Hideo Kojima Tells Square-Enix to Remake FF7

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dora:

OutrageousEmu:

Oh, what now to insist this doesn't ;prove new franchises aren't the solution, are you going to insist that The Last Remnant is really just a sequel to a game from the MX2?

Nope. I never played that. I'm not saying making an original game will unleash a splooge of amazingness. I'm just saying remakes aren't the solution. They're cheap cashgrabs. A lot of companies drop a lot of stinkers on original titles, but that doesn't mean they should give up, go back and rehash older stuff.

Exactly. Remakes are admitting that you have no ideas, particularly when that remake doesn't actually add a whole lot of anything.

SC2 was a in practical terms a remake of SC (so similar that it makes no odds), but they added plenty of new units and mechanics and had its own story, and so its a great 'new' game.

If you just change the graphics, then its just meh. I bet ya that if they added or changed anything in an FF7 remake, or if they made a direct sequel, people would HATE them for breaking it. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and thats why they shouldn't do it.

Carlston:

Keep in mind, FF7 was a bit less flashier than they made Advent childern... FF7 had no anime bouncing off walls ninja moves going on.

You just reminded me of the Twin Snakes remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. Every cutscene was extended by about 5 minutes because Snake didn't just dodge to the left or right to escape a bullet as he did previously, he now had to do fifteen backflips and a a couple of cartwheels instead.

I imagine a Final Fantasy 7 remake would get the same treatment, although after watching Advent Children that wouldn't be a bad thing - unlike Snake feeling the need to complete an entire gymnastic routine in a room filled with tripwires attached several blocks of C4.

Dora:

OutrageousEmu:

Oh, what now to insist this doesn't ;prove new franchises aren't the solution, are you going to insist that The Last Remnant is really just a sequel to a game from the MX2?

Nope. I never played that. I'm not saying making an original game will unleash a splooge of amazingness. I'm just saying remakes aren't the solution. They're cheap cashgrabs. A lot of companies drop a lot of stinkers on original titles, but that doesn't mean they should give up, go back and rehash older stuff.

Clearly this means your rules were made without any thought. Every sequel SE makes is reviled. Every original franchise they make is complete shit. Their remakes, however, continue to actually be liked, gaining high review scores as well as making cash. So in essence, your little "rule" about remakes being bad is completely idiotic and not based in any way, shape or form in the real world.

LostAlone:

Dora:

OutrageousEmu:

Exactly. Remakes are admitting that you have no ideas, particularly when that remake doesn't actually add a whole lot of anything.

SC2 was a in practical terms a remake of SC (so similar that it makes no odds), but they added plenty of new units and mechanics and had its own story, and so its a great 'new' game.

If you just change the graphics, then its just meh. I bet ya that if they added or changed anything in an FF7 remake, or if they made a direct sequel, people would HATE them for breaking it. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't, and thats why they shouldn't do it.

They don't have any ideas. Tnat doesn't mean they should just keep putting out shit, they should put out something people actually like.

I'd Prefer a new story in that world rather than a remake. I mean if you want the remake you've played it enough to not need the remake.

I mean you change some of the characters around and put some monster hunting missions and other stuff set years ahead or behind the original story and everything would be golden.

Which begs to wonder why it's even called FF7 aside from keeping the numerical sequence going even though its a wholly different world than the other games in general.

Or maybe squares more content on doing sequels for games people didn't enjoy as much. A 13 sequel did you not hear the rage from the fanbase.

OutrageousEmu:
They don't have any ideas. Tnat doesn't mean they should just keep putting out shit, they should put out something people actually like.

Well... yes. I'm not sure if that means you think they should put out FF7 again or not tho...

Personally, I think that they shouldn't do it even if certain loud mouthed subsets of the internet would like it.

Games companies have always been strongly averse to what amounts to fan service, because when they do release that stuff it turns out that very few people will put their hands in their pockets and pay for it. Particularly with FF7, their fans are a lot fewer than I think people imagine, but they are disproportionately visible.

It's folly to take what amounts to a massive step backwards in development just because some people will like it. If MILLIONS of people will like it... sure. But in terms of FF7, it would basically be a) admitting everything they have done in over a decade was crap, and b) the company being hold hostage by notoriously capricious and incredibly hard to please internet fans.

