New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Coming Soon

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Coming Soon

Grab your towels, kids, because Hothead Games is about to take us on a whole new hitchhiking trip across the galaxy!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the most famous and most beloved adventure games in the history of, well, the galaxy, but it's been 27 years since Infocom brought Douglas Adams' most famous work to computer screens. An entire generation has been born and raised without knowing the pleasure of trying to get that damned babelfish, in other worlds, and boy, that's just not right.

Don't panic! Hothead Games, the studio that brought you Penny Arcade Adventures, Swarm and Deathspank, is working with Megadodo Publications to bring a new edition of the famous Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to all the planets in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the galaxy, including ours. "We're super excited to be involved with such a legendary creation as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," said Hothead's Joel DeYoung. "All the hoopiest froods here at Hothead jumped on the chance to work on the project."

Deets are pretty thin at this point but an early look at an entirely non-functional preview edition of the Guide can be had at thenewhitchhikersguide.com, where you can also sign up for the mailing list or throw it some love on Facebook. Alternatively, you can just get stupidly excited right here, because holy crap! New Hitchhiker's Guide! Microscopic space fleet! Peril-sensitive sunglasses! Foonting turlingdromes! Suddenly the universe seems to be a bit of a happier place.

Because I haven't suffered enough.

NO! STOP NOW! ...please....

you'll ruin it for all of us.

I don't get how there's a game in there, I mean nothing really happens in the book.

I mean the only thing that comes to mind is a point & click detective game.

Announced on Towel Day? Nice. :)

It will probably just be set in the Hitchkiker's universe.

27 years is a bit long to wait for a double header.

I'm torn between my fanboy-ish delight at having a game set in what's easily the most gratifying take on science fiction humour ever and my deep-seated suspicion at an industry that has been systematically axing my childhood memories and charging me for the mangled remains.

Let's call it... cautious optimism.

Angnor:

My thoughts exactly, happy towel day to you sir :)

I wish we had the technology to create a a proper space sim where you could go down to every planet and they would have their own quests and visual design. That would be a Hitchiker game I would love to play. As much as I love Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy I doubt that this will live up to any expectations.

My issue is that it will probably be very insubstantial compared to what it needs to be.

I didn't even know there was a previous game based on one of my favorite books. btw a cookie to the first person to tell me the meaning of life and question of life

This could work, probably won't but it could. All I really want is to play as Zaphod, but only has the right head, and as long as we can avoid the color green.

I don't suppose they could do another Starship Titanic?

Loved that, very annoying, game.

Littaly:

Angnor:

and to you as well, sir. :)

Littaly:

Angnor:

and to you as well, sir. :)

Well, despite the apprehensive statements thus far, I fully intend to purchase and enjoy this game. Provided they can keep the interface from interfering with the game play, and they can keep douglas adam's humor involved I will at worst like it.

BoredDragon:
I didn't even know there was a previous game based on one of my favorite books. btw a cookie to the first person to tell me the meaning of life and question of life

I'm assuming you were wanting the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? In that case 42 but the question (atleast from Arthur's perspective) was what do you get when you multiply 6 by 9

But overall a very Froopy announcement

Angnor:

How classy of them :D

This more than anything gives me some hope for this product.

This is one of the saddest threads I've ever read.

I did like the remake of the movie, the original was way to slow paced. A game to further explore the universe could be fun but I doubt it.

well if I get near the game and my Peril sensitive sunglasses go dark, I won't try it. otherwise I'll give it a chance and get wasted on pan galactic gargle blasters before hand

Hothead, there are not words in existence to describe how pissed off I'll be if you somehow manage to foul this up. Conversely the same can be said about how ecstatic I'll be if you turn this into a truly great game worthy of the brand.

I'll be watching this closely with very high hopes...

It's a great fit studio-wise. I think Adams' humor will shine through quite well.

I wonder which way they'll go with it. Third person? First person- single char/multi char? RPG style groups? First person 'mouse icon changes for interaction'? Basic text base with animations? Possibilities are endless.

Vie:
I don't suppose they could do another Starship Titanic?

Loved that, very annoying, game.

Me too.
I am surprised that they would re-do HGTTG; was the script for it in Adams' archives or something.

It is a great setting with great characters, I hope they move it beyond the original texts/radio plays/tv/movies and beyond text adventure games.

A Vogon Tycoon game could be hilarious.

newwiseman:
I did like the remake of the movie, the original was way to slow paced. A game to further explore the universe could be fun but I doubt it.

remake? I want Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I can't begin to describe the throat-clenching horror that gripped me when I first read the title of this thread, nor the relief I felt when it just turned out to be a remake of the game rather than another movie or nopleaseno another book.
(Not that I've read And Another Thing, and I don't intend to until I'm over my current bout of depression. I doubt it could live up to my unreasonable demands, though - not my expectations, my DEMANDS. I DEMAND that every single line of print be a bar of solid Adamsian goodness with a chewy nougat center. If these demands are not met, I will hurl the book out the window and murder the author with it, perhaps not in that order.)

But just remaking the impossibly old (in computer game years) and relatively obscure Infocom game? Even if it fails, I think this will be mostly harmless.

Ghastly. It all is. Just don't talk about it.

Here, look at this little picture to take your insignificant minds off your digital watches for a nanosecond.

Life. Don't talk to me about life.

Andy Chalk:
This is one of the saddest threads I've ever read.

Why?

I doubt it'll be any good, but I'll certainly hope so.
Happy towel day everybody!!

GraelHart:
I'm torn between my fanboy-ish delight at having a game set in what's easily the most gratifying take on science fiction humour ever and my deep-seated suspicion at an industry that has been systematically axing my childhood memories and charging me for the mangled remains.

Let's call it... cautious optimism.

Replace "industry" with "universe" and that pretty much nails my feelings exactly. I loved the original (increasingly inaccurately-named) trilogy and the game ... but worried this is just a cash-in. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

KnifeyMcStaberson:

newwiseman:

remake? I want Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Ya. The 2005 Movie was basically a compressed version of the 1981 6 episode BBC series. I watched to 2 next to each other and didn't notice anything missing form one to the other. The 2005 movie was significantly shorter, and Mos-Def and Zooey Deschanel added a LOT more character to their roles than their BBC counter parts.

I'd be willing to sit in a theater for the sequels if they where able to get that team back together.

No please! I've just finished the books its too soon to utterly ruin it all!

I suppose if you really want to try that game. You could always click on this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml

I wouldn't though. I wouldn't play anything. It's all very depressing.

newwiseman:
I watched to 2 next to each other and didn't notice anything missing form one to the other.

Apart from the toothbrush, the cheese sandwich, the PoV gun, Marvin's other half, Hot Black Dessiato, the Meal of the Day, The Beetleguisian Death Anthem, The Dreaded Bug Blatter Beast of Traal, Digital Watches (which are still very important), the pocket lint, a cup of really hot tea, Zaphod's other head, The Golgafrincham B Ark and a few ningis that don't exist.

The 2005 movie was significantly shorter, and Mos-Def and Zooey Deschanel added a LOT more character to their roles than their BBC counter parts.

By chewing the scenery at every point during the film. Even Alan Rickman as Marvin was...tepid at best. They managed to re-write a plot based around one man's search for a cup of tea as...oh yeah...one man's search for the love of a good woman.

LIKE EVERY OTHER DAMN HELL LADEN CELLULOID NIGHTMARE THAT GETS SPEWN AT US CONSTANTLY!

*ahem*

No. It wasn't as good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook