Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Orlando Bloom's Legolas from Lord of the Rings has been confirmed for Peter Jackson's upcoming Hobbit film.

Orlando Bloom's portrayal of Legolas in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films had fans scrambling to buy their own light leather armor and learn how to use a bow and arrow. In a move sure to anger the most hardcore of J. R. R. Tolkien's followers, the golden haired member of the Fellowship will return in Jackson's first Hobbit film.

Jackson shared the reveal on his Facebook page. "Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas," he wrote. "I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I'm thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older-and he doesn't! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf."

Great, right? Not for everyone. Legolas doesn't actually appear in the Hobbit book, prompting some responses on Jackson's Facebook page such as: "But Legolas wasn't even mentioned in the book, only his father was and even then the name wasn't used."

Exactly how Jackson will incorporate Legolas isn't yet known. Jackson is presumably creating some kind of bridge between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, though The Hobbit takes place 60 years before the Lord of the Rings trilogy (edit: or just giving Legolas a cameo).

Bloom joins other Lord of the Rings cast members such as Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins, Andy Serkis as Gollum, and Ian McKellen as Gandalf. The first Hobbit film of two is shooting now and scheduled for release in 2012.

Source: Facebook

To be honest, I love Legolas, I'm more than happy to let artistic licence rear it's head this time round. Having said that, I do know several people who are gonna be mighty pissed off at this.

oh no! it's ruined FOREVER!

on a seperate note, everything i hear about this movie makes me think it will be wonderful.

Huh... well, guess we'll see. Hope he knows what he's doing. In theory he could be alive then probably, but still. We'll see.

I didn't take his statement as meaning that Legolas himself will be in the film so much as that we'll be seeing Orlando Bloom. But okay. I'm sure the elitists will freak out no matter what is done, so might as well go big or go home in this case?

Hopefully it's only a cameo style shot in Rivendell, with maybe a line or two. I just don't want him through the entire thing giving Thorin Oakenshield the Gimli role.

Tom Goldman:
"Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas"

You mean ten years ago Orlando Bloom created a worldwide girlboner with his blonde wig.

Yeah pretty much every woman I know is going to drag me to see this movie now.

This confirms my fears that the whole Hobbit movie will be a sad sad sham. Damn you Peter Jackson, DAMN YOU STRAIT TO HELL!

On the other side of the coin, it might not be too bad, but I have a serious problem when movie makers take big liberties with the source materials like this. What they did with LoTR was acceptable but I really can't get behind this kind of change.

Say what? Please tell me this is just a cameo. Guy was the weakest link in the LotR movies.

Hell yes, the return of the worlds greatest female lego person... I mean badass elf guy.

eh, compared to some of the other changes they made to the series, this is downright tame. I'm looking at you Arwen.

Eh, I don't mind. Jackson has proved he has enough interest in the source material to make the right choices.

wasnt the hobbit originally its own story that was retconned into the LOTR universe? i suppose (hope) that legolas is part of jackson trying to add more connectivity to the LOTR movies, though im wary that its just pointless fanservice because orlando/legolas is popular.

Well, they do pass through Mirkwood, so so long as it's not much more than a cameo, I'm happy about it. :D

This whole article is pointless. While he's not mentioned by name, he is infact mentioned in the book; as he is a Prince of Mirkwood and his father plays a MASSIVE part in the third act. I recall the book mentioning Thranduil's sons specifically. In fact, I even recall a quote where Thranduil says something along the lines of Bilbo being more deserving of the title of "Prince" than his sons, who happen to be standing next to him.
Call me a hardcore hobbit nerd, but those idiots on facebook don't know what they are talking about.

Wonder if he will have pimples and braces...guess he was a rather young elf in lotr? so 60 years ago he should be teenagerish? ;P

Johnnyallstar:
Hopefully it's only a cameo style shot in Rivendell, with maybe a line or two. I just don't want him through the entire thing giving Thorin Oakenshield the Gimli role.

As I recall Bilbo and the Dwarves traveled through the forest that Legolas dad owns. This means he could show up in background or possibly even speak a few lines and still be very faithful to the book.

Part of the Hobbit takes place in Mirkwood. Legolas is the Prince of Mirkwood. As long as Legolas only shows up in Mirkwood I see no problem here. (Although I fear that he may be thrown in at the final battle of the Hobbit fighting with the elves).

Eh, I trust Peter Jackson on this. I very much liked the movies, regardless of their inconsistencies/omissions from the book (which to be fair, many did make sense for the movie).

dstreet121:
Part of the Hobbit takes place in Mirkwood. Legolas is the Prince of Mirkwood. As long as Legolas only shows up in Mirkwood I see no problem here. (Although I fear that he may be thrown in at the final battle of the Hobbit fighting with the elves).

Why would you fear that? His sons (or at least one of them) accompany Thranduil and his army of elves during those last scenes.

