Satirical PSA Laments the Plight of the Modern PC Gamer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Kodachi:
Haha the single tear parody was awesome!

Ah ha, I was afraid nobody would get what it was a nod to.

Always nice to see a new freddiew video. They're always fantastic.

That was pretty darn funny.

Wonderful video. I just spent the better part of an hour watching all the ones I haven't seen. His team does amazing work.

Jimi Bove:
"...The rise of social gaming like FarmVille (which counts!)..."

And that affects non-casual PC gamers how?

"...the heavy tech requirements for the highest-end games..."

In many cases, that's because PC can handle and often receives much better graphics. I will admit, PC hardware that handles the same stuff as consoles is significantly more expensive, and many games require high-end hardware because they're console ports, but I think spending a few hundred more dollars is worth the better graphics and the interchangable machine that I can upgrade less often than the length of a console generation for much less money.

"...or the always-entertaining topic of draconian DRM..."

DRM didn't last very long. With things like Steam and Ubisoft's online platform, DRM hasn't been used for a year or two. And don't tell me Steam sucks. Honestly, complaining about Steam is a very outdated thing to do. The convenience it offers is massive and unmatched, not to mention all the sales. Also, it's quite impossible that an American big-city citizen has more internet issues than me, and I STILL have no problems with Steam.

Look, I'm not trying to be a PC elitist. Consoles have PLENTY of their own pros, and PCs have some cons. I'm just denouncing the bias in this article.

P.S. Hacking is very large in consoles too, and it's worse because there are no dedi server admins to stop them. Also, it's not like consoles aren't full of assholes besides those who hack. TF2 has the coolest and nicest community of any multiplayer FPS. What does Call of Duty have? A bunch of little kids on the Wii and immature teenagers on the XBox and PS3. ...And both of those on the PC. Man, Call of Duty does not have a great community.

Nobody's attacking PC gaming here. You are very much taking everything out of context and trying to start an argument.

Just stop.

I watch that video and think "Wow, it's like a live-action version of APB Reloaded." Man, that game is broken.

Indeed, loading up cod 4's multiplayer brings me to tears everytime.

And I'm on a console.

I never understood these sort of guys. You buy the game, go to the effort to give yourself an aimbot, wallhack, etc, for what? So you can rob yourself of actually playing the game yourself? The only mod I understand is ones that let you fly. Because you can fly. Even if I used one if those, I wouldn't use it in public games, it's fun at everyone else's expense.

Ahh! This is going to make me want to watch all of his vids now!

"The rise of social gaming like FarmVille (which counts!)"

No it doesn't.

OT: That shotgun guy is pretty funny. Tea-bagging RULEZ though!

I'd hardly call that the state of any PC game, the only time you'd see something like that would be if you actually went to a server that encourages hacks/doesn't care/is designed for pirates. Plus the xbox has just as much problems if most of the posts on the escapist are to believed.

brought a tear in my eye too see all that ...its a sad state pc gaming is now

kasperbbs:
Reminds me of the time when i used to play CS, even if you do well without hacks everyone will assume that your'e a cheater, that kinda kills the joy of winning.

I always took that as a compliment, which made me happy. What they're saying is, "You're better than me. HAX!1", which is an admittance of defeat.

Great video, I'm subscribed to his channel, so I've already seen it. All his videos are insanely great.

There's a similar video from the guys of CorridorDigital, and Freddie Wong also makes an appearance!

EternalFacepalm:

kasperbbs:
Reminds me of the time when i used to play CS, even if you do well without hacks everyone will assume that your'e a cheater, that kinda kills the joy of winning.

I always took that as a compliment, which made me happy. What they're saying is, "You're better than me. HAX!1", which is an admittance of defeat.

Sure, you can take it as a compliment, but when your friends refuse to play with you because they think that your'e a cheater it's pretty annoying.

Multiplayer games suck because people suck. It has nothing to do with PC or platform whatsoever. If a game feature can be abused to cause grief then that feature needs to be fixed.

Why would PC gamers go to Xbox Live? The hacking is far worse there, especially for older titles like CoD4. And god knows how fucked PSN is now.

kasperbbs:

I've actually been accused of hacking more on consoles than in the 8 years I've played CS.

People, let's all join hands to unite as ONE. To stop all the griefing, hacking and glitching.

For fair and fun play all over the globe. >:'|

This wasn't bad, but I have to say I agree with John on this one. Not nearly as funny as Jedi A-Holes and Jedi A-Holes Strike Back. Those always leave me in stitches...

kasperbbs:

Only way to go is find a decent community server with proper admins, believe me they spot and ban genuine hackers faster than you can say "Aimbot", plus on those servers you get regular players and everyone gets to know everyone else and what their skill level is, so you don't get accused of hacking if you're just on form.

Dropping into random servers is just asking for a rough experience, I only do that when i'm scouting around for a new community server.

hahahaha those videos are hilarious

"the sorts that PC gaming would be better off without if they all left to go to Xbox Live"

Careful your PC snobbery is showing...

John Funk:
I'm sure you know the type. This video laments the hacker who aimbots, the griefer who uses a wallhack, or the jackass who teabags and leaves a shock-site spray on the walls - the sorts that PC gaming would be better off without if they all left to go to Xbox Live.

You know I cant really tell if you just have a terrible sense of humor or if that was a pc elitest prick comment.

I've been playing TF2 on occasion. As a player that plays straight-up based on the merits of my own skill(even though I'm only mediocre), the hacks and cheats can make it really hard to stomach playing for more than about an hour.

