Empty Parking Lot Highlights Minecraft's Mundane

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Empty Parking Lot Highlights Minecraft's Mundane

Sure, you can create amazing things in Minecraft, but you could also spend hours building an empty parking lot.

Everybody's talking about their incredible Minecraft creations lately. I built the entire Star Trek Enterprise to scale! I created a Minecraft computer that has its own RAM! I modeled an amazingly beautiful Studio Ghibli world! Big whoop. I'm more impressed with the guy that made a parking lot.

Contrary to the wondrous creations of Minecraft, Boing Boing presents the more mundane. To start, how about a row of nondescript houses built in 19th century England? They're made of bricks, and have windows. Fired up yet?

Perhaps a highway intersection is more to your liking? Or an empty K-Mart... excuse me, Big-K parking lot at dawn. Yep, it's an empty parking lot all right. But it's built in Minecraft.

There's also a Minecraft version of Rockall, a small, rocky islet off the coast of Scotland covered in bird poo, but that's getting a little too exciting if you ask me. I think I'll go back and hang in that parking lot some more. There might be creepers in Big-K, but at least they (usually) don't explode.

Source: Boing Boing

if you ask me, looks pretty sweet, I think it would be cool for a minecraft zombie machinima

Wow! That's way too intense for me! I'm going back to watching my screen when it's turned off.

Mindblowing. Damn.

teh_Canape:
if you ask me, looks pretty sweet, I think it would be cool for a minecraft zombie machinima

Zombies would be pretty cool for that map, it isn't really pushing minecraft design, even if it does show a massive commitment to the game. I wish i could create a project like that, but i have to follow the rule of digging all my building materials, no mine edit

That's just so cool. The level of detail is really impressive. God I love minecraft.

Wait... is there asphalt in Minecraft? Asphalt you... craft by yourself?

Where the hell do people find the time to build all this amazing stuff?

Jesus christ it looks like my street.

Sort of creepy

The Random One:

All these types of reports are done with mods and or hacks.

It's not in the actual 'game' part, but the free build part. I think most are done with crazy third party programs/peripherals.

Thats actually rather creepy.

Its not an empty minecraft world... its a picture from 4 hours in the future /snicker

Yes, this illustrates my point of just how badly NPCs are needed in MC. More so than maps/skyworlds

Still looks better than what I can make. :(
*Looks at log cabin that he built*
*Cries*

When I looked at the Ghibli world one I almost deleted Minecraft altogether.
Who has this kind of time in their LIFE? I certainly don't.

That's awesome just because there's zombies in the game and that just cries out for parking lots and streets.
Hell best thing I built was a bunker that had two lava flows to either side of the door.

It all looks so... empty :(

Oh wait, all the people are probably just at home,
...playing Minecraft! :D

The Random One:

I think it's just wool. White and black wool.

Don't drive on it.

teh_Canape:

true, when I first saw that parking lot, I did think of Dawn of the dead straight away.

I would like to build a detailed but mundane city in fortresscraft...and then flood it.

Sadly, I can't be arsed.

i like to build with grass and torches, so that i can has pig-friends. or, you could do this on multiplayer, like most big projects.

Wow, they all seem so peaceful...

I love the highway overpass in that one photo. I wonder long the highway really is.

Of course the parking lot is empty. Who the hell still shops at K-Mart? :p

Looks like someone's preparing for the Zombie Siege game mode.

And no Lightstone blocks on those streetlamps? For shame.

That town level, with a thunderstorm so monsters can spawn outside without it being pitch black, would be one hell of a survival game. Do you run into a building and risk a creeper in a dark corner, or try to survive out in the storm?

I'm betting he just made one house and copied it ten times!

When the creepers come-a-creepin', I can only imagine surroundings like this making things feel fairly spooky in their banality. Romero-esque, for sure.

Two words, can you guesse? -- ----.

As awesome as those look I'm not quite satisfied yet. I wanna see some interior shots of the Big K and those houses. Either way: looking good

Wow.... That's actually quite... Eerie? Haunting? I don't know. It's surprisingly so, though. Didn't expect much.

Why is this news?

Shuttle Endeavor's Launch on Monday is more relevant and interesting, yet it did not get an article.

I don't get what the forth image is...?

Assassin Xaero:

Because you didn't read.

Tom Goldman:
There's also a Minecraft version of Rockall, a small, rocky islet off the coast of Scotland covered in bird poo, but that's getting a little too exciting if you ask me.

Shjade:

Assassin Xaero:

Because you didn't read.

Tom Goldman:
There's also a Minecraft version of Rockall, a small, rocky islet off the coast of Scotland covered in bird poo, but that's getting a little too exciting if you ask me.

I went to public schools... if there are pictures, you can't expect me to remember to read... >_>

viranimus:
Its not an empty minecraft world... its a picture from 4 hours in the future /snicker

Yes, this illustrates my point of just how badly NPCs are needed in MC. More so than maps/skyworlds

Try th Millenaire mod it adds npc,s that build their own towns...you just need to help them with resources a bit

Assassin Xaero:
I went to public schools... if there are pictures, you can't expect me to remember to read... >_>

I can, particularly in cases where the answer is visible in the first post of the thread where you're asking your question if you just scroll up to look for it.

It doesn't mean you will, of course, but I can still expect it.

Anarchemitis:
Why is this news?

Shuttle Endeavor's Launch on Monday is more relevant and interesting, yet it did not get an article.

Interesting is subjective, but a shuttle launch is not more relevant on a site about gaming than somebody building something in a game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here