Ubisoft Applying Assassin's Creed Dev Model to Other Titles

Ubisoft Applying Assassin's Creed Dev Model to Other Titles

Ubisoft has been delivering a quality Assassin's Creed game on a yearly basis, and hopes to do the same with other franchises.

If the newly announced Assassin's Creed: Revelations makes it onto shelves by the end of 2011, it'd mark the third year in a row that Ubisoft has released a main entry in the series. Counting off-shoots, the publisher has been releasing Assassin's Creed titles on a yearly basis since the original Assassin's Creed in 2007. According to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, the success of this model is driving the company to apply it to other franchises.

On Ubisoft's recent financial conference call (via Giant Bomb), Guillemot said: "What is impressive with the release year after year of Assassin's Creed is our ability to deliver every time with a high level of innovation and creativity in a large and very diverse open world. There is no other open world console game that is coming on a yearly basis. This is achieved through great execution by providing more resources and by putting in place a very compelling network of leads and associate studios."

"We are applying the very [same] product template to our other strong franchises to bring them back to Assassin's Creed blockbuster profitable status," he added. Guillemot previously stated that Ubisoft was working on becoming the world's #1 videogame publisher, which would require adding a few billion dollars to its yearly revenue, and this could be one method to help with that.

Forcing franchises out of the door on a yearly basis isn't typically a good thing, but with Assassin's Creed Ubisoft has proven that it can do so while leaving quality intact (assuming Revelations isn't a stinker). The publisher has many big-name series it could be referring to for this model, including Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and Driver. The key would be keeping these franchises in gamers' good graces rather than beating them into the ground.

Source: Giant Bomb

Hey, if the games are as good as Brotherhood, I see that as a good thing.

As long as they keep getting better.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Rainbow six game sometime soon.

This would be exiting news, but is it just me or am I the only one somewhat underwhelmed with their other big name titles?
With the exception of maybe Far Cry, the recent entries in many of those titles haven't been horrible but they haven't been anything to phone home about.

ZeroMachine:

I think Ubisoft has earned some Creedence on that.

Sorry but AC:B was classical but wasn't enough for me when I came from a mind blowing AC2. Ezio was totally uninteresting for the most part in AC:B compared to his growth/phases in AC2.

BUT I do see how excellent the game and quality + quantity of the game was. Not even factoring in the unique and highly addictive Multiplayer portion. I personally got to Level 43 before I got bored but I credit them for their massive devotion to it.

Free DLC + new game modes = Step in the right direction.

Keep it up, Ubisoft!

The games just keep getting better, so I won't complain.

"Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and Driver" too bad that i don`t care about any of those titles, well maybe a good stealth shooter would be a nice change of pace for me.

Assassins Creed probably has to be the best single player game on the market for me at the moment. They have brilliant, original and intuitive gameplay and interesting storylines and characters.

Also, stabbing people in the throat just never gets old. Ever.

That could be detrimental. If all they're doing is selling a slightly different version each time, it could get a little boring, but hey, it works for EA Sports.

HankMan:

ZeroMachine:

Indeed.

And you know, I just realized, it's kind of funny... how many games has Assassin's creed had in about four years? Counting spin offs... nine. And I've rarely heard people of claiming they're "milking it".

Yet, Halo, six games over ten years, is accused of it with every title after 3 O_o and they aren't the only series.

Does this say something good about AC/Ubisoft or something bad about people?

Anyone remember back when someone from Ubisoft had said they planned to lengthen the dev time on AC titles to not only improve things, but to ensure the series long term success? They gave some reason about how making people wait a reasonable amount of time between releases would build anticipation and hype?

Nice to see they gave up on that and went all Activision/COD style.....

ZeroMachine:

HankMan:

ZeroMachine:

Indeed.

And you know, I just realized, it's kind of funny... how many games has Assassin's creed had in about four years? Counting spin offs... nine. And I've rarely heard people of claiming they're "milking it".

Yet, Halo, six games over ten years, is accused of it with every title after 3 O_o and they aren't the only series.

Does this say something good about AC/Ubisoft or something bad about people?

I do not complain about Halo personally, however people complain about things like COD because the games are too samey to each other and don't have enough improvements to call it a sequel, AC on the other hand has undeniable improvements in every entry.

Hell yeah, gimme a new Splinter Cell soon please!

Thanks Ubi.

They're pushing out Assassin's Creed games like hotcakes and nobody's complaining.

