E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

There's still a year until the Wii U comes out, says Nintendo, but its games will look just as good as the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo's American arm, has admitted that not every bit of Wii U footage shown during its E3 press conference was actually running on the Wii U. While the first party material was all Nintendo's work, footage of third party games like Darksiders 2 actually came from other systems.

Fils-Aime made his confession in a video interview with Game Trailers, saying that the Wii U wasn't coming out for more than year by way of an explanation. He said that the Wii U versions of the games would look just as good as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions - the Wii U will be capable of 1080p graphics - although he wouldn't talk about whether they would look better, saying that that was up to the developers.

He made it clear that the Wii U would have much better third party support that the original Wii had received. He wasn't prepared to say that the Wii had failed to reach core gamers, but he did say that a lot of the third party titles hadn't appeared on the console. He said that developers had told him that the problem had been the Wii's relative lack of power, but with the Wii U that wouldn't be a problem and all that content could once again come to a Nintendo system.

I find it quite hard to get too upset by Nintendo using footage from other versions of third-party games. As Fils-Aime says, the Wii U is a year away from release, so expecting it to have games that far along in development is unrealistic. What's more, he didn't try to dodge the question at all, and was very open with his response. Obviously, this means we still don't have a clear idea of the WIi U is capable of, but there's plenty of time for that.

Source: via Game Politics

And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.

15 hours late on this dudes :P What was especially egregious was Ubisoft with the GR:O footage

I lolled off my chair when i saw that in the conference

laryri:
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Proof that people are too quick to jump at negatives before positives.

I'm fine with them using other platforms. Over a year is still a long time away, and I doubt developers would want to start putting in time on the Wii U before it's even announced to the public. Just my 2 cents...

Upset? no.

Facepalming-like-when-I-saw-Israels-Topgun-footage? Yes :D

I can't believe people were suprised by this.

I don't think they should have showed anything until they had some Wii U gameplay to show. Don't show anything, can't get messed up. Show another console, people will pick up on it

Wii U...

Meh, honestly. I guess I like how I can potentially play DS games on it.

So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.

Makes sense really. The platform is a year away. Few of the games are out this year such as: Batman, Battlefield 3. The footage was bound to be from other consoles.

I guess we got the bird demo for our Wii U experience. ^_^

The videos were not doubt just to try and emphasize that they are 'planning' to have mature third party support.

Well surely no one thought any of the gaming footage besides Zelda was Wii-U footage did they? They were just saying "these are coming" and that was it.

TheGuy(wantstobe):
-snip-

I don't play GR:O, what am I looking it, boss?

The.Bard:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.

I am not buying the Wii-U if it turns out it is only as powerfull as the '360 and Ps3. No way. Did that misstake with the Wii, not doing it again.

ChromeAlchemist:
Well surely no one thought any of the gaming footage besides Zelda was Wii-U footage did they? They were just saying "these are coming" and that was it.

TheGuy(wantstobe):
-snip-

They used the shareware version of FRAPS to get the footage from the PC version for the show reel.

By the time the Wii-U comes out I'd be expecting "better than" graphics, considering how old the 360 and the PS3 will be by then.

I'll still remain quietly confident however, I think its time Nintendo stepped up their play and this could be the moment to shine.

So basicallly nintendo is full of shit...

I thought that was the case initially.

TheGuy(wantstobe):
15 hours late on this dudes :P What was especially egregious was Ubisoft with the GR:O footage

I lolled off my chair when i saw that in the conference

Dude, you're a ninja. Nice work spotting the "fraps" watermark.

I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.

Caveworm:

The.Bard:

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.

you should seriously have a look at the specs this console is going to have before you make such judgement calls.

seriously.

This actually makes me laugh. I really don't think it's anything spectacular, it was just showing what kind of games we would see, not a tech-demo, so really, no biggie. But the lol factor is, what's already has been mentioned, that people already have been complaining that the games looks like shit, only on par or worse than PS3 Xbox360.
Personally, I don't really care about how powerful it gets. Nintendo has proven that graphics does not a fun game make, not even a pretty game. Nintendo knows how to make their games looks pretty with what they have and I don't think we NEED much better graphics, we need better graphic designers. That said, I think It'll be a bit better than ps3, and that's fine. I honestly can't see what we'll gain from more graphics right now.

(Ps, I WANT HD ZELDA!!!)

believer258:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Haha yeah. I booted up DMC4 and Condemned (hadn't played them in years)the other day and wondered why every had a plasticine look to them.

