Microsoft Promo Offers Free Xbox 360 For PC Purchase

Microsoft Promo Offers Free Xbox 360 For PC Purchase

Hoping to capitalize on the well known affection college students have for not actually studying, Microsoft is giving away Xbox 360s with the purchase of Windows 7-equipped PC computers.

Before you rush out to the nearest computer vendor, you should probably know that this offer comes with a few caveats.

First, the PC must retail for at least $699. Next, you must be able to prove your status as an actual student, either by presenting your student ID to the retailer, or by ordering the computer online via a .edu email account.

Lastly, and this is the big one, that Xbox 360 you've been salivating over since you read the lede up there isn't one of the fancy 250GB, $300 bundles. Instead the gratis console is a 4GB, $130 model.

So far the deal is only available to residents of the United States, but Microsoft claims the promotion will soon extend to France and Canada.

Promotions like this aren't at all uncommon, but I am curious as to the intentions behind this PR stunt. Despite Windows PCs being the dominant platform essentially everywhere in America, Apple's computers and laptops have been making serious inroads in recent years, particularly among college students. For the average student spending daddy's cash the choice between a non-descript Dell and a shiny MacBook guaranteed to draw the admiration of one's peers isn't much of a choice at all.

Of course, Apple doesn't have a market-leading gaming console, so perhaps Microsoft sees that as its best hope for winning back whatever miniscule chunk of the market Apple snatched up purely by virtue of its social cachet.

Regardless of its motivation, this plan would have been a lot more compelling with a 250GB hard drive.

Source: Windows Experience Blog

It's a reclusive first-year's wet dream.

Even the promise of a free console isn't enough for me to stop my custom building ways. I'll take my awesome custom computer and buy whatever I want with the money I save.

If ordering online with a .edu address is considered sufficient by their standards, how are they going to prevent faculty and staff of universities from taking advantage of the offer too? Or is that allowed?

Fayathon:
Even the promise of a free console isn't enough for me to stop my custom building ways. I'll take my awesome custom computer and buy whatever I want with the money I save.

Amen.

A custom PC built with your own hands is allot more appealing to me then some premade PC that's probably going to be a laptop if you're a student.

Earnest Cavalli:
Instead the gratis console is a 4GB, $130 model.

The link attached contradicts this statement. According to Amazon the 4GB is 199 bucks. Even used they aren't going for as low as $130. So yeah.

OH YES PLEASE COME TO FRANCE I want to play Alan Wake and Limbo sooo baaad. Oh and LA Noire also.

Or you could build your own computer of equal specs, and then use the money you saved to get said console...

I was initially excited about this. Now significantly less so. Especially since I live in Canada. When will people realise that most people who are students already have the opportunities open for them. I'm not just talking about deals, there's other things like jobs and internship opportunities that are only geared towards students. I kind of feel excluded as an erudite, well-read university-aged person who is penalised for choosing not to attend university but community college instead.

I'm detecting a Mac disliking undertone. On the escapist of all places?

On the other hand, for the price of a Mac you could buy a 250GB 360 to go with your as powerful-as-a-mac computer and complimentary free 360 :D

I wish they were doing this in the UK :(
we rarely ever get good promos

Alpha Maeko:

Fayathon:

Amen.

A custom PC built with your own hands is allot more appealing to me then some premade PC that's probably going to be a laptop if you're a student.

Can't lug a giant rig to class, and it isn't quite as easy to get it plugged up in your room. Also, you can't play split-screen Call of Duty on computers either, whereas you can on 360. Now, I know that custom PC is appealing to you, but many college students just want to play with friends. And for them, this is a great deal. A pretty decent laptop (that will still have enough power to run things at a decent pace a few years down the road, that price assumes at least 4GB RAM and an i3) along with a free 360, even if it is the gimped version, sounds pretty damn appealing to me. And the hard drive, if you really need it, can be bought with less than what you'd spent on a full 360, so it sounds pretty good.

BUT

I already have a nice laptop and a 360 with a 250 HDD that works, and I want to build my own custom PC this summer. This is a no go for me.

And you can sell the 360 and get a decent graphics card!

Now you'll have a REAL gaming system, and before you all doubt PC gaming I have two words for you:

Steam Sale

why would i want an xbox when i've got a brandnew pc?

Buy an expsensive PC, get a giant flash drive!

That's literally all this deal says to me...

believer258:

and it isn't quite as easy to get it plugged up in your room.

Also, you can't play split-screen Call of Duty on computers either, whereas you can on 360.

Actually it really is IDENTICAL. PC and Console have identical video output, HDMI and DVI are just different shaped plugs, the same video signal. You can play a PC on a HDTV or a console on a modern PC monitor.

And excuse me but doesn't split-screen suck?

