Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

Warner Bros. just won't admit that this movie was a bad idea and let it die.

MovieBob is pretty sure that Green Lantern isn't going to get a sequel, between its massive budget, underwhelming reviews, and rather dismal box office performance. However, sources inside the studio are claiming that Warner Bros. is still planning to make another movie based on the comic franchise.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Warner Bros. still believes in the money-making potential of Green Lantern. Even though the studio is "somewhat disappointed" at the movie's box office returns, the sequel is apparently still being pushed through. According to the company's president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman, the movie is "settling in", though he apparently explained that "fanboy pics often see a significant drop-off in their second weekends."

That said, Green Lantern's drop-off was pretty steep in its second weekend, down 66% in the United States to $18.4 million. That's way more than either Thor or X-Men: First Class did in their second weekends.

Reportedly, Green Lantern cost $200 million to make (though rumors across the Web claim the number's much higher) and even more to market; this is supposedly one of the most expensive advertising campaigns in movie history. The reason that Warner Bros. is willing to keep on committing money to such a mediocre film project may actually be that it needs new franchises (now that Harry Potter is due to end so soon and Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy will be finished come next year).

What Warner Bros. might want to consider - if this sequel actually happens - is to make the movie into something that's actually good.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

I WANT a GOOD Green Lantern movie. I can only hope they do it right the next time around.

Moviebob predicted this in his last "mail" episode, we should take this with a grain of salt.

... You know, I didn't see all of it (I got to the show late), but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying.

It was no means GOOD, but I didn't think it was too bad. Then again, I could have missed something. Eh, who knows.

OR they could make a sequel to Halle Berry's Catwoman. And dont you dare get rid of Halle Berry

To early to call for a reboot?

Kidding kidding.

Movie Bob predicted they would say stuff like this for a few months till the directer pulls out, its the Hollywood strategic withdrawl.

CM156:
... You know, I didn't see all of it (I got to the show late), but I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying.

It was no means GOOD, but I didn't think it was too bad. Then again, I could have missed something. Eh, who knows.

I agree on that. Hell, my grandmother (who's not into comic books in the slightest, btw) said she didn't mind it, but it wasn't as good as Thor. Next movie she's excited for? Captain goddamn America!

But to get back to the topic at hand, if they do decide to do a sequel, I'd like to see them explore the emotional spectrum a little more, maybe feature a certain blue Earth cat with a red ring...

Moviebob predicted this. Nobody wants to admit they churned out a turd, so they claim everything is full-steam ahead until people have more or less forgotten about it.

I guess this is a good place to talk about this.

I actually really like the costume. Its CGI nature is properly representative of the fact that the costume itself is a part of the ring's power. And the "veins" are representative of the lifeblood of Green Lantern.

It could have been executed a little better. but over all I like the concept.

A Green Lantern movie is not a 'bad idea', it was just poorly executed.

I never noticed how stupid his feet looked in the costume.
as for a sequel, since I didn't exactly hate the first one, I'd probably give it a shot to surprise me.

I thought Green Lantern was pretty awesome. Not sure why there is so much hatred for it. Seemed like what a Green Lantern movie should of been. idk.

CM156:

I think ppl are just bitching more then they should be about it. The movie wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either, it felt like most other super hero origins movie, but had a bit of A.D.D and couldn't focus on a specific plot to develop but in the end was still entertaining enough to watch. Wolverines solo movie was 10X worst then latern and it didn't get as much shit tossed on it.

some of my friends were trying to get me to go to a mall and see a movie with them, but I was like "only if y'all decide to watch something that's not the Green Lantern" so they changed it to Kung Fu Panda 2 and I'm going with them tomorrow...

the only real interest I had in the film was that Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett!) is in it, but I know he only has a small part haha

GiantRaven:
A Green Lantern movie is not a 'bad idea', it was just poorly executed.

Exactly, all the complains about the movie that I have read point to decisions made by people that didn't understand the appeal of the franchise... its not like a good Green Lantern movie can't be done.

I want another Green Lantern movie.

Just not a sequel to that one.

I assumed that Nolan's Batman trilogy was ending, but he was seeding "sequels" in the same vein but with different mains.

Catwoman is being placed into his film, so that's a spin off that's viable - with Robin being introduced in a runalong with the Dark Knight Rises could be very good. Like an observer and silent helper.

Seems a shame to burn the franchise when clearly the dark theme fits perfectly, and plenty of villains still not used. Dr. Freeze and Poison Ivy I'm very keen to see.

It hasn't even opened worldwide yet, which alone makes all of these arguments against the films box office success worthless - numerous films have broken even or made bigger numbers once they've been released overseas from their homes.

As for Bob's tired fanboy ranting, I'd take all of it as a grain of salt.

Good. I liked the film, it wasn't brilliant but it was okay. A sequel with Sinestro as the main villain could easily be awesome if they learn the lessons from this film.

To be honest, GL was doomed to be shite from the beginning. One of the scripts had it as a comedy with Jack Black in the lead role for fuck sake.

Axe Ryan Renolds. Just fucking do it, even from the trailers he looks terrible in GL, not to say he can't do good elsewhere, just not in GL. Hal Jordan does not say "I know right?"...ugh. RAAAGE.