Gotta love how people usually cry about new ways of gaming and when they do get at least the potential to be able to have truly different gaming experiences, they cry about graphics.

Just goes to show, 95% of all gamers on the planet are full of shit :D

believer258:

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

so far the information is that it has a custom 3 core 45nm IBM POWER7 CPU, a custom GPU derived form the ATI 5*** series and 512MB of memory or more (consoles don't generally have a lot of memory but make up for it with streamlined bus architecture)

those specs alone make it far more powerful than a 360 or PS3.

Satoru Iwata supposedly stated that it'll cost 20,000Y (that's $250)

we've been discussing the latest specs over here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.289850-E3-Nintendos-New-Console-Is-The-Wii-U?page=10

TheGuy(wantstobe):

ChromeAlchemist:

TheGuy(wantstobe):
-snip-

They used the shareware version of FRAPS to get the footage from the PC version
for the show reel.

WOW! I thought that was just from whoever was recording the stream! But you just said it was you watching it, so why wasn't I thinking about that? That's just...lol?

I was just running over here to post this...

I think it's hilarious, personally. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft knew beforehand?

BabyRaptor:
I was just running over here to post this...

I think it's hilarious, personally. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft knew beforehand?

i think sony and microsoft probably have larger things to worry about now.

like their business plan for the next 5 years.

The.Bard:

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.

that is a valid point but let's remember those were games that already exist, for all anyone knows at the moment, the Wii U could be capable of much better graphics and much larger games, although in my opinion I don't think graphics are going to get much better than they are anyway, which in my book is good because that means developers can focus on other things, like Nintendo always do, (admittedly that doesn't always work but experimentation is good) sure the Wii was a flop in the eyes of many, myself included, but the Gamecube was my favorite console of it's generation. so as long as the controls aren't awful to use like the Wii I'll be happy

Makes sense, maybe, but they still effectively lied in a sin of omission. Being upfront about it in the actual presentation, not afterward, when people are less likely to be listening, still makes it offensively misleading. I consider it another strike against Nintendo and its Voldemort console (The System That Must Not Be Named).

You lost my respect once, Nintendo, and then you earned it back. You're losing it again. Don't expect it to be regained so easily this time.

Does it matter? All the devs said was 'Darksiders is coming, Arkham City etc is coming.' they never once said 'these are trailers of Darksiders on the Wii U.'

Microsoft shown Tomb Raider, Sony shown Bioshock. Maybe we should pounce on them too for not mentioning these weren't exclusives.

I still don't like the name, Wii U, it's ass.

believer258:

IBM released a statement and told Engadget yesterday that the CPU is a POWER7 custom design with "loads" of EDRAM (probably 16MB) and either a 4 core solution (most likely as it's what is already made) or 3 core one to increase yields and lower power draw/heat. 45nm chip atm but it's possible that a shrink to 32nm will happen within a year if they release with the 45.
AMD's statement talks of features available in the 5xxx series of cards so it's reasonable to assume that the design is based on them.
No word on RAM yet as whichever manufacturer they've got is keeping shtum but with the CPU they've got they'll go with 1-2GB of high quality, fast RAM.

The GTX 580 is way too bulky, has too much of a power draw and runs way too hot to be viable in consoles for another 2-4 years or so even with massive amounts of money going into R+D, unless you go with £100 cooling solutions on top of the chip cost and a huuuge box for heatsinks+pipes for it and wouldn't offer as significant an improvement over the 5xxx series of cards in a closed system to warrant the spend. It would also break BC with the Wii :P

Also Pikmin 3 is definitely coming for NWU which guarentees my support even if the platform is just some string puppets in a box.

Because graphics are everything.

They should have just made a tech-demo if they wanted to show off how good the graphics for the system would be. No-one would have expected actual games to be demo-ready by the announcement, nor would they have doubted that they were lying about the games that were coming.

Showing something from a PC-version and implying (although not outright stating) it was from the WiiU just stinks of dishonesty.

They should have just made a tech-demo if they wanted to show off how good the graphics for the system would be. No-one would have expected actual games to be demo-ready by the announcement, nor would they have doubted that they were lying about the games that were coming.

Showing something from a PC-version and implying (although not outright stating) it was from the WiiU just stinks of dishonesty.

AND SO... The only real measure of what's can be done (and done well) with Nintendo's new console is stuff from Nintendo. Quelle surprise

What I want to know is if that bit with the bird was genuine Wii U.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here