Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

A series of major reorganizations at Ubisoft has resulted in the cancellation of multiple products in development - but we don't know which ones.

The world of a major videogame publisher can be a tricky one, as you try to adapt to major new trends in the marketplace like mobile and social gaming. Sometimes, trying to meet those new demands means you need to sacrifice elsewhere.

In Ubisoft's annual financial report released today, the publisher noted precisely that: "Ubisoft has taken measures to adapt its structure to major changes in the industry by reorganising the roles and operations of its studios, which has resulted in the termination of certain projects."

No word on what games were canceled as of yet - it could be the long-languishing I Am Alive, it could be the similarly long-languishing Beyond Good and Evil 2, or perhaps some titles we haven't even heard of. A safe bet is that Assassins' Creed: Revelations is probably not on the chopping block, given the popularity of the franchise.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot also said that Ubisoft would be announcing a major PC-based title shortly. "In the coming days, we will officially announce an ambitious project on PC based on one of our top gamer franchises that will illustrate our capacity to take advantage of new business models," he announced.

New business models on PC and one of Ubisoft's top franchises? I think I hear the ka-ching of something like Assassin's Creed: Free-to-Play Online, but I could just be imagining it.

There will be a financial conference call with Guillemot and Ubisoft's top brass later today. Perhaps we'll learn more about the cancellations and this new PC title then.

(Eurogamer)

A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.

I Am Alive sounds almost certainly cancelled. >_> Haven't heard fuck-all about it. And a lot of natural disasters in the past year might make it's release seem...wrong...somehow.

And it the sales for BG&E HD were bad and it was used to test the waters...then BG&E2 could be cancelled, too. Depending on it's existing budget.

Someday, they're going to have to realize that their games still EXIST after release day, and that they need to provide something called "Support" for their games, which means if someone pays $50 for a brick, you need to DO something about it.

Until they do that, I ain't buying any of their PC games.

Seriously, what is this? First Capcom swears they are focusing more on the PC, and now Ubisoft? What's next? Squeenix will declare it's porting all the FF games to the PC?

I'm guessing they saw how much fun Microsoft was having declaring its upcoming PC gaming support and then just tossing out more 360 exclusives and screwing GFWL some more while laughing their arses off and decided they wanted in on the whole "Prank the PC gamers" joke.

All I can say to Ubisoft is what I said to Microsoft (and Capcom) - I'll belive it when I see it.

Does the mean the Ubisoft DRM is going to die too?

An Assassin's Creed MMO sounds quite good. I just wish they'd release AC3, rather than little updates to Ezio's story. I mean, come on! The guy's gonna be 50 in Revelations! I know he's a badass and all but that's still time to be thinking about taking all the money he's got from the shop renovation business and settle down somewhere!

they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east

I might genuinely cry if they end up cancelling Beyond Good & Evil 2 :(

Wait, all this news, are developers/publishers finally coming back to us?
Why can't it be good ones...

AC10:
Does the mean the Ubisoft DRM is going to die too?

It means the opposite: they don't like the idea of any game ever not including DRM.

JeanLuc761:
I might genuinely cry if they end up cancelling Beyond Good & Evil 2 :(

We all will.

:(

The story may not have actually been that good in hindsight. But the characters are great...and the gameplay was incredibly varied and satisfying. Even if each mechanic wasn't polished to a shine...

Onyx Oblivion:
I Am Alive sounds almost certainly cancelled. >_> Haven't heard fuck-all about it. And a lot of natural disasters in the past year might make it's release seem...wrong...somehow.

Oh the irony, I Am Alive is a dead project you say?

OT: This is good news that I approve of. Maybe now I won't need to wait for almost a year to get a PC version of the next Assassins Creed.

Rednog:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!

With "new business models" in that same sentence, I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. At all.

If it's going to have DRM I don't want it.

Worgen:
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east

Indeed.

Remove your always online DRM from your single player games (HINTFUCKINGHINT SETTLERS 7) and I'll listen Ubisoft

If they cancelled I Am Alive and/or Beyond Good and Evil 2 I will cry.

I Am Alive is my most anticipated game right behind Witcher 2. And behind that is Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Rednog:

This is the same company that gave PC gamers always-online DRM to play single player games. I wouldn't start getting too excited.

Weird, considering Ubisoft and PC gamers go together like... glass in your cereal?

Hopefully this new game wont be called
DRM: The DRMing

wait, should I be frightened or excited? are we talking genuine PC AAA title or farmville/wow attempt?

Irridium:
If they cancelled I Am Alive and/or Beyond Good and Evil 2 I will cry.

I Am Alive is my most anticipated game right behind Witcher 2. And behind that is Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Rednog:

This is the same company that gave PC gamers always-online DRM to play single player games. I wouldn't start getting too excited.

The post was made in jest, I know far too well from my copy of Splinter Cell Conviction.

I'll be genuinely annoyed if I Am Alive gets cancelled, since it's one of only a few games that I'm really looking forward to. That said, it's been a long time...

I dunno, they could just cancel some of the shovelware crap they seem to throw out with alarming regularity.

Worgen:

Don't worry they won't. Heroes 6 is coming in september I think. You can preorder it, so they certalnly won't cancel a 95% finished game, plus I would burn their HQ is they did :-)

Astalano:

Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.

RadiusXd:
wait, should I be frightened or excited? are we talking genuine PC AAA title or farmville/wow attempt?

Yeah that's kind of what I'm afraid of. Everyone's looking at how well farmville's doing, and I'm afraid they're all going to try that direction.

Ubisoft decides to take their company in the direction of computer gaming. In other news, Pfizer has decided to take their company in the direction of blood-letting with leeches.

Woodsey:

Rednog:

With "new business models" in that same sentence, I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. At all.

This.

That seems to be the new marketing jive for 'social game'.

zehydra:

Astalano:

Now, I understand UbiSoft has had notoriously bad DRM, but almost everybody has DRM in one way or another, and for good reason.

Yeah, a CD Key or a one-time activation or hell, even one activation per day, not a constant ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM. For good reason too? Don't make me laugh.

I seriously hope they haven't cancelled I Am Alive or BGE2... if they have then heads are going to roll.

Other then that, I should actually get around to playing Brotherhoods singlepayer sometime...

PC games? Ha, whatever. Only PC game they will consider doing is an MMO or most likely "AssassinVille" for Facebook.

zehydra:

Astalano:

Ubisoft went to a new level with their "Online Services Platform" DRM. For example, if I wanted to play Settlers 7 and my router hiccuped, my game would be interrupted by a circular-loading-type-animation until it reconnected to their servers. This LOVES to hang even when an internet connection has been re-established.

Server downtime? Looks like I can't play my single player game until they're finished with maintenance.

Traveling without a stable connection? Don't even think about playing.

Ubisoft has alienated a lot of gamers with this iteration of their DRM. But on the bright side, at least it doesn't abruptly close your game without saving anymore.

I would put my money on I Am Alive being cancelled. Their hasn't been anything about it for well over a year now, and what was shown didn't mound up to much. Which kinda proves that not much work was put into the game's development.

Though, Beyond good and evil 2 being canned seems a possibility, given the low reception of the first game.

What about future warfighter? one clip of gameplay and nothing but silence after that

tcurt:
PC games? Ha, whatever. Only PC game they will consider doing is an MMO or most likely "AssassinVille" for Facebook.

Yeah I wouldn't really worry too much about that. It already exists. It's called Assassin's Creed Project Legacy and it's actually pretty good, if you are interested in fleshing out the AC universe.

I'd love a free-to-play AC MMO, but how would that sort of thing work? Who knows?

This better not be some fucking casual game or MMO. -_-

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or