First Trailer for New Muppets Movie Poses as Generic RomCom

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

This trailer starts as a crummy-looking romantic comedy, cheesy narration and all. It becomes much, much more.

When audiences sat down to watch Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, they were greeted by the trailer for a laughably boring romantic comedy. Jason Segel and Amy Adams meet, fall in love, have some sort of fight, and hilarity (or what passes for hilarity in those types of movies) ensues.

But before the trailer could give away the tearful making-up at the end, something very strange happened. The narrator begins listing cast members, and starts stumbling when Kermit and Piggy show up. And Gonzo. And Animal. And Rolf and Beaker and the Swedish Chef. I'll leave it to Jason Segel's character to sum up America's collective reaction when he interjects, "Woah woah woah, wait wait wait, stop. Are there Muppets in this movie?"

Yes Jason, there are. After over a decade of web shorts and less-than-great TV movies, the Muppets are returning to the silver screen in their upcoming movie titled ... well, The Muppets. Based on the trailer, which quickly becomes rather muppety, the movie has everything that made the Muppets great; over-the-top dance numbers, ludicrous characters, and at least one fourth-wall-defying moment.

First announced back in 2008, the movie has gathered an impressive cast list, following in the grand tradition of The Muppet Movie by giving big stars and famous comedians bit parts and cameos throughout the film, including appearances by Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Danny Trejo, Katy Perry, Ricky Gervais, and Zach Galifianakis.

The film is supposed to be released this Thanksgiving, and if it doesn't include the balcony-dwelling hecklers Statler and Waldorf, I will hunt you down and teach you the meaning of pain, Segel. Just you watch.

Source: Reddit

"I'm glad to see this, because for the past few decades The Muppets have been very medium."

"Medium?"

"Yes. Not rare, and certainly not well done!"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

Mantonio:
"I'm glad to see this, because for the past few decades The Muppets have been very medium."

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

This made me laugh so hard, did you come up with it or was it a quote?

MARSHAL!

Mantonio:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

Give this man a biscuit!

There's something about watching Jason Segel at 1:08 that makes me lol. Hard.

RADlTZ:

Mantonio:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

This made me laugh so hard, did you come up with it or was it a quote?

It's from The Muppet Show, although they were criticising a sketch. It's the first in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I

I am so watching this!

Oh yeah! I love the Muppets :)

I'm not sure about the romcom premise, but I'm so happy there's going to be a new muppets movie. I hope the humans don't detract from muppety goodness. They're usually the downside to those movies, imo.

Oh, and there better be some mention of shrimps prawns.

This looks like a romantic comedy that I would actually like to wacth, Let's hope the ROM Com doesn't take up too much of the movie. it was boring.

Car...in the classroom?

Way to ruin the whole idea behind the fake trailer. At least Bleeding Cool kept the surprise for people until they actually watched it.

I was never a big muppets fan, but I don't recall a terrorist muppet...when did they add him?

Scott Bullock:

The film is supposed to be released this Thanksgiving, and if it doesn't include the balcony-dwelling hecklers Statler and Waldorf, I will hunt you down and teach you the meaning of pain, Segel. Just you watch.

Just make sure to leave some for me... I'm a good teacher.

I seriously can't wait for this movie to come out, although I am hoping the rom-com part is just for the trailer... It would leave less screen time for the Muppets.

That was pretty funny.

Fozzie sound very off though... Oh Jim, why'd you have to die?

Mantonio:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

+1 Internet for you sir. If Waldorf and Statler aren't in there, we shall be most disappoint.

Edit: I'm frankly amazed they managed to keep the Mad Bomber in there though...given...certain circumstances.

Not to trying to come off as a dick, but this isn't really news (The trailer to a film came out?) and you utterly ruined the point of the trailer in the title. You guys are kind of slowly doing that with Mass Effect 3 as well.

Live4Lotus:
I was never a big muppets fan, but I don't recall a terrorist muppet...when did they add him?

That would be Crazy Harry

Ugh. Muppets are so....so....STUPID.

Come on people! Grow up a little. Muppets are for CHILDREN.

Digikid:

Muppet Show ended in 1981

that's 30 years ago.

anyone who saw it certainly isn't a child now *rasp*

Ha it's quite misleading, so what is the actual plot in the movie then?

Mantonio:

"Medium?"

"DO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

"Wake up you old fool! You slept though the whole show!"

"Who's the fool? You watched it!"

"BO-HO-HO-HO-HO-HO!"

Digikid:

They're really not. They're a group the whole family can enjoy. You'd be surprised how much of an influence the muppets has on most modern comedy.

Also this is a site with a massive My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic following. No body gives a shit.

Dear Hollywood.

Please give me a date, not "thankgiving". You know, those things made of numbers that represent time? They usually look like this: 24/6/2011. It saves me googling some pointless American holiday I don't care one whit about.

Yours Sincerely,
Me.

That. Actually. Looks. Amazing. (!!!)

Casual Shinji:
That was pretty funny.

I think Fozzie was performed by Frank Oz.

Digikid:

Next you'll say My Little Pony is for children as well.

*Shakes head*

So does the movie have nothing to do with that romcom section or is that part of the plot?

Scott Bullock:

You won't be the only one. I'll bring the beating flail.

The Great JT:

Scott Bullock:

How can a muppet movie not feature Waldorf and Statler. It just wouldn't be right.

Kneel:

Casual Shinji:
That was pretty funny.

I think Fozzie was performed by Frank Oz.

Correct and that is why Yoda and Fozzie sound the same.

OT: If Dave Goelz is on board then so am I.

diggy140892:

The Great JT:

Scott Bullock:

How can a muppet movie not feature Waldorf and Statler. It just wouldn't be right.

They're kind of stuck in that balcony thing. Maybe they will pop up for a bit, though?

I remember seeing this ad four days ago. It looked like the most bland, cliched RomCom ever...then Muppets. Muppets everywhere. Major 'WTF' moment.

Hamster at Dawn:
So does the movie have nothing to do with that romcom section or is that part of the plot?

From what I understand, the plot will be around The Muppets globetrotting to find all their friends again so they can pitch or put together a movie/play. I don't think it has very much of the rom-com aspect in it.

Digikid:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

tl;dr: YOU are the child. So shut up, go away, and don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out.

Digikid:

Seriously? You've never seen Waldolf and Slader? (Slater? Slader?)

That shit is NOT suitable for kids at all.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here