Once you do something like that, you are on a slippery slope of never being able to anything new ever again. Thats why developers don't listen to anything the fans have to say while they are developing. What seems like a good idea at the time to the nerds (ie the only people who both being on the developers forums before the game is even released) seldom translates into an enjoyable experience for all.

Hell, thats why practical all games are 'dumbed down' now for the casual gamers, because they need stuff to accessible to everyone. Sure some things might be like by us forum dwelling hardcore guys, but we amount to about 1% of their sales and what we like is near certain to alienate anyone else. 'Like' is a seriously subjective thing I'm afraid, and since nerds are probably the least likely to actually spend money on games anyway (either ignoring games we don't like or pirating them) and then can be counted on to bitch on the internet about how awful the game is anyway and put off other people. To succeed, developers have a strong incentive to ignore what we would like.

Theirs a reason why angry birds is the most successful game ever in absolute terms y'know...

OutrageousEmu:

Dora:

OutrageousEmu:

Clearly this means your rules were made without any thought. Every sequel SE makes is reviled. Every original franchise they make is complete shit. Their remakes, however, continue to actually be liked, gaining high review scores as well as making cash. So in essence, your little "rule" about remakes being bad is completely idiotic and not based in any way, shape or form in the real world.

Haha, wow, settle down. I didn't make any rules, I just offered my opinion. You know, that thing everyone has? I never said all remakes are bad, either. (But I've never seen one I thought was needed either.) I just said that in this case, I didn't think a remake was what Square needed because it wasn't going to solve their problems; namely, unoriginality, an aversion to anything that isn't a cookie-cutter proven hit, and bland formulas. Chill out. Not everyone agrees on the internets.

Okay, really? I get why they want to do it but of all the things Square needs to do, remake the their most overrated game ever is pointless. Sure, I might play it but it really has no reason to exist other than to say "Hey everyone, look, remember how much you liked this?"

No, what I want is a goddamn release date for Kingdom Hearts III and FFXIII Versus.
After that, then maybe think about the FF VII remake.

Would it suck? Probably. Would it make money? Definitely.

Square Enix NEEDS money these days. They are in all sorts of shit right now.

Custard_Angel:

The only way it would sell lots is if it was cheap (ie making up for it not actually being anything new), and thats a problem for a multi-million dollar development process. If they sold it at 50 bucks a time and sold as many as gran turismo, then sure, they'd make money.

But if it costs that much, it won't sell that many. Games are expensive and the only people who would care much have already completed it five times over. That's gunna put people off.

Alternatively, they have to cut price, and while that means more sales, it also means much less profit.

Yes, it would sell, but these are tough times for all of us, and I think a lot of people who have 50 bucks to spend on a new game would prefer to actually get a new game from it.

If people want to play FF7 (raise your hand if you get that urge frequently btw) then they can just go do that now for ten bucks on PSN (which has not had the suggested millions of sales btw). I don't see how new graphics suddenly makes it worth any more than that, or wanted by any more people.

How about dropping the idea to Square that perhaps they could earn a bit of cash by doing a minor collaboration with Nintendo again. Remember how well that used to work for them? I'm not saying much. But how about letting some constraints get a bit soft, eh? Maybe bring up a new Secret of Mana? Or how about bringing Geno back from Super Mario RPG? Throw in a game of the quality of FFVII without ruining the original with a remake that belittles the nostalgia of the first, and you've got yourself a bit of cash, boys. Fans would love you again. Nothing wrong with that, eh?

LostAlone:

Custard_Angel:

The only way it would sell lots is if it was cheap (ie making up for it not actually being anything new), and thats a problem for a multi-million dollar development process. If they sold it at 50 bucks a time and sold as many as gran turismo, then sure, they'd make money.

But if it costs that much, it won't sell that many. Games are expensive and the only people who would care much have already completed it five times over. That's gunna put people off.

Alternatively, they have to cut price, and while that means more sales, it also means much less profit.

Yes, it would sell, but these are tough times for all of us, and I think a lot of people who have 50 bucks to spend on a new game would prefer to actually get a new game from it.

If people want to play FF7 (raise your hand if you get that urge frequently btw) then they can just go do that now for ten bucks on PSN (which has not had the suggested millions of sales btw). I don't see how new graphics suddenly makes it worth any more than that, or wanted by any more people.

