Hitman: Absolution Teaser Is Precisely That

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hitman: Absolution Teaser Is Precisely That

Agent 47 is returning for his "most dangerous" contract yet, but we don't really know much more than that.

It's been a while since we first heard rumors that there was a new Hitman in the works. It's been less of a while since we first learned that the game could be called Hitman: Absolution. Hopefully, it will be even less of a while before we learn more about the game beyond a cryptic teaser trailer and some marketing fluff.

I really hesitate to call the video here to the right a "trailer," because there's very little actual content. In it, everyone's favorite bald-headed professional murderer calmly affixes a silencer to a pistol, and then the scene changes to a snake coiled around a gun. That's it.

Unless publisher Square-Enix and developer IO Interactive are hinting that there will be a gun in the game that shoots snakes as ammunition, there's nothing else there.

There's a bit more in Square's marketing fluff: Agent 47 will be accepting his "most dangerous contract to date," having been betrayed by friends and sought by lawmen for years - maybe he could try changing his hairstyle, just a thought. 47 will be caught in the middle of a conspiracy, which must be a bummer when all you want to do is to get paid to kill dudes.

"For the first time we are taking Agent 47 on a personal journey which allows us to explore other parts of the Hitman fantasy," said IO game director Tore Blystad. "This is both a familiar and yet significantly different experience from other Hitman games; something our silent assassins will relish, as will all those new to the Hitman world."

The game will be revealed at E3 and is scheduled to hit shelves in 2012. For the record, if there is a gun in the game that shoots snakes as ammunition, then I totally called it.

(Via VG247)

Should anyone have any faith in IO after K&L2?

I've never been a Hitman fan before, and I'm not starting now unless a drastic gameplay overhaul happens...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.

Quite the...not telling you shit...trailer.

I mean, Square Enix is probably gonna get blamed if it sucks, but really...they haven't seemed to display any sort of attempt to control game development of anything they publish, seeing how the Eidos properties have turned out so far. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light and Just Cause 2 both met very positive critical reception. Kane & Lynch 2 got butchered on the other hand, and I can't shake the feeling that IO is mostly to blame. I mean, we don't exactly get a lot of news posts from Square Enix reps about...anything.

Looks... Ehh... Well.. It sure looks!

Damn, that reminds me how brilliant the music in the Hitman games always is.

It's been far too long since Blood Money, to say I'm looking forward to this would be a gross understatement :D

Onyx Oblivion:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, and I'm not starting now unless a drastic gameplay overhaul happens...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.

Yeah well...

K&L isn't Hitman now is it?

They are 2 entirely separate franchises. Just because a company is great at making solo stealth games, don't mean they're gonna set the world on fire with something like K&L.

Fair enough if you dont like the game play of Hitman games, that's understandable, but just because K&L was wank doesn't mean the new Hitman game is gonna suck the sack...

I've only played Hitman 2: Silent Assassin(can't remember jack shit what happen in that game) while I did play and beat hitman contracts. It was all his old missions played in reverse and I need to play hitman:bloodmoney.

I bet that snake is thinking "Just TRY to take my gun Obama, make may day!"
OT: at least the graphics look good.

Onyx Oblivion:
Should I have any faith in IO after K&L2?

They've done alright with Hitman so far.

I was so excited until I saw the Square Enix logo at the end. Now I am very fearful of what's to come D:

Onyx Oblivion:

Isn't really fair to judge them on that - developed during a roofing change and any time there's a takeover:

A) Workforce is shattered

B) Things get shaken up, for shaking ups sakes

I'm judging what this game will be like by Deus Ex - and therefore how heavy handed Square are and how likely they'll interfere with what makes the games good.

Admittedly the controls are rusty, but I want the soul to remain intact.

With the advent of accident kills in the previous game, I'm hoping IO will step it up and introduce career kills. I.e. study a target, learn their movements, anticipate their travelling and plot the assassinations accordingly - this game has the potential to be among the deepest and most intelligent on the market.

Wadders:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah well...

They are 2 entirely separate franchises. Just because a company is great at making solo stealth games, don't mean they're gonna set the world on fire with something like K&L.

Fair enough if you dont like the game play of Hitman games, that's understandable, but just because K&L was wank doesn't mean the new Hitman game is gonna suck the sack...

I'm just wondering if the studio has undergone any drastic employee changes, really. Because I may not have loved Blood Money, but that was personal taste. There is a clear dip in quality in regards to K&L2. And it has been YEARS. Some people have come and gone.

HankMan:
I bet that snake is thinking "Just TRY to take my gun Obama, make may day!"
OT: at least the graphics look good.

Onyx Oblivion:
Should I have any faith in IO after K&L2?

Have they steered you wrong with Hitman yet?

While that maybe true, I don't think Square Enix had a hand in its development so far

Onyx Oblivion:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, then again, I've only played the first 3 levels of Blood Money...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.

Well, they did make Freedom Fighters... so yeah.

Hopefully Kane and Lynch 2 was just an isolated incident.

I really hope it was.

Onyx Oblivion:

Wadders:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah well...

I'm just wondering if the studio has undergone any drastic employee changes, really. Because I may not have loved Blood Money, but that was personal taste. There is a clear dip in quality in regards to K&L2. And it has been YEARS. Some people have come and gone.

Fair enough. I mean I love Blood Money personally, but as I said myself, it's been a damned long time since that came out, so you certainly have a point there.

Dammit, you've gone and made me all skeptical now :P

Lets just hope this game doesn't go the way that Max Payne 3 seems to be going.

