E3: Sony Gives NGP a Real Name and a Price

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3: Sony Gives NGP a Real Name and a Price

We now know the NGP's true name. Sadly, this does not allow us to bind it to our will.

As part of its E3 press conference, Sony has dropped a veritable ton of details about its successor to the PSP, including answers to the all-important questions of how much it's going to cost, and what the device is actually called.

Sony has dropped the "Next Generation Portable" codename, and confirmed the rumors that the official name for the device is the PS Vita. The Vita will cost $250 for the Wi-Fi only version, and $300 for the 3G enabled version, and according to Sony, the price in Europe will be the same amount in Euros. The UK price is yet to be revealed, but around the £230 mark for the Wi-Fi only - the same SRP as the Nintendo 3DS - seems likely. Sony also announced that it has partnered with AT&T to provide 3G coverage in the US, and will undoubtedly announce similar deals in other territories soon.

Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens, motion controls and dual analogue sticks, the price is surprisingly low. This could mean that Sony is making a loss on each unit sold - although SCE Europe boss Andrew House indicated back in January that Sony wanted to make a profit on the device - or it could mean that the rumors that Sony had cut down the Vita's capabilities to make it more affordable are true.

The PS Vita is scheduled for release at the end of the year.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor.

yeah UK being screwed on price again, woop e do dar day. I love those few things that are cheaper in the land of Tea

Terrible name. Likely to fail hard thanks to improving cell phones, tablets, ipods with gaming abilities, and massive competition from Nintendo.

Wow... that's an awful name. Though it fits with Sony's existing line of gibberish V-words.

It just makes me think of a certain brand of margarine...

NGP = Nintendo Got Pwned!

I will need some hands on time before I consider a purchase, but it looks great from where I'm sitting. Sony seemed to learn their lesson from the PS3, let's hope this does great things for them!

300 euros? yeah, i'll pass. The 3g network in Denmark is fucking awful and i'm happy with the DSI i just bought anyways.

ratman995:
yeah UK being screwed on price again, woop e do dar day. I love those few things that are cheaper in the land of Tea

At the current rate, it would cost £151.85 so yeah, we are being screwed over, quite badly at that as well. Thank heavens I'm not fussed about the Vita

My first thought was that PS:Vita sounds like a weird name, but then I thought, so did Wii and we're all used to that now.

ratman995:

It's almost as if Sony doesn't know what currency exchange is.

Sony clearly issued Nintendo a challenge with this. I'm far more excited for this than the 3DS and I hope it does well.

Let me repost and paraphrase something I said in a similar thread.

1: Even if the Vita beats the 3DS (which with each announcement is becoming less and less likely), it's not going to beat Nintendo. DS Lites, DSis and just plain regular DSs are still selling very well.

2: Once the 3DS gets it's main games out (and one the internet collectively realizes YOU CAN SHUT OFF THE 3D! God, that complaint annoys me...), the biggest complaint for the 3DS will be moot. Vita is getting new complaint-worthy things with each announcement (exclusive to AT&T, price, no 4G version, ect.)

And some other arguments:
3: If they want to get the 3G version, they'll likely have to keep paying AT&T for the 3G, and that version is even more expensive than the 3DS.

4: Superior hardware was the main selling point of the PSP. AND the PS3. Superior hardware is has not been serving Sony well...

5: By the end of the year, a lot of the major first party titles, along with a lot of third party titles will come out for the 3DS. So unless the Vita has the greatest launch line-up in the history of the industry, it's at a disadvantage right out the gate. Not so much a knock on the system (After all, the 3DS had a TERRIBLE launch line-up), but it might hurt initial sales.

Logan Westbrook:
Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens ...

Wait, why on earth could you need a screen on the back of your console?! I mean, touch PAD perhaps, but a full-blown screen? Huh...

$250 = £230

Wow, I didn't know that. Good to hear we're getting screwed over again. Faaaaaanfuckingtastic.

I was interested in this, until I just heard that.

