No Fable III PC Demo After All

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

No Fable III PC Demo After All

Despite what you may have heard, it turns out that there won't be a demo for the PC version of Fable III.

On May 10, Major Nelson revealed in the latest Xbox Live Markeplace release schedule that a demo for the PC edition of Fable III would be released next week alongside the full version of the game. It was welcome news, although not terribly surprising given that a demo for the Xbox 360 version has been around since the game launched last year, but it was also short-lived; soon after the post went up, the Major made a slight correction, writing, "I've been informed that a Fable III PC demo is no longer scheduled."

Fair enough, albeit it a bit odd, but things didn't get really confusing until IncGamers contacted Lionhead to inquire about the situation. A studio rep told the site that a demo for the PC had never been planned in the first place and that there was obviously a "misunderstanding."

I'm not entirely sure how such a misunderstanding could happen, given that all roads in this case lead to Microsoft, and I'm having a hard time fathoming why the company would pass on a PC demo. Fable is a big franchise on the Xbox 360 but it's been six years since the original game was released on the PC, which for all practical purposes makes Fable III a brand-new, stand-alone title. A demo would go a long way toward convincing gamers to lay down their money.

But the bottom line is that it's not happening; if you want to play Fable III on the PC, you're going to have to roll the dice and hope for the best. The PC version of Fable III comes out on May 17.

Source: Blue's

I guess that's a no for me. I wanted to give it a chance to surprise me, but alas.

PC gamers tend to get mad over little things, and blow it out of proportion. (I'm a PC gamer by the way.) I'd like to see a demo, after playing Dead Space 1 on PC. I am very skeptical about any port.

Kinda off topic-
But a PC release 7 1/2 months from the console one leaves me to believe... IT'S NOT WORTH IT. With miniature features added that intrigues me no more than paint drying does.

Sadly, not many people will buy it because most don't care anymore or have played it. Making Lionhead think OMGPIRACY *abandons PC platform* or continue making ports months and months after console release.

No demo, no sale. PC games can be temperamental so lack of a demo is a killer. Really wanted to give this game a chance. Oh well.

George Bush doesn't care about black people. By George Bush, of course I mean Microsoft, and by black people I mean PC gamers.

It's ok Microsoft, don't worry, Fable has been shit since the second one.
Also, it does NOT take a year to port from the Xbox to a PC, this is just Microsoft dicking around.

Hachura:
George Bush doesn't care about black people. By George Bush, of course I mean Microsoft, and by black people I mean PC gamers.

It's so obvious that they've abandoned PC gaming. Look at all the Xbox/Live improvements. Then look at our "Games For Windows Live"

It makes me sad. :c

And nothing of value was lost that day

Braedan:
Also, it does NOT take a year to port from the Xbox to a PC, this is just Microsoft dicking around.

Yeah, Fable 1 was overhyped, but enjoyable...
Fable 2 was a horrid affair in button-mashing and simplistic gameplay where even a toddler could win.
Then somehow, they made the game easier with Fable 3, everything that was wrong they made worse, everything that was working they removed, and they fixed shit that didn't need fixing...

Just put Molyneux back into the position he was in when the studios were making good games... because clearly he ain't fit for where he's at now...

And he won't be when he comes out with Fable 4, proclaiming the 3rd game was a horrible piece of poopoo, and Fable 4 is the second coming of Christ.

Then 5 comes out, with him calling Fable 4 the anti-christ, while 5 will be Charlie Sheen WINNING...

Yes let's not release a demo in a world where developers don't properly optimize their games nor do they get the requirements even in the bloody ballpark. I mean GTA IV, I can run Crysis on high but Prototype just ran sluggishly and awful.

This ladies and gentlemen is why so many people pirate games because it's better than risking 60 dollars of your money when a multimillion dollar corporation can't be asked to make a small demo.

Anyone else think this means they know they made a shitty, half assed port that will be worse than the 360 version in every concievable way, and they hope to make a few extra dollars by not giving people the option to see how bad it is before they buy? Phew, that was a long sentence. Personally I think MS wants PC gaming to collapse in the hopes that all the PC players will buy Xboxes where they can be squeezed for every cent more efficiently.

So. Microsoft: Make me want Fable 3 on PC. Just give me one good reason to get this

RPG instead of The Witcher 2.

Whoops. Too late. Already preordered one of the two. Guess which one! Guess who gets my fifty bucks today, and who gets ten bucks during the Steam winter sale! Go on... it's not hard...

cursedseishi:

Braedan:

Yeah, Fable 1 was overhyped, but enjoyable...
Fable 2 was a horrid affair in button-mashing and simplistic gameplay where even a toddler could win.
Then somehow, they made the game easier with Fable 3, everything that was wrong they made worse, everything that was working they removed, and they fixed shit that didn't need fixing...

Just put Molyneux back into the position he was in when the studios were making good games... because clearly he ain't fit for where he's at now...

And he won't be when he comes out with Fable 4, proclaiming the 3rd game was a horrible piece of poopoo, and Fable 4 is the second coming of Christ.

Then 5 comes out, with him calling Fable 4 the anti-christ, while 5 will be Charlie Sheen WINNING...

Agreed with the over-hyped part, but that's just Peter's wackiness. Every variation after lost chapters was streamlined and dumbed down to the point or retardation. Now it's so streamlined I can't open my menu.
Seriously, I wouldn't see streamlined as a bad word if it didn't always mean "turned into shit".

It's because they know PC gamers won't like it, and so they're hoping people will buy it on blind faith.

