Phoenix Wright Objects His Way to the Silver Screen

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Phoenix Wright Objects His Way to the Silver Screen

The evidence is incontrovertible: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is getting a film adaptation.

Several days ago, we reported that veteran Japanese director Takashi Miike had announced that his next project would be a light-hearted courtroom comedy based on a Nintendo DS game. Naturally, we thought of Capcom's excellent Ace Attorney games, though there was no way to be sure.

Now, however, we're sure. Capcom has confirmed that Phoenix Wright will be going to the big screen - in Japan, at any rate.

As previously reported, the film will be directed by Takashi Miike, who is best known for ultraviolent fare like Ichi the Killer and Audition, but who has also directed kids-friendly movies like the live-action Yatterman adaptation. It will star Hiroki Narimiya as defense attorney Phoenix Wright (or "Naruhodo Ryuichi" in Japanese), Takumi Saito as his erstwhile prosecutor rival Miles Edgeworth (Mitsurugi Reiji), and Mirei Kiritan as assistant, sidekick, and spirit medium Maya Fey (Ayasato Mayoi).

The film will be distributed by Toho Co., and is scheduled to hit theaters in Japan next spring.

The Phoenix Wright games are some of my favorite games of all time, so a film adaptation has me a bit giddy. Presumably, this is just an adaptation of the first game in the series, since no casting has been announced for the other primary prosecutors. Either way, though, if they can do the Ace Attorney games justice in film, I'll be a very happy camper.

(Capcom-Unity)

Hell, as long as they're shouting "OBJECTION" all over dramatic like they do in the games then i'm all for it.

I have just recently gotten into the Phoenix Wright series so I'll be looking forward to it. Though, I am uneasy about how it will transfer over.

Yes.

I know I should elaborate, but I don't really think there's a need.

Just-- yes.

No. JUST FUCKING NO.

I'm... optimistic, actually. I hope this turns out well.

Takashi Miike, eh? Well, okay. He's 2 for 3 in my books (I liked Sukiyaki Western Django and Audition, hated Imprint), so I have no objections.

Heh.

Heh heh.

A film about a lawyer who uses deductive reasoning and occult powers to help prove his clients innocent of murders they didnt commit while at the same time finding the real culprit in court. He is helped by the ghost of his murdered mentor and is hampered by a prosecutor determined to kep his 100% conviction rate and a legal system that is in favour of conviction over truth?

See, doesn't sound so unfeasable now doesn't it?

Firehound:
No. JUST FUCKING NO.

Don't worry. This is being made in Japan, so it has a pretty good chance of being great, as opposed to Hollywood which would screw everything up.

Hmmmm.
Iv never seen any of Mr.Takashi's films but i have some hope.
The Death Note movies were all pretty good so who knows.
We could be pleasantly surprised.

Takashi Miike is amazing. I can't wait to see what he does with this.

It's not being made by Hollywood, so at least it has a chance.

Well, I must say, the Ace Attorney series would definitely work as a movie, since they're more about story then actual gameplay.

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!! (somebody had to do it)
I think this movie could turn out pretty good.

Really, what does Phoenix Wright have on the story level that requires a movie? The interesting things about the games are the sorts of things which could not be carried over, and I feel we'd be left with Generic Courtroom Movie, albeit with some occult powers in the mix.

I'm not flat out saying it won't work, but I'm not sure how it could.

I thought Takashi Miike did a good job with the 'Yakuza' movie adaptation, and all his other works are usually awesome, guess we'll have to just wait and see.

The jury is still out on this one, I won't reach a verdict on until I see the trailer.

HankMan:
The jury is still out on this one, I won't reach a verdict on until I see the trailer.

Do you ever NOT make puns?

I don't know anything about this dude, but he sounds like the Japanese version on Robert Rodriguez.

INCREDIBLE news. Miike is one of the most interesting filmmakers working anywhere in the world, and a serious workaholic - for awhile, he was averaging between 3 or 4 feature-length movies PER YEAR.

If you haven't yet had the chance - and can stomach frequently-extreme gore and perversity - you owe it to yourself to check out "Audition," "Dead or Alive" (not the one based on the game, this was a gangster movie) "Ichi The Killer," "Visitor Q," "Gozu" and "Izo" as a good primer. He's also made some pretty excellent (if incredibly bizzare) family-oriented films like "Zebraman" and "The Great Yokai War," plus a live-action version of the anime "Yatterman" that I'm told was pretty good.

EDIT: He also has the ultra-violent Samurai epic, "13 Assassins," currently playing in the U.S. I've seen it, it's AWESOME.

HankMan:

Does the Avatar ever NOT bring balance to the elements?

Please no. The fact that Phoenix is always surrounded by under aged girls would be controversial for a live action adaptation.

Really, what does Phoenix Wright have on the story level that requires a movie? The interesting things about the games are the sorts of things which could not be carried over, and I feel we'd be left with Generic Courtroom Movie, albeit with some occult powers in the mix.

I'm not flat out saying it won't work, but I'm not sure how it could.

Base the first movie off of the storyline of the first game using only the relavent cases (No Steel Samurai or Ema Skye here please, kthx) and then the sequel purely off of this guy

HankMan:

HankMan:

ignore please

Idiot moment

This seems like a good idea, I hope the formula goes like, 2 small cases, while one is being hinted at throughout the movie, then the final SHITGOTREAL case against Edgeworth with mental battles everywhere and Phoenix wins and everyones happy. I'm curious to see who'll play Gumshoe.

Finally, as long as that guy changes his hair to match Phoenix, I have no...

MovieBob:
INCREDIBLE news. Miike is one of the most interesting filmmakers working anywhere in the world, and a serious workaholic - for awhile, he was averaging between 3 or 4 feature-length movies PER YEAR.

If you haven't yet had the chance - and can stomach frequently-extreme gore and perversity - you owe it to yourself to check out "Audition," "Dead or Alive" (not the one based on the game, this was a gangster movie) "Ichi The Killer," "Visitor Q," "Gozu" and "Izo" as a good primer. He's also made some pretty excellent (if incredibly bizzare) family-oriented films like "Zebraman" and "The Great Yokai War," plus a live-action version of the anime "Yatterman" that I'm told was pretty good.

EDIT: He also has the ultra-violent Samurai epic, "13 Assassins," currently playing in the U.S. I've seen it, it's AWESOME.

So you're saying that we can look forward to the murder scenes being 15 minutes long and gory as all hell, Bob? :)

I am going to base my reaction off the Professor Layton movie and its level of quality. It was freaking amazing, by the way.

Seriously, I am freaking excited. Especially if it's a straight adaptation of the first game. I think this could be pretty awesome.

Leonhart321:

HankMan:

And I don't always make puns :P

"By the guy who did the Audition".
Oh god no! *Fetalcurl*
...Please don't remind me of that movie...

HankMan:

HankMan:

Yes, actually. Like, for most of the series XD

First he appears in Desperate Struggle, then he makes Phoenix Wright. This one's a hung jury.

Miike is is a Miixed bag here. On one hand, he did make Yatterman, on the other, he made motherfucking Gozu. GOZU. That will be the most fucked up movie, short of The Pain Olympics.

HankMan:

Yes, actually. Like, for most of the series XD

I didn't either, in my previous incarnation X)

Hmm, it already looks funny. I'll bite.
(Also, Ichi the killer, cool movie.)

Captcha: Objecen this
It's a sign!!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: