Spanish Police Site Goes Dark Following Anonymous Arrests

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spanish Police Site Goes Dark Following Anonymous Arrests

Hacker collective Anonymous is nothing if not vengeful, a lesson the Spanish National Police learned Sunday evening.

For those who have somehow managed to ignore Anonymous' widespread "hactivist" hijinks of late, I offer a recap of the facts so far.

From April 21 to May 14 of this year the PlayStation Network was offline following what Sony dubbed an "external intrusion." Anonymous was allegedly responsible.

On June 10, Spanish National Police announced the arrest of three men they alleged were part of Anonymous' "core group" and were directly tied to the PSN disruption. At 9:30PM Greenwich Mean Time on June 12, the website of the Spanish National Police suddenly disappeared from the Internet.

National Police officials refuse to confirm what caused the website outage, but AnonOps Communications (a blog linked to Anonymous) claims the group is responsible.

"The attack is a direct response to the Friday arrests of three individuals alleged to be associated with acts of cyber civil disobedience attributed to Anonymous," the blog states.

Immediately following the arrests in Spain, Anonymous issued a press release that, in hindsight, seems to be warning of this attack on the National Police website.

"You have not detained three participants of Anonymous. We have no members and we are not a group of any kind. You have, however, detained three civilians expressing themselves," the press release reads.

"You are providing us with the fuel, but now you must expect the fire."

The Spanish National Police website has since been restored, and unless my español is failing me, offers no mention of the outage.

Source: BBC
(Image)

(Edited to clarify link between Anonymous and PSN outage. We apologize for any confusion.)

I knew they'd pull something. Typical. At least it wasn't something serious like trying to get info of the children of the officers. Although given some time, I'm sure that's what they'll do. I hate these guys.

So three members (and yes, they are members) of Anon are arrested for perfectly valid reasons, and Anon responds with a cyber attack?

You stay classy Anon.

Your "español" is not failing you. There literally is nothing about it.
Also, ew, horrible website is horrible; Hope I never have to use it.

This article is not factual; Anonymous (and i mean anon-ops) DENIED involvement with PSN, they did not take credit for the attack.

Not really sure that logic works. Whether or not they "belong" to anno isn't the issue. Whether they took part in the hacking of psn is. If they did then they must expect the possibility of being caught and banged up. You can't bitch about having your collar felt if you piss against a policeman.

Talk about misstep. Now they've moved on to basically demanding that the police stay away from them, they are blackmailing the police. That's not gonna end well

This is just stupid. Anonymous can claim to be "hacktivists" all they want, but in my book they're no better than Lulzsec.

"Oh, no! They actually managed to catch a few of us. We best 'teach them a lesson' for doing their jobs."

Aha this should be interesting... *Popcorn tiemz*

I'm glad Anon still have their melodramatic lines. There's an interesting contrast between that and LulSec's brazen "Did you see that? LOL"

AC10:
This article is not factual; Anonymous (and i mean anon-ops) DENIED involvement with PSN, they did not take credit for the attack.

Not PSN. They took down Sony's website for some period before the PSN hack happened, though. In support of Geohot and his then-active case.

Surprised they arrested anyone for that though. It was harmless.

The actual news topic is incorrect as AC10 said. Sony accused anonymous of breaking the PSN as apparently there had been a callcard. Anonymous denied any ties to the attack.

I would find the news links but im too lazy.

Edit: nevermind. Fail post is fail post on my part it seems :D. Totally forgot sony got hacked before the PSN debacle.

Funny how everyone's taking the Spanish police's words without any questioning. It's quite an amazing coincidence that the ones they're arresting for hacking PSN also happens to be hacktivists railing against the corrupt Spanish government.

Ah well. I'm not believing a word they are claiming without first having been shown the PSN user database on their servers. All I've heard so far is they tried to DDoS some government sites.

Edit: Just as I suspected. These guys have been freed.

http://www.eleconomista.es/espana/noticias/3145118/06/11/Los-tres-presuntos-miem
bros-de-Anonymous-detenidos-hoy-han-sido-ya-puestos-en-libertad.html

Reuters:
"Spanish police alleged the three "hacktivists" helped organize an attack that temporarily shuttered access to some Sony websites. They were not linked to two massive cyber attacks against Sony's Playstation Network that resulted in the theft of information from more than 100 million customers."

All you butthurt angry fanbois can stop screaming for blood now.

These people were, in fact, part of the Spanish 15-M group. A little background info...

This goes deep.

Xzi:

AC10:

Not PSN. They took down Sony's website for some period before the PSN hack happened, though. In support of Geohot and his then-active case.

Surprised they arrested anyone for that though. It was harmless.

I do certainly recall this happening.

so.... are they trying to get governments to crack down on free use of the internet? If you attack government institutions they will respond. Idiots. Now they are starting to threaten all our free use, even if this was relativly minor.

Just organized criminals trying to fight against the law that's trying to bring them to justice.

Completely expected.

Oh for God's sake. The police were just doing their job. This is ridiculous.

Awexsome:
Just organized criminals trying to fight against the law that's trying to bring them to justice.

Completely expected.