Give it the Blood Money gameplay, with improvements to gameplay, ragdolls, more epic music, more epic ways to kill people, better gunplay, better AI, better graphics, Diana, and keep 47's style. DON'T TURN IT INTO A FAST PACED PEW PEW "STEALTH" GAME!

was it really worth showing us this, all we know is theres a new hitman game on the way.

gah, well i dont think the moderators will like that, so i'll add:
i hope this is better than all the last games, a very big overhaul is needed, gameplay and visual wise.

Iunno, Hitman was a great series, don't go hating on IO because of a separate game...

I'm just psyched they finally officially announced it.

Irridium:

Onyx Oblivion:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, then again, I've only played the first 3 levels of Blood Money...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.

Well, they did make Freedom Fighters... so yeah.

Hopefully Kane and Lynch 2 was just an isolated incident.

I really hope it was.

oh shit they made freedom fighters? definately worth a look in my opinion then :)

Wadders:

Better to be skeptical and surprised by a game's greatness, then hyped to all hell and let down.

It's going to be a Hitman game alright.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I've only played Hitman 2: Silent Assassin(can't remember jack shit what happen in that game) while I did play and beat hitman contracts. It was all his old missions played in reverse and I need to play hitman:bloodmoney.

Over half the missions in Contracts were specific to that game. The ones that were lifted from the original game were also significantly reworked and retooled, essentially only sharing the main objectives with the original missions.

CardinalPiggles:
i hope this is better than all the last games, a very big overhaul is needed, gameplay and visual wise.

What needs to be changed about the gameplay and visuals? Blood Money played the best out of all the games, and it was one of the best looking games on the PS2.

I really like hitman, so hopefully they will make another good one

Onyx Oblivion:

Wadders:

Better to be skeptical and surprised by a game's greatness, then hyped to all hell and let down.

This is very true.

*glares at Crysis 2*

The key to making this game a smashing hit?

Just replace every level with the Mountain Playboy Mansion from 'You better watch out' in Blood Money.

Best. Level. Ever.

Easton Dark:

Just replace every level with the Mountain Playboy Mansion from 'You better watch out' in Blood Money.

Best. Level. Ever.

not as good as Traditions of the Trade if you ask me

lol double post

Easton Dark:

Best. Level. Ever.

What about the night club with the heaven/hell theme where demon lesbians make out in the halls and an angel wearing nothing but dental floss tries to seduce you and then slash your throat with a knife?

The mardis gras level was pretty cool too, where you weave through crowds and hunt rival assassins holed up in night clubs around the city.

Actually, any level with a night club is cool. There's just something satisfying about pushing your way through a throng of mindless partyers who have no idea they're dancing with the grim reaper incarnate. Maybe a lesson in fibre-wiring will teach them not to make fun of my dancing skills! Huhahaahaaa!

James Joseph Emerald:
Actually, any level with a night club is cool. There's just something satisfying about pushing your way through a throng of mindless partyers who have no idea they're dancing with the grim reaper incarnate. Maybe a lesson in fibre-wiring will teach them not to make fun of my dancing skills! Huhahaahaaa!

47's dance skills consist of spinning around really fast in one spot.

He could get dance lessons from Commander Shepard.

A new Hitman eh? And it falls in 2012 eh? Perfect. Plenty of time to get a new job!

No Bobcats Allowed:

With the advent of accident kills in the previous game, I'm hoping IO will step it up and introduce career kills. I.e. study a target, learn their movements, anticipate their travelling and plot the assassinations accordingly - this game has the potential to be among the deepest and most intelligent on the market.

Hopefully we get to be creative. Don't know if it's been done but it'd be nice to turn a smokers gas on while they're sleeping. If the gas doesn't get them first lighting the fag will.

James Joseph Emerald:
The mardis gras level was pretty cool too, where you weave through crowds and hunt rival assassins holed up in night clubs around the city.

Ah, one of the rare occasions where a game actually causes my jaw to drop.

James Joseph Emerald:

Easton Dark:

Best. Level. Ever.

What about the night club with the heaven/hell theme where demon lesbians make out in the halls and an angel wearing nothing but dental floss tries to seduce you and then slash your throat with a knife?

Naw "A New Life" was the best mission, the one with the guy in the Hawaiian shirt in his house that was having a birthday party, SO many ways to do that one... although all things considered nearly every level in that game was great

Onyx Oblivion:

Every Hitman except 3 are really damn good. Totally worth playing through at least once. They get better with each one.

What's that at the end?

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a date to me

Ive been looking forward to a new Hitman. If its anywhere close to being as good as the others it will be a sure buy...that is if it doesnt get banned in Australia -.-

EcksTeaSea:

Onyx Oblivion:

Every Hitman except 3 are really damn good. Totally worth playing through at least once. They get better with each one.

All I played was the first 3 levels of Blood Money.

>_>

I didn't enjoy it very much. But not because it was bad. Just not my thing.

I'm nervous here. It sounds like they want to make the story important. Normally this would make me happy, I like a good story.

Not in this franchise though, the story was always very much a sideshow. The Hitman games are all about the gameplay, being a sneaky mother fucker. Ideally, no one even knows you are there. If 47 is important to the story then it immediately implies that your enemies will be on the lookout for him. That destroys his most valuable tool, his anonymity.

The story is just there to assure you that the people you kill deserve it, or that they are at least very bad people. 47's businesslike attitude, his being emotionally and personally uninvested in the goings on, is one of the things that makes him an intimidating character. He's a sociopath, don't take that away from him.

In Blood Money, the most scripted of the games, they got around the problem of having 47 be an important part of the story by having it all being looked back upon; I don't think they can do that again.

It was done in Contracts too but that struck me more as a way of telling the stroy, compared to it actually enabling Blood Money's story. Contracts could have been told in a linear way and the story wouldn't have been any different whereas Blood Money wouldn't have had a story until the end.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here