As important and detrimental as this cause is to all things good in this world... can anyone tell me where I can get the hack to spawn cars out of thin air? Because I would totally use that to spawn me some better wheels than what I am currently driving. I'm thinking the Batmobile. :D

...PC gaming would be better off without if they all left to go to Xbox Live.

See, I've never understood this. Why is Live considered to be full of immature kids, more so than other systems? I play on PC and Live in pretty equal amounts, and I've had less grief from the Live community than when I'm on TF2, or (God, never again) CSS.

When you don't have outright cheaters, you have people spamming the chat with things I'd rarely hear from someone on Live. If you don't have them, you have the sprayers.

Anyway, long story short, you have cunts on every system, because every system has one flaw: it involves PEOPLE. And there will always be certain people who are cunts, regardless of whether they're using a keyboard and mouse or a 360 controller.

It does annoy me when people discredit Live as being all immature kids. All I have to do is think of all the brilliant people I've met on Live, who've I've gotten to know really well, and then compare it with my PC gaming history, where there is no one I routinely play with, remember, or consider a true friend.

Im sorry but imo Live does have more immature pricks and kiddies on the servers. Thats not to say there isnt anyone like that on PC fps games far from it, but on average PC gamers are more mature. Ofc this differs from game to game, as theres much more kiddies on WOW then there is Eve online.

There is elitism on some PC FPS games especially the games that are mostly populated by clans, but elitism in many cases is just healthy competition.

shaboinkin:

killamanhunter:

Pinkamena:
Doesn't most online shooters have hacking prevention mechanisms?

Valve Anti Cheat can't detect wallhacks and aimbots and DICE's program Punkbuster kicks you off a server if you have Windows 7 and haven't updated your Punkbuster program.

Or if punkbuster just hates you.

You forgot that one.

Yep. Turns out you can't play the Steam version of Battlefield 2 unless you disable the overlay, because Punkbuster considers it a third-party program that interferes with gameplay. It's bloody evil.

OP: Saw this a couple days ago, and it's great. Freddie Wong is the go-to guy for Youtube movies featuring guns.

That's just another day in a TF2 server that doesn't use VAC.

I stopped playing multiplayer when XBL started charging for DLC (not long after Halo 2) and when companies stopped allowing dedicated servers for PC games which shrunk matches to 12-16 players like in the early 2000's.

If publishers stopped forcing their developers to make multiplayer such a big deal, jerks online wouldn't have to expose the single player game as shallow and mindless.

Oh and BTW, PC game sales are up 19%
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/

Hackers are rare in modern PC games today anyway, Systems like Vac + Punkbuster deal with most of them, and any that manage to slip through will usually get banned by a local server admin, as all good PC games have 3rd party server support.

personally I am okay with hacking as long as it stays in singleplayer

serously I dont play fps games but I have run across some hacking a-holes in L4D/L4D2
like one guy who used a speed hack to run ahead of everyone else setting off every single horde summoning thing (including car alarms) in rapit succesion

(though we did laugh our asses off when we survived the waves while he ended up mauled to death by a hunter)

Kimarous:
I watch that video and think "Wow, it's like a live-action version of APB Reloaded." Man, that game is broken.

And People actually doubt it when i say the same thing.

OT: Funny Video, sadly however its true, especially in F2P Shooters. Hell its more evident in Shooters in general than say MMOGs or RTS Games.

666Chaos:

John Funk:
I'm sure you know the type. This video laments the hacker who aimbots, the griefer who uses a wallhack, or the jackass who teabags and leaves a shock-site spray on the walls - the sorts that PC gaming would be better off without if they all left to go to Xbox Live.

You know I cant really tell if you just have a terrible sense of humor or if that was a pc elitest prick comment.

TimeLord:
Hahaha! Fantastic! Loved the rapid fire shotgun guy!

EDIT:

John Funk:

The whole thing is a little wonky. There are aimbots, wallhacks and whatnot in console games too.

Um, I'm fairly sure he was being sarcastic about the Xbox Live thing. Everything he mentioned about PC gaming is just as bad on console.

This video is awesome!
What was the budget on it?!
I'm so happy that there are people out there that actually want to share their talents for free.

John Funk:
Satirical PSA Laments the Plight of the Modern PC Gamer

Remember kids - only you can prevent hackers, griefers, and noobs.

YouTube user Freddie Wong has become something of a sensation for his series of rather brief videos that are exceptionally well-produced and pretty damn funny. His latest, the "Crying PC Gamer," tackles the modern state of PC gaming.

To be fair, there's a lot one could mock about modern PC gaming: The rise of social gaming like FarmVille (which counts!), the heavy tech requirements for the highest-end games, or the always-entertaining topic of draconian DRM, just to name a few. But in this video, Wong takes aim at PC gamers - or, to be more specific, at a certain breed of PC gamer.

It's a funny little video and worth a watch, even if it isn't as good as "Jedi A-Holes Strike Back."

(Via G4TV)

Wow, in an article about a satirical piece on gaming, seems a lot of people completely and deliberately ignored an obvious joke and decided to fly into defending their gaming preferences or like watevs. "Yeah I'm totally not being a d-bag or anything but you're a total d-bag and yeah well that joke is just like, your opinion, man". unicorncharliedelta... what? Escapist, you be crazy. Mission accomplished Funk, it's just too easy isn't it!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here