NELSON: Peter? We need to talk.
MOLYNEUX: Hey! How'd you enjoy the game demo?
NELSON: Well, yeah. That's what we need to talk about.
MOLYNEUX: Great, isn't it? People are going to love this!
NELSON: We can't release it.
MOLYNEUX: What? Why not?
NELSON: The game is shite. If people download the demo they're going to realize very quickly that all the fights feel the same, the human interaction makes less sense than it does in The Sims, the story is crap, and your 'moral choice' system is essentially just a rant against conservative politics.
MOLYNEUX: It is not shite.
NELSON: Peter, this demo is going to turn off more people to Fable III than it's going to attract. They're going to play it, think it's crap, and then we miss a sale.
MOLYNEUX: But its a good game. It's like Fable 2, but plus one! Haven't you ever played D&D? Going from 2 to 3 makes it 50% better!
NELSON: Look, we're just skipping on the demo. The game's still going to be released on the PC, we're just not putting out the demo for it.
MOLYNEUX: Alright... but promise I get to put a pet bird in Fable 4!

*sigh*

It's as if Microsoft is screaming into my ear "Please no, don't give us your money!"

I looked at it on Steam; I've never played a Fable game and thought this had a few bits that might appeal to me at least enough to give it a shot. Then I see it would clutter my machine with SecuROM and GFWL. Steam isn't enough that all that has to come too?

And now I don't even get a chance to try before I buy? This is idiotic, Microsoft. Truly idiotic.

Does any one really even give a shit about Fable III at this point?

If you played the first Fable then you know what to expect anyway. Same re-hashed shit. Might be worth $5 in a Steam sale. Not a penny more.

And they're charging $50 for a game that releases the same day as the Witcher 2, which is $45 on Steam right now? HA! Good luck with that. And by good luck, I mean you're going to be blown out of the water Microsuck.

Oh, I'm sure there will be plenty of copies of the 'demo' on the internet the same day that the full version is released.

I liked the first Fable, but I havr no interest in the third one, seeings as I'll have no opportunity to play the second one.

Title should read:
No Fable III PC Sales After All

No demo? Is Peter Molehoweveryouwritehisfuckingname afraid that it is going to be pirated to death?

TwitchyGamer101:

Hachura:

It's so obvious that they've abandoned PC gaming. Look at all the Xbox/Live improvements. Then look at our "Games For Windows Live"

It makes me sad. :c

GFWL makes me rage, not sad. Ever used their marketplace? Some games force install on the C drive, regardless of where you set it to install. Not only that, but they games download in the form of several small zip files, so the game downloads and installs, effectively taking up double the stated memory requirement.

OT: In case you didn't notice by the above, the fact that it's GFWL is what made it a no sale for me, that and Fable hasn't been good since the first one.

May 17th?

They would sell more copies if they released an empty box a week before The Witcher 2.

shadowform:
Your 'moral choice' system is essentially just a rant against conservative politics

Thank you, I thought I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

OT: Disappointing that they didn't put out a demo. I really liked Fable 2 and 3, and gave them both 2 play throughs.
Not a bad game in my mind, but I wouldn't pick it up at this point

Hmmm? Oh sorry, I'm listening for the delivery of The Witcher 2. Priorities.

Lack of demo leads to piracy, piracy leads to ludicrous, ineffective DRM, DRM leads to loss of sales on the PC, loss of sales leads to a perceived lack of audience, perceived lack of audience leads to half-hearted ports and canceled demos.

And so the cycle of PC development stupidity continues.

Witcher 2

'Nuff said.

Braedan:

This and only this is why i wanted a demo first.

All i hear about the game is with ever iteration it's gotten worse.

and that stupid sanctuary menu system just(well whoever came up with it should be publically executed) looks terrible

After hearing what people had to say about Fable III, I wouldn't be interested even if a demo did come out.

And after producing a terrible game, releasing the PC version several months after the Xbox version and not providing a demo, they are still going to end up crying about poor PC sales. Nevermind that those poor sales might actually be....you know, for legitimate reasons...

No demo? No purchase.

Simple as.

You know what's funny? I'm interested enough in Fable 3 to want to try it out, but not interested enough to pay money for the chance.

I felt the same way about Crysis, I got the demo for it and ended up buying it and it's sequel.

What was originally going to be demo'd? The game, or all the bugs in the game?

The lack of a demo isn't what's driving me away, it's that everything here's being set up for a disappointment. Disregarding that I've played, finished, and been disappointed by a rented console version in the time I was waiting to buy a PC version: a port should not take that long to make when full games have been rushed out faster. If it is, it should have significant improvements...with the delays, I was thinking something along the lines of the Lost Chapters, which is something that could really make the game worth playing, not a few new weapons. Upping the difficulty is a good start, but it doesn't change the abrupt and underwhelming ending like an expanded game would. It had so much potential, then wasted it away at the last moment...this is EXACTLY where an expansion is needed.

Paid DLC for trivial things that should be included anyway, like Black Dye (come one, that's bound to be the most used) is a sign of greed. The long production time with minimal additions is a sign of laziness. A lack of a demo is a sign of faithlessness. Overall, it looks like it's intended to trick people more than reward them. The only way this is worth buying to me is if it's on major discount or if the mod community really flourishes.

Qualifier: From what I've seen, the port does look well done. But the point remains that more is expected from this time-frame.

---

omicron1:
So. Microsoft: Make me want Fable 3 on PC. Just give me one good reason to get this

RPG instead of The Witcher 2.

Whoops. Too late. Already preordered one of the two. Guess which one! Guess who gets my fifty bucks today, and who gets ten bucks during the Steam winter sale! Go on... it's not hard...

So funny and true.

I have done the same and releasing a game without a demo for the PC gamers is really a bad way to go and to show us that they don't care about how many copies they will sell.

I want to give them a slight commendation on the fact that they had the "balls" to release this title on the same day that Witcher 2 is launching as well*clap...clap...clap*(glaDOS reference).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here