Rumor: Sony Unveiling NGP as PS Vita

Pages PREV 1 2

OH GOD! (The sad thing is I still use that on my Desktop... And I don't think it is as bad as people say...)

But seriously- Why choose the name Vista? Now I'm not sure if people are going to be refuring to the biggest OS fail sense Microsoft ME- or the PSPs sucessor...

sounds stupid, yes, but it is way better than just being "NGP: Next Generation Portable"

Simalacrum:
...Thats a stupid name, I'll be honest.

Why not just go with the usual way of things and go with PSP2?

Wii

Xbox 360

Gamecube

Dreamcast

I thought we were past the age of making fun of console names, I mean really?

So what will the Acronym be ?

PVP - PlayStation Vita Portable
PVC - PlayStation Vita Console
PVNG3DSAKPGU - Playstaion Vita ,Next Generation, 3DS Ass Kicking, Portable Gaming Unit (nah thats way to long)

Ya know what's also a terrible Name? Wii. I mean it sounds like the euphemism for pee! A much better name is Nintendo revolution that was the name they were going with before the official release. Wait. What year is it again?

Googooguru:
So what will the Acronym be ?

PVP - PlayStation Vita Portable
PVC - PlayStation Vita Console
PVNG3DSAKPGU - Playstaion Vita ,Next Generation, 3DS Ass Kicking, Portable Gaming Unit (nah thats way to long)

PVP sounds better, but it would constantly remind me of MMO's, even though I've never even touched one in my entire life.

Sony, what the hell is wrong with you? It should be named "PSP2" and that's it. PSP2 rolls off the tongue just right. NGP doesn't really, but it was better than this. And I panned the name when it first was announced. This, for many, brings back bad memories of Vista. I didn't have many bad memories of Vista...

CannibalRobots:

Simalacrum:
...Thats a stupid name, I'll be honest.

Why not just go with the usual way of things and go with PSP2?

Wii

Xbox 360

Gamecube

Dreamcast

I thought we were past the age of making fun of console names, I mean really?

...Out of all those names only 1 of them isn't good (in my opinion) - the other ones roll off your tongue quite nicely, even Xbox 360, so long as you use either "Xbox" or "360" separately. :P

Besides, are we not allowed to have opinions over the names of products anymore? And since when was I "making fun" of the name? I was just proclaiming my opinion that its a bad name for a product.

OutrageousEmu:

SomethingAmazing:
Vita huh?

Is it is going to be buggy, universally crappier than its predecessor and have outrageous system requirements?

Removing an S makes a lot of difference, dude.

Like in the sentence "I will bring laughter to the people".

I loled. (Possibly because its 2:30 am and I'm still awake.)

OT: Name is meh. I always thought Sony had the right idea. Screw the whole new name each generation thing, just number the bloody things and move on.

ProfessorLayton:
How do you know that's not an Italian ad and it's really the PSP Life?

PSP Life sounds just as bad though. It just doesn't fit together.
Terrible-ness of the name won't stop me from possibly buying it, it will just keep me from ever calling it by it's real name.

Just name it PSP2 or NGP... Sounds better than... PS Vita... As many have pointed out before, it's too close to the word Vista... Which brings horrible memories to alot of people...

My first thought:
VS PITA

Also, Vita is in this case most likely taken from Latin, and not Italian. (although it's correct in Italian as well, but Italian isn't as old and fancy)

EDIT: They probably won't name it the PSP2 because of the 3DS, since people can actually get confused and think its one generation behind (PSP2 < 3DS). The same reason why Microsoft named their new Xbox 360 instead of Xbox2 when it was competing with the PS3. (although this time, Sony seems to skip the whole number scenario and just go with a fancy name instead)

I can see it now from the uninformed masses.

"PSV? What happened to the PSIV? Does this mean my PS3 is obsolete?"

Since PGP stood for "Pretty Good Privacy", I think Sony already unveiled their NGP.

What's wrong with PSP2? It's what they've always done...

While I preferred NGP, having a console named Next Generation Portable in 5 years will just be stupid. Plus I imagine it'll be nicknamed PSV from now on and apart from the dutch soccer team, there's nothing to get confused with.

It's going to fail, mobile hardware in tablets and phones is moving to fast. Six months after launch most new mobiles and tablets will be able to play games that look better and if more companies release phones with slide out gamepads like the experia play it's doomed.

NLS:
EDIT: They probably won't name it the PSP2 because of the 3DS, since people can actually get confused and think its one generation behind (PSP2 < 3DS). The same reason why Microsoft named their new Xbox 360 instead of Xbox2 when it was competing with the PS3. (although this time, Sony seems to skip the whole number scenario and just go with a fancy name instead)

Sensible, logical.

People are sheep, after all.

Also, PSV works, in a way. (the fifth in the family, anyway)

forsinain42:
TOO CLOSE TO VISTA FOR COMFORT!!

I'll wait for the next one. Psp7. :p

That's the first thought that crossed my mind too...

What a crappy name!!!!!

Sony....PLEASE hire a marketing rep!!!!!

elilupe:
PSP Life sounds just as bad though. It just doesn't fit together.
Terrible-ness of the name won't stop me from possibly buying it, it will just keep me from ever calling it by it's real name.

Yeah I'm probably going to end up with one as well, despite how stupid the name is. It'll probably grow on me like Kinect did, though.

Vita? Whoops, sounds too much like Vista - one of the worst OS's in history. Probably a bad marketing move.

Why is it that companies drop what are, frankly awesome working names for products in development in exchange for awful ones. First Revolution changed to Wii, and now NGP changes to PSVita.

Hgame:
Why is it that companies drop what are, frankly awesome working names for products in development in exchange for awful ones. First Revolution changed to Wii, and now NGP changes to PSVita.

Nintendo Revolution is too long and Next Generation Portable will make no sense in a few years to come.

PSV? I like, I like very much.

PSP2 isn't a bad na,e. I mean, I'll keep calling it PSP regardless, but Vita?
Think of something else please.

sublight:
Since PGP stood for "Pretty Good Privacy", I think Sony already unveiled their NGP.

Pffft, HAH! That was awesome xD

So do I get the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play smart phone or do I wait for this if it gives a phone option? pee-es-vee sort of sounds like an std... ACRONYMS!

Hmm. Well PSV is admittedly an awesome acronym (especially with it being the '5th' console) but Vita....actually PSVita, sounds kinda awesome to me. Maybe I'm weird. Of course, whether it is called the PlaySstationVita. PlayStationPortable2, PlayStationV or NGP is irrelevant if it's fun to play on it. I couldn't care about the name so long as the system is good....hopefully.

John Funk:
PS... Vita?

I guess I've heard weirder.

Dammit, now I hope the similarity spawns a Nanoha themed cover for the PSV (assuming that's it's actual name).
Regardless of the kinda silly name, I'll be buying it. The 3G capabilities sold it for me and I have this strange, nagging suspicion that we may see Persona 4 Portable on it.

Meh, I've not been following this at ALL because I'm perfectly happy with my psp, but this doesn't ring true... In 2 weeks we'll know anyway...

Handhelds and the games for them just cost too much.

Meh. I bought a PSP white. An about 15 games and i was bored shitless. I bought all the GTA games among other and just found zero interest in it all. An i love the GTA's series. Vita? Will be more of the same with extras. To me its like the new Iphone - a lot of crap i dont want. My phone is old, but all i want is for it to do its job....Txt and phone calls. I dont want any more than that. The PS Vita will try and do everything and will not be good at nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here