So you're saying you don't understand anything about human nature? What proof do you actually have that nobody wants it, apart from you just projecting your own hatred of FF VII because tyou think its cool to say that games overrated? What, exactly, do you have to illustrate that the gigantic number of people who keep asking for this game 5 years after it was teased isn't real? Kojima just came forth with proof it is real, wheres your proof it isn't?

If they do, let me know if Kojima's hired to direct it. Otherwise, I'll refer to my new apple device, the iDon'tcare.

ehhh, less popular titles have been remade. Anyone remember the Xbox remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day? Basically the same thing there, and with way less people clamoring for its creation. If that game made money, then I'm pretty sure a remake of Final Fantasy VII would make enough money to be worth the effort.

I say make a remake of all PS FF games. Well...I guess that's just 7, 8 and 9, but that would be good anyway! To remake ALL FFs would be a hassle (Though we would all love it) and to be honest, yes, most FF fans out there LOVE FF7. Personally, FF8 is my favorite and FF7 is my least favorite. But ignoring my personal opinion, a FF7 remake would get Square Enix back on its feet. Aren't they complaining about how much they suck? Well, release FF7 and KH3D/3! Kojima has the right idea; there's plenty to do/get money from but if they keep poking their nose and coming up with new games that no one likes/wants/needs, then I'm sorry Square Enix, but as much as I love you, you're gonna die. You're in no position to take a gamble with new, unheard of games (Yeah, I know that's how FF originated but let's not push their luck. Those were different times).

Seriously, I say they focus on FF and KH and THEN they can focus on some other games. Because what they need now is a miracle to stay afloat.

Didnt Hideo remake one of the MGS games successfully?
I think they should remake FF7 just to end people asking for it.
If they release it for the 360, I might even try it.

rekabdarb:

Tiswas:
Can we have remakes of V and VI on the DS as promised first?

6 has been remade on the ds (or psp... think it was ds though) i think. I played it last year.

Nope. Only III & IV are on the DS.

Personally, I don't think that FFVII should be "remade" as a fan of the series I can say one thing for certain. THE ACTIVE TIME COMBAT SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK IN THIS CONSOLE GENERATION! And that's where any remake of FFVII will go wrong.

Has anyone else noticed that in FFXII and FFXIII the waiting time was too long? In XII in particular I could run three laps around an enemy before I got in one attack. And..... well XIII didn't really have gameplay but those cutscenes took too long to load!

But of course a remake of VII would be hopelessly lost without the ATB, right? So there's really no winning with the fans of the series. But at the same time, fans of FFVII are a gullible lot, I mean, I paid for Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, AND Advent Children Complete so CLEARLY Square is just sitting on a goldmine.

Even if it sucked, making a remake of FFVII would certainly increase sales. Or really anything in compilation VII would get money. Personally, I want to know what happens after Dirge of Cerberus. It was a massive cliffhanger and they haven't even said whether there would be another game or not.

I hope the paragraphs encourage reading and seperating the imposing text wall. I'd like to SEE a FFVII remake, but I think they'd have to scratch the whole gameplay to make it work (Provided they don't just upgrade the character models and re-release it.), but doing so would provoke fan rage. So doing so is a lose-lose-ka-ching situation.

I don't know why squenix is so afraid of money. An FF7 remake would sell huuuuuge. Also, I find it funny that every single kojima related story on the escapist I've seen has been accompanied by that picture.

If they did away with the bobblehead design, it'd be worth getting.

just make a multi Disc CG movie version using the same improvements as the tech demo and i would be happy with just that.

BEWARE WALL OF TEXT! READ MY RAMBLINGS AT YOUR OWN RISK...