Wicky_42:

Logan Westbrook:
Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens ...

Wait, why on earth could you need a screen on the back of your console?! I mean, touch PAD perhaps, but a full-blown screen? Huh...

Ah, sorry, that could be more clear. It's a touch screen on the front and a touch pad on the back.

I said on this very site that I'd eat my words if this thing was under $300, so if you'll excuse me, I need to grab a fork and knife.

Looks spectacular, I can't wait for it to come out

ratman995:

I have several people to blame:
-politicians setting ridiculous taxes and import duties
-excessive regulations and government enforced guarantees
-so many god damn middle men wanting to take their cut

I'm going to try to import this one if region free games, I'd only have to fork out £156 plus import duty. Wait, just looked at HM customs website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#3

"The Import VAT percentage rate (20%) is applied to the total value of the goods... in the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable."

FFFFUUUUUUU!

($250 + $50 postage) x 1.20 => pounds sterling => £225

FCUUUUUUCKKK!

I might as well just buy local, those cheeky HM custom bastards, charging duty even on the cost of shipping and insurance.

Hmm, maybe that's why it costs more in the UK, they nab them with import duties also on transportation costs.

Wow, that's much cheaper than expected. If they release some decent titles (hopefully PS2 classics as well) then I'll have to replace my PSP slim :3

I like that it means life in Italian and white (in plural) in Swedish.
Wish it was white...or the source of life.

Logan Westbrook:

Wicky_42:

Logan Westbrook:

Ah, sorry, that could be more clear. It's a touch screen on the front and a touch pad on the back.

Hah, ok cool. Was wondering if there was some sort of bizarre two player action going on ;)

Did Sony ever think that AT&T might NOT work in all parts of the U.S? There are some places, like where I live, that AT&T does NOT cover. Verizon does, so for those of us who want the PS Vita, we're stuck with the Wi-Fi Version, which might be better in some areas. Like I said, AT&T does NOT cover the area where I live, and neither do a lot of other providers. It's all Verizon here. The Wi-Fi might be better/stronger than 3G's in some places anyway.

As for touch screens, GREAT! Cant wait to scratch another screen! Then again, I would be putting a screen protector on it to try and prevent that. My ex has a PSP and it was cool. Then he got the DS and that was cool too... I didn't/don't really have a preference. Yeah the controls are different and everything. The DS has 2 screens on the same side. What's the point of having a touch screen on the back? Multiplayer?

I want more details, and to try it out before I buy the thing.

Treblaine:

ratman995:

I have several people to blame:
-politicians setting ridiculous taxes and import duties
-excessive regulations and government enforced guarantees
-so many god damn middle men wanting to take their cut

I'm going to try to import this one if region free games, I'd only have to fork out £156 plus import duty. Wait, just looked at HM customs website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#3

"The Import VAT percentage rate (20%) is applied to the total value of the goods... in the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable."

FFFFUUUUUUU!

($250 + $50 postage) x 1.20 => pounds sterling => £225

FCUUUUUUCKKK!

I might as well just buy local, those cheeky HM custom bastards, charging duty even on the cost of shipping and insurance.

Hmm, maybe that's why it costs more in the UK, they nab them with import duties also on transportation costs.

Ohhh that sucks, I was just going to import from somewhere else in Europe.

FFS

We get screwed over for everything in the UK. It's a joke.

I really only am surprised by the price. I was thinking a 400-500 range but the price is nice. Though game-wise Vita is really lacking for me. Price really doesn't mean anything if there is absolutely nothing I want for it.

Calling it the PSV makes me slightly less edgy.

I don't know. Its actually priced pretty well and the hardware is in good formfactor, but it all comes down to the games. Currently, my only handheld is a first generation PSP and a DS Lite, and they are both perfectly serviceable (the DS lite a bit more because the better selection of games). I refuse to buy a 3DS because I think its monumentally stupid, even if Nintendo is trying to grease palms with ports of popular franchises (Like always). The likelyhood of me buying a PSV is slim to none, and that slim hinges on a library of good games for the device, but its good to see they at least made the price point not agonizing.

