood makes it sound like the films based on The Dark Tower aren't even going to get a chance to get off the ground.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series has been in pre-production for a film adaptation since last year, with a planned release date in Spring of 2013. However, there's bad news for fans of the books: Movie insiders are reporting that the project is being abandoned.

The project, which is being headed by Ron Howard, has been seen by many folks in the industry as a risky venture thanks to its massive scale. King's plot line, which spans several books and short stories, is too big for any one movie; as a result, the adaptation would cover three films and two television series.

Now, though, the adaptation is facing a very serious possibility of being nixed:

Universal Pictures has put pre-production staff on hiatus as they discuss ways to bring down the budget of the ambitious adaptation of the Stephen King novel series The Dark Tower. Talks are ongoing between studio brass, director Ron Howard and his Imagine Entertainment, and writer/producer Akiva Goldsman about how they will proceed.

At the moment, it sounds like there's still a possibility that the project might work out and fans will get to see the story acted out on both the big -and small- screens. In the meantime, you can always check out the comic adaptation instead (though you may want to wait until Marvel publishes the ~900 page omnibus in September).

Source: Deadline via Topless Robot

Nice pic of John Marston on the right.

OT: Never heard of it.

That Guy Who Phails:

That's Roland, the main character from the book series.

I don't know whether to be glad or upset. On one hand I won't get to see a movie adaptation of a great series on the other hand I won't have to suffer the indignity of saying I liked the books if the movie had turned out poor.

One of part of me is kind of disappointed, but another part is glad.

The Dark Tower series is really surreal, I don't think certain important elements would translate well to TV/movies.

Good for them....no high budget fantasy epic ever made a lick of money. I bet their investors are extremely happy with the decision.

DefinitelyPsychotic:

That Guy Who Phails:

Because I totally wasn't making a joke about how similar they both look

-Edit-

Saw, your other post. Funny. XD

OT: I hope it gets made. I really do. Hell, I'd be happy for a Tv mini series-esqe format where all of the films are sorta made for TV (TNT does something of a decent job with this).

Though I dont know, Parts of it wouldnt be able to be shown, and they're usually those minor parst that help tie it together or give the feel (I'm trying ot think of if/how they would Tackle Eddie's naked gunfight in the second book in particular, but more then just that).

Eh., I've read the books, and they're very well written. You get a good picture in your mind, so I guess I'm conflicted on how much by excitement would outweigh the potential disappointment.

EDIT2:

rembrandtqeinstein:
Good for them....no high budget fantasy epic ever made a lick of money. I bet their investors are extremely happy with the decision.

I think the difference with this is that The Dark Tower books arent as popular or known as LotR.

emeraldrafael:
snip

I BLOODY KNOW PLEASE STOP QUOTING ME IT WAS A JOKE PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!1

*Cries in corner*

It'd be nice to get some news on the proposed Wheel of Time movies.

Daystar Clarion:

The Dark Tower series is really surreal, I don't think certain important elements would translate well to TV/movies.

All I ever got from the covers in the Barnes & Noble was there were cowboy(s) in it. What more can you tell me about them?

HankMan:

Daystar Clarion:

All I ever got from the covers in the Barnes & Noble was there were cowboy(s) in it. What more can you tell me about them?

Despite the covers of the books, the Dark Tower series isn't a western, it's more fantasy than anything.

I can't really describe the story without ruining anything, but I would recommend readin it. It has great characters and a great setting.

That Guy Who Phails:

DefinitelyPsychotic:

That Guy Who Phails:

You did mention that you never heard of the series before, so I naturally assumed you had no clue who that really was.

There is no need to be a smart-ass.

DefinitelyPsychotic:

That Guy Who Phails:

DefinitelyPsychotic:

You did mention that you never heard of the series before, so I naturally assumed you had no clue who that really was.

There is no need to be a smart-ass.

Sorry, I naturally assumed a picture of John Marston wouldn't be in a thread about the cancellation of a Book2Film.

If that's my fault, then go ahead and shoot me.

HankMan:

Daystar Clarion:

Well, they're some of the most captivating books you'll ever read, thats all I got to add.

HankMan:

Daystar Clarion:

Post-apocalyptic cowboys and a multiverse held together by the dark tower. Baddies are trying to break the tower so reality breaks. Story is about destiny/cruel fate and the main characters are all horribly flawed I don't mean like "doesn't always share" I mean like....ah dam spoilers...uh...what to put here...

It's a very trippy series the majority of which was written when Stephen King was younger and off his face on various drugs.

Aww, the Red Dead Redemption movie penned by Stephen King is no more?

Damn, that would have been cool.

*giggle

Nooooo! This was/is my most anticipated film(series) of all time. :(

I'm kinda glad this got canned. The Dark Tower books always seemed like they had a lot more potential than they ever fulfilled to me. I really hated the way King kept dropping pop culture references in there like they really existed in Roland's dimension, like the castle that was just like the Wizard of Oz's palace, or the snitch from Harry Potter that was really a bomb. Fucking lame.

