Capcom Fights Used Game Sales With Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Saved Games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Capcom Fights Used Game Sales With Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Saved Games

Pre-owned buyers beware: saved game data in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D cannot be erased, so if you pick up a used copy you're going to be playing someone else's game.

There's an interesting note included with the Nintendo 3DS game Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D cartridge: "Saved data on this software cannot be reset." What's it mean? Given that the game automatically saves information upon completion of the game, it would seem to mean that if you buy a used copy, you're going to end up with someone else's save files, including any balance-whacking extras that unlock when the game is completed.

It's apparently a new and admittedly creative way to discourage gamers from buying the thing used. Unlocking items and achievements is a big part of the gaming experience, after all, but everything will presumably already be accomplished in a used copy, and while buzzsawing through early-game enemies with late-game weapons is fun for a few minutes, it gets old pretty quickly. There's a reason you don't get the BFG on E1M1, after all.

Maybe this gambit will curb used sales of the game, or maybe it will just encourage piracy a little further down the road. It seems to me that a lot of people who are serious enough about the game to insist on having their own go-round with it are also at least semi-likely to just pirate it if they can't find it new - or if they think Capcom is unfairly putting the screws to them.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D comes out in North America on June 28.

Source: Venturebeat

Wait.... what? They are serious? That had got to be the most ridiculous DRM-type-thing I have ever seen.

What happens if you want to replay the game from the start after you finish it?

Next DRM is going to be treating games like the messages Inspector gadget receives. After you complete the game it is locked and can't be replayed.

wow, thats lame. They act like thats gonna stop people from selling and buying the game used.

Did it ever occur to them that the used game market helps convince people to buy new copies? Because people are more likely to buy a game if they can sell it back later.

That's one of the reasons why I found it hard to get into the PC market. There's no market for used games. That, and renting sucks.

So wait, it's a bad thing to buy games used?

Stupid. So when I want to play it again from the beginning a year later after not having played it for a while I'll have to buy it again?

I think they're also trying to cut down on the number of new game sales with this tactic :)

Gameplay wise, there must be a way to start a fresh game, because people do that all the time. Surely you're just not able to get acheivements and extras because they'be already been done?

*Above, money from used games doesn't reach the people who made them

That is the stupidest thing I've read all...

*checks watch*

This hour.

Yes, I have read more ridiculous things today...

Wait, Capcom honestly thinks I DON'T want to play a game with all the cool stuff unlocked first? I'm not going to get this game at its launch because I don't have a 3DS; I'm not getting one for a while. It's not even like this game has a campaign, what's the point of this?

Anyway, thanks Capcom!!

edit:... This game has Leon, right?

Oh, well, that is just the biggest dick move ever. Aren't they meant to stop piracy, not invent new ways for people to justify it?

LobsterFeng:

Yeah, because when you buy a used game, the publisher of the game gets no money for it.

But I still insist that the used game market is more helpful than detrimental.

And thus we continue the baffling trend of Developers thinking they're owed money for used game sales. And the baffling trend of putting DRM in a game that even saddles your paying customers with ridiculous conditions.

This just makes pirated games better and better, however, I would plead with gamers to take the high road and simply not buy a video game if they opt for stupid crap like this. Let their bad decisions prove more costly than any number of their copies being purchased used.

Wow, so if I want to start a new game, I can't because I can't remove my old saves!? The fuck!? This will just clog up memory space if people want to do multiple playthroughs.

My vote goes to hacking & encouragement of piracy.

interesting idea...... probably not going to last.

It's kind of funny to think of a drm that forces new game+ bonus' on used games.

LobsterFeng:

Apparently. few publishers even stated it was just as bad, if not worse, than piracy.

My question to them is if a used market exists for everything else, why the hell should games be considered so special?

The PC market has already been hosed. Can't buy used PC games. Which means it's a bigger risk to buy PC. And since very few devs offer demo's these days, it's a MASSIVE risk. It's not surprising to see people pirate when you look at the state of things. Though I'd prefer it if they just didn't buy the games, to send a message that we want nothing to do with people who put DRM on games and don't offer demo's. Then they'd get the message to offer demo's and not put DRM on games.