The best thing they could do was change Earth GL to John Stewart, Guy Gardener or Kyle Rayner to save face, mix the story up a bit to have Sinestro kill Hal at the start of number 2 (in order for a suitable actor to play the lead role with whichever Human lantern gets picked), and be Nemesis to Rayner or something. I know it's not the proper story, but they can at least pass it off as an alternate timeline because it's so different. That and actually have the rest of the Green Lantern Corps in it this time.

That and change the outfit to just be a standard outfit, designed by whoever did the designs for Batman, it'll look good that way without looking out of place, or costing them a fortune in terrible looking CGI.

Besides we still have the upcoming GL series made by Bruce Timm, which is going to kick ass, I'm not fond of the animation style, but I'm sure the rest of it will be as solid as the rest of his work.

While we're at it, relaunch Justice League damn it!

There's no reason why DC can't make a good sequel to this piece of shit.

For one thing there have been 4 different human green lanterns. You could continue the franchise while forgetting Ryan Reynolds and everything that happened in the first movie. Make it about John Stewart!

I really don't get it. I liked the movie. I don't see what was so bad.

EDIT: I'm assuming the backlash is coming from the movie being very different from the original story (which I never got the chance to read.)

I havnt seen it or read the comics but even i knew that Parralax (bad spelling) was a major enemy in the comics. I dont get how comicbook movies cant be awesome. Even Superman had super fights with Zod in Superman. Why cant we, with todays tech, have major fights in a movie? Superman Returns sucked, and i swear if the reboot has no supervillian that can go toe to toe with supes i will kill the director and writer. Lex Luthor is boring as hell.

Crap. Sorry. OT. Green Lantern should have been awesome. $150million should have seen to that. Sometimes i think they should have gone the Batman route (Michael Keaton one) and have him as Green Lantern at the start and have his back story in how he got the ring either in flashbacks or mentioned in dialogue.

RandallJohn:
I really don't get it. I liked the movie. I don't see what was so bad.

EDIT: I'm assuming the backlash is coming from the movie being very different from the original story (which I never got the chance to read.)

It wasn't that, I can deal with different stories for the purposes of a 2 hour movie for time constraints and what not, it's just that the movie itself was bad, even just as a stand alone movie. Ryan Reynolds doesn't fit the setting, the CGI was awful, the cinematography and script were sub par and the story flits about schizophrenically, due to it being the bastard child of loads of different scripts. It's been panned by all critics pretty much, and it's safe to assume a lot of them don't have any back story or prior interest in Green Lantern.

Read Moviebobs fanboi free review for the details.

Not G. Ivingname:
Moviebob predicted this in his last "mail" episode, we should take this with a grain of salt.

+1

Hollywood is nothing but a spin machine and admitting defeat like when Joel Schumacher apologized for Batman and Robin, is rare and usually happens many years later.

But then, Fantastic Four still got a sequel.

Dungeons & Dragons got a sequel. Direct to DVD and kind of swept the entire first movie under the rug, but it's a sequel nevertheless.

So there may yet be a Green Lantern 2.

There might be a Green Lantern reboot.

They might make a movie about the Inferior Five.

That would be eight different kinds of awesome.

Dear Warner Bros.

If you have money to burn then please give me some. I'd settle for $1 million.

Thanks

Aaron

the antithesis:

Not G. Ivingname:

+1

Hollywood is nothing but a spin machine and admitting defeat like when Joel Schumacher apologized for Batman and Robin, is rare and usually happens many years later.

Dungeons & Dragons got a sequel. Direct to DVD and kind of swept the entire first movie under the rug, but it's a sequel nevertheless.

So THATs where Merryman originates :P Nice to see them sticking him in Final Crisis where he was actually quite an important character

Given that it so far has failed to break even at the box office even disregarding the marketing costs, I agree with the MovieBob theory that this will get stuck in development hell on purpose.

Because there is no reason this film needs to exist, and people don't start liking crap just cause you shove it down their throats three more times!

the antithesis:

Not G. Ivingname:

+1

Actually, that would be highly appropriate. The super hero genre has been over done, it isn't making the same money and isn't as good as it once was (this film really shows that).

Wait, isn't this exactly what Bob said would happen?

I'm still not holding my breath on this one.

Not seen the film yet, but knowing me i'll like it. I'm easily amused.

That said i wont see it in cinema, i'll wait till the DVD release...

Roll Out the 29th of June! (seewhatididthere?)

I genuinely liked the film and enjoyed myself at the theatre even if everyone else hated it. Nuff Said.

This is not a bad thing. Punisher and Hulk got sequels that were much better movies and both recast the heroes with better actors. This sounds like a potentially good thing to me.

I wonder... will Green Lantern become MovieBob's Duke Nukem Forever? When Yahtzee was so sure of himself that it would never be released, then lo and behold, it was. If a second Green Lantern does indeed get the green light, MovieBob will be as humbled as Yahtzee was!

I wouldn't be surprised if this became the case. The universe tends to have an overwhelming sense of irony.

Ah hell, I'd see it. The first had its share of major problems, but I'm glad I saw it (specifically glad I saw it at half price).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here