Mass Effect 2 Cleans Up at Canadian Videogame Awards

Mass Effect 2 Cleans Up at Canadian Videogame Awards

Mass Effect 2 was the big winner at the 2011 Canadian Videogame Awards, taking home Game of the Year honors and three other wins.

You all know that Mass Effect is made by BioWare and you all know that BioWare is based out of Edmonton, or at the very least that it's located somewhere up there in Canada. You may also know the videogame industry is a booming business in Canada, the third largest in the world, in fact, behind only the U.S. and Japan. What you may not know is that Canada also has its very own videogame awards ceremony, celebrating the very best of the Canadian game industry, but it does, but it does and last night everyone got together to hand out the hardware.

Mass Effect 2 went home with the big trophy, selected by the public as Game of the Year, and also got the nod for Best Console Game, Best Game Design and Best Writing. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, developed by Ubisoft Montreal, took two prizes for Best Audio and Best Visual Arts, while Hothead Games took the Best Downloadable Game title with Deathspank.

"The work on display at the ceremony tonight was world-class and illustrated once again that Canadian game developers are second to none when it comes to creating interactive entertainment!" said Canadian Videogame Awards host and co-founder Victor Lucas.

The winners list, in full:

• Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2 (Bioware/Electronic Arts)
  • Best Console Game: Mass Effect 2 (Bioware/Electronic Arts)
  • Best Game on the Go: Osmos for iPad (Hemisphere Games)
  • Best Downloadable Game: Deathspank (Hothead Games/Electronic Arts)
  • Best Audio: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft Montreal)
  • Best Social/Casual Game: Pocket God on Facebook (Frima Studio/Bolt Creative)
  • Best Game Design: Mass Effect 2 (Bioware/Electronic Arts)
  • Best Technology: Kinect for XBOX 360 (Big Park Game Studio/Microsoft)
  • Best Visual Arts: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft Montreal)
  • Best Writing: Mass Effect 2 (Bioware/Electronic Arts)
  • Best Student Game: WOMP! (XnEh?/Centre for Digital Media)
  • Innovation Award: ModNation Racers (United Front Games/Sony Computer Entertainment)

The Best Student Game and Innovation Award were new categories for 2011, but oddly there was no separate category for PC games. The CVGA explained on Twitter that it was "super-tough" for its advisory board to select the categories but said the PC would "hopefully" make a return next year.

Source: Yahoo! Finance

Pff AC:B should have won not ME2. Ah well.

I'm commander Shepard and this is my favorite news article on the escapist

HankMan:

What he said.

HankMan:

Think this pretty much sums things up.

I dunno about writing, New Vegas seems better in that regard, imo. It's just that the Gamebryo engine naturally hamper delivery.

And maybe Alan Wake...

Except Bethesda is an America-based company, and this for an award for Canadian-based games.

Bah, This entire list looks boring to me. Only two big name games, one big name newcomer, and a bunch of indies. Needs more variety.

Still congrats to all the winners.

Edit: Oh wait, its for developers located in Canada. OK now I get it.

Armored Prayer:
Bah, This entire list looks boring to me. Only two big name games, one big name newcomer, and a bunch of indies. Needs more variety.

As stated above you, this is only a pool of Canadian made games... and Kinect for some reason. It stands to reason that there will be only 2 big name games with only 2 big name publishers in the country. EA and Ubisoft have a huge advantage by having big budgets behind them.

Considering the small number of awards and the competition from those 2 big games, I'd say the variety is pleasantly wide. And these are just the winners, not the nominations.

Of course there's tonnes of other great stuff coming out of Canada, but only so much comes out in any given year.

EDIT: Bah! Retconned. Well, you get the idea anyway :)

Big surprise there :) Amnesia was my GOTY for 2010, however ME2 was close behind. Hopefully this success will spur Bioware to greater heights with ME3.

BioWare's weakest game is BioWare's greatest success. Excellent.

I like that Osmos is getting recognition, since the game is amazing. I played it on the PC, so not really "on the go", and either way it is beautifully rendered and quite the interesting challenge.

Onyx Oblivion:
I dunno about writing, New Vegas seems better in that regard, imo. It's just that the Gamebryo engine naturally hamper delivery.

And maybe Alan Wake...

This is for Canadian companies only. Bethesda is American, I think.