That Guy Who Phails:

emeraldrafael:
snip

I BLOODY KNOW PLEASE STOP QUOTING ME IT WAS A JOKE PLEASE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!1

*Cries in corner*

Hey! I know you! You're that guy... that guy who phails!

I'm sorry... I couldn't resist that one. 8D

Isn't there some kind of Stephen King curse? Like, every movie made off of a book of his is complete shit? Minus, you know, The Shining. It's not like he is that good a writer anyway, so I guess it isn't hard to fuck up his adaptations. All 600 of them.

You know I would be upset but so much of King's work is turned to shit when its made into movie form. Its just like fuck it, its not worth the risk.

I feel both really disappointed, and unbelievably relieved. The Dark Tower series is my absolute favorite, and I honestly don't know what I'd do if a film or, God forbid, TV series was made and was unwatchable.

I think that it should stay in book form until they're SURE they can pull it off, so maybe it's for the best. God knows it'd be complex to try to get all of this to screen. So much wandering took place during that series.

GreatTeacherCAW:
Isn't there some kind of Stephen King curse? Like, every movie made off of a book of his is complete shit? Minus, you know, The Shining. It's not like he is that good a writer anyway, so I guess it isn't hard to fuck up his adaptations. All 600 of them.

Yeah, The Shining was just kinda shit. I do like the book very much though, and it got me into King for a short while until the repetition started getting into me.

GreatTeacherCAW:

... What?

Its all subjective, but the Stand was rather good. Misery was as well.

People still talk about Stand By Me (The Body), Cujo was huge (though that ending was crap. But I guess you cant have the real ending cause otherwise there would have been alot of depressed people), The Green Mile was nominated and won quite a few academy awards, It (in my mind) stands as one of the most sadistic things you can ever show someone (fi theyre in the right mood, or young like I was whne I first say it), Christine/Carrie defined generations in film, I dont know anyone that had a problem with Shawshank Redemption (based on Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption), the Running Man is kinda good, Creepshow is actually pretty cool, The lawnmower man is a decent enough film.

I dont think there's really been a completely terrible movie based off his works except maybe the Mist (and probably room 1408, you could argue that).

Since Hollywood studio buys far more scripts then they make into films (and their have been many cases they have made entire films and never released them after it was finished) this shouldn't be surprising.

For example, Superbad almost met this fate until 40 Year old Virgin was a big hit, and then they released it to cash in on the stars.

emeraldrafael:

GreatTeacherCAW:

... What?

Its all subjective, but the Stand was rather good. Misery was as well.

People still talk about Stand By Me (The Body), Cujo was huge (though that ending was crap. But I guess you cant have the real ending cause otherwise there would have been alot of depressed people), The Green Mile was nominated and won quite a few academy awards, It (in my mind) stands as one of the most sadistic things you can ever show someone (fi theyre in the right mood, or young like I was whne I first say it), Christine/Carrie defined generations in film, I dont know anyone that had a problem with Shawshank Redemption (based on Rita Hayworth and the Shawkshank Redemption), the Running Man is kinda good, Creepshow is actually pretty cool, The lawnmower man is a decent enough film.

I dont think there's really been a completely terrible movie based off his works except maybe the Mist (and probably room 1408, you could argue that).

You know, 1408 was rather enjoyable. Never read the story. I guess EVERYTHING that King writes can't be shit. I mean, he has... what? 4 billion published books? 5 new every week? Probably a ratio of 1 out of 40 is decent, I would say. But then you get to the movies, most of which seem to be made for TV. So that narrows it to 1 out of 80 for the adaptations.

GreatTeacherCAW:
Snip

Well, I find him a good author, but thats just me. Just saying, most of his book based movies do really well, cause he has a large hand in a good portion of them and works with people who have good track records.

... He's better then that Patterson guy at least.

When I saw the picture, I got excited we'd have another DLC for John Marston's tail. D:

As a fan of the books I would be DELIGHTED to see this die. I cant picture it translating well to movies. Why? Has any King movie EVER translated well to the silver screen other than the standalone flukes (green mile, Shawshank, perhaps even Stand by Me) I know people are going to jump up and down howling?

This is the series where the author appeared as a kind of whiny god figure half way through and the last chapter is preceded by a lengthy note on why you shouldn't read the ending (I'll give him credit: I kind of did regret having read it, so at least he knew it was bad). I think I can live without the film version (The first three-or-so books were pretty cool, though). Besides, the Dark Tower just plain doesn't work without a hard R, so the usual 'fantasy epic' audience probably wouldn't be out in force for this one.

Robot Overlord:

HankMan:

Daystar Clarion:

Well, they're some of the most captivating books you'll ever read, thats all I got to add.

Truth ^

I'm pretty disappointed. I really thought they made a good casting choice for Roland and was waiting to see how the other characters turned out, mainly Eddie. There is always the possibility that the movies will be an utter disaster, but if done right they would be extremely enjoyable.

I guess Stephen King wont get to write himself into another crappy film. Stephen King, the Stan Lee of the literary world.

NO! Why? It'd be an epic series! But, then again, it could have also ruined the series. I still don't like the cancellation, though.

Dark Tower deserves better than Ron Howard.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here