Dyack: Fart App Flood "Disrupting" Entire Videogame Industry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dyack: Fart App Flood "Disrupting" Entire Videogame Industry

Denis Dyack believes that the iOS App Store and its overabundance of cheaply priced replicas are bringing the videogame industry down.

Nintendo has taken a certain amount of heat due to its official stance that cheap games like those found on the iOS App Store are devaluing the videogame industry as a whole. Sticking up for Nintendo's view is Silicon Knights' Denis Dyack, who believes that the flood of more useless apps than anyone could ever consume is the main issue.

"As an example, my understanding is that there are 17,000 fart apps right now," Dyack told Industry Gamers. "Those are more fart apps than anyone could possibly ever consume. What that does, when you start having performance oversupply, it accelerates the commoditization that drives the value of games down."

Dyack goes on to note an EEDAR study that put the average gross for an iOS game at $700. "I can guarantee you that a company like ours and most people cannot survive on a $700 gross," he adds. "So what's happening is you have a lot of people going into this hoping that they're going to get this smash hit like Angry Birds and you have a lot of investment in this industry and it's not clear if that's a viable industry."

Dyack says that the app market "seems to be eroding the handheld market," where there are actually a good number of quality games. "I'm not saying there aren't quality games on the iOS," he continues. "Because there are; there are some good games there, but there's so much performance oversupply and so much commoditization, that it actually is affecting, in my opinion, the industry in a very negative way."

He agrees with Nintendo that the industry has to be careful with apps due to the "dramatic disruption" they're already having. Dyack previously made similar comments on social gaming, also questioning its viability as a profitable business in the long run. I guess this means we won't be seeing Too HumanVille or an X-Men Destiny fart app anytime soon... *sigh*.

Source: IndustryGamers

Analogy to 1982 gaming market in 3,2,1...

Well ain't that a stinker!

It's such a shame that anything this man says is immediately tossed aside when one remembers that he was involved in making a ten year in production that turned out to be worth less than a fart app.

Wasn't Angry Birds itself a knock off? You could find free launcher/knock-down flash games all over the internet before it showed up. I've never played AB so maybe it added something new I'm unaware of.

Hungry Donner:
Wasn't Angry Birds itself a knock off? You could find free launcher/knock-down flash games all over the internet before it showed up. I've never played AB so maybe it added something new I'm unaware of.

Yeah, it added the aspect of not being able to friggin' see what you're aiming at. How the game ever got so popular is beyond me--I played the free demo for two minutes and got fed up with it.

17k fart apps? words fail me...

I mean i know a lot of us gamers are childish but still, 17000? why, just why?

On a more serious note, if profits for apps are so low that's a bad thing, i've seen some really revolutionary games in the Android Market and i don't want to see that end.

when i read the title i thought it meant loads of people in the video game industry had downloaded a fart app and "disrupting" the game development process by making fart noises all day

17,000 fart apps? Is like people who make these believe that they are the first ones to come up with it. Reminds me of that one stupid developer that keeps making shitloads of that "Talking _____ the talking_____" apps.

Makes me wish the App Store had a strict set of rules to reduce cheap knockoffs.

You know what else is disrupting the video game industry? Crappy vaporware titles. Just sayin'.

When he mentions most apps only making $700 - what I'd really like to know is whether we're talking about those made by real software studios, or are the overwhelmingly made by some dude in his spare time? Because there's a big difference there - I mean obviously a serious game studio isn't going to be able to survive on a $700 gross - I mean that's obviously not enough to run a studio on, but if you're just making silly games in your free time, then you really don't have to worry about how much you're spending making the game because that amount is essentially $0.

Also I get the feeling that most apps make their money on adds. Still he raises a decent argument, I'm just not sure I buy it. Especially coming from someone whose business strategy seems to be "Make a Too Human sequel instead of an Eternal Darkness sequel" and suing Epic because they apparently couldn't get the Unreal engine to work for them despite the fact that no one else seems to be complaining.

Quellist:

On a more serious note, if profits for apps are so low that's a bad thing, i've seen some really revolutionary games in the Android Market and i don't want to see that end.

