Survey: 1 in 4 Gamers Shows Interest in New Consoles

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Survey: 1 in 4 Gamers Shows Interest in New Consoles

A quarter of gamers said they would buy a new console from Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo if it were released in the next two years.

Nintendo is heavily expected to kick off the next "next generation" of consoles this year at E3 with its mysterious "Project Cafe," but while the Wii (at least) could desperately use some new hardware it's less certain how gamers will react.

A new Neilsen survey attempts to shed light on precisely that, by asking gamers everywhere two questions covering a wide range of platforms: 1.) Do they believe a successor to (Insert Platform Here) will be coming in the next two years, and 2.) Would they be interested in purchasing it within six months of release?

The answers were fairly similar for all of the "Big Three." 47% of people believed that Nintendo's new hardware would show up in the next two years, compared to 40% and 37% for a successor to the Xbox 360 and PS3, respectively. Roughly a quarter of all gamers surveyed said they would buy one of the hypothetical systems within six months of release - 27% for a new Nintendo console, 25% for a new Microsoft console, and 24% for a new Sony console.

18% said they would be interested in purchasing a new gaming-centric iPad, equal to the 18% of gamers who said they would be interested in a hypothetical followup to Nintendo's recent 3DS - which, if you're assuming it's a "3DS Lite" hardware revision, isn't out of the question. In comparison, only 13% of those surveyed said they were interested in Sony's NGP.

While the Wii's successor was marginally ahead in the overall polls, Neilsen found that gamers who owned both a Wii and one of the other consoles were less likely to want to buy Nintendo's next console as they were a successor to its partner: When it came to Wii/Xbox 360 owners, 46% said they would be interested in buying a new Xbox as opposed to only 37% for Nintendo's next showing. The numbers were slightly closer with Wii/PS3 owners, 44% of whom expressed interest in a new PlayStation, against 40% who were interested in the next Wii.

Of course, this is purely theoretical. Real interest will be driven by features, games, and price, which are all completely up in the air at this point.

We'll learn more next week at E3.

(Gamasutra)

Would and Want are two completely different things.
I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360 thankyouverymuch!

I think we're at a unique crossroads in the medium of gaming.

It's no longer really about how good the games look, it's about what you can do.
The same thing has happened in the visual arts. It's no longer about getting the painting to photo realism it's about the expression. I don't particularly care for a new console. Maybe in a few years but two would be too soon.

Push the current gen some more.

I'm happy with this current generations. Companies seem to finally be able to reach the limitations so hopefully they can push the technology as far as they can go before we get a new generation. I'm all for a new PS4 or x-box infinity divided by zero, but I can't afford it. So untill that day, I'd be happy with what I got.

I'd only potentially be interested in a new Nintendo console, and that's only if it seems to do something cool, new and interesting with an impressive lineup of games that I can't get on PC.

I'm curious to see what Nintendo cooks up for its next console, whether I get it or not though. I imagine they'll give me a pleasant surprise or two.

"Real interest will be driven by features, games, and price, which are all completely up in the air at this point."

And that sums up why I think this survey is a waste of time. Sure, lots of people were INTERESTED in the PS3...

INTEREST and WILLINGNESS are two different things.

I'll say the same thing I said last time the new console generation came up...It would behoove the Big 3 to wait until people actually had the cash on hand to blow on new consoles before putting them out.

So, wait... 63% of people believe that Apple will break with their four-years-running tradition and NOT release a new iPod touch/iPhone generation this year? Despite the prevalent rumors concerning features to be included in the presumed iPhone 5?

I think this poll may be fundamentally flawed...

Futureshop in Canada is having a rather big Xbox 360 related sales until the 5th of June which is right before E3, made a joke of them trying to rid 360 stock before a console launch and the joke didn't seem too far fetched.

I still think that they can get so much more out of this generation of consoles.

Also...YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY MONEY ALIVE!

My xbox does the job it needs to, and developers keep pushing limitations forward with each new game, so until we finally hit a dead end wall in what the current gen can achieve, I see no reason why we need new Xbox or Playstation, although I don't think anyone can deny the Wii could do with some upgrades, to at least get it closer to the standards of it's counter parts

consoles are fine. make better games.

A quarter of gamers? That seems kind of low to me. I believe the numbers, but I would've hoped the level of interest would be greater. I guess I'm still a little too attached to consoles in general.

So basically I'm not going to have to upgrade my PC for some time, eh?

I think most people suspect that the traditional "whoa!" effect with the graphical presentation is not going to happen.
Maybe the new consoles will have the lowest pricetag ever for new releases and/or are sturdy pieces of machinery again. Something young kids could play with and get it down from the attic in 20 years to play again.

The consoles will have faster hardware. I just hope it wont be built as laughably flimsy as today's consoles.