Johnnyallstar:

I would imagine it would probably be in Mirkwood (if memory serves me Legolas' Dad was the King during and after The Hobbit) and have a larger (but still small) role in the second film (the one that's presumably going to play into Fellowship)

Yes, Orlando Bloom created Legolas.

I know what he was trying to say, but the actual statement Jackson made just rankles regardless.

goddammit, he's so pretty. he made the rest of the movies look ugly. what are you up to, jackson? what is your game?

To_Sirius:

dstreet121:

Why would you fear that? His sons (or at least one of them) accompany Thranduil and his army of elves during those last scenes.

Your right, never mind. I forgot about that, proves what I know.

This isn't a good idea but it won't have any impact on the quality of the film. Just pointless marketing to excite the average fans of the movies.

RivFader86:
Wonder if he will have pimples and braces...guess he was a rather young elf in lotr? so 60 years ago he should be teenagerish? ;P

By the time of LotR, Legolas is 700 years old so unless he spent the other 650 years as an infant, I doubt it :P
source: top trumps cards >.<

Also, I think it would be really cool if he appeared just as an extra -- no camera to zoom in on him or anything, no lines and no badassery -- he should just stand about in a couple of moments and that should be it.

That would be cool.

Orlando Bloomin Onion makes movies bad.....

On the bright side, Mark Walburg might not be in the Uncharted movie with the director backing out, so maybe this is the universe balancing itself out?

I am a pretty hardcore fan of Tolkien's original works - and I have to say - writing Legolas in isn't that huge of a departure or that infeasible in the continuity of the events of the Hobbit. Bilbo goes to the halls of Thranduil for goodness sake.

Several of Peter Jackson's alterations to The Lord of the Rings (e.g. Arwen, Osgiliath, Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch King, the ridiculousness that Treebeard wouldn't know what Saruman was up to in his own forest, etc., etc.) were much more inflammatory than this and, even so, I'll be the first to argue that Mr. Jackson has handled enough of the content from the books with deference and respect to warrant a few liberties like this here and there.

Still, all will be forgiven if he includes Beorn :D

...The reason I liked Jackson's LotR movies was because he was fairly faithful to the books. Understandably he had to cut some scenes (and completely ruined the character of Faramir, which I will never forgive him for -_-), but overall he stayed faithful.

I don't get why he would want to write in Legolas when he wasn't in the Hobbit. Don't get me wrong, I liked Bloom in the trilogy, but he has no place in the Hobbit. Unless it's like a 5 minute kind of hanging out in the background thing.

I'm just a stickler for details like that though.

Herman Zindler:
I am a pretty hardcore fan of Tolkien's original works - and I have to say - writing Legolas in isn't that huge of a departure or that infeasible in the continuity of the events of the Hobbit. Bilbo goes to the halls of Thranduil for goodness sake.

Several of Peter Jackson's alterations to The Lord of the Rings (e.g. Arwen, Osgiliath, Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch King, the ridiculousness that Treebeard wouldn't know what Saruman was up to in his own forest, etc., etc.) were much more inflammatory than this and, even so, I'll be the first to argue that Mr. Jackson has handled enough of the content from the books with deference and respect to warrant a few liberties like this here and there.

Still, all will be forgiven if he includes Beorn :D

Beorn is confirmed and will be played by Mikael Persbrandt.
*nerdgasm*

To_Sirius:
Beorn is confirmed and will be played by Mikael Persbrandt.
*nerdgasm*

Thanks for good news! I am very satisfied now. :)

Legolas is there, and back again. :)

Sigh... I am disappoint after busting out such a great trilogy who'd a thunk Pete would sink so low.

To_Sirius:
This whole article is pointless. While he's not mentioned by name, he is infact mentioned in the book; as he is a Prince of Mirkwood and his father plays a MASSIVE part in the third act. I recall the book mentioning Thranduil's sons specifically. In fact, I even recall a quote where Thranduil says something along the lines of Bilbo being more deserving of the title of "Prince" than his sons, who happen to be standing next to him.
Call me a hardcore hobbit nerd, but those idiots on facebook don't know what they are talking about.

was thinking the exact same thing, people need to read the damn book before they go off on a character being where they think he shouldnt be. Hell i think the only knowledge of the hobbit is what they hear from others and maybe seeing the cartoon years ago.

An 'iconic character'? Bloom, without a doubt one of the worst overactors out there right now, came to a character in the books who comes across as a mild mannered, articulate ponce, who largely fights from a distance, and with the aid of gratuitous special effects turned him into a brooding, unsubtle lout who pulls off all kinds of ridiculous ninja moves in battle. It was without a doubt the single worst part of the trilogy for me, in an adaptation that I overall enjoyed.

Knowing Jackson, he'll find a way to shoehorn some more Shaolin monk style combat with Bloom into the films, probably during the Battle of the Five Armies, and it will stick out like a rhinoceros in drag.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here