I don't buy that it's a problem segmenting from your friends going with PC, you are already segmented from your friends online between PSN and XBL unless you get BOTH consoles.

Haha, Microsoft, you crazy bastards. It doesn't help that MS has turned it's back on PC gaming. Haha, buy this PC, then use Games for Windows Live.... I dare you.

BrotherRool:

On the other hand, for the price of a Mac you could buy a 250GB 360 to go with your as powerful-as-a-mac computer and complimentary free 360 :D

This post was written on a $3,300 MacBook Pro.

Pre-made PC + free xbox or build a gaming PC for less money? Hmmm, not a tough choice to be honest.

Alpha Maeko:

Fayathon:

Amen.

+1 rep to both of you.

When I read this offer, to me it said "Buy an expensive paper weight, get another one free!"

4 gigs is a pathetic amount of storage, nice idea but thats sorta like offering sombody a free hamburger and not giving them the second half of it :'(

the biggest problem with this is that it wants you to buy a premade pc and premade pcs tend to suck

Decent deal. You can buy a used 250gb hard drive for the new slims for around 70 bucks, anyway. So... worth it.

Worgen:
the biggest problem with this is that it wants you to buy a premade pc and premade pcs tend to suck

That or cost way to much to get a decent one. Still a nice deal for people that don't custom build there PC´s.

If I'd buy a PC, why would I want an Xbox in the first place? Also, factory made PCs tend to suck, I haven't seen the specs of the PC itself, but it must be quite underwhelming, even if you're intending to use it for web browsing and other stuff.

Treblaine:

believer258:

and it isn't quite as easy to get it plugged up in your room.

Also, you can't play split-screen Call of Duty on computers either, whereas you can on 360.

Actually it really is IDENTICAL. PC and Console have identical video output, HDMI and DVI are just different shaped plugs, the same video signal. You can play a PC on a HDTV or a console on a modern PC monitor.

And excuse me but doesn't split-screen suck?

I don't buy that it's a problem segmenting from your friends going with PC, you are already segmented from your friends online between PSN and XBL unless you get BOTH consoles.

CoD PC has split screen? I thought it didn't, sorry.

Also, what split screen lacks in quality it makes up for in sheer fun. When a few of my friends and I are in front of one big screen near each other, it makes for some pretty competitive, loud, and friendly fun. There's something inherently better, at least for me, about playing the game with a buddy next to you, and many college kids agree.

Also, I don't mean directly next to you, like huddled on a couch or the edge of a bed. I mean spaced out a bit.

And most people just pick up the console that most of their buddies have if they want to play online.

Finally, I wasn't mentioning anything about video quality. I don't know where you got that from. You seem to be overreacting a bit, don't you think?

Wow, this is a fantastic deal. I gave up on PCs years ago when I realised the cost involved in being a die-hard mouse&board, after all it might be a better system of interaction but what's the point if it costs so much extra and you don't always get the best games?

I have a real disposable income these days but was lucky enough to get a birthday present before uni that would have qualified for this. Lose out on some minor preferences in a PC I know I can update as a I want and get $200 xbox? Done and done, and I mean done.

maybe people will want to play the new L.A. Noir. And then fry their new xboxes :p

It's rather easy to get a decent gaming PC, one which can out perform the consoles by so much that even some of the badly coded ports will run smoothly on a budget this high.

Correction is in order. You will not be able to buy a pc that runs "Saints Row 2" smoothly on that budget, because that is a phenomenally bad port. Also, GTA4 will not run as you'd like, if it runs at all because of the drm.

BrotherRool:

I wouldn't say there's hate, but show me any brand new mac that I can't get the same specs for cheaper, and with a free xbox on a non-custom built pc, then get a cracked copy of the mac os if I really wanted it (garageband and logic pro are beginning to become appealing, but its only software, not hardware)

I think the aim of this campaign, that seems to have been overlooked in these posts, is to sell a PC strictly for your studying and provide a free Xbox platform for your gaming. It's a very good deal if one needs a PC strictly for studies.

If all U.S. Air Force members are enrolled in the Air Force Community College would that deal count?

RSparowe:
I think the aim of this campaign, that seems to have been overlooked in these posts, is to sell a PC strictly for your studying and provide a free Xbox platform for your gaming. It's a very good deal if one needs a PC strictly for studies.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the thread. I don't use a computer for gaming, I use it for school and assorted other crap. Said assorted other crap doesn't need to be breaking limits for its specs, and building a PC from scratch for that would be kinda mad.
And I don't have a laptop OR a 360. I don't intend to get a 360, but afree one would be nice.

Earnest Cavalli:

BrotherRool:

This post was written on a $3,300 MacBook Pro.

Well that pretty well puts me in my place. I was wrong.

You could buy 5 250GB 360's to go with your free complimentary 360 :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here