I don't see why the iPhone and iPod Touch are put there. This is Apple we're talking about. It's a no-brainer that a new hardware iteration will be out every year.

And I don't see a point for the next generation of consoles to come out within the next year or two. For Nintendo, yes, seeing as the Wii is pretty much dead in the water. For the rest, no. There's a lot that can still be done with this current generation of hardware.

I am far far more interested in PC games that don't suck because of consoles.

No, I'm not interested in buying a new console if all the companies are going to follow the same pattern they did this time and release twelve different iterations of the damned things.

Shit, there were two different PS2's. One was smaller and quieter than the other and had an ethernet port, that was it. Otherwise there were no extra features. This time, the PS3 has been slowly stripped of features, assumedly to drive the price down but why the hell would you remove the Other OS option and give us shit no one cares about like PS Home? And what the hell is "Qriocity" anyway?

Funny how Nintendo makes a million different handheld versions and only one console...

Why do Sony and Microsoft even need to put out a new console? The graphics are more then enough as it is, only lack Primary Memory...

I suppose when the next generation rolls around ill buy either one of the Japanese consoles. Depending on which gets the first Monster Hunter title i suppose.

As for M$' contribution... After last time i dont want to think about it.

HankMan:
I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360 thankyouverymuch!

Until Microsoft cuts support to it.

1 in 4 is only 25% , thus meaning 75% of gamers show no or little interest in a new console. Having a new console now ( or winthing the next year ) would be a bad idea. with the recent release of the Xbox kinect and that ps3 thing ( sorry dont remember the name ) gamers already have something reletively new the play with and a new console would not sell as much is potentially possible. what would need to be done , is to slow down ( not stop) the production of games, and let gamers bask a while in what they have , just long enough that they long for something new, then ship a new console, to make the maximum amount of money and interest the most amount of people.

Gimme some prices then we'll talk.

If they're low, we'll talk about purchasing it.

If they're high, we'll talk about Spiderman.

Because I'm not paying too much for a new console. It took me a fair while to set aside money for the PS3, and I don't know whether or not I'll have the time to get it all on time.

Calumon: I need cakes! Make them cheap for me! : (

kebab4you:
Why do Sony and Microsoft even need to put out a new console? The graphics are more then enough as it is, only lack Primary Memory...

And the lack of dx11 support, lack of CPU power. The consoles are way out of date. These are the longest lasting consoles, it's about time they're replaced. I was beginning to think they don't want to advance the technology because fear of a cylon attack oO.

HankMan:
Would and Want are two completely different things.

Indeed. I think the specs and cost will be the driving factors between those two.

Well, I'm not. I want at least one more year out of my 360 before I have to trade up for a new one.

Though it did just occur to me my Slim is nearly a year old. Wow. It feels like I just got it. Well, I suppose if the consoles don't come out for another couple years announcements wouldn't be too bad, but I feel like my 360 has more than enough life left in it to last me awhile.

I would have to see what the new systems have, but I doubt I'll be interested in buying a new system from anyone. Not for many years anyway.

Mr. Omega:
"Real interest will be driven by features, games, and price, which are all completely up in the air at this point."

And that sums up why I think this survey is a waste of time. Sure, lots of people were INTERESTED in the PS3...

INTEREST and WILLINGNESS are two different things.

No truer words were spoken. If it weren't for that ridiculous launch price tag, I would've been with Sony all along. As it is, their console is the current gen one I don't own.

Just because we're interested in new tech, does not mean we're willing to fork out shedloads prematurely.

Im interested but keep em cheaper than last gen should be easy (since the tech is old) to surpass it but still be cheaper.

of course they will over charge you though ...

I'm curious, how difficult would it be for Sony and Microsoft to just make 360s and PS3s with better, more up-to-date hardware that are still capable of connecting to the PSN and Xbox Live?

Well it looks like I'm in the 3/4 of gamers who, after the this ...interesting... console gen, are completely pessimistic about the next one.

I could stand a new nintendo console, believe it or not my xbox360 is boring me to death as their are no games I wants for it comeing out in the near or distant future, but my wii and 3ds still get use and I think for me personally I have more hope in them for games Ill enjoy

Have no desire to buy any new console. The present generation is more than good enough, and I will be more than happy with the games that will be coming out during this generation. that's more than good enough.

I for sure don,t want a new generation!
every time they release a new generation the internet has to go through a fucking console war!

Jarrid:
I'm curious, how difficult would it be for Sony and Microsoft to just make 360s and PS3s with better, more up-to-date hardware that are still capable of connecting to the PSN and Xbox Live?

I think the 360 and PS3 both use the old network (until Microsoft updated the network to up the "friend" limit to 200+ "friend,s")

Not surprising, considering how much we know about the console.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here