Home Users Are Some of the Most Hardcore PS3 Users Around, Says Sony

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Home Users Are Some of the Most Hardcore PS3 Users Around, Says Sony

Sony admits that the launch of Home could have gone better, but says the service is getting better all the time.

It's easy to dismiss Home on the PS3 as the domain of the casual gamer, but according to the services overseer, nothing could be further from the truth. Sony's Jack Buser says that the average Home user is actually way ahead of the curve when it comes using their PS3s.

Buser said that Home users were "rabid consumers of media and hardcore gamers," watching more movies and playing more games than the average non-user. Buser said that the service had around 20 million users, and the average session time in apparently around 70 minutes. People used it in different ways, he said, with some dipping in and out between games, and other literally spending hours and hours at a time in Home.

However, while Home is hardly a flop, Buser admitted that the launch could have gone better. When the service launched in 2008, there wasn't a great deal to do, and Buser thought that some people had been put off by that initial experience. Not only that, but Sony learned that just sticking a bunch of gamers in a virtual room together wasn't actually the best way to get them talking to each other.

"It seems obvious in retrospect, but it wasn't obvious back in 2008," he said. "We thought 'here, we'll build these rooms and we'll fill them with gamers and we'll theme these rooms after games and then people will self-select and talk to each other.' What we discovered very early on, even in closed beta ... we realized that gamers talk to each other and they meet each other in the context of playing games."

Buser was coy about whether or not Home actually made Sony any money however, only saying that microtransactions - which Home makes heavy use of - tended to be profitable due to their low cost and the level of traffic on the platform. The service isn't about to lose its "beta" tag any time soon either, as Buser said that it reflected Home's constantly evolving status.

Source: GiantBomb

I still think it's crap. It took me about six minutes after downloading it to figure out that I would have a more fun social experience in a bar or a bowling alley.

"Yeah! Our users are more hard core than yours!"

Way to win a race that NO-ONE cares about.

Black Watch:
I still think it's crap. It took me about six minutes after downloading it to figure out that I would have a more fun social experience in a bar or a bowling alley.

You had to download it to figure that out?

For some reason reading this article gives me the vibe that he's referring to the "hardcore" crowd as the type whose only social life is through the internet.

DeadlyYellow:

Black Watch:

You had to download it to figure that out?

For some reason reading this article gives me the vibe that he's referring to the "hardcore" crowd as the type whose only social life is through the internet.

Yea, well the guy blatantly comes off as a fluffer. He is probably just saying it to ease up on us in an effort to make us forget about the PSN outage.

Can you brown nose any more Sony? I think I can see a little bit of bare skin.

Joking aside, Home has never appealed to me. If I wanted to talk to my friends, I would talk to them. Or go to thier actual house.

Radelaide:

I think he's saying of the people who play PS3, the people who use Home are the more "hardcore" on average. Not that any self-respecting PS3 owner cares about that sort of thing either.

I haven't used Home in years, it takes an obscene amount of time to update each individual area, it's sterile, it's like playing the Sims without any life requirements and everything costs real money (and doesn't help in anyway)... it's just useless. The most interesting thing I did in it was make a maze out of free furniture in my room.

I downloaded home once, made my guy and all that. They gave me an apartment with a whole bunch of furniture. So I made a fort that blocked off the door.

Maybe Home isnt a game, buta weird behavioural experiment.

If you spend money on it, you're pretty much paying them to advertise crap to you. I'm watching my little brother play it right now, it's such a scam.

I downloaded it a few months ago tried to make an avatar and disliked the options, so quit out and didn't look back. They had mohawk's but didn't have general long hair for males.

I tried home once. I could never get my avatar right and there was nothing to do. So nope, apparently not hardcore.

home just sounds like a g rated version of sl with only humies

For some reason I read that as Sony's Jack Bauer... and then I became very afraid to disagree with the man.

As to the subject at hand, I actually liked Home. I first tried it late last year but after fiddling around with it for a while I stopped caring and just deleted it altogether. Much like with SL the idea appeals to me but the execution and the community is lacking. If all of my friends weren't PC gamers and/or Xbros I might have actually done something with it. After all, I've sat down in the Xbox theater with pals before. That was pretty amusing.

"Buser said that Home users were 'rabid consumers of media and hardcore gamers'"

well isn't that cute

Wrong. The most hardcore users all delete Home to use that extra 3 gb for even more PSN games and DLC.
PS Home. Rated P, for pussies.

Logan Westbrook:
However, while Home is hardly a flop, Buser admitted that the launch could have gone better. When the service launched in 2008, there wasn't a great deal to do, and Buser thought that some people had been put off by that initial experience.

Said as if there's a great deal to do in Home now. I downloaded it to look at the little E3 booth thing (which sucked BTW, just a bunch of low quality trailers you'd seen before with button prompts to view them that were quite picky about whether or not they actually wanted to work), and there was still fuck all to do. Maybe if the bubble machine still amuses you or you like extra crappy iPhone flash style games, but other than that I think this guy is blowing smoke up everyone's ass. All the "hardcores" would want nothing to do with Home because there is nothing for them there.

I dunno. I mean, this whole thing is just flagrant promotion of a product that no one really cares about, but at the same time, it's much tamer and less corrosive than anything Kaz Hirai has ever said.

I saw the words 'Home users' and 'Hardcore gamers' in the same sentance and just started laughing

Radelaide:

Except he's also not running that race. Everyone always makes fun of Home, either they think it's only for casual gamers or like Second Life without flying penis attacks.

He's trying to do damage control, get people to try it, and such. I wouldn't be surprised if they're about to announce some new feature or something, drumming up interest.