OT: Kinda late on the GOTY train isn't it. I mean, June is just around the corner. Or does Canada work on some special "slow time". That explains why Bioware games are ALWAYS delayed, I suppose.

CosmicCommander:
BioWare's weakest game is BioWare's greatest success. Excellent.

I believe you are mistaken. In your opinion maybe that is their weakest game.

But just a quick look at Wikipedia says your opinion is not shared by the majority. The game holds a 95% average rating on all platforms, and you know what it means? That there are more 100% and 10/10 and 5/5 and A's than there are 90%, 9/10 and B+'s.

That's probably one of their BEST games.

Dragon Age II is probably their worst PC/console game to day. And by "the worst" I mean only 80% average. Because Mass Effect Galaxies is still worse.

Also: DEATHSPAAANK WOOOOOO DEAAATHSPAAAAANK

WHY WHY WHY This game was awful

Abedeus:
I believe you are mistaken. In your opinion maybe that is their weakest game.

Is it bad that I note a contradiction there?

But just a quick look at Wikipedia says your opinion is not shared by the majority. The game holds a 95% average rating on all platforms, and you know what it means? That there are more 100% and 10/10 and 5/5 and A's than there are 90%, 9/10 and B+'s.

Once more we fall into the trap of considering Game Reviewers to be a majority, and taking numerical scores for objective fact. You do realise how many reviewers are on the payrolls of major publishers like EA? And how little a chance most of them had to make a completely objective, in-depth assessment of it?

And in the end, remember those immortal words- "What is popular is not always good."

That's probably one of their BEST games.

I love it when people condense entertainment and art into numbers, and use said numbers to disregard other opinions.

In my eyes, the plot was weak, filled with holes, and buffed out by character missions that had no relevance to the plot. Shepherd never developed at all as a character, there was no opportunity for Role-Play, and the antagonistic force was contrived. I'd also take issue with the themes and allies being both shallow and disregarding the depth and ideas of the first game.

Dragon Age II is probably their worst PC/console game to day. And by "the worst" I mean only 80% average.

The only valid judgement is one's own, not refurbished opinions that have been rehashed and averaged up by Metacritic.

Because Mass Effect Galaxies is still worse.

Because it's numbers were lower? Darn.

Hmm, some people seem upset by this news.

anywho, yay, I suppose. Seems to have taken them a while, it is May after all, but hey, maybe they were just busy....doing Canadian stuff. Like playing hockey, making maple syrup, and giving birth to Nathan Fillion. All worthwhile activities.

HankMan:

Enough said.

I agree with the Best Game awards but I'm undecided on the Best Writing one. Character writing was top-notch, the story itself was the bad standard video game affair.

Abedeus:
Because Mass Effect Galaxies is still worse.

I can't find it now, but I know I read some article when Galaxy came out saying that Bioware was not directly involved in developing it, but that the EA mobile team was. Either way you slice it, though, yes, by far the worst game with their name on it that I've ever seen. Story was still good, though.

CosmicCommander:
In my eyes, the plot was weak, filled with holes, and buffed out by character missions that had no relevance to the plot. Shepherd never developed at all as a character, there was no opportunity for Role-Play, and the antagonistic force was contrived. I'd also take issue with the themes and allies being both shallow and disregarding the depth and ideas of the first game.

Curse us and crush us! Not this argument again. Pleeaaaaase, not this argument again. People love it, people hate it. People love it, people hate it. I'm meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllting!!!

Avatar. Terrible film. Absolutely horrendous... made a bajillion and a half dollars. But you'll notice it wasn't voted for Best Writing by anybody. There's a reason for that.

Scores aside, ME wouldn't be nominated for the awards it has with nothing but payoffs. With few exceptions, awards don't work like that. Mostly because it would be abundantly clear they were being paid off when Superman 64 or Kane & Lynch won GotY.

So what does this mean in the big picture either way? Absolutely friggin nothing. You hate it, someone else loves it. I shake my fist in rage and ask WHOooooo CARES?

At the end of the day, the writing in ME2 - as far as we can tell by reviews/#'s - is considered to be exceptional more than terrible. You can disagree with the assessment, it's certainly your right, but it's also fair for anyone else to use those numbers and point out that it's a mostly beloved game.