While the first FF game i played was a few moments of 8 a friend brought over once the first game i owned was 10. that same friend then brought over 7 and let me borrow it for a bit to let me play it through. not much later i bought 7 for myself and i still think its one of the best games i have played story wise. that tech demo was effectively a slap in the face with a truck to me but at least i wont have to buy a PS3 to play the remake. on that note and revisiting my thing with a CG movie version, WHY NOT? i would love to be able to revisit those memory's in a way that does the memory s justice. also why not 8, and 9? the whole PS1 era of FF was probably the best we will get in terms of story. IMO the PS2 era somewhat fell short in comparison except maybe certain bits of 10. 13 was... ok at least tho alot of the characters (in fact all of them pretty much) were pretty much unlikable. im curious where 15 will end up in rank compared to the others and i hope a port of 6 will come out on something i can play it on. I hear great things about Kelfksahtheclownwhosenameicantspell. if your eyes haven't bricked by now i congratulate you.

oh for fucks sake

Well, if they just clean the graphics up it's not like it's the end of the world or anything

plus a heck of a lot of people are growing up having not actually played that game and don't want to track down original copies or bother to pirate it

plus the original rendering is horrible to look at on a modern screen (although some of it has a bit of charm to it, it's nothing that I would really "miss")

overall I am cool with scenes being entirely led by choppy miming because a lot of it was done for comedic exaggeration and the rest was just because they couldn't really make any kind of facial expression but would you buy a game made today that did that

hell, I couldn't even recognize the treasure chests for a good while because they just looked like gold colored blocks that they placed far into the background where you have to squint to make them out

honestly if fanboy whining didn't stop the first six games from being remade (some of them more than once) I don't see how it would prevent them from continuing up the chain there

the strongest argument that I have against remaking this game is that I don't want to have to grind for knights of the round/omnislash AGAIN I mean good lord man didn't you already get enough of that the first time through

Polock:
In my opinion, it would be a bad move to remake it.

Then again, there are A LOT of FF7 fans out there...

Well, that depends on a lot of things. If by "remake" they decide to "re-imagine" or "re-boot" it, then of course that's a terrible idea. The big nightmare would be if you heard "well don't expect this to be like the first time around, all kinds of new things have been added to expand the story, and make it tie in better to the spin offs, prequels and sequels and....". What you would need is a literal remake and technological update of the original classic with the same pacing, dialogue, easter egges (even if dated) and similar things throughout the game. Similar to how when there was a remake of "psycho" despite mixed reviews the guy doing it apparently reproduced the original down to the exact second, making sure that the scenes took the same amount of time, the dialoge was the same and delivered with the same timing, etc... at least according to what I was reading. That's the kind of remake they would need to do with "Final Fantasy VII". Anything else would amount to a massive failure. Of course then again that's pretty much the kind of project that a lot of developers want to avoid, one problem with old media and developers, is that everyone wants to make their own mark on it, and that's usually not a good idea. The problem with a lot of super hero movies for example is that people typically want to see the character, not the writer/director/sandwich go-fers "epic re-imagining" of the franchise. Even with the original staff all the ideas they "wished they could have done" need to stay out of a remake, because the original succeded without them, and just because some writer might have really wanted to have a romantic sub-plot between Barret and Cait-Sith, doesn't mean that this would have improved the product, or that people nowadays would go "wow, that's an incredible addition to the story... and I put the commemorative barf tray from the collector's edition tgo great use watching the associated 'no punches pulled' sado-seduction scene FMV, where did you guys come up with the idea for all those hand attachment... ugh gotta go, stomach clenching up again due to thinking about it... still great job...".

Basically it's an idea I support, providing they did it right and everyone, including the original creators, could manage to restrain the impulse to change anything, other than updating the technology and graphics.

For a few reasons, a Final Fantasy VII remake is a bad idea. Considering the time table we were given before the tsunami and how much of a hit they've taken because of it, putting such time and effort into it now when it could be put into other games that might get them back on their feet, it could just as easily finish them as it could save them.

On the other hand, there's already a exceptionally large fan base behind it that seems to be doubling as a driving force. Hence, if it's done right, it could be very well received. If it's done right. And there's plenty of reason to think it might not be. They took a big hit from the tsunami. And we're right back at square one.

buy teh haloz:
Considering Square's financial position, that's a REALLY bad idea.

Wait, why?...I mean, it has to cost less to remake a game than to make an entirely new one, so therefore, they would actually have more to gain from remaking it than not, wouldn't they?

You know what is the biggest problem every time the topic of a Final Fantasy VII remake is brought up? It is statements such as these:

FinalFreak16:
For some reason I always think about one thing when it comes to an FF7 remake. HD Cloud in a dress.

