Old Spice Guy Appears in Mysterious Superhero Video

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Old Spice Guy Appears in Mysterious Superhero Video

Look down, back up, now look again, the Old Spice Guy now has skin as hard as diamonds.

Isaiah Mustafa, perhaps better known as the Old Spice Guy, has not been shy about his desire to play a movie version of the superhero Luke Cage, and now it seems like he's getting his wish. Well, sort of, as this movie, which presents itself as a trailer for a much longer film, seems to be homemade.

Luke Cage was notable for being one of the first African-American superheroes to get his own monthly comic. In the comics, Cage was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and in order to get an early parole, he agrees to take part in an experimental procedure. The procedure is supposed to make him immune to all disease, but naturally things do not go as planned, and rather than make him germ-proof it gives him super-strength and unbreakable skin. Cage escapes from prison and sets himself up as a hero for hire, taking cases like a super powered private detective.

The video clearly isn't an official Marvel production - there's nowhere near enough branding for that to be the case - so it's something of a mystery as to exactly what it is. It's possible that Mustafa put it together himself as some kind of audition tape or demonstration that he'd be good for the role, not too dissimilar from what Kevin Tancharoen did with Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. Whether it will actually land him the part - and a Luke Cage movie is supposedly in development - remains to be seen, but it looks like he'd be a pretty solid choice.

Source: Bleeding Cool

They cannot possibly make something as cool as that...
It has to be a spoof. It just has too.

Sadly, I think the whole old spice guy thing will make it impossible for me to take him seriously. I'm sure he's a fine actor but I'd just spend the entire time sniggering like Muttley. Still, good luck to him.

Please, Please, Please give him that role. A talent (and body) like that cannot go unused.

Or maybe he can play Steel. At least he'd be better than Shaquille O'Neal.

Internet powers ACTIVATE!

Logan Westbrook:
The video clearly isn't an official Marvel production - there's nowhere near enough branding for that to be the case - so it's something of a mystery as to exactly what it is. It's possible that Mustafa put it together himself as some kind of audition tape or demonstration that he'd be good for the role, not too dissimilar from what Kevin Tancharoen did with Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. Whether it will actually land him the part - and a Luke Cage movie is supposedly in development - remains to be seen, but it looks like he'd be a pretty solid choice.

When you smell like a man, anything is possible.
All this trailer needed was a shot of the villain using Axe body spray.

Let him have his role at least for now; if it doesn't work out, it'll be a shame, but that's movies.

'Sides, I think he can be badass. I think he sounds and looks pretty good, especially for someone who made his name in one advert.

Trailer:
"The world will know me as Luke Cage"

It's a crying shame, but I don't think the world will ever know him as anything other that "The Old Spice Guy".

Your superhero movies are now

I'm looking forward to seeing how he acts. I could see it working well.

If it weren't for the Old Spice adverts he wouldn't be there now.

"Look down, look back up, your now with the guy, with the strength your man can't get. What's in your hand? I have it. It's the amount of money I was paid for this trailer. Anything's possible when you're in a viral advert and not on actual television. I'm in a film now."

thenumberthirteen:
Please, Please, Please give him that role. A talent (and body) like that cannot go unused.

What the [email protected]? When I saw your link I thought this was a big joke or something.

I mean I'm a HUGE comic book fan and I'm SHOCKED I never heard of this movie.

EDIT: I'd love to see OSG play Luke Cage.

Quiet Stranger:

thenumberthirteen:

What the [email protected]? When I saw your link I thought this was a big joke or something.

That film WAS a big joke.

He'd make an excellent Luke Cage the only other actor I could see that would be as good a fit for the role would be Terry Crews. If they do put Luke Cage on the big screen though Id much rather see in a Powerman and Iron Fist movie rather than a solo film.

Quiet Stranger:

thenumberthirteen:

I mean I'm a HUGE comic book fan and I'm SHOCKED I never heard of this movie.

You should check out this review: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/9031-steel

It's the only thing to come out of that Steel movie that was actually entertaining...

Wow...Luke Cage is the man my man could smell like...XD Oh if they put something as awesome as that trailer into a film then...Ah but they won't. Also I reckon that guy's a good actor but...I can't get Old Spice out of my head...

That really pissed look he gave 0:25 looks more like he's surpressing a laugh

If Jim Carey has taught us anything, it's that anyone can be taken seriously if they are a good enough actor. I want to find out if this will be the case here. He deserves a shot - his fan base is huge! There are people who might not otherwise see this movie who would see it just to see how he does.

For those that wanted something with a bit more marvel branding on it.

Hope he does a good job in the role, at least the movie got good meme potential I guess. =p

Bobic:
Sadly, I think the whole old spice guy thing will make it impossible for me to take him seriously. I'm sure he's a fine actor but I'd just spend the entire time sniggering like Muttley. Still, good luck to him.

That is precisely the thought I had. I will be thinking of the commercials the entire time.

Old Spice: The Movie.

Shouldn't he put on some weight? I know, I know, he may be a bit on the tall side, but still. He reminds me way too much of Hugh Jackman as wolverine, not that that is a bad thing. Maybe he has the acting chops to pull that off...if Marvel bits on this thing.

You know what would be funny. If they hired a White guy to play Luke Cage.

Just do it Marvel. Now. Right now. This second.

Please Internet/Hollywood, make it so. The universe needs the manliness.

Marvel:

Because, we're awesome.

If this movie is made and at he doesnt say

MY SKIN IS NOW DIAMONDS

I will be very dissapointed

Will his superpower be smelling really good?

problem is the guy has become a meme by now. It's impossible to watch this trailer and take it seriously when the old spice ad (and all its spoofs) come flashing at you everytime you see his face.

That looked pretty good. He nailed the voice, he just needs to bulk up a little bit and he´d be okay for the part. But i still think people will have a hard time seeing him as Luke Cage. The Old Spice ads are a blessing and a curse for his career at the same time.

Make it so Stan Lee

(and Luke Cage would so wear Old Spice)

This is going to be brilliant if anything comes of it. :D
Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!!!!!

It's very hard to take it seriously, but I'm pretty sure he'll be great.

EDITED note* Look at 25 seconds in the video and tell me that isn't a "old spice look".

Look at your superhero movies! Now look at me! I am not in your superhero movies. Now look at this trailer. It shows you what your superhero movies could be if I were in them. Now look back it me. Nope, still not in your superhero movies. Getting fawned over by women of all ages.

...no, but seriously, I could totally see this working. He'd have to bulk up a little for the role, but I could see him doing it.

You know, seeing how I don't even know what Old Spice is, what with me living in a country that doesn't have it, I don't know the guy. Or his TV spots. All I can say is that he doesn't look half bad as Luke Cage, and he seems to be enjoying himself in that short trailer, which is always a good sign.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here