Peter Molyneux Is "Ashamed" Of Fable III's Scores

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Peter Molyneux Is "Ashamed" Of Fable III's Scores

Peter Molyneux isn't happy about the scores that Lionhead's latest game didn't get perfect reviews, but he also admits that he understands the comments.

Most game developers would be pleased as punch if their latest videogame received an average score in the low 80s. Not Peter Molyneux, though. The man in charge of of Lionhead Studios was "pretty ashamed" of how Fable III fared with critics, primarily because he believes they were right in their evaluations.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Molyneux explained that the game was still one he was proud of, and that it will probably "net out" with close to 5 million units sold, but that it didn't match up to the dream that the developers had for it:

"It didn't end up being the game that I dreamed it would be, because I thought the mechanic of the ruling section were really good ideas. I thought they were good ideas, but we just didn't have time to exploit those ideas fully.

"I've been here before, and it just means that you've got to make whatever you do next twice as good. You're going to make the process and the planning process much, much better because, in the end, that's where you really suffer.

"...when I read in the middle of a review that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews."

From the sound of things, though, Lionhead is taking the lesson of Fable III and learning from it. Part of the lesson involves taking a "very different" approach to game development. Still, if Fable III is the studio's least-impressive game, then that's pretty good: Susan Arendt gave the game four out of five stars in The Escapist's review.

Source: Eurogamer

Peter is never satisfied with his work.

Fappy:

You know the old saying:

"A true artist is never satisfied with his work."

Mr Molyneux, you are one strange little man.

And yet, I can't help but like the guy.

Be glad you received 80s. I wouldn't give that game more than 50...

Peter is never one to set realistic goals for his work.

Really, we stopped being surprised about this years ago.

DeadlyYellow:

Fappy:

You know the old saying:

Honestly, in this case its just more Molycock, not genuine dissatisfaction, seeing as he said the same exact things around the time he announced the next Fable game.

I actually am really enjoying playing through Fable 3 right now. The story has me interested, the voice acting is fantastic. I haven't seen much in terms of moral choices which is what the Fable games usually revolve around. The new mechanics are simple, but also satisfying. Nothing like flaming lightning bots shooting in all directions.

Fable TLC was my favourite. Fable 2 was charming but didn't match the novelty the first had. Fable 3 I am really likeing, on par probably with the 1st. If they are making another and improve it further I'd be very happy :3

He does do this alot, doesn't he?

Hm. Well, honestly, hopefully it'll drive him to keep increasing the quality of his work. Now, if he could stop going overboard with the promises he makes...

Claearly they are taking a VERY different approach to making games, if the Fable I saw at E3 was any indication, they may just want to start from scratch on that, I have no interest in driving a horse across Albion.

Every time I've met Peter. What is quite a lot in all fairness. He always seems to be quite sincere and greatly concerned about his games and he does treat them as HIS games. You can see the personal connections he has with the game he creates.

Honestly, no more "Learning from your mistakes."

It doesn't seem to be doing you any good. You keep getting the wrong impressions, learning from the wrong things and making things even worse by what you think are lessons.

What you need to do is start back at square one and learn to design a new kind of game from scratch.

I've seen this before in many developers who lost their groove. They keep mistepping, trying to learn from what they did wrong and continue to fall into the same pitfalls. The best hope they have is to try and learn to do something new.

It's hard not to like the guy, but there comes a point where you think "have you not realised this is how it goes every time, Peter?" He needs a partner who can pick holes in his ideas before they get implemented, a balancing, cynical influence. He and Yahtzee should be roommates. And possibly fight crime.

Fappy:

That can be a good thing and a bad thing I suppose. I do agree with him though, the ruling mechanic was different and a bit more fun (Mostly for the fun arguments), but I was sad to realize it wasn't all that long.

I guess it's good to strive to be better?

better than be happy with mediocrity I suppose (not that low 80s is mediocre, but hey)

That's how I always approach criticism of my work.

Deep Shame over my own failings.

Well, on the surface at least, that seems like a good thing. If you can recognize the flaws in your game, it makes them a lot easier to fix.

On a side note, I swear Peter says he needs to take a "very different" apprach to all the Fable games. I'm convinced it will be a side scrolling platformer by the time we get to number 5.

And so the cycle continues. At least he's humble and honest about it

He's said this (roughly) with every one of the Fable games. "Such and such wasn't as good as we want. We'll do better next time." The reality, though, has been a steady decline in the franchise. Fable 1 was a relatively shallow game with some good ideas, poorly executed. F2 was a lot of poorly executed ideas (good, bad, and average), and an abysmal narrative. F3 was about as poorly done as you can get (absolutely horrible UI, ineffectual Melee, overpowered Magic, etc.).

So when Peter says things like this, I fail to care one whit. He will not learn and Fable 4 will not be worth my time.

