Rumor: Game Republic Shuts Down

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Game Republic Shuts Down

Its offices are for rent, its website is gone, and its CEO is missing. What happened to Game Republic?

Rumors flying out of Tokyo are claiming that developer Game Republic may have actually shut down. Of course, it doesn't help that the rumor mill can't get a confirmation or denial about the closure, since president and CEO Yoshiki Okamoto is "reportedly missing."

Lips started flapping on the internet when it turned out that Game Republic's website had suddenly gone missing. Soon after, Siliconera reported that the developer's offices are presently vacant, with a "For Rent" sign sitting in a window.

Meanwhile, Okamoto had a blog that has also disappeared. It's being reported that he may have fled Japan due to what's apparently a massive amount of debt, some of which is "alleged to be from disreputable sources."

No official announcement has been made about the developer's status, which makes this whole situation even weirder. That said, it's not terribly surprising if the developer did manage to quietly implode.

Game Republic was founded in 2003 and made some great games, like Folklore and Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (though these never met with a great deal of success), a ton of mediocre ones, and a couple of awful titles like Clash of the Titans and Knights Contract.

Anyone who worked (or still works?) for Game Republic should feel free to drop us a note and fill us in, as inquiring minds want to know just what's going on with the studio.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

I guess he pissed off the wrong guy.

That's sad. I liked Folklore.

NOOOO.

Folklore peoples!

NOOOOOOOOOO!

And Majin peoples, too.

Looks like there is now, reason to believe that there is NO chance in hell of there being a Folklore 2..

I imagine him now like Peter Bishop from Fringe, only without all the awesomeness.

That's sad. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom was a pretty good game.

But then it turns out that Game Republic WAS NEVER ACTUALLY FOUNDED.

OooOOoOOoOOoOOoOOooo!

hmm...not familiar with the studio, but it's sad to see another go.

A Gent of Villainous Intent:

OooOOoOOoOOoOOoOOooo!

Thank you, Mr. Shyamalan...

Vohn_exel:
I imagine him now like Peter Bishop from Fringe, only without all the awesomeness.

oh god now im imagining him going up to his development team and saying, I saw the future and I know how to fix it, we make folklore 2, then he dissapers and no one remebers him

zdog jr:

Vohn_exel:

oh god now im imagining him going up to his development team and saying, I saw the future and I know how to fix it, we make folklore 2, then he dissapers and no one remebers him

Except for 11 forum goers that all know he was there!

Hey, they made the Settlers of Cataan PSN game! Weird.

Dr. wonderful:
I guess he pissed off the wrong guy.

That's sad. I liked Folklore.

Aye, it was like Pokemon, but instead of throwing pokeballs on their faces, you ripped out their souls and took them for yourself!

No offense to the Game Republic. They're a good bunch of people. But when I saw the new title, my first thought was "The Old Republic shuts down" and my heart skipped a beat.

Still sad to see though.

OooOOoOOoOOoOOoOOooo!

o_O That was actually what I was thinking while reading the article... until I got to the part where it said that he might have fled the country due to debt.

Well if their buildings are abandoned and nobody can be contacted about it, I'd say they're shut down. Probably not just a rumor.

OooOOoOOoOOoOOoOOooo!

Shit! Bastard went back in time, didn't he?

As far as I know Japan has a pretty iffy system when it comes to credit, repo and the shame surrounding it - So I don't think there's any way in hell that the CEO would ever want to be found if the company did go under.

I haven't played their games mysel though so I can't say much about those.

damn i like knights contract folklore and majin

I'm gonna say they pulled a Vigor Gaming. But that's just me.

It's an ARG! It always is!
I hope it'll be good! :D

OooOOoOOoOOoOOoOOooo!

Game Republic just went timey wimey on us?

OT: I feel that I should know them from somewhere, but not because of the games mentioned. (I have none of those ones, you see.)

Onyx Oblivion:
NOOOO.

Folklore peoples!

NOOOOOOOOOO!

And Majin peoples, too.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

That sums up my feelings as well.

Borrowed from "disreputable sources", eh? I'll bet that Mr. Okamoto's sleeping with the koi.

Pity. I actually liked what I saw of Folklore.
Not enough to make me buy a PS3, but it was pretty neat; a refreshing change from the jackboot march of brown-and-gray shooters anyway.

The only game I played of theirs was Majin, and I'm definitely interested in Folklore. Hopefully they're not gone for good. Yeah, the company has made some bad games, but they have potential.

I know Knight's Contract sucked, but I absolutely loved Majin and Folklore (And was kind of hoping to see a sequel to the latter to fill in some plot holes)

Where will I get my fill of pretty games with butterflies and purple now? ;_;

At first I was indifferent, then I read that they made Folklore and I sadded. I should finish Folklore in honour now, but I can't seem to get past Brigantia (the sea monster Folklore) with Ellen. I know how but he keeps getting me somehow. >.<

Remove any reason for why he might've gone, remove the sign and if all the equipment was running, lights still on and the computers were acting weird.

This would be an epic mystery & suspense story come to life.

At first I thought this was about TOR, and I was like "F*%k."
And then I saw that it was about the people who made Majin and I was like "Double F*%k."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Come back! You don't have to hide from the Yakuza...like that. New name! New identity! New face!

That sucks. Now the residents only have the options of Game Military Junta and Game Dictatorship.

question why do you always link to sites that arent there anymore?

OT: don't know them but it sounds very supicious maybe even yakuza or whatever their gang is supiscious

Xzi:
Well if their buildings are abandoned and nobody can be contacted about it, I'd say they're shut down. Probably not just a rumor.

Heh, that was my thinking as well.

FalloutJack:
OT: I feel that I should know them from somewhere, but not because of the games mentioned. (I have none of those ones, you see.)

I've never played any of their games either and I recognized them, and I'm also unsure why.

It sucks if they've gone bust. I have both Folklore and Knights Contract and was planning to pick up Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom at some point. I actually like that developer, even if they did make some... esoteric design choices. Oh well. Maybe someone will buy up their IP.

vansau:
Meanwhile, Okamoto had a blog that has also disappeared. It's being reported that he may have fled Japan due to what's apparently a massive amount of debt, some of which is "alleged to be from disreputable sources."

I do not envy this man. Let's just hope that he's "reportedly missing" as opposed to "reported missing.". Or for that matter, that he turns up in one piece.

Sad.
Really liked Majin and Folklore.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook