Fans Take Firefly MMO Into Their Own Hands

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Fans Take Firefly MMO Into Their Own Hands

Fans are putting forth their best effort to bring the Firefly MMO back to life.

In 2006, Firefly fans rejoiced over the announcement of an MMO set in the show's sci-fi universe. Those Browncoats were let down in September 2008 when the Firefly MMO, titled Firefly Universe Online, was put on hold where it remains to this day. As with all Firefly fans, they just can't let a good thing die, and a group are restarting development on a currently unofficial version of the game.

DarkCryo Entertainment recently announced that it's continuing development on Firefly Universe Online in an effort to pick up where Fox and Multiverse left off. DarkCryo is hoping to get official endorsement from Fox and Joss Whedon's Mutant Enemy Productions, but for now the project is considered an "unauthorized canonical parody" and tribute.

Development efforts on Firefly Universe Online have already been underway for some time. The game features appearances from the cast of Firefly, canonical planetary environments, and multiple playable factions such as the Browncoats and the Reavers. It seems like it might have trouble avoiding a C&D order, but we'll see.

DarkCryo is currently seeking modelers, artists, writers, and more to help out. For more information, check out the Firefly Universe Online website.

Eh doubt much comes from it. Also if anything does you can bet fox and or someone else will shut it down.

This doesn't sound like the type of project that would parody Firefly. The show's fans are known for many things, but mocking its universe is not one of them...

Not that I don't wish that will happen; it's (almost) a shame that proper works simply labeling themselves as parodies to avoid copyright laws are still susecptible to being shut down. And let's face it, FOX aren't known for being the type of cool people to let this happen and send a simple letter saying the game must be free since the developers didn't buy the right.

Willing to bet that Fox will let them get close to completion then sue the hell out of them.

Well, well, well Looks like they making a MMO, what does that make them?

I say good luck to them!

I hope there would be a Jayne song quest...

You know what Firefly is. Jason form Friday the 13th. It wont die despite being killed, and people keep trying to bring it back.

For the love of god people nothing good comes from an MMO, especially not one where where character and story are the entire reason they exist, MMO's just can't do that shit.

Turn it into a good single player experience and I'm behind you 100%, but don't go dragging the name into that MMO mud.

You... can play... as Reavers...

The things that kill you, skin you, and rape you (in that order, if you're lucky).

Ohoohoohoo, this will end bad... Either Fox News will have a field day, or fans will be pissed at the lack of authenticity.

It truly seems that you Can't Stop the Signal.

zombie711:
You know what Firefly is. Jason form Friday the 13th. It wont die despite being killed, and people keep trying to bring it back.

THeres a difference. Jason deserve to die, Firefly don't.

Kenko:

zombie711:

THeres a difference. Jason deserve to die, Firefly don't.

Well that and Firefly rarely kills naked teenage girls at camp.

I say good luck, and also please let me help. :D

My only worry is that Fox would shut it down. Are they still holding onto the rights of the show they unjustly canceled? Screw them either way, but if they shut this down claiming copyright I would be very annoyed. But it is a worry.

This reminded me about how Firefly got cancelled, now I'm just sad.

Tom Goldman:
As with all Firefly fans, they just can't let a good thing die, and a group are restarting development on a currently unofficial version of the game.

This made me laugh.
I doubt the game will get finished, and if it is I doubt it'll be any good. Nevertheless, as a Firefly fan, I'm hoping.

GeorgW:

Tom Goldman:
As with all Firefly fans, they just can't let a good thing die, and a group are restarting development on a currently unofficial version of the game.

This made me laugh.
I doubt the game will get finished, and if it is I doubt it'll be any good. Nevertheless, as a Firefly fan, I'm hoping.

My thoughts exactly (and I'm currently arguing with a friend who thinks that it couldn't be bad no matter what).

I hope for this game, I really do. But my gut tells me that, if it does get made, it'll SUCK.

And my gut is rarely wrong.

Wish I could get involved in writing, but I doubt I'd be good enough. Although it'll be good to see what occurs.

I would love to play this game, but reeeaallly doubtful that it would ever get past fox's (or whoever owns the game rights) lawyers.

Oh well, fighting on in spite of the odds against the 'man' is just the spirit of the thing.

"Burn TV and boil the movie, you can't take the games from me"

I'm pretty sure that Fox owns the rights to the name Firefly. That's why the movie had to be called Serenity.

ZeroMachine:

GeorgW:

Tom Goldman:

This made me laugh.

My thoughts exactly (and I'm currently arguing with a friend who thinks that it couldn't be bad no matter what).

I hope for this game, I really do. But my gut tells me that, if it does get made, it'll SUCK.