I'm not sure if its a humorous image or a terrifying one. But i want to see it regardless lol.

duktapeman90:
Whether or not an FFVII remake could be any good or not is irrelevant. From a purely fiscal standpoint, it'd be retarded not to, given the shear number of fans demanding an HD remake. I sure as hell would buy it.

immovablemover:
Square Enix are currently in a bit of trouble when it comes to successful games releases, The final fantasy series is also victim of this decline; Remaking FF7 would likely, if only temporarily, remedy this situation.

And I believe they could do it quite well, regardless of how rose-tinted memories are precious to people. A Modern graphics remake, with good voice acting and an updated combat system (something akin to what they're putting in FFvs13) could, IMO, bring FF7 into the modern generation - Keeping what made the game great (The story, the setting, the characters) whilst updating bits which don't really stand up today (the lack of voices, the midi soundtrack, the pathetic origami 3D, the slow slow slow combat).

newwiseman:
As someone who annually will replay FFVII, I have no life, I'll say the only thing in the game I'm not a fan of are the graphics. Coincidentally with the release of FFXIII square-enix told all of us the only thing they are good at anymore is graphics.

How many fanboys, myself included, had a nerdgasm back when sony showed off the opening of FFVII for PS3? Saying, "if we were going to make it, it would look like this."

Let me pose a question. Assuming Square Enix decides to remake this game, what makes you think it is going to get remade on an HD home console?

People have talked extensively why an HD remake would be unfeasible. The manpower and resources it would require would be more than Square Enix would be capable of providing, especially in their current financial situation. There's a reason why they don't make games like this anymore and there is a reason why XIII ended up being such a corridor-fest; trying to do so would drive you to bankruptcy long before you would even manage to complete it (or the sales would never be good enough to recuperate the massive costs).

Furthermore, there isn't even a precedent here. Square Enix hasn't made a home console remake since the PlayStation era (you know, back when FF7 was new) and all of their remakes in the past few years have been on portable systems.

I am not saying a Final Fantasy VII remake isn't going to happen. Infact, I think chances are good that it will. Just don't get your hopes up that it will be remade on an HD platform. Infact, if anything, a handheld remake is much more likely (at least on something like the PSP or 3DS; I am not sure about NGP, since we don't know how costly it is to develop for the platform). It would still be very expensive, mind you, but at least it would be feasible for Square Enix to develop it without having to break the bank in the process.

Besides, does an FF7 remake even need cutting edge technology? Even remaking it with late PSX/PS2 era graphics would be a massive improvement over the original's visuals. Plus, since modern handhelds are quite advanced technologically, a handheld remake would probably still include all the bells and whistles fans seem to be clamouring for (aside from HD visuals, obviously).

Thedek:
Me to, I enjoyed 7 when it came out, but always thought 6 was much better. For one most of the characters are <gasp> ADULTS! The only one who angsts can't remember anything and was a slave her whole life anyway, and then she isn't that bad and gets over it.

Em....most of the characters in 7 are adults too. Infact, by the time of the events in the game, the only protagonist who hasn't reached adulthood would be Yuffie....and she is a secret character. Not to mention that Relm, Strago's granddaughter and one of the protagonists from 6, is younger than anyone from the FF7 cast.

Also, at least as far as Cloud is concerned, I never really considered his attitude to be "angst". It always seemed more like PTSD to me, which would also fit with the game's storyline.

rekabdarb:
6 has been remade on the ds (or psp... think it was ds though) i think. I played it last year.

Whatever it is that you played, it most definitely wasn't a VI remake...especially since VI was never remade. It was III and IV that were remade for the DS (IV and its sequel, The After Years, was also remade for the PSP).

Tom Phoenix:

Let me pose a question. Assuming Square Enix decides to remake this game, what makes you think it is going to get remade on an HD home console?

Why do we think that, if SE remakes the game, they're going to make it a modern remake? Because thats the only option with any sense in it and its the only option anyone would give a shit about...and because the first thing that sparked rumors of a HD remake was SE showcasing the opening sequence of FF7 in HD.

Nobody is asking for a half-arsed hand held remake, especially since you can already get FF7 on the PSP and on that tiny screen it doesn't look so bad and isn't THAT far removed from the quality of hand held games.

No, what people want, what would sell like crazy, would be a final fantasy 7 for the modern age. FF7 is dear to many people, its one of the most notoriously well liked games in history, SE would be lacerating their own balls by doing anything less than remaking it as best as they possibly could.

