CD Projekt Unveiling Brand New Witcher Project at E3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

CD Projekt Unveiling Brand New Witcher Project at E3

CD Projekt plans to Witcher up E3 2011 with a brand new game announcement.

RPG fans might have only recently stepped back into Geralt's shoes in Witcher 2, released on May 17, but CD Projekt RED already has some more Witcher action to bring into the world. The company is getting ready to reveal a new project at E3 2011 that's Witcher-related, but not associated with a previous title in the series.

CD Projekt's Pavol Buday tweeted about the new project with little details, only saying that it'll be unveiled at E3. Fortunately, CD Projekt senior producer Tomasz Gop told Eurogamer: "I can't say anything obviously for gazillions of reasons but it is a Witcher game, and I can say that console gamers might be interested in it."

A console Witcher title called Rise of the White Wolf was announced in late 2008, but later suspended due to various issues during development. A recent report hinted that the project was back in action, and this new information seems to confirm that Rise of the White Wolf, or something similar, will be shown off at E3.

CD Projekt added that the project is not Witcher 3. "No, I'm not going to lie to you, we haven't started work on The Witcher 3," Gop said. "But it's possible we might do it in the future."

Whether it's Rise of the White Wolf or not, fans of the mature Witcher universe and console owners that have never played the series before really can't lose. And you never know, it could even be a Project Cafe title.

Source: Eurogamer

Probably something to do with the little female witcher he raises in the books.
Would be pretty cool to play as Dandelion for a while too.

Let us hope it is Rise of the White Wolf, or something similar. I really wanted that, and was sad when it was canceled. You can never have too many good RPG's! Hopefully I will be able to get that gaming PC I want soon, so I can actually play this stuff without waiting for crappy console ports...

Fuck yes. I hated the fact that Witcher was PC exclusive considering that I haven't had a decent gaming PC since '05. This excites me greatly.

As much as I enjoy the franchise, I'm not too thrilled. CDP Red seems to have become a studio devoted to just one series, which doesn't bode well for them in the long run...

Maybe its just me, but I think they should stabilize Witcher 2 before jumping headfirst into other projects.

"Console fans might be interested" in watching us wave good bye to them, from our airship of RPG happiness.

Hobo Steve:

Snowalker:
Maybe its just me, but I think they should stabilize Witcher 2 before jumping headfirst into other projects.

Patching a game doesn't require has much staff then creating a new game, especially now that their engine is build, so they have to do something with the extra staff or fire people.

i hope it is witcher for consoles, i really want to play it but lack of a demo and my uncertain specs prevent me from doing so.

As long as they stay away from EA, this game has the potential to be good. Seriously, stay away from CD Projekt you grease-ball bastards! I don't want them to go the way of Bioware...

I hope that this title will introduce even more people to this developer, seeing as their work has been pc exclusive up until now. So many great games at E3 this year :D

Snowalker:

I'm assuming it's over ridden with bugs?
I'm playing through the first Witcher to see if I liked it (which I do) before I go on to buy the second one. But the way you're talking, I might want to hold off until a patch comes out.

My hopes for a new Witcher game:

1. Hire a third party for the localization and make them hire actors who aren't awful.

2. Have it be about a different character or even, *gasp*, let us make one! I know it's a crazy and outlandish idea to use character creation in a WRPG, but supposedly it works quite well!

3. Hire someone who can design and implement combat systems.

shaboinkin:

Snowalker:

I'm playing through the first Witcher to see if I liked it (which I do) before I go on to buy the second one. But the way you're talking, I might want to hold off until a patch comes out.

Well, not over ridden with bugs, no, it all depends on your Graphics card... Got an ATI? Go for it. (sheer irony there because nVidia is plastered all over the thing)
Got a nVidia graphics card below the the 400 series? Also, go for it.

Otherwise, yeah wait for either a patch or a driver update, cause this game has issues with high-end nVidia cards.

Snowalker:

It's just you, it plays fine. I've only encountered one frustrating bug when I have a specific sword crafted from a schematic only for it to appear in my inventory as a piece of shit sword from act 1.

shaboinkin:

Every game has it's bugs, the first one certainly does. The second one isn't bad at all. read above.