I'm with this guy

Would these dumbasses please stop pretending as if they are our knights in shining white armor?

AC10:

You know just because a guy says hes innocent does not mean that it is exactly true.

JWRosser:

Come on you dont honestly expect criminals to just give in without giving a fight do you?

So, the three that the caught are part of Anon. I expect them to be sentenced to the fullest possible term for their crimes.

Anyone that seriously believes that Anon isn't a structured group with actual members is a moron.

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

You know just because a guy says hes innocent does not mean that it is exactly true.

JWRosser:

Come on you dont honestly expect criminals to just give in without giving a fight do you?

No....I guess not to be fair. It all just seems a bit stupid to me.

1. Yeah...sorry, that 'anon is everyone and no one' bullshit isn't gonna work any more. It was never true and people know too much about you now, you're a blinded cell-based opt-in organisation, it's not all that hard to classify because it's the same organisation that spy networks have been using for years.

See, you all almost had the World believing you were everyone but you got too active, everyone realised you were basically just goons and channers; two groups far from unidentifiable. Considering that Anon was 'potentially anyone' it always amused me how often those found would have the same rough demographic profile. Take AnonOps as an example; Anonymous isn't actually all that big. Oh it's big all right, but it's not everyone.

2. Finally saw V for Vendetta last night, most juvenile shit I've ever seen.

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

But if Sony says he's guilty it means he is?

I think I'm going bonkers. I'm inclined to side with Anon on this one. If the persons in question are being held for DDoSing the Sony website before the PSN outage, then Anon is right--it's a peaceful protest that only causes mild inconvenience. If they're there for the PSN security break, then they have reason to be there. I'm not sure which group I should be supporting. Odd.

Ahh, yes. Anonymous rears its ugly head again

I cannot wait for this cult of amoral cyber terroritst to just die.
Stop commiting crimes, damn it!

Earnest Cavalli:
snip

AC10:

Exactly.

Just like the last article on this, you guys ignore the fact that YOU yourself had been saying that it was lulzsec who had done this.

And no mention of the fact that anonymous was exposing corruption in spain before the arrests?

I feel like you guys are trying to hide something.

AC10:

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

No...it's usually where the police and legal system steps in and investigates to see what actually did happen. Like the Spanish police did...and Anon dropped their site.

Earnest Cavalli:
"You have not detained three participants of Anonymous. We have no members and we are not a group of any kind. You have, however, detained three civilians expressing themselves," the press release reads.

"You are providing us with the fuel, but now you must expect the fire."

I should remind you guys that this is a message from the Spain anons. The Anonymous protest movement has taken there a huge high wind after the events of Operation:Payback and MidEast revolution.

AC10:

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

At least they have more credibility.

AC10:

Why are you bringing up Sony here they have nothing to do with this at all. All I said was that im going to take everything that an admitted criminal organization says with a hefty grain of salt.

BehattedWanderer:
I think I'm going bonkers. I'm inclined to side with Anon on this one. If the persons in question are being held for DDoSing the Sony website before the PSN outage, then Anon is right--it's a peaceful protest that only causes mild inconvenience. If they're there for the PSN security break, then they have reason to be there. I'm not sure which group I should be supporting. Odd.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. You break it you suffer the consequences.

CthulhuRlyeh:

AC10:

MaxPowers666:

At least they have more credibility.

The company that put illegal root kits onto audio discs and were subsiquently fined hundreds of millions of dollars in a class action lawsuit has credibility?

I would rather trust the hackers with nothing to lose than the greedy company with everything to gain.

AC10:

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

Sony has said they must have done it because they found a file that said something along the lines of "Anon was here", anyone could have left that file. Sony also stated they may never know what exactly happened or who did it.

With that out of the way, I hope the Spanish police have more to go on than their IP connected to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX which connected to blah blah blah or "they said they we're Anon in IRC" otherwise it's never going to stick. Basically, they had better have incriminating material on their computers.

As much as I like hackers, if they left a trail and didn't keep their computers clean they have to expect this going in.

"We have no members and are not a group of any kind". Then what the fuck are they!? This is getting far too abstract. They're just bullshitting us at this point.

And since when is hacking and disrupting the online services of other people who don't deserve it"free expression". Does that mean that I can rob someone's safe or knock over a stop sign and claim that I was just expressing myself?

And I still have to laugh at their use of the Guy Fawkes masks. The real Guy Fawkes did not stand for freedom at all.

AC10:

This! The thieves just blamed it on them(who wouldn't?)and then they went silent.

MaxPowers666:

AC10:

Why are you bringing up Sony here they have nothing to do with this at all. All I said was that im going to take everything that an admitted criminal organization says with a hefty grain of salt.

This is fair enough and I grant that Anonymous could have done the attacks. Regardless, the article is still incorrect as it reads:

From April 21 to May 14 of this year the PlayStation Network was offline following what Sony dubbed an "external intrusion." Anonymous took credit for this attack.

Which, to my knowledge, never happened. It is factually incorrect. You can state Anonymous is suspected, you can state Sony claims they did it. But, in the interest of jouranlistic integrity you should never just make up things that never happened.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.