Besides, you seem to of stepped into the wrong conversation. This isn't about what we think is going to happen; this is about what we want.

immovablemover:

Tom Phoenix:

Why do we think that, if SE remakes the game, they're going to make it a modern remake? Because thats the only option with any sense in it and its the only option anyone would give a shit about...and because the first thing that sparked rumors of a HD remake was SE showcasing the opening sequence of FF7 in HD.

Nobody is asking for a half-arsed hand held remake, especially since you can already get FF7 on the PSP and on that tiny screen it doesn't look so bad and isn't THAT far removed from the quality of hand held games.

No, what people want, what would sell like crazy, would be a final fantasy 7 for the modern age. FF7 is dear to many people, its one of the most notoriously well liked games in history, SE would be lacerating their own balls by doing anything less than remaking it as best as they possibly could.

Besides, you seem to of stepped into the wrong conversation. This isn't about what we think is going to happen; this is about what we want.

Square Enix making an HD tech demo does not mean that they intend (or can even afford to) remake the entire game in that fashion. That tech demo was supposed to be a homage, not an implication that a remake was coming. Square Enix has already stated as such.

Also, what makes you think that a handheld remake would be "half-arsed"? Just beacuse it isn't on a home console doesn't mean it would be a bad or a "unworthy" remake. Final Fantasy III was remade for the DS and it sold like hotcakes. And modern handhelds are capable of far more than the "origami" style 3D that FF7 used. Both the PSP and 3DS are quite capable of reproducing PS2 style graphics, which means they are actually more advanced that the original PlayStation was. So a handheld remake would still be far superior visually than the original FF7 was.

And why would Square Enix be "lacerating their own balls" by not remaking it with cutting edge technology? None of their previous remakes used cutting edge technology and they still sold very well. Infact, the entire point of the links I added in my post (assuming you even bothered to read them) was that Square Enix would be, as you put it, "lacerating their own balls" if they did try making an HD remake, since any potential benefits would be far outweighted by the monumental cost of such an endavour. Besides, most of the people that want an FF7 remake simply want one beacuse they want to see the game with models that aren't composed of geometrical shapes. You don't need "production values up the arse" to achieve that goal.

And yes, I am aware that some of you want an HD remake. That was the point of my post. Your wishes have no basis in reality and you are just setting yourself up for a disappointment.

What about Final Fantasy 9? That is my personal favourite because of how rich it was in variety. It didn't have an amazing ending, nor a final boss, but the game as a whole is still always going to have a warm spot in my heart.

Why are we only talking about Final Fantasy 7?

I have to say it I have to say it I have to say it:

"JRPGs...have changed..."

You don't want Enix doing FFVII. Ever see a Trail of Blood going down a hallway like this? It just simply gives FFVII a great injustice! And I'm not even a big fan of it...at all.

A bad storyteller is asking another bad storyteller to remake a game with a mediocre-at-best story and questionable-at-best gameplay mechanics.

Dora:

AzrealMaximillion:

Dora:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!

Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.

Making more Final Fantasy games isn't creativity. It's time to bury that franchise. Maybe if they let their talent move in new directions they'd have a hit.

They have let their "talent" go in new directions. Look what happened. Neir, The Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4, MindJack and Infinite Undiscovery are all examples of SqEnix trying out new things. All of those games listed were extremely lackluster.

They wont remake it yet. Its too early. They are still pinning their hopes on the crappy FF XIII offshoots and other shit. That will get them enough money to survive.
No. FF VII remake is their doomsday scenario. When they have totally tapped out every possible thing they can, when they have no money rolling in, when it gets to the point where they are about to tell everyone to not come in next week, thats when they will roll out rumours of the FF VII remake.
They will say they were now actually about to do it but sadly are unable to secure funding. Then new investors will pile in to get a piece of that action. They will be well funded and will release it.
Not only will it pour money into them like a fucking waterfall but it will also increase brand confidence again.
Customers will fall for it, they will say "Square has really learnt from their past mistakes. They are now dedicated to producing good RPGs with solid stories again." and then Square will be able to milk that stupid faith in them for at least 3 more games. If they start to go under again, full FF VI/VIII/IX remake time.

LostAlone:

AzrealMaximillion:

Dora:
Yeah, that's what we need. More remakes. Forget creativity, just throw money at older properties! People are magpies who like shiny, familiar things!