THERE. IS. NOTHING. HARDCORE. ABOUT. GAMING!

Unless you game while rock climbing or sky diving or whilst in orbit or something, that would be pretty hardcore.

If you strip away the buzz words and implications and such, it actually makes sense, more or less:

Home isn't (when I owned a ps3) a readily accessible or standout feature of the console. People who go digging into it and exploring their machines are indeed likely the sort to be inclined to use their console a lot.

An average session of 70 minutes makes you hardcore? Get the fuck out of here. Quadruple that and we'll talk.

NickCooley:
THERE. IS. NOTHING. HARDCORE. ABOUT. GAMING!

Unless you game while rock climbing or sky diving or whilst in orbit or something, that would be pretty hardcore.

I'm pretty sure that kid in Asia that played a game at a LAN center until he literally died was hardcore.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Ahardcore

In case you don't decide to click the link, hardcore is defined as intensely loyal. What definition are you using? Or do you not even know what the word means?

I tried HOME a couple of times, and it was interesting, though it was heavy on the "nothing to do" side. It's an interesting application to use maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time, but the constant downloading and redownloading of all the stupid rooms just made the whole thing extremely disjointed and artificial.

It's interesting, to say the least, and if implemented better I would like to go back, but I doubt I will.

Really? There are people that use that god-awful system?
I don't think "hardcore" was the word he was looking for: More like "Insane".
As in an insane tolerance for boredom.

What I recall of Home was an overloaded 3D chatroom with no real redeeming qualities.

I can see Home being used by stay at home moms. Ya know, when the kids are at school and the hubby is at work. It's like a digital Barbie experience (Being able to customize your avatar and a condo which most of us will never be able to afford.) with most of the same features as Facebook. Maybe the "hardcore" gamers are moms...

I tried Home once...for about five minutes. Then I decided I would rather play a game than mess with it.

While Home isn't "hardcore" it still does have a lot of interesting things to play with...they just cost money. Things like The Odd Gentlemen's Slap Happy Sam's Stage Show and Sodium 1's Salt Shooter cost money but are definately worth the 2 to 5 dollars you pay for them. Plus they are usually tied to a nice item to wear or show off in your house that nobody is going to see anytime soon.

Radelaide:

Someone out there does....actually i know there are many who do. But they are usually stupid so we just tell them to keep sniffing the paint. You know the people. The ones who say Farmville is casual and Wii is casual and anything none CoD is casual. Yeah...idiots.

OT: Hardcore. Just like the PSP...and DS....and Wii....and Potato Chips. Seriously who gives a fuck. It's something for people to do when they don't wanna game and have nothing better to do.

The Home thing is debatable, but not so far fetched. But I give credit to Sony for actually giving some sense of humillity a chance. Its a nice change to the naive go stuff they are usually spewing.

Here's what I want to know: when did gaming switch to hardcore vs. casual mode? I mean, nowadays, we'd consider someone who plays Tetris or Pacman on their phone a "casual," right? Even if they spend 5+ hours a day playing those games exclusively. But could you really tell me that Billy Mitchell is a casual gamer?

Radelaide:

Considering that most of my 'hard-core gaming teen-friends' do, I think it is a smart choice with that mindset. And who said they won?!

Nouw:

Radelaide:

Considering that most of my 'hard-core gaming teen-friends' do, I think it is a smart choice with that mindset. And who said they won?!

Yeah I didn't see any claim that Sony was winning anything, just that the average home users aren't really casual gamers... Is that a win in someway that I am just not understanding.

Anyway, I like Home. It needs more work definitely, but it's still pretty cool idea. I just wish there wasn't so much downloading and loading.

Sadly, the only people I know use Home are people who are too poor to be spending money on the service. Coincidentally, these are the same people who are pumped about Call of Duty Elite.

I'm open to the idea of Home- there just wasn't anything to do. Also- I don't want to listen to kids that I didn't give birth to, walk around and act the donkey or Big Guy On The Playground. Honestly, I'm just too old for that and I won't put up with paying for a service where I get treated like crap on it and have no recourse for filtering beyond on/off switches. (I bought the PS3, I pay the internet bill to use it- so yes, I did pay for it.)

I'm not really their target demo though. I don't like online multiplayer at all, I'm too old and I still view the appropriate place to have a conversation online is on a message board. I'm a fogey I suppose.

I'd like it if the entire world of Home was the game and there were things to find or monsters to beat. Something where if I don't want to talk to anyone, I can have an overreaching narrative or goal. Even something like 'find ten blue orbs' would be fine. They had that in the Ratchet and Clank area and that was fun. Only took ten minutes but still fun- so why not make the hunt bigger than one room? Why not have random encounters in Home for a battle or game-related activity that relates to a new release or some such? Home is ok, it just needs a bit more UMPH.

Hardcore... huh. I wonder if 200 years ago there were people who were HARDCORE YARRR! board game players and felt the need to separate themselves off from the other gamers. Which board game would be hardcore and which casual? Was Parcheesi for wimps and all the cool kids played mancala? Were hardcore board games the ones with fire, a cannon and a woman of negotiable virtue?

All the required downloading when you first start using it wears on your patience. I didn't care for it the first time i tried it. After i finally gave it more than a passing glance, i grew to like Home.

HydraMoon:
I don't want to listen to kids that I didn't give birth to, walk around and act the donkey or Big Guy On The Playground. Honestly, I'm just too old for that and I won't put up with paying for a service where I get treated like crap on it and have no recourse for filtering beyond on/off switches.

Really? I've never had that problem with the kids there; or maybe they do, and i'm just too old to pay them any attention. But i know you can report anyone who's being an ass along with the ignore feature.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here