The alternative is all critiques of poorly reviewed games go out the window. Sales and scores are the #1 thing most haters mention when a bad game comes up. DA2 can no longer be called terrible because of a lower metacritic rating. Final Fantasy XIII can now be called a brilliant game, even if everyone who reviewed it tossed its corpse into a shallow grave! If we can use low scores and metacritic ratings as a means of saying one game sucks, it has to go the other way to show the love.

You were NOT given cake for the purpose of eating it, you foooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

CosmicCommander:
You do realize how many reviewers are on the payrolls of major publishers like EA? And how little a chance most of them had to make a completely objective, in-depth assessment of it?

Someone's a bit paranoid. Really dude? Really?

Eri:

CosmicCommander:
You do realize how many reviewers are on the payrolls of major publishers like EA? And how little a chance most of them had to make a completely objective, in-depth assessment of it?

I wouldn't say so. The industry itself is very tightly-knit and well connected- a lot of people know certain people. I'm not saying all of them, but many of the larger reviewing publications have plenty of incentives to do what a publisher wants.

The.Bard:
-Snip-

Alright. That whole post was a disjointed mess of non sequitur, unrelated points, irrelevant to what you quoted or what I said. Just saying.

Eri:

CosmicCommander:

My brother worked in the industry for a few years and he said that there's more of this sort of stuff going on than anyone would like to admit. It's not rampant, but it's certainly there.

Well deserved if you ask me.

CosmicCommander:
Alright. That whole post was a disjointed mess of non sequitur, unrelated points, irrelevant to what you quoted or what I said. Just saying.

Sorry, I forgot to go back & quote every last line from your original comment. But go ahead and be a jerk about it. No, really.

I love it when people condense entertainment and art into numbers, and use said numbers to disregard other opinions.

Once more we fall into the trap of considering Game Reviewers to be a majority, and taking numerical scores for objective fact. You do realise how many reviewers are on the payrolls of major publishers like EA? And how little a chance most of them had to make a completely objective, in-depth assessment of it?

And in the end, remember those immortal words- "What is popular is not always good."

Being illiterate and all, I may be way off here, but I think you're saying popular things are not necessarily good. You then implied that Mass Effect was winning praise because reviewers are on EA's payroll.

All of which my post addressed, although I am remiss in that I only quoted you complaining about the writing. For which I dutifully bend over and apologize.

The.Bard:

Sorry, I forgot to go back & quote every last line from your original comment. But go ahead and be a jerk about it. No, really.

I'm sorry, but that is your folly. It's not my job to rectify and forgive your errors- when in a discussion, it is one's priority to do otherwise- in my eyes, the whole thing seemed confusing and disjointed. Thank you for rectifying it, albeit angrily.

but I think you're saying popular things are not necessarily good.

Bingo.

You then implied that Mass Effect was winning praise because reviewers are on EA's payroll.

I believe that many reviewers do change their "opinions" with certain incentives from publishers. Actually, it's pretty much an established thing in the industry.

CosmicCommander:
I'm sorry, but that is your folly. It's not my job to rectify and forgive your errors- when in a discussion, it is one's priority to do otherwise- in my eyes, the whole thing seemed confusing and disjointed. Thank you for rectifying it, albeit angrily.

Sorry, that's just my comedy noir poking through. Wasn't angry, just felt if you took a few seconds you'd realize what I was replying to. No worries, mate.

I believe that many reviewers do change their "opinions" with certain incentives from publishers. Actually, it's pretty much an established thing in the industry.

I'm not so foolish to think that a few of them here and there can't be incentivized. But I still don't think it's something you could fudge with awards. Once it becomes obvious you're pandering to a certain game company, the award loses all credibility.

Cheers!

Keith K:

Armored Prayer:

As stated above you, this is only a pool of Canadian made games... and Kinect for some reason. It stands to reason that there will be only 2 big name games with only 2 big name publishers in the country. EA and Ubisoft have a huge advantage by having big budgets behind them.

Considering the small number of awards and the competition from those 2 big games, I'd say the variety is pleasantly wide. And these are just the winners, not the nominations.

Of course there's tonnes of other great stuff coming out of Canada, but only so much comes out in any given year.

EDIT: Bah! Retconned. Well, you get the idea anyway :)

Kinect is Canadian.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/06/04/the-game-guru/comment-page-1/

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or