Well look what creativity did to Square Enix recently. They've lost 148 million dollars thanks to crappy original IPs. Hell, The upcoming FF14 is responsible for almost half of that loss. An FF7 remake would provide them with the money they need to not be a massive sinking ship right now. As I see it SqEnix is going to have another brush with bankruptcy soon, just like they did when the poured that massive amount of money into Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Sony had to bail them out of that colossal mess up.

Honestly I think that FF7 would be a lot more of a financial risk than you think. First off, you're talking about probably a years development time, minimum. Sure, that's faster than a lot of games these days, but it's still a colossal task to just make a game. There isn't a single line of code that you can just pull from the original. You have to make EVERYTHING from new. All you have is a the script and an outline of events, which while I grant you saves some time, that is not the big deal in terms of man hours. So its going to take a long ass time to do. FF7 is a big game, and you have to make everything all over again. Next up you have to deal with a full sequence of QA, not just to make sure that it works, but that its actually still worth playing. If you change anything you get bitched at, even if its retarded.

So, they can't start to recoup anything for a long time. Next up, all that development costs money. A lot of money. If you want high quality voice acting and such like, well you have to pay for it. FF7 has a LOT of dialog. This takes a lot of investment to see through, a LOT.

Finally, you have a finished product sitting on shelves for 50 bucks.

How many people are going to actually buy that ? Now yes, you can assume a decent level of sales from the nostalgia crowd, but SqNix don't need decent, they need a VAST seller. The vast majority of people who seriously give a damn already have the PSN version of FF7, and though you'll still get sales, not to the same degree you might want. Next up, you have the regular gamer crowd who haven't played FF7 since the new millennium. How many of them are going to buy a game that advertisers itself as being 'exactly the same' as one they played over ten years ago ? Add to that the lack of anything new (ie multilayer, extra ANYTHING to make it worthwhile) and you have what looks like a pretty anemic title in this day and age, even more so if you completed it first time.

Basically what I'm saying is that while a remake would guarantee a million or so sales, SqNix need ten times that for it to be genuinely worth it, and tbh I don't even know if there are enough PS3s to make that happen. For a PS3 only title, it would probably be on killzone 2 levels (2mil) and while that might make them a few bucks that doesn't help them.

All that assumes that they actually don't get crapped on by every reviewer on the internet (not just Yahtzee) for screwing it up and destroying everyone's dreams, which TBH I think is a near certainty no matter what they do. Looking back, everyone loves FF7 with nostalgia glasses on. In practice, even a perfect remake is going to remind them that even for its time ff7 was not a great innovator.

Basically, its a BIG risk to do it. Similar stuff has generally not succeeded, or at least not to a huge degree. There's a remake of HL in the HL2 source engine, and of Doom in the Doom 3 engine. Both of which are pretty damn awesome but not particularly popular or commercially viable.

If there was a time to do this it was 2007 on the anniversary. It would be a job for a small team to release in chapters via PSN over the course of a year or so, and charging say $15 bucks for the whole thing. Keep most everything the same (ie the same code), just update the battle sequences and higher res sprites for the rest. People would buy that. Hell I might buy that if I had a PS3. But a proper remake would be definitely a bigger gamble than SqNix are in a position to take atm.

Well I'd say that an FF7 remake isn't as big a financial risk as you make it. FF14 actually accounts for over %30 of SqEnix's losses this year alone. And honestly, there are enough people in Japan alone who'd buy the remake to make it financially viable. Yes they can't use code from the original but to be quite honest that forces them to build the game with respect and not just a cash grab. And releasing it in chapters would be such a bad idea right now especially with the PSN just being attacked. I don't think the fans would accept a handheld remake like all the other FF remakes have gotten. Especially not with the art style they use for the DS versions.

What else can SqEnix do at this point. Their biggest franchise is killing them currently and any other game they develop themselves is garbage or a remake of FF on a handheld. And Hideo Kojima is by no means an idiot. His Metal Gear Series is just as old as Final Fantasy and has garnered him massive respect in the industry. When the one of the best video game directors/writers in the industry says you should remake the most critically acclaimed game in your series, and your company is losing money quickly, what would you do? They've had a massive amount of failed original IPs come out. MindJack anyone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here