Get the second one, but be prepared to have your ass kicked while you relearn the mechanics.

mireko:
My hopes for a new Witcher game:

1. Hire a third party for the localization and make them hire actors who aren't awful.

2. Have it be about a different character or even, *gasp*, let us make one! I know it's a crazy and outlandish idea to use character creation in a WRPG, but supposedly it works quite well!

1. Witcher 2

2. Your choices matter more than in any other WRPG in The Witcher 2, I'd say that's a decent trade-off. Geralt's appearance is linked to the game world's lore.

3. Witcher 2

I want this on ps3..
Liked the 1. but my pc broke.. so no witcher 2 for me..
Also, what are the books called and are they available in English?

WaaghPowa:

Snowalker:

It's just you, it plays fine. I've only encountered one frustrating bug when I have a specific sword crafted from a schematic only for it to appear in my inventory as a piece of shit sword from act 1.

shaboinkin:

Every game has it's bugs, the first one certainly does. The second one isn't bad at all. read above.

Get the second one, but be prepared to have your ass kicked while you relearn the mechanics.

Really? I answered this and dispelled your entire comment with the one above yours, I wasn't talking about in-game bugs, as explained.

mireko:

Witcher 2 combat is fine, only real trouble with it is targeting at certain time. Now if you don't like that kind of combat not much can be done for you, don't know a combat mechanic that everyone like even when well done.

For example I know someone who liked Mount & Blade original melee animation control but who can't stand playing Warband due to slight change to it.

If they are going to announce a console game, it will be great news. I'd really like to play Witcher 2, but I don't have a PC to run it on.

RyQ_TMC:
As much as I enjoy the franchise, I'm not too thrilled. CDP Red seems to have become a studio devoted to just one series, which doesn't bode well for them in the long run...

*clears throat*

Squaresoft. Final Fantasy.

AS FOR THE WITCHERS COMBAT.

It's good but it does have problems. It feels floaty. Most frustrating is geralt himself, who responds just a LITTLE too slowly- usually because he's locked in an annoying goddamn animation.

Case in point, when you use the force push sign (whatever it's called nerds, I know force push when I see it), it takes a good second or two to reready your sword. It's use for breaking enemies blocks, staggering, or stunning is almost entirely negated simply due to geralt taking forever to take a fucking command afterwards. Also annoying is the inability to climb ledges or search corpses until the game leaves combat mode, which can persist up to a minute after your last enemy is dead unless you sheath your sword (which leaves you vulnerable from things like Diggers that tend to run up on you from out of nowwhere)

Pretty much, the game and geralt simply does not respond as fast as the user can, and combat can be frustrating at certain points because of it. Despite this, the games good fun.

Woodsey:
1. Witcher 2

2. Your choices matter more than in any other WRPG in The Witcher 2, I'd say that's a decent trade-off. Geralt's appearance is linked to the game world's lore.

3. Witcher 2

Yeah, I'm just bitter about playing through TW1 for a save file to import.

Still, there's not really any reason we have to play as Geralt. When you give the protagonist amnesia, you're pretty much wiping the slate clean anyway. The only justification I can think of is to appease fans of the novels.

I am *very* much hoping that this is either a console port of the first Witcher or, even better, the console port of The Witcher 2. We know that the PC sequel was made to work with an 360 controller, so the foundation, in my eyes, is there. Now it could very well be a stand-alone title from the PC versions, and that would be fine. But, no insult intended to the PC gamers out there, but not everyone has a PC that can run either of the Witchers. So, having the chance to play them on consoles would be quite the blessing.

iniudan:

Snowalker:

Patching a game doesn't require has much staff then creating a new game, especially now that their engine is build, so they have to do something with the extra staff or fire people.

Fair enough, I'm just a wee bit irked.. and wish that a patch either fixing the issue or a new driver that does the same.

mireko:

Woodsey:
1. Witcher 2

3. Witcher 2

Yeah, I'm just bitter about playing through TW1 for a save file to import.

Still, there's not really any reason we have to play as Geralt. When you give the protagonist amnesia, you're pretty much wiping the slate clean anyway. The only justification I can think of is to appease fans of the novels.

I don't know how much it plays into the first, but I wouldn't argue particularly hard against someone if they claimed that him regaining his memory is actually the main plot of the second game.

I've played enough of TW1 to know that points 1 and 3 have been thoroughly addressed though. But get ready for the combat to treat you like a little bitch.