True, but at least there is a difference between "Big company exploiting IP for money" suck and "fans trying to do a series they love justice" suck. And of the two, I'd rather see the latter.

If Joss Whedon can't see the wisdom in bringing back Firefly as a series then maybe he could come to some sense about a Firefly MMO. Doubt it though.

I'd like to see Whedon continue it in a comic series if nothing else.

This is a nice idea, but I don't think it's going to turn out to be that great, if it even gets a release.

Scabadus:
This doesn't sound like the type of project that would parody Firefly. The show's fans are known for many things, but mocking its universe is not one of them...

Not that I don't wish that will happen; it's (almost) a shame that proper works simply labeling themselves as parodies to avoid copyright laws are still susecptible to being shut down. And let's face it, FOX aren't known for being the type of cool people to let this happen and send a simple letter saying the game must be free since the developers didn't buy the right.

It's a bit harder to call plagiarism on parody. Look at Scary movie and Family Guy, every ten seconds something happens that is basically lifted straight from something else.

*facepalm*

Why would sh*t like Firefly need an MMO?

~Tom</3

manythings:

Scabadus:

It's a bit harder to call plagiarism on parody. Look at Scary movie and Family Guy, every ten seconds something happens that is basically lifted straight from something else.

In many countries it's not possible to persue a plagiarism court case against a parady, my point is that this MMOG is very unlikely to actually be a parody; it won't be poking fun at the universe and source material. Just labeling the game as a parody doesn't automatically make it one, I can write "this is an apple" on a post-it note and stick it onto a lemon, it's still a lemon.

ZeroMachine:

GeorgW:

Tom Goldman:

This made me laugh.

I'll give you some help with your friend. Fan stuff are never good, because they're too close to the subject. Firefly isn't a good source for an MMO, even though I love the series, their universe never had the chance to develop and isn't fleshed out enough. You could have maybe 10 planets that each have one little city from the series, then what?

Meh, as good as this sounds, I think I'll stick to my tabletop Serenity game :)

Scabadus:

manythings:

Scabadus:

In many countries it's not possible to persue a plagiarism court case against a parady, my point is that this MMOG is very unlikely to actually be a parody; it won't be poking fun at the universe and source material. Just labeling the game as a parody doesn't automatically make it one, I can write "this is an apple" on a post-it note and stick it onto a lemon, it's still a lemon.

But if you're writing a book and classify it as horror I can't force you to reclassify it as a psychological thriller because your history has trended that way.

Erm... Fox Network plus the words reasonable and not c**tish do not blend!
As cool as that screeny looks this wont make it.

Which is too bad really because I never actually saw Firefly.
Was it a spin off of Serenity?

I liked Serenity ^_^

Scabadus:

manythings:

Scabadus:

They're going to have a bit of trouble proving that it's *not* a parody, however, which is why they're labeling it as such. It's meaningless in terms of the actual game content, but it's a legal buffer against Fox's inevitable C&D. Because, as we all know, Fox can't let good things go unpunished.

OT: I don't quite know how this makes me feel, but it's certainly an interesting endeavor.

Dragunai:
Erm... Fox Network plus the words reasonable and not c**tish do not blend!
As cool as that screeny looks this wont make it.

Which is too bad really because I never actually saw Firefly.
Was it a spin off of Serenity?

I liked Serenity ^_^

Well, Firefly was the original series and Serenety was made few years after
Fox canned Firefly.

OT: The idea sounds good. To make it work is hard, but fans usually
do quite well when it comes to this kind of stuff.
The hardest thing though will be getting it out without Fox
getting their lawyers involved and everyone involved sued.

Riobux:
Wish I could get involved in writing, but I doubt I'd be good enough. Although it'll be good to see what occurs.

You could always sign up anyways. You never know. I don't have any fanfic or anything, but I have a few short stories I told the guy I'd email him if he wanted. Even if this goes nowhere, it could be a good entry to the gaming world/professional writing.

GeorgW:

ZeroMachine:

GeorgW:

This made me laugh.

I'll give you some help with your friend. Fan stuff are never good, because they're too close to the subject. Firefly isn't a good source for an MMO, even though I love the series, their universe never had the chance to develop and isn't fleshed out enough. You could have maybe 10 planets that each have one little city from the series, then what?

Fetch quest after fetch quest after fetch quest after fetch quest after fetch quest after fetch quest...

Caveworm:
I say good luck to them!

I hope there would be a Jayne song quest...

You have to sing "Hero of Canton" three times while wearing the toque.
Your reward is Mal, staring at you disapprovingly.

I'm going to FANBOY over this so hard it will make my eyes bleed and my thingy hard.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here