So long as they can keep the quality of Brotherhood I'll have absolutely no problem, but I expect the next big game to have a nice long development time and to be fucking massive.

elementsoul:

I would much much rather see another Rainbow Six. Honestly I think the story of Assassins Creed has just completely de-railed.

They only managed it with Assassin's Creed because they refused to change anything game to game. It looked like they were just reusing a lot of the same game and now isn't the new one going to be the same style settings and same characters as the past game again? The fun of this series was supposed to be the changing time periods :(

ZeroMachine:

My thought exactly, if they can make a yearly release, and not go down the COD path of making the same damn game with little to no changes, Im not going to complain.

I'm going to reserve judgement until Revelations comes out. I am mostly impressed with what Brotherhood pulled off: huge new city, new combat options, great multiplayer, interesting new ways of advancing the plot, made Desmond almost likeable, and no glaring bugs or obvious drop-offs in quality. My only quibbles were the rebuilding--like Yahtzee said, money becomes essentially useless fairly quickly--and the levelling up of your assassins by sending them on missions, which played like glorified Facebook game.

But while I really love Ezio as a character, he's on the verge of wearing out his welcome. I don't see what more can be added to his arc that won't diminish his character. At least we'll get to play Altair again--hopefully he gets to take advantage of the improved combat mechanics and be properly badass.

As far as i know, none of the other franchises have the versatility (story wise) as assassins creed. So i would expect there to be more prequels, sequels and spinoffs rather than one continuing story arc.

Like a prequel to splinter cell...when Sam was in his old fighting days.

Oh dear. Will it go the way of Guitar Hero? Lets wait and see.

AC has been pretty quality so far, but when year after year you have a _very_ samey game coming out due to lack of time to develop something new and different, people start to notice. Of course, people just might not care, as evidenced with CoD's success.

Slight OT, but I'm always curious when I see news stories like this:
So these companies just let game journalists sit in on their internal finance conference calls? That seem a little odd to anyone else?
Like are they doing mock calls which are just dressed-up press releases for the benefit of journalists, and then later doing the real ones?

captcha: tititage Atzerodt

mmm tititage

Yeah, Assassin's Creed keeps getting better and they release it every year. But they fucked up Splinter Cell and they take their sweet time with that franchise. But I don't care. As long as they don't fuck up Assassin's Creed I'll be happy. And as long as they keep that ridiculous DRM away from their games.

Can't say I'm happy. Brotherhood was pretty buggy for me. Not exactly that bad, but the yearly release was showing on the game. Especially when I figured out all the puzzles, got out of the Animus, and Desmod was clipped inside of it while he was standing.

My brother, and friend were able to replicate this bug. Apparently you just need to slightly tap anything on the controller, and Desmond will spazz out in that scene.

I don't really mind if they oversaturate the market with more crappy samey third-person-shootery Splinter Cell action; I just don't care anymore. If they do though, it means they'll have more opportunities to remember what made Splinter Cell good in the first place (ie. stealth) and focus on that instead, so I'm all for annual iterations.

it could end badly but games are at a point where using exisitng engines and graphics arent such a bad thing still wont be easy on the wallet. since they can make more from a single game engine will we see reduced game prices now? ... unlikely. I expect this to feed the used game market.

Have you guys considered that you can only do this for AC BECAUSE you barely have any other game coming out? I mean what Console game did they drop aside from ACB last year? Splinter Cell. That game was "decent" at best imo. I wouldn't want to play it every year and I certainly wouldn't want it ruining Assassin's creed before it even Peaked!

Keep doing it with AC because that game has a ton of POTENTIAL (different time periods, different settings.etc.) DO NOT do it for SC (ONE character; so far) or Far Cry (the 2nd stunk anyway).

HankMan:

ZeroMachine:

You forgot these

Oh hello Creed of duty! I did not see you there!

How come Guillemot is talking like the AC series has been doing yearly updates forever? They have only releases one game that was one year before the other. I wouldn't call that "year after year" or a "yearly basis", what's he going on about?

Also, I don't care how many studios you have working on the game, yearly sequels are a bad idea! I think the AC series is starting to show signs of stagnation. They've been using the same graphics and physics since the series started. The game is starting to show it's age. I was a bit disappointed to see that the next game will be using the same engines AGAIN and that Ezio is the main character again too. I love the series and Ezio is a cool character but it's time to move on. I kind of get the feeling that they haven't built a whole new game because of this yearly basis plan...

I hope so much that AC3 really mixes things up.

elementsoul:

I would love to see a Vegas 3 (Maybe i'm just a masochist though) lol.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here