Snowalker:
-

Forgot about the ATI issue, but Nvidia cards were experiencing a similar issue that was supposedly their fault, not CD projekts. The issue for Nvidia was fixed with their most recent beta drivers. Not sure as to the cause or solution with ATI cards.

Edit: Also at the time of typing this comment, you had not made any reply nor any reference to specific issues.

So much for all that "Witcher 2" DLC we've been hoping for.

//I kid, hopefully they have someone working on that.

WaaghPowa:

Snowalker:
-

Forgot about the ATI issue, but Nvidia cards were experiencing a similar issue that was supposedly their fault, not CD projekts. The issue for Nvidia was fixed with their most recent beta drivers. Not sure as to the cause or solution with ATI cards.

Edit: Also at the time of typing this comment, you had not made any reply nor any reference to specific issues.

Nice edit, good chuckle... Now, the beta driver that solves everything... doesn't. If you're like me who wishes to enjoy this supposedly 3D ready game in 3D... you're up shit creek. Because the true fix is removing the 3D driver.

TsunamiWombat:

RyQ_TMC:

*clears throat*

Squaresoft. Final Fantasy.

They still make/publish other games. So does Bethesda. So does Rockstar.

When CDP Red was founded, there was much talk of how it would pursue various projects, Witcher being only the first of many. Now it seems like they're planning to milk the IP dry.

EDIT:

roguewriter:
I am *very* much hoping that this is either a console port of the first Witcher or, even better, the console port of The Witcher 2. We know that the PC sequel was made to work with an 360 controller, so the foundation, in my eyes, is there. Now it could very well be a stand-alone title from the PC versions, and that would be fine. But, no insult intended to the PC gamers out there, but not everyone has a PC that can run either of the Witchers. So, having the chance to play them on consoles would be quite the blessing.

I think (a bit too tired to check it properly now) that TW2 has been confirmed to get PS3 and 360 ports towards the end of 2011. If that happens, I would actually consider getting a console version... The game is pushing my old rig to the limits, and I don't plan to get a new one anytime soon.

Hobo Steve:

Wouldn't that basically be Leisure Suit Larry: Fantasy Edition?

So soon after The Witcher 2 was such a huge disappointment?

Okay...whatever works I guess.

Snowalker:

WaaghPowa:

Snowalker:
-

Nice edit, good chuckle... Now, the beta driver that solves everything... doesn't. If you're like me who wishes to enjoy this supposedly 3D ready game in 3D... you're up shit creek. Because the true fix is removing the 3D driver.

You're part of a minority if you're playing your game in 3D, that would also mean that you can actually PLAY the game as I can't remember there ever being an ATI card for 3D. Your issue will get fixed eventually, I'm still waiting for the SLI/Crossfire fix for Crysis 2 that doesn't involve simply turning off SLI. Does it make the game a write off? no.

I hope this is a game about some magic-wielder set in the Witcher universe (Ciri?). I can wait for The Witcher 3, there's no need to push one game after another adding new numbers, it's not a TV series.

WaaghPowa:

Snowalker:

WaaghPowa:

You're part of a minority if you're playing your game in 3D, that would also mean that you can actually PLAY the game as I can't remember there ever being an ATI card for 3D. Your issue will get fixed eventually, I'm still waiting for the SLI/Crossfire fix for Crysis 2 that doesn't involve simply turning off SLI. Does it make the game a write off? no.

Never said the game was a write off. Simply saying they should support what they advertise and informing the guy that he should expect problems if he has a high-end card, frankly I like the game, and the 3D is still good, just the performance makes it almost unbearable at times.

Snowalker:
-

Like i said, give it time. They did pretty good as far as releasing the game with minimal bugs compared to some recent releases. Crysis 2 is STILL experiencing issues and lacking features that were advertised i.e. DX11, SLI

WaaghPowa:

Snowalker:
-

Like i said, give it time. They did pretty good as far as releasing the game with minimal bugs compared to some recent releases. Crysis 2 is STILL experiencing issues and lacking features that were advertised i.e. DX11, SLI

Fair enough, though, it irks me more with this game than others because its PC only, but alas I understand.

I'd say the problems with Crysis 2 stem from the whole being aimed at Consoles.. don't kid yourself, it is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here