On a Side note, Sorry bout that Brits. Stiff upper lip. (But in all seriousness, sorry, that blows.)

Dear Sony,

No thanks :)

Love,
A person who bought your PSPGO!

Abandon4093:
$250 = £230

Wow, I didn't know that. Good to hear we're getting screwed over again. Faaaaaanfuckingtastic.

I was interested in this, until I just heard that.

Taxes.

It's customary in US to never include taxes in advertised Retail Price, probably because sales tax is simultaneously very low and varies so much from state to state. Some states don't have any sales tax at all on goods under a certain cost.

In the UK the government have a million and one ways to tax the soul out of you.

It's interesting if I try to import a PSV I'd still end up paying around £230 because HM Customs thinks they have the right to charge tax even on the shipping costs. Who knows what happens to large scale importers.

And then there are the taxes and expensive regulations and licences just to legally be a retailer in the UK. All in all, our government gets their pound of flesh to pay for their flippant vanity projects.

I'm not saying that applies to the NHS, America spends as much (per head) of public health as the UK, though far less efficiently.

A "real" name? Well that's a stretch.

Vita, ridiculous name that smells of a corporate pow-wow. The same people probably cooked up the name between naming two suv's and a cellphone.

I'm not a fan of the name to start things off.
Second, I'm in no way gonna buy this right off the bat. I'll wait to see the complaints or praises. Whichever comes first.

The tech though looks pretty good...

Was Sony not paying attention when the iPhone was an AT&T exclusive and how everyone thought the network sucked?

I wish AT&T would stop paying for these "exclusivity" deals and spend that money into expanding it's network.

Marudas:

I don't know. Its actually priced pretty well and the hardware is in good formfactor, but it all comes down to the games. Currently, my only handheld is a first generation PSP and a DS Lite, and they are both perfectly serviceable (the DS lite a bit more because the better selection of games). I refuse to buy a 3DS because I think its monumentally stupid, even if Nintendo is trying to grease palms with ports of popular franchises (Like always). The likelyhood of me buying a PSV is slim to none, and that slim hinges on a library of good games for the device, but its good to see they at least made the price point not agonizing.

On a Side note, Sorry bout that Brits. Stiff upper lip. (But in all seriousness, sorry, that blows.)

Good third party support, though it obviously depends on what those companies develop for the machine. Of course, Atlus/NIS can do no wrong, so I'm a little more inclined to buy one than not.

I am not a big fan of the name, I live in Britain and I am not going to spend £200-£300 on a handheld games console. I would much rather keep hold of my Nintendo DS lite that only cost me a £100 and I get a hell of a lot of use out of it. It's a shame too, as I was quite interested when it was first announced.

You know what's funny? The only thing I find exciting about the PS Vita is that they actually added two analog sticks.

Marudas:

It doesn't matter what they call it, all console have weird names.

X Box (a Box from the dimension X? too corny)

Wii (ewww, like piss?)
Play Station (a "station" for playing? A station is where I wait for a train, not playing)
Dream Cast (what is this a computer game device or a sci-fi dream machine?)
PSP (Hmm, sound too much like PCP, something criminals take to turn them into terminators)
DS (Dee Ess? What does that even stand for? It doesn't make sense)

Abandon4093:

Ohhh that sucks, I was just going to import from somewhere else in Europe.

FFS

We get screwed over for everything in the UK. It's a joke.

You have only yourself and your democratically elected officials to blame.

They are ultimately responsible for electronic gadgets costing 50% more than the yanks and Yoooou keep electing them! (snark)

PS Vita...add an 'S' in between and becomes Vista!
Oh Noes! (Dun Dun Duuuuuun)

I'm interested more in the WI-FI model than the 3G version. If I needed 3G, I'll just use a phone.

can we officially call it the "pita" yet? i like that better.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here