The average profits for apps are so low because there are things like 17000 fart apps. Good apps are actually far more profitable then this guy thinks. Since there is basically no restriction on what you can put on the app store, there is obviously going to be an extremely large number of rather useless stupid apps that bring down the average sales of all the others.

HankMan:
Well ain't that a stinker!

Lol. I love reading your puns.

OT: This... kinda pisses me off. I really dislike the 'little games and programs I don't like make my art look bad, maaaan' attitude. WHo cares if someone wants to make a fart app and it sells well. I'll bet low budget adult features sell better than any video game his ever made.

/rage

The cream rises to the top DD. If you can't compete with fart apps then maybe you are in the wrong business. The best games will have word of mouth promotion and will be searched for directly instead lost in a directory sea.

It is funny. When I look back at the app stores I basically see flash games for the last ten years.

There have been millions. Way more than 17,000 fart flash games I am sure. What is my point I hear you say? Well now people are making money of this crap.

What a killjoy. Fart-apps are the opiate of the people.

But yeah, this is a supply & demand thing. Which makes me wonder how people who are amused by flatulence to such a degree can afford, let alone operate, a smartphone.

buy teh haloz:
It's such a shame that anything this man says is immediately tossed aside when one remembers that he was involved in making a ten year in production that turned out to be worth less than a fart app.

Yeah, I have to be honest, my mind instantly went into "he's talking about crappy games?!" mode as soon as I read the part where he's from Silicon Knights.

Although he is right, so I can't be too harsh. It's like the Xbox Live Indie Marketplace: I never bother going in there to try and find the good games because so many of them are awful fart, "the controller is now a massager", or other crappy titles that it's not worth sifting through. I've heard a lot of other people say the same thing, so on some level, all the crappy games are hurting the good games. I don't know on how large a scale, but it's there.

Yeah. I've seen the end of the ios store coming for ages now. Mostly because of the hundreds of clone games without any real quality in them.

17 THOUSAND fart apps. What the...

According to Asymco Apple has paid out over 2 billion dollars to app developers. Seems like this is where good money can be made. Some of that 2 billion goes to games devs. Perhaps this will help drag game developers down from the 50-70 dollar price gouging for some of crappy AAA games these days. Any time game studio developer (like this guy) bitches about affordable games/apps with a complaint of "poor quality" it smacks of crocodile tears.

link to Asymco article:
http://www.asymco.com/2011/01/17/itunes-has-paid-over-2-billion-to-app-developers-and-12-billion-to-record-labels/

MaxPowers666:

Quellist:

The average profits for apps are so low because there are things like 17000 fart apps. Good apps are actually far more profitable then this guy thinks. Since there is basically no restriction on what you can put on the app store, there is obviously going to be an extremely large number of rather useless stupid apps that bring down the average sales of all the others.

Heh, good point, i should have thought of that. I feel a little better about the future of gaming apps on my phone now :)

What.What.What.What.What.What.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!?

*Breaks down crying, and crawls into a corner.*

Tom Goldman:
"As an example, my understanding is that there are 17,000 fart apps right now," Dyack told Industry Gamers. "Those are more fart apps than anyone could possibly ever consume. What that does, when you start having performance oversupply, it accelerates the commoditization that drives the value of games down."

You know the value of something isn't only based on supply but also demand, and nobody is demanding these fart apps that are probably made by someone with a spare time or by a small time game dev to pad out their catalog
the point is nobody are buying these fart apps and the good games on the app store will rise above just because they're better than other apps
and also the games that are eroding other game markets are good games (like #sworcery) not these fart apps
good games will always overshadows bad games (too human) cause that's just what the customers wants on any platform or even between platforms

Armored Prayer:
17,000 fart apps? Is like people who make these believe that they are the first ones to come up with it. Reminds me of that one stupid developer that keeps making shitloads of that "Talking _____ the talking_____" apps.

Makes me wish the App Store had a strict set of rules to reduce cheap knockoffs.

well then there'd be only about one or two things in the app store wouldn't there?

anyways:
the fact that there are THAT many freaking fart apps says one thing. the fact that they disrupt sales of things you SHOULD be spending your money on is an entirely different matter.

Short version?
Yahtzee's right.

Dyack is misinformed. There are 17,000 total apps in the App Store. A quick search for "fart" in said store brings up about 900 hits, which is a pretty significant chunk of the total count but nowhere near what he seems to think it is.