I swear he said the same exact crap last go-around.

Be ashamed of your game instead and get your shit together, the best one was your first now go make more of that.

DeadlyYellow:

Fappy:

You know the old saying:

I was about to say the same thing he never is nor will he be he will allways grasp at the unobtainable.

OT: Yeah it had flaws it had shining moments though and some of it was pretty good such as the ending.

Oh god the symptoms are starting again!

Goddammit Molyneux, maybe you should take a break for a while, we'd all be better off for it

DeadlyYellow:

Fappy:

You know the old saying:

Also:

"You are your own worst critic."

Dear Mr. Molyneux. Please take a page out of Notch's game development book and do your next game in the Minecraft style. Get up a basic, bare-bones game and sell it as an alpha. Continue developing your ideas and fleshing things out and move to beta, and finally when *all* of those ideas are fully implemented and fleshed out, release it as normal. NOBODY likes grandly imagined but half-executed ideas. Look at Spore!

DeadlyYellow:

Fappy:

You know the old saying:

That, or someone who just can't paint very well.

OT: Oh look, its happening again.

The Fable process

Peter: Are game has all these amazing features etc. etc.

Crowd 1: Yeah, sure it does Pete - its not been that long since last time, y'know.

Crowd of gullible idiots: Yeah! Sounds awesome! I guess the last one wasn't that bad!

Reviews: Meh, s'alright

Players: But... this game is made for morons! Even more so than the last (which was pretty crap now we properly think about it)!

Peter: I wish my game gone an' done'd better

Rinse 'n' repeat.

Why doesn't he try making a game that's not for dipshits? Black & White had great potential - and had the benefit of already being good - whereas Fable is a mind-numbingly shallow ball of 'meh'.

"Peter is Ashamed of Fable III"

What, This is news?

Less Sarcasm though, He right the Ruling thing was pretty awesome but it came up short. Why can't I just go back to being a hero, growing up from being a kid to a fucking old badass? That, was Fun.

Then again, I went from 18 to 65 in two weeks, so we should work on that O_o

I really admire Pete. He has this aura about him and I get the feeling that he actually cares about the games he's making.

This guy isn't out to please any higher ups or raving fanboys that want the same shit spoon fed to them, he just creates any game that he feels inspired to create, and he does it with enthusiasm.

We just don't have enough people like him in this industry.

Dammit Peter you make it hard for me to like you. If it wasn't for Black and White 1/2 I would have no faith in you.

vansau:
Still, if Fable III is the studio's least-impressive game, then that's pretty good.

Yeah, sorry but the trophy for "Lionhead's least impressive game" most definately goes to Fable 2. Fable 3 was definately a step up from that failure... so I'd say Molyneux's already on the rise.

He said "It didn't end up being the game that I dreamed it would be, because I thought the mechanic of the ruling section were really good ideas. I thought they were good ideas, but we just didn't have time to exploit those ideas fully.

Then why release it if you wasnt happy....idiot. Your just screwing up your own franchise by saying that. Didnt have time? Make time. Stop with adding shit no one wanted or complained about...3d map, pointless clothes that add nothing, worthless dog, hand holding, marriage and kids. And stick with building the core game play stuff.....then add everything in afterwards if you have time.

I enjoy Fable, i like the game world and the humour. It annoys me that he is fucking it up and not letting it be the rpg that it could be. Not every good idea is workable, and maybe you need to discuss ideas first with your team instead of telling them to do it first without working out the best way to do it.

DarkRyter:
That's how I always approach criticism of my work.

Deep Shame over my own failings.

I do that a lot.

Hell, I do it every damn writing project.

Zhukov:
Mr Molyneux, you are one strange little man.

And yet, I can't help but like the guy.

There's a good reason for that.

This guy made Dungeon Keeper. That puts him permanently in my good-books at least, and he also made about half of my other favourite games. Even if people don't particularly like the stuff he's made, they at least have to accept that he tries new things. I personally don't get how anyone can dislike the guy.

Stop making excuses, Molyneux. It was a good game. Just because it didn't hit everyone like the second coming of Jesus, doesn't mean it was such a horrible mess that you need to apologize.
It's perfectly okay to be critical of your work, but you need to calm the fuck down.

I love the Fable series (yes, all the games) and think Molyneux is a smart guy (if a bit overconfident before things are released and a bit under-confident afterwards).
But seriously. He makes games that I like (and enjoy despite the flaws), but he makes me regret liking it with these apologies. I don't want to feel like I enjoyed a game that not even the developers liked. >>

Literally every single time he does this.

It makes me cringe whenever I see a comment saying "Oh wow! Someone who actually admits his mistakes!" Since by now it's just a pattern he uses to hype up the next game without actually doing anything different.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here