The Witcher 2 Coming to Xbox 360, EA Comes to GOG

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 2 Coming to Xbox 360, EA Comes to GOG

CD Projekt has confirmed that The Witcher 2 is coming to the Xbox 360 and finally revealed the identity of the latest publisher to give it up for GOG.

The Witcher 2 is a big success for CD Projekt, not just critically but commercially too. At today's CD Projekt Summer Days conference the publisher revealed that 400,000 copies of the game had sold in the first week alone, a far cry from Call of Duty numbers but an absolute blockbuster for a PC-exclusive RPG. But it won't be a PC exclusive for long.

The console version of The Witcher 2 has been one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry, but today CD Projekt made it official: the game is being developed for the Xbox 360 and will be out by the end of the year. The 360 version will include all the updates and tweaks available for the PC and while it won't be able to match the full-out visual glory of the PC edition, CD Projekt promised that it will still be a gorgeous game. "It's not about the size of your texture, it's how you use them," the studio explained.

Speaking of improvements, a new patch that takes the game to version 1.2 will be released tomorrow, June 3. The update will feature numerous fixes and balance tweaks, easing the difficulty of the tutorial section [for those who need it], improving the target locking mechanic, fixing issues with importing saved games from the original Witcher and much more. The patch will also add all previously-released retailer-specific DLC and, if that wasn't enough, a brand-new feature called "Barbers and Coiffeurs" that will let Geralt impress the ladies with some fresh, sexy new do's.

On the GOG side of the coin, CD Projekt announced that the service has signed a deal with none other than Electronic Arts and will be adding 25 classic titles from the EA catalog to its lineup. Sadly, due to some infamously Byzantine ownership rights issues, neither System Shock nor Syndicate will be coming to GOG [at least not right away] but it is nonetheless starting things off with a real bang: the first three EA titles to hit the virtual shelves are Privateer, Dungeon Keeper and the ultra-classic RPG Ultima Underworld.

The Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 is scheduled for release by the end of the year but in the meantime you can whet your appetite with the 360 launch trailer in glorious hi-def at GameTrailers.com!

OK, someone has to ask.

PS3? In the Love and Blood trailer you teased us, oh so much CD Projekt. I would love to get the game for my laptop, but at the same time, I don't want it to melt. Maybe go a little easy on the minimum requirements next time? So, I'm stuck with PS3 for the time being. Please bring it to PS3 not too late after 360.

Oh good cthulu yes. I can't wait for this.

Why not? I'll even pre-order it, too.

Lemme see what all the fuss is about. At least, narratively.

The gameplay sounds like it's anti-hoarding. I usually never drink many potions in RPGs...this is going to force me to, from the sounds of it. I prefer to sell them. That makes me sad...

Well good for the Xboxers, i say! Let them also enjoy this.

But i have a question (might sounds stupid, but i really have no idea): why is news of GOG included in news about The Witcher 2? Does CD project own GOG or vice versa, or is it a part of it? I have no idea whatsoever.

Sweet! I'm definitely going to get it.

Owlslayer:

But i have a question (might sounds stupid, but i really have no idea): why is news of GOG included in news about The Witcher 2? Does CD project own GOG or vice versa, or is it a part of it? I have no idea whatsoever.

Yeah. They run GOG.

All I wonder is won't the combat be fairly annoying on the console? I mean, there are so many buttons and the likes on the PC that are used, while the common controller doesn't even have half the input usage capabilities.

Onyx Oblivion:

The gameplay sounds like it's anti-hoarding. I usually never drink many potions in RPGs...this is going to force me to, from the sounds of it. I prefer to sell them. That makes me sad...

They aren't really needed, but they do tip the edge in your favor.

And the Master Race will come saying how it will inevitably be "dumbed down" for the "console crowd" in 3...2...1....

Fantastic, I loved the first one and my pc is a literal pile of ass, so it's on.

No deal. I'll get Witcher 2 once I get a gaming PC, if only because I feel like I'm missing out on the story.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
OK, someone has to ask.

PS3? In the Love and Blood trailer you teased us, oh so much CD Projekt. I would love to get the game for my laptop, but at the same time, I don't want it to melt. Maybe go a little easy on the minimum requirements next time? So, I'm stuck with PS3 for the time being. Please bring it to PS3 not too late after 360.

Everyone ports to 360 first because 360 is the console trying to be a PC. Developing for the console isn't significantly different, unlike the PS3 with its cell processor.

PC version is perfect with a controller once you get used to it, so I don't think that they will have any problems with that side of it at least. More Witcher to go around. Question is, is it going to include all of those extra goodies that came with PC version?

While this is great for people who have 360s and couldnt afford a good gaming PC. Its not fucking good for PS3 users who cant afford a good gaming PC.
It'd be such a shame if they didnt put it on PS3 too. I for one would be incredibly pissed, I LOVE the look of this game.
So much for equality

No PS3 version? Ah well. :/

I'll play this game on PC, but glad more gamers can get their hands on it!