But life is rarely so stupidly simple.

Wow!
Congratulation Capcom!
You've found a way to screw the video game retailers for dealing in second hand games!
I top my head for you and hope that you'll at least break even with this game, no matter how good or bad it is.

*facepalm*

I give it 3 days before this particular DRM is cracked, and it will be cracked using nothing more than a refrigerator magnet and a kumquat!

Thats not what my action replay says.

3ds cartridges still use flash memory to save games. It should be possible to open the cartridge and remove the battery to do a hard reset.

and then, years later, when the 3DS becomes obsolete and the only places you could get games for one are at used game shops...

how much do you want to bet we'll even live to see it?

Oh man. I wish my pre-owned DVDs showed 10 minutes of the ending before the movie began.

Action replay baby! :P
As for that its stupid how they are comming down on used game sales instead of dedicated that to piracy...

"There's no reason you'd ever want to replay this game without a bunch of unlockables."

-Capcom, in talking about their clearly shitty game.

WTF? I got a warning for simply agreeing that it would encourage piracy?

well I have no intention of deleting my save data but this is rather stupid and pointless, one of the benefits of a cart over a disk is that your saved data is kept with the game and not the system, you would think that would be as much of a way of fighting used game sales as any since you can just sell the game back when its expensive and then buy it cheap and have all your data still

Now I'm regretting my intention of buying Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition tomorrow.

There is douchebaggery afoot.

Tenmar:
Next DRM is going to be treating games like the messages Inspector gadget receives. After you complete the game it is locked and can't be replayed.

Actually, if it was like the emssage Gadget recieves, the game would set fire and explode, requiring you to buy a new copy. and probably a new console.

... I hope capcom don't reads this board, we might have just given them an idea for the next level of DRM.

Tenmar:

Ih8pkmn:
*facepalm*

I give it 3 days before this particular DRM is cracked, and it will be cracked using nothing more than a refrigerator magnet and a kumquat!

Uuuuuuuuh...this isn't DRM.

They just didn't include the feature to erase your save data. There used to be a SHITTON of handheld games that were the same way. (Like Dragonball Z. GOD HOW I WANTED TO START FROM THE BEGINNING AGAIN. It stops being fun when all of your characters are max level and you can nearly one shot Perfect Cell...)

thethingthatlurks:
Uhm, the hell? Does the savegame data get saved onto the cartridge itself then? Well, what happens when you fill up all saves lots, assuming they exist? What happens when you want to start the game again from scratch? Yes, there are those weird people who like to play through a game more than once, and not just to get to an alternate ending...

Sorry, Capcom, there is a good reason why the used market exists, and why it will never go away. Such stupid measures won't win you guys any fans, or greater sales...

There are no save slots. Technically you could say there is a single one, buuuut...yeah...

Edit: What's the average age of the people on this thread even? Am I really the only one who remembers how this was the norm back in the day?

Uhm, the hell? Does the savegame data get saved onto the cartridge itself then? Well, what happens when you fill up all saves lots, assuming they exist? What happens when you want to start the game again from scratch? Yes, there are those weird people who like to play through a game more than once, and not just to get to an alternate ending...

Sorry, Capcom, there is a good reason why the used market exists, and why it will never go away. Such stupid measures won't win you guys any fans, or greater sales...

Pretty clever Capcom. But still, fuck you.

I....Guess....that is creative....In a highlander 2 sense.

so we reached the point where we don't even pretend to hassle our customers because of piracy.
this is just great, next thing we know the aim button gets disabled if you put the cartridge in a different DS, you can still play the game, you just have to knife everything

Do ten minutes of research and you'll find that this article is wrong; The Mercenaries is basically the merc. mini-games from Res. 4 and 5. There is no "campaign" to play, however, because it is an arcade-style shooter. There are timed rounds, and HIGH SCORES are saved.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_The_Mercenaries_3D

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.