Akira Laser Cannon Replica On Sale Via Craigslist

Akira Laser Cannon Replica On Sale Via Craigslist

If you've got $1,000 and an amorphous best friend cum nuclear destruction analogue in need of slaying, craigslist has you covered.

Constructed by Eddie Paul Industries, the faux laser cannon is a strikingly realistic replica of the weapon used by Akira protagonist Kaneda to forcibly vivisect the physically unstable Tetsuo during the climax of the classic anime.

"This life size Laser Rifle adapted from the AKIRA anime is a one of a kind collectible. The perfect addition to any die hard AKIRA fan's collection," the ad states before helpfully reminding any would be otaku terrorists that "this collectible is non-firing."

Though the $1,000 price tag seems a bit steep for a non-functional weapon that Escapist writer Andy Rose described as "... cool, but it looks like it could be made out of a nerf gun, gas can and PVC pipe," prospective buyers should know that the people behind this mantelpiece are well-versed in the creation of awesome toys for nostalgic, wealthy adults.

In April of this year, Eddie Paul Industries offered a replica of that awesome, red motorbike from the film for a cool $4,000. That recreation was so impressive that it was originally used in Kanye West's Akira-themed music video for "Stronger."

As far as anime replicas go, that bike would have been the preferable option, but if you're willing to drop $1,000, have access to a nearby stadium and an overweight friend you can shout "TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO" at for a few hours, this laser cannon could be a pretty cool investment too.

The craigslist ad was placed on June 1, meaning it will be expiring very, very soon. Presumably the gun has yet to sell, so if you're in the market, contact Eddie Paul as soon as possible.

Source: Craiglist, via Anime News Network

Funny, I COULD drop a thousand and do that.

I never watched Akira, but should I be as confused as I am by the spelling of "cum" in the subheading?

Ah Craigslist, my favourite source of everything that's on ebay but shittier.

Not this time apparantly though.

Smeagol150:
I never watched Akira, but should I be as confused as I am by the spelling of "cum" in the subheading?

That made the entire article dirty.

If you get one of those high powered laser pointers the Escapist mentioned a long time ago this could be a functioning badass weapon.

A grand?

It looks really cheap if I'm being honest.

I'm gonna have to get in on this business me thinks.

Because I bet I could bust a few of those out for far less than a grand.... When I get some time, I might just give it a go.

Incase anyone from the Escapist buys this, let me just state that I am a overweight person totally okay with being shouted at in a open field/stadium for long periods of hours.

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO!

As far as anime replicas go, that bike would have been the preferable option, but if you're willing to drop $1,000, have access to a nearby stadium and an overweight friend you can shout "TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO" at for a few hours, this laser cannon could be a pretty cool investment too.

Couldn't my friend and I just, you know, watch the movie? It would be more interesting, less weird, more comfortable, and our vocal cords wouldn't be so bad off.

Forgive me, I'm not really into dropping big bucks on useless toys like this, but I really don't see the point in this one. It doesn't even look that close to the real one, I've seen the movie a time or two and I still wouldn't have recognized that thing if it hadn't been for the title. Speaking of titles,

If you've got $1,000 and an amorphous best friend cum nuclear destruction analogue in need of slaying, craigslist has you covered.

I don't believe this was meant to be dirty, it meant "amorphous best friend who is an analogy to nuclear destruction", but I don't think many would catch that. Might want a rephrase, Escapist?

This was easily the most memorable part of Akira for me, partly because of that awesome penultimate scene.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here