I will be buying this... oh, YES!

Well good for 360 owners. Your all in for a treat.

Onyx Oblivion:

Owlslayer:

Yeah. They run GOG.

Not exactly. CD Projekt Red and GoG are two companies under a larger umbrella. CD Projekt is the largest publisher in Poland. CDPR is its development studio, and GoG is another studio they run. So more like sister companies under a larger company.

Calico93:
While this is great for people who have 360s and couldnt afford a good gaming PC. Its not fucking good for PS3 users who cant afford a good gaming PC.
It'd be such a shame if they didnt put it on PS3 too. I for one would be incredibly pissed, I LOVE the look of this game.
So much for equality

CD Projekt Red is a small studio. They're working on a "one console at a time" model. They made the PC version first, now they're focusing on making the game work on the 360, and then will make it work on the PS3. Reason why they do this instead of doing it all at once is because they're a smaller studio, and don't have the manpower to do all at once.

GOG is DD done right. Valve should pay attention.

This seems like something Microsoft would have wanted to save until E3 next week. I wonder why they didn't...

Sounds great to me. I know I'll be buying it.

Onyx Oblivion:

You don't have to drink potions. In fact, even if you do want to, you can't do that in the middle of a battle. Geralt literally has to meditate after taking a potion and the effect lasts for around 10 minutes.

Mr. Omega:
And the Master Race will come saying how it will inevitably be "dumbed down" for the "console crowd" in 3...2...1....

That was uncalled for... The Witcher 2 is actually rather gamepad-friendly (radial menus, auto-locking system, etc) and it shows that CD Projekt had the console control schematic in mind when designing the combat. But there's hasn't been any PC gamer bitching about it because it was an improvement over the original one and it flowed rather well.

And what do you mean by dumbing down? We already have our version, and if there are changes in the console version, why should it bother us? Have we ever bitched about aim-assist on a console FPS?

Edit: Hell, so far, all PC gamers have to say is 'more Witcher to go around'.

Please for all that is holy release privateer 2. One of the best games of the genre.

Also does anyone else think all the 90s full motion video cutscenes are hilarious? (see mark hamil in wing commander 3)

Mr. Omega:

We don't actually care if a game gets "dumbed down" for consoles unless the PC release suffers as a result. And The Witcher 2 is not simple. It's just as complex and unintuitive as the original so everyone is perfectly pleased.

screwvalve:
GOG is DD done right. Valve should pay attention.

I'm fairly certain Valve have the whole digital distribution thing under control. They don't need to take pointers from anyone.

Raiyan 1.0:

Onyx Oblivion:

You don't have to drink potions. In fact, even if you do want to, you can't do that in the middle of a battle. Geralt literally has to meditate after taking a potion and the effect lasts for around 10 minutes.

Mr. Omega:

That was unwarranted... The Witcher 2 is actually rather gamepad-friendly (radial menus, auto-locking system, etc) and it shows that CD Projekt had the console control schematic in mind when designing the combat. But there's hasn't been any PC gamer bitching about it because it was an improvement over the original one and it flowed rather well.

And what do you mean by dumbing down? We already have our version, and if there are changes in the console version, why should it bother us? Have we ever bitched about aim-assist on a console FPS?

I seen plenty of people bitching about Witcher 2 playing like a console game with its user interface, I even seen people complain about the combat compared to the first one believe it or not. I can't say either way, Witcher One's combat wasn't too terrible, it was actually probably better than average for RPGS, was less tedious than many of them. I have no clue what I will think of Witcher 2's combat until I play it on consoles. Combat unlike voice actiing, writing, music, etc I can't say if it is good or bad until I try it myself.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Please for all that is holy release privateer 2. One of the best games of the genre.

Also does anyone else think all the 90s full motion video cutscenes are hilarious? (see mark hamil in wing commander 3)

You rang for cutscenes?

Defense:
No deal. I'll get Witcher 2 once I get a gaming PC, if only because I feel like I'm missing out on the story.

GeneticallyModifiedDucks:
OK, someone has to ask.

Everyone ports to 360 first because 360 is the console trying to be a PC. Developing for the console isn't significantly different, unlike the PS3 with its cell processor.

actually its more like a PC trying to be a console but your reasoning is sound :P

thenamelessloser:
I seen plenty of people bitching about Witcher 2 playing like a console game with its user interface, I even seen people complain about the combat compared to the first one believe it or not. I can't say either way, Witcher One's combat wasn't too terrible, it was actually probably better than average for RPGS, was less tedious than many of them. I have no clue what I will think of Witcher 2's combat until I play it on consoles. Combat unlike voice actiing, writing, music, etc I can't say if it is good or bad until I try it myself.

to be fair the fact that it's obvious from some of the menus it's been made with consoles in mind is not the source of the problems with interface.

the two separate.

for example there is a tab sorted inventory system which while fine to use (and on a PC has the benefit of drag and drop functionality) does not have a "junk" tab which means that you have to click on "all" and scroll down through every single thing you are carrying just to clear out items clearly labelled as "junk" in pursuit of managing your carried weight. its clunky and annoying (especially given "junk" is the item type you always want to be clearing out) but the problem with it has has nothing to do with the console friendly design aspirations of a tab sorted inventory: the problem is they didn't add a "junk" tab.

in short, as i said, the deduction of one and the complains about the other are in most cases separate issues.