And the saddest part is that all 17, 000 of those fart apps are more entertaining than Too Human.

Dyack has been mouthing off a lot lately...

This is to be expected with every new craze. Right now apps are the new craze and people all around are trying to cash in. I don't see it hurting videogames as much as it will turn around and hurt the app industry. Think about when consoles first really hit their stride, and companies came up to make games to cash in on that. What happened? It busted and we had quite the drought until the NES came out and hit its stride.
Then there is the dotcom craze. People saw the chance to make millions selling whoknowswhat online. What happened? It crashed and people ended up owing millions. But now it seems pretty stable with sites that stayed above the waterline.
Same thing is going to happen with the app craze. I give it another year or two before it crashes. When the smoke clears, it will be a much more stable marketplace where videogames can survive and even grow alongside.
But for right now, I ain't touching a smartphone with a ten foot pole.

Shamanic Rhythm:
And the saddest part is that all 17, 000 of those fart apps are more entertaining than Too Human.

Dyack has been mouthing off a lot lately...

Ouch. I think you got some blood on you with that bit. Need a towel?

Its the same extreme case of shovel ware that brought down the market and the Atari 2600.

buy teh haloz:

exactly, and i dont see fart apps as 'games' i see them as toys. there isnt really any 'game' part to them.

LeeshaJoy:
Dyack is misinformed. There are 17,000 total apps in the App Store. A quick search for "fart" in said store brings up about 900 hits, which is a pretty significant chunk of the total count but nowhere near what he seems to think it is.

There's actually closer to 300,000 aps in the app store. Theres about 30,000 alone just for the iPad, even android market is only about 100k behind apple.

What can I say? People think it's gas. They hear a fart and they go "Whooppee!"

Do crappy low budget B movies detract from the Oscars each year? Does the existence of Bieber mean music is no longer art? Does the popularity of Harry Potter mean Terry Pratchett should have quit?

(Yes, I'm still a little pissed that Rowling got hundreds of millions in movie budgets for her generic 'teen wizard done a sparkly thing' stories, while the Discworld has to grovel to Sky for a few lousy million. There again, it's harder to sell complex layered storylines with deep social comment and satire to movie funders, they like cute kids and sparkly trails in the sky).

Sure there's a heap of old crap out there, but it makes the gems glimmer all the brighter when you unearth one, however, yes, Apply could spend a few bucks from their billions on hiring some kid to check if the new apps being presented to the store just go 'prrrrrp' and ask $3 for the privilege.

There again, the 'I'm rich' app sold a few too, and that was $1000 for a picture of a diamond and the words 'I'm rich' on the screen. (Looked it up, he sold 8 copies, but 2 were 'mistakes' and he refunded their money, so it seems he's a fairly honourable guy who just saw a way to sell a really dumb overpriced status symbol to rich people, and isn't that wht fast cars, expensive jewellery and the like are too?

In the end, I guess crap serves a purpose in making the good stuff look better, but some kind of quality control makes the owner of the store look better, take a look in a LIDL, then go to Marks n Spencer, there's some great stuff dirt cheap in LIDL if you're willing to look, but M&S is pretty much guaranteed levels of quality, for a price.

So let me get this straight....Pirating was the reason. Then i twas used games. Then the Facebook things like Farmville were ruining it and now Apps.....I have a feeling this is like a parent blaming Music for why their kid went on a shooting spree. Make better games and i'm sure you'll be fine lol.

He sounds right on paper, but in practice i'm not seeing it.As long as his games are actually better than the crap shovelware over there, there shouldn't be a problem. I mean, does the existance of cheap frozen chicken somehow devalue fillet mignon? Bit of a strawman, but it's effectively the same thing.

Just sounds like he's bitching that Nintendo can't make $ off their own shovelware anymore.

Whenever I hear "X is ruining the Y industry" I wonder why.

It has always been my view that if you cannot compete in a fair and free market, then perhaps you are in the wrong industry.

When I heard Nintendo complaining I thought "Wow, now with competition, they realize that a lot of the DS games wouldn't go for more than $4 on the app store. Rather than get on the business and make money, they want to bitch about it".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here