Empty Parking Lot Highlights Minecraft's Mundane

Pages PREV 1 2

That is kinda awesome. Man, now I wish someone would make Johnson City New York in Minecraft.

This is pretty awesome. Probably excites me more than most of the other projects.

Actually, I think this whole scenario reminds me about how -LONELY- minecraft can be. The melancholic music doesn't help T_T

thats kinda amazing.. Though i wonder if anyone has built Alcatraz yet.. I would like to see that..

Sober Thal:

The Random One:
Wait... is there asphalt in Minecraft? Asphalt you... craft by yourself?

All these types of reports are done with mods and or hacks.

It's not in the actual 'game' part, but the free build part. I think most are done with crazy third party programs/peripherals.

Not necessarily, some people do it as a team on servers, legitemately, and others *cough* me *cough* tend to just log on for an hour a day or so and do a little work on a project. Surprisingly enough, if you plan and structure the project ahead of time, you can get alot done. And it doesn't consume your life.

It still begs the question: why?

And that's my biggest problem with Minecraft.

That is certainly amazing work, I wonder how many hours it took to make that.

bleachigo10:
Where the hell do people find the time to build all this amazing stuff?

I'm pretty shure it's black wool... No wonder there're no cars around. They sunk in the eternal fluffyness of the streets. Damn. Epic.

It's actually quite impressive if you ask me. I mean, I've never built anything that big. I always start of with an idea and then before I know it, I'm building something underground which takes WAY longer than building it above.... And then I get bored of hollowing out rooms and move on to something else with the intention of finishing it.

EDIT: He should have used Stone Slabs to make the pavements rather than whole blocks. Imagine having pavements a metre tall!? It's insanity!

Well, this is so many levels of mediocre.
Must be a slow news day...

This must have taken ages to craft, even more if it was completely mined. Kudos...

This is incredibly poetic in a way.

Dulcinea:

We do what we must, because, we can.

-GLaDOS

That's simultaneously awesome, saddening, and terrifying. Make it stop, oh god, make it stop...

This is something I've pondered quite a few times. what exactly does make something interesting or nice in Minecraft? Is it actually looking nice? Is it functionality? Or is it just the fact that it took a lot of effort and some abstract thinking to make it with only 1x1x1 blocks?

Highway alone is a lot of work merely for clearing the land, but when I take a look at what I have done so far, it isn't so much time. I've built large towers over the clouds in about an hour. Of course it took extra time to mine out the cobblestone.

Shoggoth2588:
As awesome as those look I'm not quite satisfied yet. I wanna see some interior shots of the Big K and those houses. Either way: looking good

It would be just like any other Kmart. Empty. Except maybe a blue light special on feathers.

The Random One:
Wait... is there asphalt in Minecraft? Asphalt you... craft by yourself?

Yes, but it sounds like walking on mattresses.

Because it's wool.

viranimus:
Its not an empty minecraft world... its a picture from 4 hours in the future /snicker

Yes, this illustrates my point of just how badly NPCs are needed in MC. More so than maps/skyworlds

Or in the past, and the langoliers are only just over the horizon...
And I get the feeling the pigmen villages are getting closer to getting done. I look forward to that. Dunno if you will be able to interact with them(I hope so), but leaving them around for scenery or razing their village to the ground like a 16th century conquistador will give more spice to the game.

rokkolpo:

Dulcinea:

We do what we must, because, we can.

-GLaDOS

Why?

Why not?
-Cave Johnson

That´s like the matrix, only without all the mr.Smith´s

Better hurry up and find shelter. Its getting awfully dark in that parking lot. There were three muggings last week. The lack of a police station means the Creepers are getting brazen.

If i ever succumb to playing Minecraft, i will use the game to recreate an uninhabited island

Wow. That would be amazing at night. Or in a storm. Darkness, rain, creepers and zombies... all in the mundanity of suburbia? Yes please.

Frybird:
If i ever succumb to playing Minecraft, i will use the game to recreate an uninhabited island

The game's got you covered. You start on an uninhabited island. XD

A celebration and satire of consumerism at its finest.

So many amazing things can be done in Minecraft!

I wonder if he has any plans to make cars for the parking lot?

It feels so lonely and depressing in that creation.... Like a ghost town....

tehweave:
That's just so cool. The level of detail is really impressive. God I love minecraft.

'The Level of detail is Impressive????'

Somewhere, Real* Level Designers/artists** are crying.

*Yes, Minecraft is a real game, I just mean that as in games that have levels designed in which you can stare at a can of baked beans, reading the ingredients for an hour.

antipunt:
Actually, I think this whole scenario reminds me about how -LONELY- minecraft can be. The melancholic music doesn't help T_T

I know. It reminds me of Indie Movies. ='(

It may not be as impressive as some of the structures I've seen before but it is still pretty cool though. A LOT of work put into it.

what else do people build in minecraft...?

I can't tell if the guy's sarcastic or not, but I really liked these.

Really stark, accurate. Simple things but rendered in clean, vibrant colors.

Cool stuff!

Tom Goldman:

There's also a Minecraft version of Rockall, a small, rocky islet off the coast of Scotland covered in bird poo, but that's getting a little too exciting if you ask me.

Rockall is actually of the coast of Ireland. Sorry to get all uppity about such a little point but it's actually a big matter of debate between 4 countries because control of the island would give control of large oil and fishing waters in the Atlantic.

read all about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

So Minecraft is like computerized Lego then? Just not as expensive and you have more blocks.

this is what i like to build too, because i have no imagination.

(proud owner of a legitimately built 2 story brick block house (in single player, and no mods))

viranimus:
Its not an empty minecraft world... its a picture from 4 hours in the future /snicker

Yes, this illustrates my point of just how badly NPCs are needed in MC. More so than maps/skyworlds

So.. Sims?

Anarchemitis:
Why is this news?

Shuttle Endeavor's Launch on Monday is more relevant and interesting, yet it did not get an article.

This is the site where pedophilia is considered ok and if you say anything against it you're an evil bastard.

Intelligent conversation is unfortunately no longer to be found. Kinda like OCAU. :(

Above topic of conversation is technically banned but I've seen more people banned for arguing against it than for so 'shrugs'

Wow, great work on the review which you pretty much just ripped from the site.

If you're going to do that, just post a link and pics.

It's kinda funny though, someone does something which can almost be classified under the "games as art" and it's all "NEED NPC'S!!".

Boring people

I... I just got it, what Minecraft totally needs to do to impress me.

Use satellite world imagery to create all "known" places in earth down to every basic home and random stump, created as one massive work, in which anyone can enter/build/destroy anything, and have it refresh every 48 hours, think of the multi-player and multi-player mini-games they could add, i for one would get a big kick out of a server-wide scramble to trash famously loved/hated buildings/places in the world.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here