Onyx Oblivion:

You can't sell most of a Witcher's potions to other people. Potion in the Witcher world is just a polite way of saying poison. Only Witcher's and maybe some high level magic-y types could use them. Everyone else is boned.

Soviet Heavy:

rembrandtqeinstein:

You rang for cutscenes?

That was still better than episode 1 2 and 3 combined

rembrandtqeinstein:

Soviet Heavy:

rembrandtqeinstein:

You rang for cutscenes?

That was still better than episode 1 2 and 3 combined

Even with the mentally retarded Twilek?

Anyways, I've digressed. This is good news for console gamers, and great news for GOG players.

thenamelessloser:

I seen plenty of people bitching about Witcher 2 playing like a console game with its user interface, I even seen people complain about the combat compared to the first one believe it or not.

Funny, I came across maybe one or two people complaining about TW2's combat... but a large number (just look at the 12 pages' worth of defense for the game on Greg Tito's review) have been largely positive. Hell, even Metacritic user review shows a score of 8.8. I'm sure the naysayers are in the minority.

TW2 had a lot of issues - lack of 4:3 resolution support, Nvidia 3D driver issues, etc, but combat - at least for me - wasn't one of them.

Mr. Omega:

Actually, since it came for PC first this isn't really a big issue. PC gamers get annoyed at games being made on a computer, ported to a console and ported back to work on a computer. That's why Crysis 2 got worse graphics that the original Crysis.

Great to see this getting spread around the platforms, too bad for all the PS3 users out there, maybe Witcher 3 will come... hopefully there will be a PS4 by then...

sunburst313:

I'm fairly certain Valve have the whole digital distribution thing under control. They don't need to take pointers from anyone.

Yeah, if by under control you mean locked down at the consumer's expense. Steam is nothing but a glorified rental service. GoG actually lets you own, make copies and install separatedly all downloads.

So what will happen with the dwarves who sarcastically comment on Geralt's hairstyle now (i.e., "nice ponytail") if we get the option of changing it? Not that I'm necessarily opposed to additional customization of an otherwise static character - I loved that there were so many more armor options this time around (even though some of them were only available via crafting recipes a stat-oriented player wouldn't have any reason to make when say... it was found in the same room as a set with the same armor value and another crafting recipe to make "the best armor in the game" out of that set and some other ingredients), and the sidequest in chapter 1 where you can end up with a drunkenly acquired (and rather unwanted by Geralt) neck tattoo was hilarious - so much so that when a glitch somehow resulted in the tattoo no longer displaying despite indications that it was still there, I purposely went back to an older save to bring it back (it thankfully never disappeared again from that point on, even as Geralt continued to have dialog options asking various mages he meets about how to remove it, heh).

So I can see how having the option to customize his hairstyle would be sort of neat, though I'm not really inclined towards utilizing that option myself at the moment - I really like how Geralt's hair looks now, as compared to what it was in the first game, and the hairstyle is part of the character design; there are animations in the boxing mini-games that simply don't make sense if you aren't sporting a ponytail for instance. Still, color me curious at the very least, and tossing all the various retailer-exclusive DLC content our way is a nice move as well: when they put forward the stop-gap measure of sending an email to a customized address to get the DLC you couldn't download thanks to server issues, I was halfway tempted to email all the addresses instead of just the ones for the DLC I actually was supposed to have available, but decided against it since I didn't really need them and it would have been "abusing the system", even though I think that retailer specific bonus content is kind of a retarded system to begin with. If they want to give me all of that content just because though, well I'm certainly not complaining!

What I really want to know is whether support for different aspect ratios is in this patch, or if we'll have to wait on that feature (I've seen reps from the company mention that they're planning on supporting 4:3 and 16:10 at some point, would be nice if it was tomorrow though instead of "to be determined", heh).

Edit: They posted the full change log in advance on their site and it looks like support for aspect ratios other than 16:9 isn't going to be in this patch. Oh well!

While this doesn't concern me since I have been experiencing The Witcher 2's glory on PC... CD Projekt's commitments to their products is making them one of my favorite developers.

I BADLY want to support GOG.com by purchasing new games on it... but it's just not as convenient as Steam.. It would also mess up my nice consolidated gaming library I have built up...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.