NBC Turns Down Wonder Woman Pilot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

NBC Turns Down Wonder Woman Pilot

Costume complaints and mixed reviews have apparently put paid to Wonder Woman's return to the screen.

After a hard run race, David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV show has sadly fallen at the last hurdle. TV network NBC - the only network that could have afforded to make the show, not to mention the only one that showed any interest - has decided not to pick it up.

Kelley's concept for the show was an updated version of the character with Friday Night Lights actress Adrianne Palicki in the lead role. This new Wonder Woman was a successful corporate executive by day, and a vigilante crime fighter by night. NBC hasn't officially said why it turned the show down, but sources suggest that the pilot received mixed reviews during test screenings. There is also the suggestion that the negative response to the costume, which originally included shiny blue spandex pants, played a part.

Obviously, this is bad news for the show, and while it doesn't mean that Wonder Woman definitely won't get her own TV show, it does make it a whole lot more unlikely. As the pilot hasn't aired, there's no way to tell if it really was only average, or if it was a misunderstood gem that just didn't resonate with a mainstream audience. In many ways, the former would be preferable, as it would mean that not seeing it wouldn't be so bad.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

I'm actually happy. The whole "Corporate executive by day and a vigilante crime fighter by night" concept can work for Batman, but not for a proud amazonian princess damnit!

can't say im all that disappointed. wonder woman felt out of place live action :(

Its says a lot if the picture used is a cartoon rendition :P

While I didn't like the idea of the show I would still like to have seen the pilot. Just to see how it was. Maybe they'll show it at some point.

Well, darn. After hearing all the hubbub about the costume, I was looking forward to seeing this.

*sigh* Would you like fries with that McFail?

If they'd just followed the canon instead of trying to make their own...

They should have kept the blue spandex pants?

Darn. I really wanted to see how this was gonna turn out.

No one is interested in following a fictional corporate executive. Corporate executives are the scum of the Earth and the vermin should be eradicated with the utmost prejudice.

The_root_of_all_evil:
If they'd just followed the canon instead of trying to make their own...

True.

I like the stories where she does not have a secret identity, the identity of a CEO (I don't remember having that as one) seems like it was added to make obvious and bad political arguments, as well as commentary about women in the corporate world.

Also knowing NBC It would have been nice for a season and a half then get confusing as it falls into the gutter, probably due to the CEO identity cancerously taking over the show.

EDIT: Also all the Wonder Women costume redesigns never looked right. The Blue spandex just looked half assed, the newer one made her look like a country singer.

Thank you GOD. Me and the comicbook fan community are rejoicing. This show was toxically bad.

CommanderKirov:
I'm actually happy. The whole "Corporate executive by day and a vigilante crime fighter by night" concept can work for Batman, but not for a proud amazonian princess damnit!

Didn't she work at a taco stand for an issue or two?

I know it probably wouldn't have been a Wonderfull show, but the cast and crew deserve a pilot at least for all their hard work.

Is anyone really surprised?
The whole thing reeked of mediocrity, especially when they focused so desperately on bringing out her chest.

Logan Westbrook:
has decided not to pick the it up.Permalink

"...has decided not to pick it up" is probably what you meant.

OT: I'm pretty neutral abut this news, I guess it's probably for the best as, they were trying to target the mainstream audience and apparently failed. They probably also would've alienated true fans in the process.

blue heartless:
They should have kept the blue spandex pants?

Right now it's more of a blue spandex thong.

They can't just put it out online? I think they'd easily find wider test audiences that way.

Trolldor:
Is anyone really surprised?
The whole thing reeked of mediocrity, especially when they focused so desperately on bringing out her chest.

And that stops shows from being made?

But yeah, meh, hard to care.

I'm a bit bummed out about this one, I am probably one of the few people that was looking forward to this show...

I wasn't expecting much, but c'mon the Cape got aired, this cant be any worse.

I never really got excited about this one, so... sucks to be them?

Not too surprising. NBC has had a string of terrible TV shows, so I imagine that they're being pretty darn picky about what they pay for.

Not at all surprised. Wonder Woman has never, EVER been good... why so many people still like her is beyond me.

To be perfectly honest, I saw this coming the minute the backlash to the costume started. If you can make people *that mad* over just a costume then you're clearly doing something wrong.

I mean it's not as if big budget movies like, say, Green Lantern for example ever do such a thing...

Other then arguing over just how grandma-underpants her uniform is supposed to be, I don't see why anyone still wants Wonder Woman around so badly.

This is proof that God exists and He is a kind and loving God; turning Wonder Woman into a lawyer with two other alter egos complaining about her breast size in a few places does not bring to mind the Amazonian super hero we were sold in the cartoons and comic. Done by the guy who was credited with "killing feminism" (seriously Time magazine his show Ally McBeal did just that), was enough for me to avoid this shit anyways

Oh come on they could at least aired the pliot episode just so we can see it for ourselves. I odn't care if they aired somewhere in the middle of the night.

Glad this didn't go through, I'm not much of a fan of Wonder Woman, but I know a bit bout canon on her. They shoulda followed it any maybe it woulda gone through?
And what was all the arguments on the costume?
Guess I missed all that.

Oh well. I wasn't interested in the pilot anyway.

What a twist. Who didn't see this coming?

I just want it to leak online so we can have a laugh at it, it sounded like a train wreck.

I'm gonna point out that pretty much any live action show about superheroes EVER (except that one... you know the one) was really really stupid or crappy for various reasons. I imagine this was no better.

Give Wonder Woman to Marvel, and I'll be you anything they'll be more respectful to the source material and the character than DC, let alone NBC.

Frankly I am not surprised, it didn't look that good to begin with from the various little clips and behind the scenes stuff.

Superhero shows don't really work except as cartoons.

*Edited* Ooops double post.

What I meant to say was...time to take it to the SyFy Channel...they'll air produce anything!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here